Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

philbee wrote: »
    I had the same issue until i plugged the keyboard into the back usb port, couldnt get it to work when it was plugged into the front
    Same for me, worked at the back but not at the front. Have it all up and running bar sound. Changed the output to hdmi and the pass through to hdmi.

Is it just the driver I am missing? Dont have a cd drive on the device so not sure how to load them off a usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Same for me, worked at the back but not at the front. Have it all up and running bar sound. Changed the output to hdmi and the pass through to hdmi.

Is it just the driver I am missing? Dont have a cd drive on the device so not sure how to load them off a usb.

If i remember correctly i had to change 2 things in the audio menu the first option and the last option (I was using only HDMI and outputting it to my telly) something similar to this picture. I had to set both of these to HDMI to get the sound working

w99vlg.jpg

Does anyone know how to get openelec to work with optical sound.

Audio output: HDMI*
    Speaker config: 5.1
    Dolby AC3: yes
    DTS: yes
    AAC: no
    LPCM: no
    TrueHD: no
    DTS-HD: no

Audio output device: Toslink/Optical (cant remember what its called but there's only a few choices)
    Passthrough device: same as above

The important setting is the one in bold. All the other ones are mainly compatibility settings.
    *Its better to select HDMI rather than Optical for this setting, even if you are using Optical.

neacy69 wrote: »
    If i remember correctly i had to change 2 things in the audio menu the first option and the last option (I was using only HDMI and outputting it to my telly) something similar to this picture. I had to set both of these to HDMI to get the sound working

w99vlg.jpg
    Cheers, I'll give that a go this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Audio output: HDMI*
    Speaker config: 5.1
    Dolby AC3: yes
    DTS: yes
    AAC: no
    LPCM: no
    TrueHD: no
    DTS-HD: no

Audio output device: Toslink/Optical (cant remember what its called but there's only a few choices)
    Passthrough device: same as above

The important setting is the one in bold. All the other ones are mainly compatibility settings.
    *Its better to select HDMI rather than Optical for this setting, even if you are using Optical.
    Thanks I'll give it ago later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Front USB ports are USB3 and don't become active till after an OS has loaded. Thats why they don't work with either wireless or wired usb keyboards to get into the BIOS. USB2 ports which is what the 5 on the back are, are active before the OS. My problem was my wireless keyboard was not active till a second or two outside the BIOS entry window (The arctic Splash screen) ie. on the next black screen with the Syslinux thing across the top my wireless keyboard would print keystrokes across the screen from me holding down the DEL key. A wired USB keyboard was active in time during the BIOS entry window and got me straight into the BIOS to change EUP.

With regard to sound. One can have HDMI working or Optical working but not at the same time which is a problem for those of us who have the TV connected via HDMI and watch using the TV sound sometimes, but also have an older 5.1 amp/receiver without HDMI but with OPtical who sometimes like to watch with Surround sound whether that be proper DD/DTS 5.1 or Pseudo Surround with DPLII. ie. When one decides they want to watch via the TV or Amp or vice versa one needs to go into the audio settings menu to change settings everytime they want to switch rather than it be a simple case of turning on the amp and turning down the TV volume. A subset of XBMC users to be sure but I would have thought still a sizable minority, so am surprised that when the guys were building the new audio engine for Frodo, that they didn't find a way to enable dual audio. However, someone has come up with a workaround asound.conf entry but I'm waiting for Openelec 3.0 final before I implement it.

TBH I'd wait till the final if no one is having problems with version 2.99.2 because a bug which affects video playback crept in to 2.99.3. Its patched already in the generic but hasn't filtered down to the specific builds yet.

Does anyone know how to get openelec to work with optical sound. I connected the optical cable to the decoder on my speaker system as normal and changed the audio setting in openelec to optical but no sound. Also having a problem with my tv when I power on openelec I have to have the hdmi disconnected otherwise I get no picture once it's booted up I connect the hdmi all is well. Once I turn the unit of and on again I have to do the same each time must be a resolution issue but even when I change it to the lowest it still happens any help.

Are you sure you are powering on/off or just suspend/waking? If its suspend waking the blue power LED slowly flashes when the unit is in Suspend.

There is a problem with linux graphics drivers that affects all hardware no matter whether it has ATI/AMD or nVidia GPU's inside (ie. its not an Arctic problem nor is it anything XBMC developers have control over) that means half the time there is no picture when waking from suspend. I ran into this problem and the solution is to Disable EUP in the BIOS which means the remote will now make the arctic shutdown completely rather than go into suspend and which can power the arctic on from totally off, thus bypassing the Suspend/waking issue until its eventually resolved. Then I'll probably start using that feature because its a low power standby and you effectively get instantanoeus boot for all intents and purposes.

Open to correction by the experts of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Calibos wrote: »

Are you sure you are powering on/off or just suspend/waking? If its suspend waking the blue power LED slowly flashes when the unit is in Suspend.

There is a problem with linux graphics drivers that affects all hardware no matter whether it has ATI/AMD or nVidia GPU's inside (ie. its not an Arctic problem nor is it anything XBMC developers have control over) that means half the time there is no picture when waking from suspend. I ran into this problem and the solution is to Disable EUP in the BIOS which means the remote will now make the arctic shutdown completely rather than go into suspend and which can power the arctic on from totally off, thus bypassing the Suspend/waking issue until its eventually resolved. Then I'll probably start using that feature because its a low power standby and you effectively get instantanoeus boot for all intents and purposes.

Open to correction by the experts of course...
    Thanks for the replies it is from full shutdown that I have to keep the hdmi unattached until the bootup is complete. When the hdmi is attached from the start I get the openelect screen then just no signal. When I boot without the hdmi and attach later I get the basic resolution I then change it in the settings to "HD", but once it's turned of and on again it resets to blank screen again.

Can you confirm you are on a clean install of the recently released MC001 build of OpenElec?

Oh the other thing I couldn't get working on it was the skygo app. I tried using the app laouncher to load the skygo 1.45 and also tried the 1.46 version but with no luck. Prob a simple step I'm missing but google wasnt doing me any favours last night!

Did anyone else have any joy getting it setup?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Are these still available at this price or should I wait currently have Rpi and I'm having problems with it( different story)

Sorry for hijack, question I suppose is will this unit come back down in price?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Are these still available at this price or should I wait currently have Rpi and I'm having problems with it( different story)

Sorry for hijack, question I suppose is will this unit come back down in price?

TIA

I just got a reply back from Arctic Germany to say that all they have left in stock is a few units they are holding in the event they are needed for warranty claims.

It looks like that could be the end of them.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Do-more wrote: »
    I just got a reply back from Arctic Germany to say that all they have left in stock is a few units they are holding in the event they are needed for warranty claims.

It looks like that could be the end of them.

I ordered mine Valentines day (im such a romantic) from Amazon.de and it still hasnt shipped yet. 8th-16th of March is the estimated shipping date. Hopefully mine will still go through!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I see someone on the XBMC.org forum got this reply regarding the OpenElec limited edition model.
    Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, our Webshop has received so many orders and enquiries after the Chinese new year holidays (11th – 13th Feb.) for this item and we need a lot of time to process them. Your order is still pending for processing due to the high volume of orders we received, but we will ship base on a first come first serve policy, please allow a week or two for the shipment. Please accept our apology for the delay.

Best regards
    Arctic-Cooling Webshop

It reads like they have possibly over sold their stock, or maybe I am interpreting it wrong. In any case it's no longer available on their website.

invest4deepvalue.com

I'd like to apologise for these possibly no longer being available. I severely depleted their stock with the 6 I ordered :D

(Have 4 already and ordered another 2 on the 16th of February)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Has anyone ever ordered direct from Arctic? Placed an order middle of last week, not processed yet. There's no timescale indicated anywhere on the site.

Just wondering how long they usually take to get things moving.

[edit]
    Just checked, worryingly both XBMC options are now missing from the Entertainment Centre list :(

MOH wrote: »
    Has anyone ever ordered direct from Arctic? Placed an order middle of last week, not processed yet. There's no timescale indicated anywhere on the site.

Just wondering how long they usually take to get things moving.

[edit]
    Just checked, worryingly both XBMC options are now missing from the Entertainment Centre list :(

Read above, they were highly in demand and Arctic are up to their eyeballs processing orders. At that price im surprised they lasted this long to be honest.

Even early orders took 10+ days to receive them so if you only ordered last week I wouldn't be in any rush to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Hi folks,

I bought one of these with the initial vigorous rush, had openelec working fine, without the tuner etc. I just put on the new arctic rom and it's all good, but no add ons? Didn't work on th eprevious install either, but I was holding out that this would sort it. Is there something I need to enable or anything? All lists are empty when I browse the add ons.
    Any and all help is appreciated.

It's a great piece of kit, I'd love to get the best out of it.

but no add ons?

You just need to force refresh the add-on repositories. (highlight the repo and press c/context to bring up the context menu)

It seems to be happening quite a lot with XBMC on all platforms, maybe they have changed how often the repos need to be refreshed.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Moderators - please transfer this thread to mediaplayers, i can se a lot of helpful information for interested users. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Read above, they were highly in demand and Arctic are up to their eyeballs processing orders. At that price im surprised they lasted this long to be honest.

Even early orders took 10+ days to receive them so if you only ordered last week I wouldn't be in any rush to get it.

Wasn't expecting to get it for a while yet, just a bit concerned the order hasn't even started processing yet. Still, worst case I get an impulse buy refunded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aminemed

guys stupid question but when you plugged the barebone to your tv, have you made the display to switch to tv with you keyboard (FN+F7 or F8) or did it work immediatly ? i have an old tv with with only DVI with a DVI to HDMI adaptor and i have no signal on my tv. (did not try yet the VGA cable and i don't have an external keyboard)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Hi folks,

I bought one of these with the initial vigorous rush, had openelec working fine, without the tuner etc. I just put on the new arctic rom and it's all good, but no add ons? Didn't work on th eprevious install either, but I was holding out that this would sort it. Is there something I need to enable or anything? All lists are empty when I browse the add ons.
    Any and all help is appreciated.

It's a great piece of kit, I'd love to get the best out of it.

Have you added the repository? google search for xbmc repository and you'll get instructions on how to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Still a good deal?
    http://www.amazon.de/Arctic-Cooling-Mediacenter-MC001-BD-T-DVB-T-Tuner/dp/B005FYQKB4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361886875&sr=8-2

Looking at getting this version as I want windows seven so I can use skygo on it etc. At €260 is it still worth it? It's that or the Lenovo Q190 it seems - I'm never going to use the DVD drive FWIW.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-VE74AUK-Ultra-Factor-Desktop/dp/B00AXYAXU0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361887788&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

shoutman wrote: »

That's the one I got

Gave me awful trouble at the start but after reinstalling windows and drivers, its a great piece of kit now

I dont even hear it during the night while its downloading and im a pretty light sleeper

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I just found out my sky remote turns on the arctic lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Got an email from amazon today, Asus trying something similar with their old stock?
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B0037LQUP8/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=pe_155621_34734811_email_1p_3_ti

Needs a cpu but desktop components so more people might have them lying around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Headshot wrote: »
    I just found out my sky remote turns on the arctic lol
    Any more details on this? What can it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Any opinions on the arctic versus the lenovo q190 bearing in mind im looking for a windows os.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I emailed them a few days ago asking about my order i placed on the 14th, they got back to me this morning to say it will be more than likely shipping today or tomorrow, as soon as the recieve the stock themselves. Im moving house in a couple of week would love for it to be here by then!

Advertisement