Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

Having my doubts about that HD 5430. Benchmarks look low enough from what I am reading its lower that Intel's integrated HD3000

Correct me if I am wrong.

Might try openelec on my laptop and see how it fairs out, might be a good judging point

For a HTPC the GPU is important for video acceleration and audio output. Ranking something as above/below something else based on benchmarks is pretty much irrelevant - it either does the things you want or it doesnt.

Under Linux HD5430 will do some things but not others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

For a HTPC the GPU is important for video acceleration and audio output.
    Obviously

Kindly explain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Hopefully there will be progress on the Linux drivers front from AMD this year what with Valves Steam launching on Linux now too. A developer over on the Openelec forum said he expects progress this year and they have a good relationship with the linux driver guys over at AMD.

ie. Hopefully AMD/ATI GPU's might finally achieve the same feature set as nVidia with VDPAU on Linux sometime this year. Full acceleration of all codecs and HD audio.

That said, seeing as I only play H264 stuff and don't care about HD audio nor have the gear to play it :D, AMD GPU's with Openelec already do all that I need with DXVA.

I tested the HD5430 the other night with the 1080p 40 mbit Killa sampla Birds 5.1 High profile H264 video. Not a single dropped frame. I think of it like this. If my 10,000 dollar a week Basketball player can reliably score a basket from the other end of the court, is there any point buying a 50,000 dollar a week player to replace him that can reliably score a basket from the back of the stands.

For a HTPC the GPU is important for video acceleration and audio output. Ranking something as above/below something else based on benchmarks is pretty much irrelevant - it either does the things you want or it doesnt.

Do you mean a descrete chip will work better than the intergrated?

One is better than the other?

I would like this to be the answer to a full openelec system but want to make sure that this is going to be up to scratch HD Video/Audio at max

Obviously
    Kindly explain

Under Linux H.264 acceleraton works fine, up to 1080p and L5.1 (ie above Bluray spec).

VC-1 is fine up to Bluray spec.

MPEG-2 acceleration doesnt work at all. It will be done on the CPU which in this case is a weak Atom. SD MPEG-2 (ie DVD) is no issue, higher resolution and bitrate MPEG-2 may be problematic.

The only deinterlace available is bob.

HD audio bitstreaming is not supported. It will not bitstream DTS-HD or TrueHD. I don't think it'll even output multi-channel PCM. Regular AC3 and DTS are fine.

These limitations go for any ATI GPU in Linux. It doesnt matter if it's a 5430 or HD7990. Its a Linux driver issue (which may be fixed in future) rather than a performance one.

FWIW Intel has lots of these limitations also in Linux. Nvidia is best.

Most people in this thread won't ever encounter these limitations let alone understand them. But it is something to be aware of.

• Advertisement

Under Linux H.264 acceleraton works fine, up to 1080p and L5.1 (ie above Bluray spec).

VC-1 is fine up to Bluray spec.

MPEG-2 acceleration doesnt work at all. It will be done on the CPU which in this case is a weak Atom. SD MPEG-2 (ie DVD) is no issue, higher resolution and bitrate MPEG-2 may be problematic.

The only deinterlace available is bob.

HD audio bitstreaming is not supported. It will not bitstream DTS-HD or TrueHD. I don't think it'll even output multi-channel PCM. Regular AC3 and DTS are fine.

These limitations go for any ATI GPU in Linux. It doesnt matter if it's a 5430 or HD7990. Its a Linux driver issue (which may be fixed in future) rather than a performance one.

FWIW Intel has lots of these limitations also in Linux. Nvidia is best.

Most people in this thread won't ever encounter these limitations let alone understand them. But it is something to be aware of.

Thanks I understand them and this is what I was watching out for. I did test xbmc under ubuntu and did find limitations which you have mentioned.

Best for me to take a pass and maye look for a Nvidia box instead

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I had a busy Sunday. I formatted the whole computer and reinstalled windows and delighted to report its way better. My only problem at the minute is borders on tv screen. I've the gpu driver installed from the arctic site but no difference. I'm not sure what is up, any help please?

Edit

Found the solution I think

Go into your driver software and set the over scan to 0%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

For those who have openelec installed and content on an internal HDD/SSD.

How do you back your media up?

quad_red wrote: »
    For those who have openelec installed and content on an internal HDD/SSD.

How do you back your media up?
    You can copy files around using the XBMC File Manager.

Its a little bit awkward compared to drag and drop but you set up the source on one window and the destination on the other and then press C/context to bring up the context menu which has options to copy.

Alternatively if your network is fast enough you can backup things over the network. Everything in the Openelec Videos folder etc should be visible from a Windows machine with networking enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Headshot wrote: »
    I had a busy Sunday. I formatted the whole computer and reinstalled windows and delighted to report its way better. My only problem at the minute is borders on tv screen. I've the gpu driver installed from the arctic site but no difference. I'm not sure what is up, any help please?

Edit

Found the solution I think

Go into your driver software and set the over scan to 0%

probably a stupid question but which is the gpu driver on the website. don't see one there or else I'm blind.

• Advertisement

its called vga driver on their site afaik

I noticed it Catalyst and thought that had to be the gpu driver and I remember the Germans usually refer to the gpu drivers as vga over there iirc

its called vga driver on their site afaik

I noticed it Catalyst and thought that had to be the gpu driver and I remember the Germans usually refer to the gpu drivers as vga over there iirc

ah i see. should have guessed it was that one. cheers.

so iv tried XBMC and media portal and they are just to slow for me. Granted Media portal was alot quicker for me than XBMC but I hate loading up of the software.

I dont watch tv, I just want to access all my video files from on simple program, Can anyone please suggest a quick media center program please (maybe it doesnt have to be a media center program?)

For example on my tv theirs a media server and I really like the simple but easy way that goes thru the videos that on a hard drive but where this fails is that its far to simple in terms of you cant switch to a new source without stopping what your watching, rewind and fast forward are poor enough etc etc

please any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

You've tried xbmc as a program within windows 7 on the mc001 headshot??

In my case it worked fine as program within win 7 on my 8 year old dell. It should have worked just as well on the mc001 as its actually a bit more powerful than the old desktop dell. However it was dog slow with weird laggy mouse movement etc when I did my mc001 win 7 test. I'm not sure if there is just some setting we are missing and that this could be resolved.

That said, openelec xbmc on the mc001 is a totally different experience. If you definitely still need to have win 7 on the mc001 for whatever reason, how about this. You set boot order in the bios to USB removable drive first and internal HDD where you have win 7 installed second. When you want to use openelec xbmc you insert openelec USB stick and reboot. It will boot straight into openelec with zero effect on your windows install. To use windows one just removes USB stick and robot machine. It checks USB first, finds no bootable media and boots from second boot device which is you HDD.

ie. when you want to use machine for xbmc and not windows you just have to insert openelec USB stick and boot from it.

Aggggggggghh.

It's here - but my ram hasn't arrived yet.

Agggggggggghh.

<first world problem> :P

A quick question - is ram backward compatible?

I have two 1GB sticks of laptop ram here.

1GB 2Rx16 PC2-5300S-555

No way they would work?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

so iv tried XBMC and media portal and they are just to slow for me. Granted Media portal was alot quicker for me than XBMC but I hate loading up of the software.

I dont watch tv, I just want to access all my video files from on simple program, Can anyone please suggest a quick media center program please (maybe it doesnt have to be a media center program?)

For example on my tv theirs a media server and I really like the simple but easy way that goes thru the videos that on a hard drive but where this fails is that its far to simple in terms of you cant switch to a new source without stopping what your watching, rewind and fast forward are poor enough etc etc

please any advice?

I use tvrename but that is for tv series only afaik.
    Simple to set up and it keeps track on when next episodes are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Aggggggggghh.

It's here - but my ram hasn't arrived yet.

Agggggggggghh.

<first world problem> :P

When did you place your order?

neacy69 wrote: »
    When did you place your order?

Monday last week (11 February).

Monday last week (11 February).

hmm i placed my order on the 7th and got this info:

Estimated ship date: 8th February 2013 - 11 February 2013
    delivery date: 16th February 2013 - 7th March 2013 1 delivery by DHL

I wonder how you got yours before me....

• Advertisement

hmm i placed my order on the 7th and got this info:

Estimated ship date: 8th February 2013 - 11 February 2013
    delivery date: 16th February 2013 - 7th March 2013 1 delivery by DHL

I wonder how you got yours before me....

No idea.

I got an estimated delivery date from 21st February to 12th March.

I only ordered ram from memoryc yesterday cos I didn't expect it til next week at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭RoflHarris

I'm looking at using this for xbmc as well as handling all my usenet and torrent downloading. I downloaded xbmc on a Windows Vista laptop to hopefully set everything up on that now and then just mirror my set up on the Arctic when it arrives.

However, I found setting up sabnzd within xbmc plus add ons for finding TV shows a painful process that didn't end up working for me. So I think I'm going to go down the windows root. If I'm lucky windows 7 will work but has anybody thought of putting XP on it? It requires much less processing power and I assume it would fulfill all needs, e.g. xbmc plus a browser integrated with usenet and a torrent client.

Or for a more lightweight option, Ubuntu could be great!
    I'm so confused...

p.s. I've tried not to give too many specifics re torrents and usenet but if this kind of talk isn't allowed just let me know :)

Calibos wrote: »
    You've tried xbmc as a program within windows 7 on the mc001 headshot??

In my case it worked fine as program within win 7 on my 8 year old dell. It should have worked just as well on the mc001 as its actually a bit more powerful than the old desktop dell. However it was dog slow with weird laggy mouse movement etc when I did my mc001 win 7 test. I'm not sure if there is just some setting we are missing and that this could be resolved.

That said, openelec xbmc on the mc001 is a totally different experience. If you definitely still need to have win 7 on the mc001 for whatever reason, how about this. You set boot order in the bios to USB removable drive first and internal HDD where you have win 7 installed second. When you want to use openelec xbmc you insert openelec USB stick and reboot. It will boot straight into openelec with zero effect on your windows install. To use windows one just removes USB stick and robot machine. It checks USB first, finds no bootable media and boots from second boot device which is you HDD.

ie. when you want to use machine for xbmc and not windows you just have to insert openelec USB stick and boot from it.
    ya the part in bold is the exact trouble im having alright. Thats a great suggestion about openelec, thanks
    inforfun wrote: »
    I use tvrename but that is for tv series only afaik.
    Simple to set up and it keeps track on when next episodes are available.
    ill have to check that out thanks

ya the part in bold is the exact trouble im having alright. Thats a great suggestion about openelec, thanks

ill have to check that out thanks

I tried this last night but for some reason I could get it to boot from the usb with openelec. It was working previously but then i installed a SSD running Windows 8. Changed the boot priority in the Bios and put in the usb with the Openelec installed on but still boots Windows 8 everytime. Maybe the Windows 8 installation did something to my openelec usb.

ok got mine today so panic over!! :D

going to get the RAM out of my donor laptop and get it booting openelec off a usb key....(might get the dvd drive out of it but i havent watched dvds in a long time)

I also have a spare 120gb hdd should i stick this in aswell? (It has xp installed on it- will it have any problems cos xp is already installed?)

ok got mine today so panic over!! :D

going to get the RAM out of my donor laptop and get it booting openelec off a usb key....(might get the dvd drive out of it but i havent watched dvds in a long time)

I also have a spare 120gb hdd should i stick this in aswell? (It has xp installed on it- will it have any problems cos xp is already installed?)

If you have an unused 2.5" HDD (sata) then I would use that as the boot drive. The installer will/should wipe and format it automatically.

If you have an unused 2.5" HDD (sata) then I would use that as the boot drive. The installer will/should wipe and format it automatically.

Ok i will do that. Thanks

Do you recommend the 2.99.2 build?
    (OpenELEC Testing - Generic i386 Version:2.99.2 (3.0 RC 2))

Ok i will do that. Thanks

Do you recommend the 2.99.2 build?
    (OpenELEC Testing - Generic i386 Version:2.99.2 (3.0 RC 2))
    Yes, that works well and has most things working out of the box.

Although I expect a dedicated MC001 build very soon. So don't waste a lot of time getting everything set up to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Mine arrived today. Wasn't expecting it until march so haven't ordered the RAM yet.

Will an ssd give much of a speed improvement when running openelec?

All my media is on another machine so don't need much space.

• Advertisement

all my media is on an external drive.there wont be any hassle reading the media directly from the external hdd will there?

EDIT: (Probably a stupid question) do i need to have wired keyboard and mouse to complete the installation? I have a wireless one I can use or do i need one at all

Advertisement