Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

neacy69 wrote: »
    all my media is on an external drive.there wont be any hassle reading the media directly from the external hdd will there?
    Nope, should just be as normal.
    EDIT: (Probably a stupid question) do i need to have wired keyboard and mouse to complete the installation? I have a wireless one I can use or do i need one at all
    Handy to have one whatever you're installing.

I used a Wireless Keyboard with touchpad.

I have mostly just been messing around trying different things.
    I have had Mint, Zorin and I am now fiddling with Android x86 Hoping all goes problem free, i expect to have it on by tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Allyall wrote: »
    Nope, should just be as normal.

Handy to have one whatever you're installing.

I used a Wireless Keyboard with touchpad.

I have mostly just been messing around trying different things.
    I have had Mint, Zorin and I am now fiddling with Android x86 Hoping all goes problem free, i expect to have it on by tonight.

Have the ram installed
    Have a 250gb hdd installed
    Openelec key ready to go
    And I can't find a feckin keyboard...

Wonder could I do the install with the ir remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 networkj

@ I Kill You Scum!

Are you still running this horizontally? Did you do anything with the bare side after removing the stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

Have been following the trend and have decided that i am going to go with a stand alone xbmc unit. Have been messing ariound with it on the laptop and love it

Was the Arctic a success for people and was it easy to set up?

has anyone any post buy recomendations?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Both the barebones and the DVD drive model seem to be out of stock at the moment from Arctic.

They presently have the DVD drive model listed as "Used - Like New Slight signs of wear on the front or side." for €109.95 + shipping.

The barebones went out of stock last week as well but re-appeared after one day, it's anyone's guess if the same happens again this time.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Do-more wrote: »
    Both the barebones and the DVD drive model seem to be out of stock at the moment from Arctic.

They presently have the DVD drive model listed as "Used - Like New Slight signs of wear on the front or side." for €109.95 + shipping.

The barebones went out of stock last week as well but re-appeared after one day, it's anyone's guess if the same happens again this time.

was on to there website and saw this. Is this good value as i was looking at getting a 1 tb harddive too ?

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/free-shipping-item/638/mc001-xbmc-eu.html?c=2296

was on to there website and saw this. Is this good value as i was looking at getting a 1 tb harddive too ?

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/free-shipping-item/638/mc001-xbmc-eu.html?c=2296

Why is the EU version dearer than the us version?

networkj wrote: »
    @ I Kill You Scum!

Are you still running this horizontally? Did you do anything with the bare side after removing the stand?

Interested in running mine horizontally also did you notice any issues with cooling since it was on its side?

Update on my setup: Have the ram and the HDD (250gb) installed from the donor laptop (advent e300). I have the openelec install usb ready to go but since I have no keyboard I can't change the boot order to the usb. Still waiting on my wireless keyboard and mouse from deal extreme (5 weeks) so ill probably borrow one from work

On another note the windows 7 booted no issues since it was already installed on the hdd in the old laptop. if i was going to keep it i would probably need to do a fresh install as there is probably some hangover from it being used in the previous device. I might consider partitioning the drive and having openelec as the primary boot and then win 7 as a secondary boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    I, got a reply from Arctic about the faulty one I recieved, happy enough seems like a painless enough RMA process, providing postage cost is refunded quickly.

I assume anpost will be expensive enough to post this back to Germany. Is there any cheaper alternatives you guys may be aware of ?

@jobyrne30 - sent Arctic a mail yesterday about returning my faulty unit. just wondering how long it took them to get back to you?

jfk247 wrote: »
    @jobyrne30 - sent Arctic a mail yesterday about returning my faulty unit. just wondering how long it took them to get back to you?

I had to contact them as there was no nut and washer on my wifi antenna port, it took them a day or two to reply. And the nut and washer has to be sent from Hong Kong!

[Edit] Just checked my emails and it took them 2 days + 1 hour to reply to my initial enquiry.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Interested in running mine horizontally also did you notice any issues with cooling since it was on its side?
    In the end I moved some shelves around and got it fitting vertically in my TV unit.

I didn't have any issues while I was running it horizontally but its a risk you'd have to take yourself and I wouldn't do it unless you knew what you were doing, what your CPU loads were likely to be, how to monitor temps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Bah, had the barebones MC001-N in my cart on Amazon.de yeserday but it's gone again, up to 200 quid now.

If it does come back in, can I just check what I basically need to get up an running is:
    1 x 16GB USB3.0 USB Stick (Transcend JetFlash 700)
    1 x 4GB 204-pin DDR3 1066MHz RAM (Kingston)
    1 x Logitech Harmony 300i remote

Plus obviously whatever storage I need. That the lot? Then just download openelec onto the USB stick, boot from that, and that's it?

MOH wrote: »
    Bah, had the barebones MC001-N in my cart on Amazon.de yeserday but it's gone again, up to 200 quid now.

If it does come back in, can I just check what I basically need to get up an running is:
    1 x 16GB USB3.0 USB Stick (Transcend JetFlash 700)
    1 x 4GB 204-pin DDR3 1066MHz RAM (Kingston)
    1 x Logitech Harmony 300i remote

Plus obviously whatever storage I need. That the lot? Then just download openelec onto the USB stick, boot from that, and that's it?

To get it up and running you would need another USB stick also. But any old one you have lying around.

And a keyboard of some kind. Again, one you have lying around is fine, just to get it up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I have mine running XBMCbuntu, everything is working well but I have two external drives connected to the unit and XBMC is only showing one, any ideas what the problem could be guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

jfk247 wrote: »

I had a reply within 24 hours. I shipped out the faulty unit on the 7th Feb, on the 14th Feb I received notification the replacement had been sent and refund for postage cost issued.

In between the 7th and 14th of Feb I came to an arrangement to buy a second unit at a slight discount (5 euro :pac::pac::pac:) ....but i didn't have to pay any shipping costs on the 2nd unit as they shipped it along side the replacement unit.

Received both units yesterday and checked my bank to find the 40 euro postage cost has been refunded.

I'm happy with their service. I did communicate at all times in German and English, they replied in English.

Looking at this again, it's probably nearly as cheap to go for the full XBMC version - by the time you add the RAM, remote and USB stick to the barebones it's going to come to €55 or so, the extra 1TB drive probably covers the difference. Though it's only 2GB RAM - is that enough, or would I need to throw another 2 in?

Only question is, does Arctic ship from the EU or elsewhere, so are you likely to be hit for VAT on the €194. And if so, does anyone know if anywhere within the EU is reselling this version?

Though it's only 2GB RAM - is that enough, or would I need to throw another 2 in?

For OpenElec that is tonnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 networkj

Is anyone suspending to S3 rather than shutting down? Is there any way to disable the blinking LED on standby?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Delighted to report im finally happy with my MC001 and XBMC works perfectly now

The formatting of the hard drive worked a treat and getting the logitech k400 is superb on it. I also watered down the options in XBMC like hiding pictures, music etc options and just having videos

The only frustrating thing is Id love to turn off the MC001 by the arctic remote, anyone know how?

Only question is, does Arctic ship from the EU or elsewhere, so are you likely to be hit for VAT on the €194. And if so, does anyone know if anywhere within the EU is reselling this version?

It states on the graphic "*Ship by Arctic GmbH, 19% VAT and shipping included."

So you won't be hit for any tax.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Delighted to report im finally happy with my MC001 and XBMC works perfectly now

The formatting of the hard drive worked a treat and getting the logitech k400 is superb on it. I also watered down the options in XBMC like hiding pictures, music etc options and just having videos

The only frustrating thing is Id love to turn off the MC001 by the arctic remote, anyone know how?

Steps i got from Calibos (Cheers Calibos)

So with a wired Keyboard, press and hold the Delete Key during the Arctic Splash screen.
    You'll enter the Bios.
    Go down to peripheral devices and press enter
    Go down to EUP and change it from enabled to disabled.
    Select Save and Exit.
    Your power toggle on the remote should now turn on the MC001 from cold and Shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    I had a reply within 24 hours. I shipped out the faulty unit on the 7th Feb, on the 14th Feb I received notification the replacement had been sent and refund for postage cost issued.

Had an email waiting for me this morning when I landed in work from Jens.

Cheers jobyrne30.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

A quick question - ram has arrived so have all the kit I need now. Just opened the box for the first time and faced with two brackets.

The one on the left is for the HDD.

What's the one on the right for? A dvd/blu ray drive?

2wdbzah.jpg

It states on the graphic "*Ship by Arctic GmbH, 19% VAT and shipping included."

So you won't be hit for any tax.

Good point, thanks. Thought the T+Cs had said something about shipping from HK but that might have been the barebones.

Feck it, I'll go for it. Just need to pick up a wireless keyboard, and I'm sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Wizard

Hi guys, a stupid question, I have mine setup with openelec,
    my 3tb external drive arrived today, is there anything I need to do for openelec to see it ?
    The drive is pre formatted for windows

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

I'm a complete noob so just wondering what kit I'll need in order to install the RAM and internal HDD.
    Do I have to worry about messing up the RAM if I don't wear special gloves and earthing myself etc.?!
    I've googled this stuff but I presume not all computers are the same so any handy tips for the Arctic would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

RoflHarris wrote: »
    I'm a complete noob so just wondering what kit I'll need in order to install the RAM and internal HDD.

It basically takes laptop ram and a laptop size HDD.

Suitable RAM is linked in the first post.

Memory type: SODIMM DDR3 800/1066/1333

Egs.

http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/4GB_G_Skill_DDR3_PC3_10666_CL9_SQ_Series_single_laptop_memory_module/index.html

or

http://www.amazon.de/Kingston-ValueRAM-PC3-10600-Arbeitsspeicher-204-polig/dp/B002XN3OL4/

Suitable HDD would be any 2.5" SATA HDD or Solid State Drive (SSD).

SSDs are much more expensive but faster.

Do I have to worry about messing up the RAM if I don't wear special gloves and earthing myself etc.?!
    I've googled this stuff but I presume not all computers are the same so any handy tips for the Arctic would be appreciated :)

Standard precautions.

Once you know the precautions to avoid static discharge you should be fine.

You don't need any special tools apart from a small screwdriver. The ram goes into the slot (only fits one way) and then push it down until it's held by the springclips.

The HDD is screwed into a bracket and then the bracket screws onto the chassis. Again, it only fits one way. Group the screws together by size and you'll know which ones are for what.

The final thing to do is take the plastic film off the thermal pads. I wouldn't do that until you are finished and you know everything is working fine. Short term it won't do any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Steps i got from Calibos (Cheers Calibos)

So with a wired Keyboard, press and hold the Delete Key during the Arctic Splash screen.
    You'll enter the Bios.
    Go down to peripheral devices and press enter
    Go down to EUP and change it from enabled to disabled.
    Select Save and Exit.
    Your power toggle on the remote should now turn on the MC001 from cold and Shut it down.

ya tried all that alright

Technicallly there's not turn off button on the arctic remote, just a standby but it turns it on but for some reason wont turn it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

Thanks for the info guys.

I ordered the Kingston value RAM with the machine and I'm going to order a 1TB 2.5 inch HDD.
    It all sounds nice and easy, just gotta make sure I nick the right screwdriver from my parents place before the box arrives.
    I couldn't handle the anticipation of having the box right there and not being able to use it!

Advertisement