Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

hangar18_ wrote: »
    Nice one astrofluff when did you order it and what os will you be putting on it. Can't wait for mine to come.
    Ordered on 24th. It's the Blu-ray version so already pre-loaded with W7HPrem.

The box it came in is so small. I was expecting a desktop-sized package box. Not even enough space for a keyboard (or 5 remotes ;) )

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

just got mine at lunch. Anyone know what keys are used to get into bios or boot menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Got my 4 as well.

8443735529_88b0842c64.jpg

The thermal pad plastic is left on intentionally by the factory. You fit the internal parts you want and then take the plastic off the thermal pads before replacing the covers. If you have to remove the lid in the future you can damage the thermal pads and need new ones. If the pads did not have the plastic from the factory the first time you opened the machine up to add components might render the pads useless before you even started.

In other words, if you intend to replace HDD or Optical drive etc in the future, it'd be a good idea to purchase some new thermal pads, cause you'd damage the originals opening the machine up to put the new kit inside.

For anyone who ordered the Barebones. Don't get your hopes up that they sent you a higher spec version by mistake. The Box is a standard box and my barebones gives the spec list of the Dvd version with HDD, Win 7 etc. DVD logo on the front of box etc. Small barcode sticker indicates barebones MC001-N however. Opened one of them up there and it is indeed the barebones. Didn't realise even the barebones MC001-N had the DVB-T tuner card though, so happy about that. Openelec users are working on a Modded version for the MC001 to get us the boot times Openelec is famous for and to get the tuner card working in OpenElec/XBMC. If I could only persuade 2 other family members to give up Sky Sports (via UPC), then I would get rid of UPC for TV and just keep the Broadband and get TV from Digital Terrestrial. Would be so cool to have all our viewing done through these boxes and XBMC.

just got mine at lunch. Anyone know what keys are used to get into bios or boot menu?
    Hold down DEL immediately after power on.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Yep all boxes the same it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

The Box I have says that it has Win 7 preinstalled and had a 500GB HDD & 4GB Memory, but there is no HDD or Memory in the unit. I ordered without Memory and HDD and that is what I received.

Just to note, I had a peep inside one of these for someone on Saturday and there are thermal pads on top of the heatsinks to transfer heat into the lid panel.

On the one I looked inside these pads had plastic film on top that hadn't been removed in the factory.

On the install sheet for the HDD and Memory, it says to remove them. 7 in total I think.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    On the install sheet for the HDD and Memory, it says to remove them. 7 in total I think.

just as a matter of interest is there anything else of note on the install sheet as I got no documentation with mine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Ah for feck's sake..

Is everyone getting theirs?

Ha ha.. I'm sitting here waiting for a call, a text .. ANYTHING!! :o

No sign yet. I'm sure it'll come today..
    just as a matter of interest is there anything else of note on the install sheet as I got no documentation with mine

Maybe something here
    http://www.arctic.ac/en/support/downloads.htm?cid=7219&pid=9908

Can someone check if the optical drive cover stays on without an optical drive inside (on the barebones). It was something else that seemed fiddly on the one I looked at.

• Advertisement

It's just a two sided A4 showing how to put in the HDD and Memory and remove the plastic tabs and how to open the unit.

The connection for the wireless antenna doesn't seem very sturdy. Anyone else find this?

Resolution is coming up overscanned on 1080 Panny TV. So I'm missing all around the edges. I'll check drivers and Tv device itself. Some niggly little things to sort out to have it running nicely on the installed Win7. I'll post all my niggles later once I'm happy all is done.

Ah, the one I was looking at didn't have any documentation sheet. Just wanted to make sure people knew to remove them before using it.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Resolution is coming up overscanned on 1080 Panny TV. So I'm missing all around the edges. I'll check drivers and Tv device itself. Some niggly little things to sort out to have it running nicely on the installed Win7. I'll post all my niggles later once I'm happy all is done.
    Cheers looking forward to your update I'm a bit new to the barebones setup and any tips would be appreciated. Going to try openelec any tips for which version would be best?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Anyone try openelec yet?

Just wondering is all? can't wait till I get home to have a play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It went to my neighbours...

Woohoo!! :)

Now i can play with it when i get home. I thought i was going to be waiting another day..

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Cheers looking forward to your update I'm a bit new to the barebones setup and any tips would be appreciated. Going to try openelec any tips for which version would be best?

You can only use the Generic version for now as the Artic MC001 build is not ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Just to note, I had a peep inside one of these for someone on Saturday and there are thermal pads on top of the heatsinks to transfer heat into the lid panel.

On the one I looked inside these pads had plastic film on top that hadn't been removed in the factory.

Is this only apply when installing the HDD and the memory or does it also cover the optical drive?

Already have the hard drive and ram but want the option of putting in a blu ray later.

m8 wrote: »

You can only use the Generic version for now as the Artic MC001 build is not ready.
    Thanks Ill download that later im still waiting on my memory to be delivered so can't do anything untill then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Got it up and running today.

Installed openelec on a 1GB USB stick. Runs fine if a bit slow at times but it is updating the library so hope it it full speed once that completes.

Have Harmony Remote working fine with it (so now I have 5 remotes that I don't need. Have mailed the seller about the extra remotes they sent me and if I don't hear anything back, will make them available.

Boot time is not great - maybe 30 or so seconds.

Audio didn't work initially but had to change the audio settings to go through HDMI (think it was digital audio by default).

• Registered Users Posts: 53,905 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can someone tell me what is the height of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

I'm intrigued by this. I already have a W7 HTPC & am considering setting-up an Extender. Not 100% sold on using an X-Box (too loud?) so was waiting on the Ceton Echo to be released in Europe ($179 = €130 + Rip-off Ireland Tax?). Then I saw this thread.....

I understand I won't be able to use this as an actual extender, so no integrated TV guide, but I should still be able to view Recorded TV stored on my main HTPC. As regards recording TV on this- am I right in thinking that an SSD is great for an OS but not so great for actually recording & playing TV from? Anybody have any other thoughts on using this as a Media Center extender alternative?

Only thing is, cheap as it is, adding memory, SSD & W7 OS will push the price up considerably. FWIW, I don't fancy using anything other than MS W7. As regards the MC001-BD, I've no need for Blu-Ray. BTW, anyone know if there are any spare PCI/PCI-e slots?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

MaceFace wrote: »
    Got it up and running today.

Installed openelec on a 1GB USB stick. Runs fine if a bit slow at times but it is updating the library so hope it it full speed once that completes.

Sounds like the library updating slowing it down alright. I installed the Windows Version of XBMC Frodo on an old 2005 Dell to test out. After the Library updated its running super smooth on all the skins I tried (Aeon Nox, Confluence, Metropolis etc). Now, that PC is 8 years old with a 3.4ghz P4 (400 CPU marks) and an ATI X850XT GPU 256mb(8 year old GPU on 2009 drivers) and 2 gig of Ram. Openelec Frodo on a dual core 1.8ghz Atom (775 CPU Marks) with 4 gig ram and a Mobility Radeon 5340 (512mb onboard) should definately run smooth if the crockety old Dell is running smooth.

Have Harmony Remote working fine with it (so now I have 5 remotes that I don't need. Have mailed the seller about the extra remotes they sent me and if I don't hear anything back, will make them available.

What device did you enter into the Harmony setup (MCE media PC, eHome, Asrock 330HT etc etc???? The Harmony site certainly did not have Arctic MC001 in its database.

Boot time is not great - maybe 30 or so seconds.

Boot Time and Tuner Card should be sorted with the MC001 specific Openelec build. Not much word on the Openelec forums about it though. ie We know someone or some people are working on it but no mention of who they are or any progress reports from them. Can't make head nor tail of the Stuff on Git Hub about it.p

Audio didn't work initially but had to change the audio settings to go through HDMI (think it was digital audio by default).

I am still waiting on delivery of my Ram and USB sticks so can't so anything with mine yet.

so I've put 4GB of RAM in, a 60GB SSD and win 8 and doing a cold boot in just under 20 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

If anyone is looking for a remote (I could be mistaken but) the Arctic looks like a re-badge of this remote on ebay for €5 delivered.

No mention on that listing but it is quite possible that it won't be despatched until after the Chinese New Year holiday is over in a fortnight.

invest4deepvalue.com

I got the BD version so I'm using a full build Win7. Can't help you any further WRT Openelec, sorry!

I got the BD version so I'm using a full build Win7. Can't help you any further WRT Openelec, sorry!
    No bother thanks anyway might just stick windows on it anyway it's what I know.

What is your opinion of it as a Win 7 machine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hi Folks, mine arrived today, nice looking machine. I installed my SSD harddrive and ram but when I went to boot up the pc powered on but the scene was blank. I bought 2nd hand ram SODIMM DDR3 10600 which "SHOULD" be the same as SODIMM DDR3 10666 which is listed as compatible with the PC.

There is no boot screen or picture over the vga/hdmi with or without the DDR3 10600 installed so I recon the ram is the issue, either faulty or not compatible. Can one of you kind folks could let me know if you had success with PC10600 ram installed, and if the pc will show a boot screen with no ram installed? Hopefully it's just a ram issue, I don't fancy doing an RMA on this.

I was thinking on buying two of these from memoryc, but before I pull the trigger I would like some confirmation that there is no boot screen with no ram installed.

Advertisement