Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 networkj

Can someone check if the optical drive cover stays on without an optical drive inside (on the barebones). It was something else that seemed fiddly on the one I looked at.

I just received the MC001-N unit and there is no optical drive cover.. is it supposed to come with a blank?

I haven't actually opened the casing yet, but it doesn't look like there is a blank to cover the slot.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

networkj wrote: »
    I just received the MC001-N unit and there is no optical drive cover.. is it supposed to come with a blank?

I haven't actually opened the casing yet, but it doesn't look like there is a blank to cover the slot.

Thanks

There is, it's in the box in the box, with all the bits and pieces.

It's fine on mine. Although it won't be there long, i'll be whipping it off when my Blu-Ray arrives.

Allyall wrote: »

Clearly I was way too excited... I swear I triple checked before posting. Sure enough it is there :D

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,849 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im going to give my arctic another week to see can I get the best out of it

If anyone wants first dibs if I do decide to sell. pm me

I got this version
    http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/living/entertainment-center/407/mc001-bd.html?c=2296

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

It's fine on mine. Although it won't be there long, i'll be whipping it off when my Blu-Ray arrives.

By that I take it you mean you'll be removing the cover the Blu-Ray comes with and fitting the MC001 cover. In my case for my Win 7 test where I borrowed a DVD-RW from my brothers laptop, I popped the Sony Vaio Drive drawer cover off and attached the MC001 one in its place. They all have standardised clips so its a straight swap over.

How did those without optical drives fit the drawer cover. I just glued mine onto the casing.

• Advertisement

BTW, I just placed an order with Amazon.de for another 2 @ €99 :D. As I've said plenty of times previously, I am loving these as Openelec/XBMC clients and am happy enough with the performance as a Win7 light duty machine. Just copped that I appraised its performance earlier while Windows was still updating in the background. Its snappier than I initially thought. Now please understand that at the moment I don't need a beast of a PC and the PC I end up using most in the house was an 8 year old Dell, so while this feels snappy as a Win 7 machine to me relative to the old Dell I am used to, to someone who bought a half decent Desktop/Laptop in the last 4 years, this probably feels dog slow by comparison. However in my case I can't miss what I never really had so for me this still feels like a small upgrade in some areas and a large upgrade in others...and its tiny and its silent and it doesn't turn my room into an oven and it doesnt eat electricity etc etc :D

I jumped again on another two just now because these things are changing price by the day now. DVD 'E' version is back up to €199 again from 115 yesterday for instance. I wanted to lock in the €99 price now even though my fith and sixth MC001 wont arrive for 3 weeks at least. Number 5 is for me as my Win 7 machine and number six is for Openelec/XBMC use for yet another brother who will be picking himself up a 40" 1080p LED/LCD to use with it.

I also ordered a 23" IPS LG 1920x1080 monitor to use with mine. A bargain at €139 IIRC

My sig explains better than words how and why I seem to be on a bit of a spending spree at the moment. It's time to reward myself :D

( for those with sigs turned off or an ad blocker turned on, I'm off the fags 6 months today and have saved an absolute fortune. )

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Is it true that Netflix is not available when using Openlec?

tadgh wrote: »
    Is it true that Netflix is not available when using Openlec?

Netflix uses Microsofts Silverlight framework so its only windows XBMC that can integrate Netflix in any way. No Netflix on any Linux based XBMC be that Openelec or UbuntuXBMC or XBMClive etc. not sure about the OSX/IOS distro's.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Wizard

Hi guys, am waiting on my one to arrive but just wanted to ask a question,
    I'm gonna buy a 16gb ssd drive and stick openelec on it, do I need a sata cable to install the ssd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

thanks op just ordered one, not sure what to do about remote, something universal that can control this and tv, any ideas ? i looked on amazon.de and seen the harmony 300 for ~25 euro, but read its slow, or would i be better getting the cheap ebay remote and just use that for the htpc?
    thanks

• Advertisement

thanks op just ordered one, not sure what to do about remote, something universal that can control this and tv, any ideas ? i looked on amazon.de and seen the harmony 300 for ~25 euro, but read its slow, or would i be better getting the cheap ebay remote and just use that for the htpc?
    thanks
    Have you got a smart-phone or tablet? There are remote apps for iOS and Android.

Have you got a smart-phone or tablet? There are remote apps for iOS and Android.

cheers that would work :)

Wizard wrote: »
    I'm gonna buy a 16gb ssd drive and stick openelec on it, do I need a sata cable to install the ssd ?

you will need a sata cable to install. if the ssd doesnt come with one you can pick one up for 1 or 2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Is the power transformer built in to this device, or do you need an external power block/brick?

Also, I thought I saw up above in the thread that these were shipped from Hong Kong and may be subject to duty or VAT on delivery. Can anyone confirm if this was the case for their one?

z

Wizard wrote: »
    No. There is a 2.5" sata bay in the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

zagmund wrote: »
    Also, I thought I saw up above in the thread that these were shipped from Hong Kong and may be subject to duty or VAT on delivery. Can anyone confirm if this was the case for their one?

z

The ones from amazon.de come from Germany. The ones bought from the arctic website come from HK and be liable to customs charges.

Calibos wrote: »
    By that I take it you mean you'll be removing the cover the Blu-Ray comes with and fitting the MC001 cover. In my case for my Win 7 test where I borrowed a DVD-RW from my brothers laptop, I popped the Sony Vaio Drive drawer cover off and attached the MC001 one in its place. They all have standardised clips so its a straight swap over.

How did those without optical drives fit the drawer cover. I just glued mine onto the casing.

I had an old DVD laptop drive that i put in it, with the Arctic cover over it.
    It clipped on perfectly, no looseness, no problem for me. When the Blu-Ray arrives i'll be swapping the cover over. I got the one linked a few pages back from ebay for €28. If any VAT it'll probably be €2 or close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I have no DVD drive in mine and I have just left the drive faceplate off on the basis that it should encourage better airflow and cooling.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    I have no DVD drive in mine and I have just left the drive faceplate off on the basis that it should encourage better airflow and cooling.

Good idea. I probably would have done that, only i convinced myself i needed a Blu-Ray drive..
    I don't.

I just threw in the DVD drive to check everything was working.

Another thing i was thinking of getting, but most likely won't, is something like THIS

For any of you who are using this horizontally, what are you doing with the exposed casing after removing the stand? It looks a bit unfinished with nothing there.

I put the black plastic piece that attached to the metal stand back on it, but it still doesn't look so great. I'm just curious if anyone came up with any cover for it.

• Advertisement

Good idea. I probably would have done that, only i convinced myself i needed a Blu-Ray drive..
    I don't.

I just threw in the DVD drive to check everything was working.

Another thing i was thinking of getting, but most likely won't, is something like THIS

Oh, thats interesting! Nice find. Would have to be mini sata version though. The PATA/IDE version wouldn't be usable in the Mc001. Thats why I couldn't use the DVD-RW from my dead laptop unlike the HDD from it. HDD was Sata and fine for the MC001. However the DVD-RW was PATA so I had to borrow a sata drive from my brothers working laptop.

After playing around with Win 7 on one of mine for a few days, I've changed my mind. Its definately snappier in all areas than my old Dell monster. However after setting 75ºc audio alarm in the bios, the alarm went off last night while just watching youtube. Now, it might never get hotter than that and 100ºC is the thermal limit for the chipset but I just have this thing about not liking things running that close to their thermal limit.

New plan is to use all 6 MC001 I have or have on order as Openelec/XBMC clients and instead of using 1 as my bedroom internet/light duty PC like I intended, I am going to order an Arctic MC101 with the new Trinity chipset as my bedroom light duty PC. Love the form factor and looks like the MC001 but its much more powerful with a Quad Core 3.2ghz capable CPU and 7000 series GPU. For most uses it still runs passive with the beautiful Full Aluminium casing as giant heatsink, however there is a quiet fan inside that will kick in if the temp gets to high or you are gaming.

I had already seen vids of the MC101 but this was when I was only thinking about XBMC usage. For that it was over powered and very expensive so it was quickly ruled out. However, since the MC001 put the idea of small silent lovely form factor bedroom light duty PC replacement into my head, the cost of the MC101 for that use actually doesn't seem too bad at all for such a powerful beautiful little thing.

It also sparked a brainwave for where I put the PC and the arrangement of my room that opens up the space considerably. So I've a great project now planned for it.

Calibos wrote: »
    Oh, thats interesting! Nice find. Would have to be mini sata version though. The PATA/IDE version wouldn't be usable in the Mc001.

Yeah, i just linked after quick search on Amazon. I would get the SATA. Not sure if i will or not, but could be a handy thing to have anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Anyone look at the possibility of fitting a very light fan to aid cooling?

m8 wrote: »
    Anyone look at the possibility of fitting a very light fan to aid cooling?

I don't know if this was spurred by my last post but just to note....

The slight concern I had

(and only because I am an@l about not letting a cpu get within 20ºc of its thermal limit (whereupon its own protection circuitry kicks in independent of any motherboard/bios auto shutdown protection))

was only during windows 7 use which puts a much heavier load on the chipset than openelec running XBMC.

I have no such concern for that use. It doesn't break a sweat even playing high bitrate 1080p content. I've checked temps within seconds of stopping such a file and at its highest in a hot room (radiator on full blast) the GPU only got to 60ºc and CPU to about 55ºc.

So IMHO absolutely no need for a fan if using one of these as an XBMC clent with Openelec.

Probably no need for a fan for Win 7 use either and I'm just being fussy about not letting temps get into the high 70's

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

help or advice needed.....
    had my device up and running with openelec running off a usb key which was perfect but decided I'd try out Ubuntu xbmc over the weekend. Was going good on Friday night, had Ubuntu booting off a separate usb key and tried to install it off that... issues around not having enough space to create some partitions, then the box started 'wigging' out. kept on rebooting itself when I'd get into the bios it would reboot and reboot straight away... finally got p!ssed off and went back to the openelec usb got that up and headed off to bed.

Saturday... It won't power on. When I plug it in in totally the Arctic logo appears and the green led is on inside. When I press the power button nothing happens. I've taken out everything, reseated the ram, and tried it without the ram and it beeped as I would expect.

Sunday....exactly the same nothing happens when the power button is pressed. not even a beep or the led behind the button come on. (this does come on when you remove the power lead and plug it back in)
    would anyone's else have any ideas? I don't feel like sending it back to wait another 2weeks for a replacement if it can be fixed up at home.

jfk247 wrote: »
    The first thing to try is remove all storage devices and clear the CMOS.

Im sure it doesnt need to be said but in case any beginners are buying the MC001 and reading this, you need to ground yourself before and during working inside any computer and do the minimum of touching metallic components. RAM should be handled by the edges only. You can quite easily ruin a mobo or ram module with static discharge.

The first thing to try is remove all storage devices and clear the CMOS.

Im sure it doesnt need to be said but in case any beginners are buying the MC001 and reading this, you need to ground yourself before and during working inside any computer and do the minimum of touching metallic components. RAM should be handled by the edges only. You can quite easily ruin a mobo or ram module with static discharge.

cheers for that pointer i kill you scum.

just tried and no joy still doing the same thing.... nothing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

jfk247 wrote: »
    had my device up and running with openelec running off a usb key which was perfect but decided I'd try out Ubuntu xbmc over the weekend. Was going good on Friday night, had Ubuntu booting off a separate usb key and tried to install it off that... issues around not having enough space to create some partitions, then the box started 'wigging' out. kept on rebooting itself when I'd get into the bios it would reboot and reboot straight away... finally got p!ssed off and went back to the openelec usb got that up and headed off to bed.

Saturday... It won't power on. When I plug it in in totally the Arctic logo appears and the green led is on inside. When I press the power button nothing happens. I've taken out everything, reseated the ram, and tried it without the ram and it beeped as I would expect.

Sunday....exactly the same nothing happens when the power button is pressed. not even a beep or the led behind the button come on. (this does come on when you remove the power lead and plug it back in)
    would anyone's else have any ideas? I don't feel like sending it back to wait another 2weeks for a replacement if it can be fixed up at home.

Green light on this device then? No lag at all on 1080p? what about going back through the gui when the movie is still playing?

hi stephendevlin,
    cant get onto the unit at all so no chance of going back through the GUI. the unit wont even power on to the BIOS. pressing the power button does nothing at all!

As I kill you scum! noted above, it may have shorted somewhere but i'm always very careful when working on an open mobo not to touch it and short it out.

Looks like I'll have to send it back and see what they say!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Having my doubts about that HD 5430. Benchmarks look low enough from what I am reading its lower that Intel's integrated HD3000

Correct me if I am wrong.

Might try openelec on my laptop and see how it fairs out, might be a good judging point

Advertisement