Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotts

Ya it works perfectly, the stream plays perfectly in both hd and sd as i navigate the main menu, it goes a bit pear shaped on the pi, but thats to be expected. I'm streaming through cat5 and a gigabit switch. I get a full epg, program info and everything, its a fantactic add on. Picture is as clear as if playing straight from the stb itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just like to say how much I love my MC001. Its superb piece of equipment

Love leaving it on all night and download away without any noise

regarding the turning off my sky remote, its very weird and annoying. Basically my sky remote controls my tv. So if I press tv and the off button on the remote, it turns on my MC001

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

i think mine is broken :(
    booted up then changed bios to boot from usb key
    then about 20 secs later power went off on unit
    pressed power button and nothing happened
    removed all attached cables, still nothing
    checked power lead in a laptop, it works on that
    will email them in morning

its working now just left the power unplugged for a while
    trying to get wifi going
    will spend another while fiddling

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The MC001-E seems to be available on Amazon UK for £119.95 (€140)
    If anyone wants this, it's only (Including UK postage + Parcel Motel.) an extra €35, and includes a DVD Drive.
    It seems you have to use Parcel Motel.

€150 delivered
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B006WLMVG2/

2qjgdty.jpg

having trouble getting wifi to work in openelec, should drivers be already installed?
    i dont think they are loading into xbmc for some reason,
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

having trouble getting wifi to work in openelec, should drivers be already installed?
    cheers

Worked for me....after a troubleshoot. I was so used to Wireless devices pulling the SSID and only having to input the pass-phrase that I didn't pay enough attention manually entering the SSID in the Openelec Settings addon. Turns out its case sensitive. My SSID is all caps and I inputted the SSID with only the first letter capitalised. Once I realised my mistake and corrected it, its been working fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is it worth getting a SSD for this?

I do like the thoughts of 0 moving parts, but I dont like the price of SSDs :)

Storage space means nothing to me as I have a server that has all the content on it.

Ideally something like a 32GB SSD would suit me as I would like to dual boot into open elec with windows. But they are about £35 (price dropped a few pound since last night, good thing I didnt buy :) )

Does Open Elec run ok from USB? I could live with open elec only till a good price came up on a SSD.

Or I have never really noticed a 2.5" drive being that loud, how is everyone else getting on with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Dotts wrote: »
    Ya it works perfectly, the stream plays perfectly in both hd and sd as i navigate the main menu, it goes a bit pear shaped on the pi, but thats to be expected. I'm streaming through cat5 and a gigabit switch. I get a full epg, program info and everything, its a fantactic add on. Picture is as clear as if playing straight from the stb itself.

Nice! And that's on a windows install or openelec?

Have yet to find something at this pricepoint to suit my needs but this could be the answer.

Moving the lot up into the attic spaces shortly nas stb's and ps3

i think mine is broken :(
    booted up then changed bios to boot from usb key
    then about 20 secs later power went off on unit
    pressed power button and nothing happened
    removed all attached cables, still nothing
    checked power lead in a laptop, it works on that
    will email them in morning

its working now just left the power unplugged for a while
    trying to get wifi going
    will spend another while fiddling

I would keep an eye on it because that doesnt sound normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

cheers

Did you restart after you entered your SSID name and WEP/WPA key?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Quick question about openelec with this. I was going to install a 4GB DIMM and run openelec off a spare Class 10 16GB SD card. Does XBMC store the info (art/movie info etc) locally on the SD card? My files are on a NAS. I've got a good Wireless N network with good coverage and don't have any problems streaming HD to other devices. I'm just wondering, performance-wise though, would I be better getting a small 2.5in HDD?

Cheers folks

Allyall wrote: »
    Did you restart after you entered your SSID name and WEP/WPA key?

i did and still not working, i might try a different openelec

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Quick question about openelec with this. I was going to install a 4GB DIMM and run openelec off a spare Class 10 16GB SD card. Does XBMC store the info (art/movie info etc) locally on the SD card? My files are on a NAS. I've got a good Wireless N network with good coverage and don't have any problems streaming HD to other devices. I'm just wondering, performance-wise though, would I be better getting a small 2.5in HDD?

Cheers folks

You need SODIMM ram.

Don't know if it will boot from a SD card.

Files don't have to be stored locally.
    I have my files on a Network machine and am able to access them from openelec.

Performance wise a small ssd would be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

Set mine up last night, happy with it except for teething problems.
    On windows 7, no matter what driver I download for the audio my HDMI cable comes up as 'not plugged in' even though the feckin thing is sending the display to the TV. Works fine on openelec though.

Have openelec on a USB key, have Sabnzbd suite set up on that but nothing is sending from Sickbeard to Sabnzbd (frustatingly I'm not getting any errors so I don't know why). I also got a message on sabnzd saying there was no PAR2 so no repairs could be done, hmm.
    Have a feeling installing openelec on a partition on the hard drive might make these problems easier to fix.
    Regarding this, does anybody know if you can set the computer to boot from a particular partition? I want windows 7 but only rarely so I don't mind having to change the BIOS ieverytime I want it to boot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Lads best program for dvbt on windows 8??

Remouad wrote: »
    If anyone is looking at doing a dual boot with windows and openelec there is a good tutorial here
    RoflHarris wrote: »
    Regarding this, does anybody know if you can set the computer to boot from a particular partition? I want windows 7 but only rarely so I don't mind having to change the BIOS ieverytime I want it to boot

At the bottom of the page linked above there are instructions on how to set it up so that it will boot to openelec by default or let you choose to boot into windows by pressing SHIFT ALT on start up.

It's how I have mine set up

Dotts wrote: »

Are you using a sky card with this? can you control the stb/choose channels from the client?
    I'd like to have access to the sky channels on all the other TVs in my house and the Pi is a nice small STB.

Have yet to find something at this pricepoint to suit my needs but this could be the answer.

Would be very interested to find out how you get on with this as I'd love to do the same.
    How are you going to access the PS3 in the attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

At the bottom of the page linked above there are instructions on how to set it up so that it will boot to openelec by default or let you choose to boot into windows by pressing SHIFT ALT on start up.

It's how I have mine set up

Sweet, I actually have that page bookmarked from seeing it earlier in the thread but for some reason didn't think to...y'know...look at it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,902 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Is it worth getting a SSD for this?

I do like the thoughts of 0 moving parts, but I dont like the price of SSDs :)

Storage space means nothing to me as I have a server that has all the content on it.

Ideally something like a 32GB SSD would suit me as I would like to dual boot into open elec with windows. But they are about £35 (price dropped a few pound since last night, good thing I didnt buy :) )

Does Open Elec run ok from USB? I could live with open elec only till a good price came up on a SSD.

Or I have never really noticed a 2.5" drive being that loud, how is everyone else getting on with them?

I think you'll be mad to get a SSD. I find my windows 7 on the hard drive boots up pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 8 networkj

The main difference is that the TV tuner works. I wouldn't notice if the boot time is quicker or not.

Yes there is a small bit of setup. I used the TVheadend client. You need to connect to the TVheadend backend from a web browser (on another machine) - x.x.x.x:9981 where xxxx is the IP address of your OpenElec box.

From there you need to
    -enable the tuner (under Config > TV adaptor),
    -add DVB Network by location (choose the nearest site, I used Two Rock)
    -wait until the 'MapDVB channels to location' button goes green and then press it

There's probably a few other steps, I was just following my nose and figuring it out as I went along. I will do a proper guide tomorrow if people are still having trouble.

The tuner does not appear in the TV Adaptors drop-down. Did you have to do anything specific to get the tuner to work besides what you outlines above? I am on RC4 now, does the tuner still work in RC4 for you?

It looks like the driver may not be loading?
    root ~ # dmesg | grep -i dvb

• Advertisement

still cant get wifi working been at it hours, so trying out the saorview
    seems to buffer a bit while changing channels
    cant figure out the epg setup any suggestions ?

networkj wrote: »
    The tuner does not appear in the TV Adaptors drop-down. Did you have to do anything specific to get the tuner to work besides what you outlines above? I am on RC4 now, does the tuner still work in RC4 for you?

It looks like the driver may not be loading?
    root ~ # dmesg | grep -i dvb

I havent used the tuner on RC4. But yeah, on MC001 RC3 I didn't do anything fancy beyond the above, the card (realtek) was in the drop-down menu. Because it is sponsored hardware, all the necessary drivers should be included in the MC001 build.

I tried on a fresh install of RC3 and on XBMCLive.

Looks like I have a different tuner than you. Based on this thread I found it looks like the drivers aren't included yet. Thanks a lot for your help!
    root ~ # lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1b80:e345 Afatech

http://www.openelec.tv/forum/41-supported-hardware/62526-arctic-mc001-tv-tuner-support

networkj wrote: »
    I tried on a fresh install of RC3 and on XBMCLive.

Looks like I have a different tuner than you. Based on this thread I found it looks like the drivers aren't included yet. Thanks a lot for your help!
    root ~ # lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1b80:e345 Afatech

http://www.openelec.tv/forum/41-supported-hardware/62526-arctic-mc001-tv-tuner-support
    No, that's Realtek based on the linked thread. RTL=Realtek

I reckon it's the same one I have but i'll check later.

When you have a chance, can you check your lsusb? It might just be that we have a different VID/PID.

I had an issue a while back with an old MCE remote receiver. The driver wasn't loading because it did not expect the identifiers presented by the hardware. I had to edit the source of the kernel module and recompile. (I think eventually the module was patched to include the additional vendor ID).

I'll probably just wait for a patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 E90

Anyone know how to record tv? Using Openelec with tvheadend.
    Pressing rec on the remote when watching a channel has no effect

got wifi working by using a usb dongle. there must be a fault with the onboard one

seems quick enough going to load my media to library to see how it copes

Im running openelec off a 8GB sd card at the moment, might get a hdd or cheap ssd if it starts giving trouble but at the moment it's fine.

Are you using a sky card with this? can you control the stb/choose channels from the client?
    I'd like to have access to the sky channels on all the other TVs in my house and the Pi is a nice small STB.

Im only using the box for free to air but id imagine it'd be the same if i had a sky card in it!
    Not sure if you could get all the tv's to stream at the same time, might put too much stress on the stb, but i guess in theory if you have 2 sat tuners and 2 saorview tuners, which i have on the vuduo, you could watch say rte1 on the main box, stream rte2 to one xbmc client and then also stream two sat channels to 2 other clients. have never tried to stream to more than one client but i might test it later :) using the pi the arctic and my laptop while watching on the box itself, not sure how long the box will last unter that much stress but it would be intresting to see :)

http://tinypic.com/r/207srr9/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/2gwdvkx/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/25rci06/6
    http://tinypic.com/r/2ymvyx3/6

Update:

Have been testing streaming from stb to 3 different clients i.e, the arctic, pi and my laptop some interesting results,
    i was able to watch a saorview channel and simultaneously stream 2 more i taught that you would need 3 tuners for this, apparently not.(can anyone explain this?)
    also i watched a hd cahnnel on the box while also streaming another hd channel and 2 sd channels to the three xbmc clients, all were perfectly in sync, there is an initial buffering when each client is turned on as they pull the epg off the stb but after this they settle down. i did see buffering on my laptop but that was wireless where as the other 2 are hardwired. i do have a fairly good router (asus rt-n66u) and a gigabit switch on my network, i doubt a standard setup would handle all that traffic, but the stb seams to handle it fine.
    arctic and pi are streaming away while i watch the main box, had to exit xbmc on the laptop to post this as it wont run in the backround.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hi Folks, I've gotten over the the disappointment of receiving a faulty unit. I have the replacement up and running on Windows 7 with MediaPortal 1.3RC and I can safely say this is the best bit of HTPC equipment I've ever bought.

I got the DVD version, I added a 25 euro 32GB Kingspec SSD (bought on eBay), 20 Euro 4GB of ram, a 7 Euro RC6 MS media centre remote (bought on eBay). I now have a completely silent HTPC running everything I through at it and it works on only 60 watts!!!

It's setup as a client HTPC to a MediaPortal back-end running a TV server with 6 DVB-S2 tuners, 2 DVB-S tuners and 2 DVB-T tuners. The server also has 8TB of Media storage (running low on free space :D)

My biggest concern with this unit was could it handle 1080i material and so far from my testing the MC001 handles interlaced HD material with no issues at all!! SD material is no problem as you would expect.

I know there is a lot of love for Openelec here but Windows7 + MediaPortal 1.3RC is a nice alternate. I've attached some images of my setup with default MP skin.

Advertisement