Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Wheeker wrote: »
    At €230.81 (€204.70 + €26.11 shipping), this would seem to be better value than buying the barebones + DVD model & adding memory, HDD & W7 OEM. .

I bought the barebones one but i'm beginning to suspect that's correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Well DVD one would work out at about €135
    so there's about €95 in the difference.

4 Gbs ram(~€20)

500Gb Drive(~€55)

So you've €20 left over for Win7. If you're going down that road it looks like a good option as long as 500gb is enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 somepihelp

Having some problems installing openelc here guys
    Dl'ed 2.99.2 from the site for theAtom processor
    Put it on a usb stick and navigated thru the necessary instaler steps

Now openelec logo sits on my tv saying it cant open a /stogare/.xbmc file or directory and then /usr/bin/autoupdate has an error - integer expression expected

Any help?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

somepihelp wrote: »

Now openelec logo sits on my tv saying it cant open a /stogare/.xbmc file or directory and then /usr/bin/autoupdate has an error - integer expression expected

Any help?
    Thanks!

Yes thats the problem you were looking the the CPU and forgot about the GPU.

Download the generic version not the Atom version.

Any help?
    Thanks!

There is no 'Atom' build. You are probably talking about the Ion build, in which case you've installed the wrong one. The Ion build is only for systems with a Nvidia Ion GPU. The MC001 has an ATI GPU, totally different.

Its the Generic build that you want (for now).

• Advertisement

This one?
    OpenELEC Testing - Generic i386 Version:2.99.2 (3.0 RC 2)

This one?
    OpenELEC Testing - Generic i386 Version:2.99.2 (3.0 RC 2)

Yes that will work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

quad_red wrote: »
    I bought the barebones one but i'm beginning to suspect that's correct!

The barebones was the great deal for those of us running them as openelec xbmc clients pulling content off our network storage because we only needed ram and a USB stick. No one to my knowledge said they were a better deal than the other offers if you actually needed a DVD,HDD and W7

Fòr those only joining the thread now. If you want one of these for the reason I described for myself above, it's the MC001-E that you want on amazon now. The units those of us bought early in the thread for €99 the MC001-N, has now gone up to €199. Now ironically it's the unit with an added piece of hardware, the MC001-E with (DVD-rw) that is selling the cheapest at €115.

Someone already pointed this out earlier but it's a point worth repeating.

[EDIT].....and....... it's back down to €99 (as of 14th Feb)

Barebones MC001-N unit @ €99 is the one to buy once again if you will be using it for openelec xbmc with content on network storage.

Up and running now, but have to figure out how to work the wlan first. Does it not scan the available networks??

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    The barebones was the great deal for those of us running them as openelec xbmc clients pulling content off our network storage because we only needed ram and a USB stick. No one to my knowledge said they were a better deal than the other offers if you actually needed a DVD,HDD and W7

You are TOTALLY responsible ;)

I have ram/a HDD and a USB stick ready to rumble and a vanilla OPENELEC box was my initial intent.

I just had a weak moment thinking I needed to put W7 on it earlier. It has since faded :o

I'm pulling my hair out here. Want to do a hard power on/off but the remote at the moment will only soft power on/off from suspend which has issues. I need to go into the bios to disable EUP which will then let the remote power the unit on from cold and power it off too.

Holding delete while booting does nothing, the machine still boots into openelec. Same for all other F keys. Removing USB stick with openelec and then booting holding any of the aforementioned keys jut gets me a message to insert boot media.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,865 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm pulling my hair out here. Want to do a hard power on/off but the remote at the moment will only soft power on/off from suspend which has issues. I need to go into the bios to disable EUP which will then let the remote power the unit on from cold and power it off too.

Holding delete while booting does nothing, the machine still boots into openelec. Same for all other F keys. Removing USB stick with openelec and then booting holding any of the aforementioned keys jut gets me a message to insert boot media.

Any ideas?

I tried disabling EUP but I still get a soft power on/off :confused:

(using windows 7)

Up and running now, but have to figure out how to work the wlan first. Does it not scan the available networks??

Setup a static IP with you ssid and it should connect.

Wired is best for streaming tho!

It's best to reboot after any network settings changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Barebones is back in stock at €99.95 + shipping from the OP's original Amazon.de link

invest4deepvalue.com

Any ideas?

Are you using a wired keyboard to get into the BIOS?

Wireless USB I.K.Y.S.

My brother has a wired USB. I'll borrow that for a test.

I'll edit my post Do-More.

Deffo think I'll buy another 2 at that price. Loving my current 4 for openelec. Can use 5th in shop for sports on 1080p lotto screen till bro gets his new 1080p tv for his room in a few weeks/months whereupon it goes to his room.

I'm going to install HDD and DVD drive from dead laptop into one of my current ones to try Win 7 on and assuming its better than my 8 year old P4 dell I browse and do light tasks on, then I can use the sixth MC001 as a stopgap PC till I can afford to build myself a new i5 rig whereupon that sixth unit goes out to shop to replace 5th unit that eventually went to bro's room. Confused....So am I :D

Basically because I already own some I get to try before I buy again by installing Win 7 on current unit and this is not a hassle because they open up easy and no existing disc based OS to wipe and then have to reinstall because I run openelec off a USB stick.

jetsons.jpg

Just another day at Calibos' house!

Basically because I already own some I get to try before I buy again by installing Win 7 on current unit and this is not a hassle because they open up easy and no existing disc based OS to wipe and then have to reinstall because I run openelec off a USB stick.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to running the OS off a USB stick like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

Headshot wrote: »

I have one of these and find it's not very pleasant to use. Fine if you like laptop keyboards but I don't really.

I got one of these with my htpc and love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO2af7BwHsw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Any updates on the dedicated build of openelec? I am expecting delivery any day now....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

My RAM arrived yesterday, so finally got to set mine up.

Clean installed Windows 8 32 bit on it which went very smoothly even activated Windows Media Centre with a free key even though that was advertised to expire on Feb. 1st. Happy days!

Windows seems to have got most things working with automatic updates, but not the TV tuner, will have to look at that later, hopefully just a question of manually installing drivers.

Installed "Jump" remote desktop app on my Android HP touchpad to use it as a remote control, but so far I can only get it working with the desktop displaying on one or other device at a time, will have to spend some more time to figure out if I can use it in dual display mode.

Also stuck XBMC Frodo on it all seems to be fine, but haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet, that will probably have to wait until the weekend.

[Edit] Figured out I need to set up Jump with VNC instead of RDP, just haven't had a chance to do it yet.

invest4deepvalue.com

Im having awful trouble trying to get the file sharing going between my computer and the arctic

Just get the you do not have permission to access this, when I try to add stuff from my computer to the arctic

(not wireless)

Openelec will not go online for me.
    I tried the wlan entereing my SSID etc and password manually - nothing
    Then i plugged into my router - still nothing...

Network info says Link not connected.
    How do i do this? How do i get an internet browser?
    Im about 5 mins away from going back to windows here
    Feck!!

Internet working now. dodgy cable

Got into Bios with Wired Keyboard and disabled EUP.

All MC001's now do full shut down and Boot from Cold with Harmony Remote power Toggle button.

Enabled Overheat Warning/Auto Shutdown while I was in the BIOS. 75ºc warning and 85ºc auto shutdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Do-more wrote: »
    My RAM arrived yesterday, so finally got to set mine up.

Clean installed Windows 8 32 bit on it which went very smoothly even activated Windows Media Centre with a free key even though that was advertised to expire on Feb. 1st. Happy days!

Windows seems to have got most things working with automatic updates, but not the TV tuner, will have to look at that later, hopefully just a question of manually installing drivers.

Also stuck XBMC Frodo on it all seems to be fine, but haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet, that will probably have to wait until the weekend.

[Edit] Figured out I need to set up Jump with VNC instead of RDP, just haven't had a chance to do it yet.

Installed a SSD and put Win 8 on it. XBMC playback is really choppy now. Was running openelec prior to this and all was perfect. Anyone any suggestions of settings may need to play with.

cgc5483 wrote: »
    Installed a SSD and put Win 8 on it. XBMC playback is really choppy now. Was running openelec prior to this and all was perfect. Anyone any suggestions of settings may need to play with.

Update your ATI video drivers and make sure hardware acceleration (DXVA) is enabled in XBMC (under settings > video > playback)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Update your ATI video drivers and make sure hardware acceleration (DXVA) is enabled in XBMC (under settings > video > playback)

Yeah tried both of those already but hasn't made any difference. Says the driver is up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Ssd firmware? Mine was 3 years out of date :(

Advertisement