Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

aminemed wrote: »
    Can you please tell me how you did that ? i'm willing to make a dual boot between Win8 & Openelec

This is all from memory so there may be a few mistakes or omissions.

First decide on your partition sizes.

I had a 120GB drive (works out at 111Gb formated) and I went with:
    Primary Partition 1: Windows 80Gb
    Primary Partition 2: Linux Mint 20Gb
    Extended Partition (counts as one of your primary partitions)
    ---> Logical Partition 1: Linux Mint Swap Space 4Gb
    ---> Logical Partition 2: Openelec Data 6Gb
    Primary Partition 3: OpenElec System 1Gb
    You just need to figure out the sizes upfront, as they are hard to move/resize later (though not impossible).
    I put the OpenElec system partition last as I was unlikely to want to move/resize it.
    Also, make the Extended Partition last so that you can let the Openelec Data partition take up all remaining space (no waste!).
    Obviously the sizes above are just what I used, use what ever suits your self, Only condensation's are
    • OpenElec System need no more than a Gb, even 256Mb would be fine
    • Windows probably needs at least of 15Gb (for paging etc)
    • Linux swap should be about the same size as the mount of RAM you have installed.

Windows
    Make a windows boot disk on a usb key (see here). If you have a DVD drive in your MC001 then there is no need.
    When you are installing windows make sure you use the custom install and create the ntfs partition manually (see here).
    Its very important that you create the partition manually, if you do not then windows will create a separate 100Mb system restore partition that will take up 1 of your 4 allowable primary partitions.

Linux
    Next make a linux boot usb for the linux flavour you want (I used Linux Mint Cinnamon).
    I used LinuxLive USB Creator to make the boot usb, and I just wiped and used the same usb key as I had used for windows (you can always create them again later on if you need them).

As you are installing linux make sure you pick a custom installation again (I think it is the "Other" - last one on the screen - option in linux mint).
    You need to pick the custom option so that you not add the rest of the partitions that you need for OpenElec.
    You should already have the windows partition, now add additional partitions similar to how I laid them out above. Use ext3 as the file-system for all of them except the swap (that will be of type "swap"), and set the partition you want Linux on with a mount point of / (the OpenElec partitions do not need mount points).
    Make sure you also mark the OpenElec partition as bootable.
    You should also name the OpenElec partitions (I named them "openelec" and "openelecdata"). Make its easier identify them later.

OpenElec
    Once linux is installed its time to get open OpenElec installed.
    In linux download OpenElec.
    Extract OpenElec into the root of the OpenElec system partition (you will find it somewhere under /media/).
    Next, in the OpenElec system partition, move the the SYSTEM and KERNEL files from the target directory into the directory just above it.
    Finally add OpenElec to the grub bootloader (see here).
    To find out what your OpenElec partitnons are numbered (ie hda5, hda6 etc) use the linux command "lsblk".

Now when you reboot you will get a menu with the different operating systems.
    To edit this menu boot to linux and install grub-customizer, its much easier than editing the files directly. With this you can add/delete/edit the options in the boot menu.

Finally, relax, get frothy beverage, and put on movie!
    Hope that helped

Thanks, how is windows running on the machine in comparison with openelec, is it fast or painful to make xbmc run there ?

Windows itself runs OK, windows media centre runs OK as well.
    But XBMC on Windows has a terrible lag as other have experienced.
    I tried Plex as well and its not great either.

But for just browsing the web, looking at docs, general windows stuff, its actually quite usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aminemed

For the initial setup, yes, you need something with a web browser.. I used a tablet.

You need a computer to create the install stick and you need something with a web broswer to post on this site, so I don't see the issue. If you don't have a computer or you don't like using them, then I would say this type of thing is not for you.

if it's only for initial setup it's okay, i though that another computer should keep running simulteanously..

what catalyst drivers are you using ? do not use the 13.1 but revert to 12.1, xbmc 12 will be much faster

what catalyst drivers are you using ? do not use the 13.1 but revert to 12.1, xbmc 12 will be much faster

I'll give it a try tonight, thanks.

• Advertisement

well it will definitely fix your issue..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I find flash player a bit stuttery in full screen when using a browser in Win7 (Chrome in my case). I would watch the odd thing on RTE Player so it isn't great for video. Are there any tips for improving flash performance for full screen as it seems ok in normal window?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Do-more wrote: »
    No reply yet about the barebones, but just got an ad on the bottom of this page for the €119.95 model with the DVD drive, which is now back in stock.
    Still no reply from Arctic regarding availability of the barebones @ €99.95 and I see that the DVD model @ €119.95 is showing only 6 left in stock.

invest4deepvalue.com

you should go ahead...for 20€..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishGaz

Cheers. Just ordered one and came in at around 135 due 5-22 march. DVD rw and tuner model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Not a bad price for this - 120GB SSD Sandisk (Manufacturer Refurbished) Full 12 Months Warranty.
    LINK

Postage within the U.K. + Parcel Motel works out roughly the same as posting it directly, (Roughly €57 altogether) - If you have a free credit left on Parcel Motel, it'd be a little cheaper. (€3.50)

sandisk-ultra-120gb-sata-25-int-ssd.jpg

I'm thinking of getting it. But not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotts

Thanks For the info, although my nearest transmitter is a secondary transmitter so its not on the list, i cant see any option for a full scan, do you know if its possible?

thanks in advance

The main difference is that the TV tuner works. I wouldn't notice if the boot time is quicker or not.

Yes there is a small bit of setup. I used the TVheadend client. You need to connect to the TVheadend backend from a web browser (on another machine) - x.x.x.x:9981 where xxxx is the IP address of your OpenElec box.

From there you need to
    -enable the tuner (under Config > TV adaptor),
    -add DVB Network by location (choose the nearest site, I used Two Rock)
    -wait until the 'MapDVB channels to location' button goes green and then press it

There's probably a few other steps, I was just following my nose and figuring it out as I went along. I will do a proper guide tomorrow if people are still having trouble.
    Thanks For the info, although my nearest transmitter is a secondary transmitter so its not on the list, i cant see any option for a full scan, do you know if its possible?

thanks in advance

Allyall wrote: »
    Not a bad price for this - 120GB SSD Sandisk (Manufacturer Refurbished) Full 12 Months Warranty.
    LINK

Postage within the U.K. + Parcel Motel works out roughly the same as posting it directly, (Roughly €57 altogether) - If you have a free credit left on Parcel Motel, it'd be a little cheaper. (€3.50)

sandisk-ultra-120gb-sata-25-int-ssd.jpg

I'm thinking of getting it. But not sure.

This is the one I got, no problems so far.
    Got it from eBay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Dabs.ie have a scandisk ssd for €57

It's due in stock in a few days, have spoke with them and they say it will be in by the 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Wizard

I got a 32gb kingspec ssd on eBay, delivered for 26euro, reviews seem decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

MaceFace wrote: »
    Got it up and running today.

Installed openelec on a 1GB USB stick. Runs fine if a bit slow at times but it is updating the library so hope it it full speed once that completes.

How did you install openelec? After boot mine says - no drive found , tried with 2 usb sticks :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Headshot wrote: »
    Delighted to report im finally happy with my MC001 and XBMC works perfectly now

The formatting of the hard drive worked a treat and getting the logitech k400 is superb on it. I also watered down the options in XBMC like hiding pictures, music etc options and just having videos

The only frustrating thing is Id love to turn off the MC001 by the arctic remote, anyone know how?

Yeah, it turns out our slowness issue under Win7 is to do with the latest ATI Catalyst drivers. Reversion to the previous version apparently solves that issue.

Just thought I would let you know that I figured out how to get it to boot into windows without a thumbstick and automatically boot into OPenelec with the USB stick plugged in.

In the Advanced Setup section of the bios I was setting first Boot device as Removable Dev(ice) as thats what I assumed the USB stick was. Second Boot device I selected the Hard Drive which was a Fujitsu in my case.

Not the case.

One actually goes to the Hard Drive option of the Advanced setup menu first. I had two options 1st Drive and 2nd Drive. Seems like the USB stick is treated like a Harddrive. Here I had the option of either Transcend Jetflash (My usb stick) or Fujitsu. So I set 1st device as Transcend Jetflash and 2nd Device as Fujitsu. Then back to main screen of Advanced setting and set 1st Boot Device as Transcend Jet Flash and 2nd and 3rd Boot device disabled.

This is the combo of options that has the machine boot into Windows from the HDD if there is no Openelec USB stick plugged in or boots straight into Openelec if the USB stick is inserted.

By the By. I did an automatic update to OPenelec RC3 and could still see only 3gb of Ram indicating 32bit and presumably generic build of ver. 2.99.3
    ie. an autoupdate of Opnelec will download and install the latest official release of the version you are running. In our case the generic.

We'll need to do a manual update to install the SPecific MC001 build which is 64bit and will let the OS see all the RAM, (Not that it needs 4gb though) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ofds

Hello!
    I got mine on Friday and I have a problem, the power adapter doesn't work :-(
    I have one laptop power supply but 19V 2.56A, how I can use this safely? 10W are less than the original...
    Thanks.

Calibos wrote: »
    By the By. I did an automatic update to OPenelec RC3 and could still see only 3gb of Ram indicating 32bit and presumably generic build of ver. 2.99.3
    ie. an autoupdate of Opnelec will download and install the latest official release of the version you are running. In our case the generic.

We'll need to do a manual update to install the SPecific MC001 build which is 64bit and will let the OS see all the RAM, (Not that it needs 4gb though)

All i386 builds are 32-bit, x86x64 builds are 64-bit.

When you're moving from one build of OpenElec to a totally different build I always recommend a clean install, not an update. Yes a manual update to a different build techically may work but a clean install is recommended and helps prevent issues. Especially going from a 32-bit build to a 64-bit one.

• Advertisement

ofds wrote: »
    Hello!
    I got mine on Friday and I have a problem, the power adapter doesn't work :-(
    I have one laptop power supply but 19V 2.56A, how I can use this safely? 10W are less than the original...
    Thanks.

One can use a power adapter that provides the same voltage and has the same size connector and polarity of pin but only if its amp rating is the same or higher than the original adapter. A device will only pull the current/ amps it requires so using a power adapter capable of providing more current than the device will pull is not a problem. Using a power adapter with a lower amp rating than the original will mean the device will pull more amps than the adapter is able to provide which will cause it to overheat and melt with possible serious consequences obviously.

All i386 builds are 32-bit, x86x64 builds are 64-bit.

When you're moving from one build of OpenElec to a totally different build I always recommend a clean install, not an update. Yes a manual update to a different build techically may work but a clean install is recommended and helps prevent issues. Especially going from a 32-bit build to a 64-bit one.

Good to know. I'll do that with one of my MC001's that I haven't put into general circulation in the house yet so to speak. ie clean install of RC3 to see how it goes. Won't risk the others till the 3.0 final comes out though

Calibos wrote: »
    Good to know. I'll do that with one of my MC001's that I haven't put into general circulation in the house yet so to speak. ie clean install of RC3 to see how it goes. Won't risk the others till the 3.0 final comes out though

I would put them all on MC001 RC3. It will automatically update to future RCs (if there are any) and possibly automatically update to the stable version, I can't remember. But its piss easy to manually go back and forth between releases, the important thing is to get the correct build installed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MJ434

I missed out on this ,anything for similar price anywhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

MJ434 wrote: »
    I missed out on this ,anything for similar price anywhere else?

+1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I haven't read through the whole thread.
    Has anyone bought one of these direct from the manufacturer?
    They are only €95 for the barebones

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/entertainment-center/447/mc001-n.html

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

Casey78 wrote: »
    I haven't read through the whole thread.
    Has anyone bought one of these direct from the manufacturer?
    They are only €95 for the barebones

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/entertainment-center/447/mc001-n.html

ye but you might get stung by customs since they ship from hong kong i read

Dotts wrote: »

thanks in advance

For anyone else with their nearest saorview mast not on the default list, ie on a secondary site, i eventually found out how to get it working on tvheadend add on...

1. enable add-on :)
    2. Log in from another computer on your network i.e x.x.x.x:9981 (where x.x.x.x is your arctics ip address
    3. Go to config tab
    4. go to tv adapter tab and choose the tuner from the drop down menu
    5. go to multiplexes tab and add multiplex manually.

Here is the part that was wrecking my head as i didn't know the values to enter for my site. I eventually found them here : http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/saorview-dtt-linux
    about a third the way down the page you'll find Irish DTT transmitter tuning files
    its a zip file with all sites in it. the files are un recognised by windows but i could open them with notepad.

here is an example of whats in them
    # IRE, Kinsale
    # Created by www.mpeg4ireland.com
    # T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
    T 546000000 8MHz AUTO AUTO AUTO AUTO AUTO NONE

just drop 3 zeros of the end and you sorted

hope this helps someone as it took me awhile to figure out.

Ps

Has anyone been able to access the bios and disable EUP, i rebooted it numerous time and cant seem to acess the bios by pressing f10 or del

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭philbee

Dotts wrote: »
    For anyone else with their nearest saorview mast not on the default list, ie on a secondary site, i eventually found out how to get it working on tvheadend add on...

1. enable add-on :)
    2. Log in from another computer on your network i.e x.x.x.x:9981 (where x.x.x.x is your arctics ip address
    3. Go to config tab
    4. go to tv adapter tab and choose the tuner from the drop down menu
    5. go to multiplexes tab and add multiplex manually.

Here is the part that was wrecking my head as i didn't know the values to enter for my site. I eventually found them here : http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/saorview-dtt-linux
    about a third the way down the page you'll find Irish DTT transmitter tuning files
    its a zip file with all sites in it. the files are un recognised by windows but i could open them with notepad.

here is an example of whats in them
    # IRE, Kinsale
    # Created by www.mpeg4ireland.com
    # T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
    T 546000000 8MHz AUTO AUTO AUTO AUTO AUTO NONE

just drop 3 zeros of the end and you sorted

hope this helps someone as it took me awhile to figure out.

Ps

Has anyone been able to access the bios and disable EUP, i rebooted it numerous time and cant seem to acess the bios by pressing f10 or del

I had the same issue until i plugged the keyboard into the back usb port, couldnt get it to work when it was plugged into the front

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Does anyone know how to get openelec to work with optical sound. I connected the optical cable to the decoder on my speaker system as normal and changed the audio setting in openelec to optical but no sound. Also having a problem with my tv when I power on openelec I have to have the hdmi disconnected otherwise I get no picture once it's booted up I connect the hdmi all is well. Once I turn the unit of and on again I have to do the same each time must be a resolution issue but even when I change it to the lowest it still happens any help.

Advertisement