Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Depends on whether you think the dvd drive is worth 20 notes or if ya could pick one up in adverts or somewhere else cheaper.
    Or as some of the lads,want to get bluray,it's up to you really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Ok I just bought the MC001-N (€99.95)....looking forward to getting it now! Cheers OP!

PS. I seen a few posts about using a remote with these machines any idea if this remote will work with it?
    Its an xbox360 IR6 remote
    344px-Xbox_360_remote.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

AM i'd say that will work alright,if not straight away with eventghost.

When you ask questions and remotes and Bluray drives etc, you need to be clear about what OS you plan to use.

For example I wouldn't bother with a Bluray drive under Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hey lads having issues with the wireless as in it's not working any tips I'm using openelec.

• Advertisement

Hey lads having issues with the wireless as in it's not working any tips I'm using openelec.

Put the network settings to default and start fresh. All the configuring should be done in Network 1 tab to keep it simple.
    Network type = WLAN
    Interface = wlan0.
    SSID=(your router ssid)
    encryption type and password you get from your router setup.

That's all you should need to fill in, everything else should be gotten automatically. Make sure to click OK to save the settings. It usually takes a reboot or two to come into effect.

Make sure to put the wifi antenna on of course.

Put the network settings to default and start fresh. All the configuring should be done in Network 1 tab to keep it simple.
    Network type = WLAN
    Interface = wlan0.
    SSID=(your router ssid)
    encryption type and password you get from your router setup.

That's all you should need to fill in, everything else should be gotten automatically. Make sure to click OK to save the settings. It usually takes a reboot or two to come into effect.

Make sure to put the wifi antenna on of course.
    Thanks man worked straight off cheers for all your help setting up this. We're would a noob be without boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Pardon my ignorance, but do I need to add a HD and Ram to this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

When you ask questions and remotes and Bluray drives etc, you need to be clear about what OS you plan to use.

For example I wouldn't bother with a Bluray drive under Linux.

Why not?

Back again to pick some brains I have it All setup and working ( playing mOvies, downloading thumbnails etc ) but I have no add ons at all. Can't change skins or anything again anyone help?,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

clio_16v wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance, but do I need to add a HD and Ram to this?

depends on what you bought, the answer is , yes probably

dahamsta wrote: »
    Why not?

Playing Bluray under Linux is just a hassle. DVD works perfectly but playing Blurays is a pain - the encryption can be regularly updated, keys revoked, all this kind of stuff. BD-J menus arent supported.

It can be done and i've tested it myself but its just a hassle and with the low price of Bluray players nowadays personally I wouldn't bother putting a drive into a HTPC.

Again, just under Linux im talking about. If you have Windows you can use PowerDVD or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

neacy69 wrote: »
    Ok I just bought the MC001-N (€99.95)....looking forward to getting it now! Cheers OP!

PS. I seen a few posts about using a remote with these machines any idea if this remote will work with it?
    Its an xbox360 IR6 remote
    344px-Xbox_360_remote.jpg

Yep, I dug my one out of a drawer and popped some batteries in a few days ago Worked right out of the box so to speak. In fact its how I discovered that the slow remote response of my Harmony 300 was not completely down to the remote itself or the MC001 or XBMC settings. All the MCE devices I configured my harmony with worked but were a bit slow. That remote was lovely and smooth and fast. I then used the 360 base map for the Harmony. Now that harmony was almost as quick as that 360 remote. However an email to Logitech Support should get it performing as fast as that remote. Button press delay and inter key delay can be only be adjusted on their end with these cheapo Harmonys. With the more expensive harmonys one can adhust things like delay settings oneself via the softare. (Not on the Harmony 200 or 600 though.

IN short, if you have one of them remotes and you don't need a universal type remote like the Harmany to control multiple devices, then you are already Golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Will all these remotes work with openelec or do you need to do some extra setup for them?

Back again to pick some brains I have it All setup and working ( playing mOvies, downloading thumbnails etc ) but I have no add ons at all. Can't change skins or anything again anyone help?,

Have the same issue as well but at one point I could get the add-ons.

Changed my DNS settings to Goodles one 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

I got the add-ons whith those settings.

Reset your network settings to default and then setup static with google DNS. You might need to reboot a few times.

I changed my settings to use wifi and lost the add-ons again . Settings were ok as could stream from local server so DNS seems to be the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I've ordered one of these for my sis. I have my own HTPC running Openelec but she wants to be able to browse the net etc. Essentially using it as a "smart TV" box as well as a media player. I have a spare 2Gig DIMM and a 500GB HDD.

My question is: Has anyone set this up running Win XP or Win 7 with XBMC on top with 2Gig RAM? Just wondering what HD playback through XBMC over wireless N signal is like? Does it stutter etc?..... Can it handle win XP running XBMC?

Cheers for the info folks

Tried it on a PC with XP but 4gb Ram and wireless G. All was fine no problems streaming at all with my setup.

Also tried an an realy old pc with wifi b and got the odd buffer on it.

I think it should be fine tbh.

m8 wrote: »

Have the same issue as well but at one point I could get the add-ons.

Changed my DNS settings to Goodles one 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

I got the add-ons whith those settings.

Reset your network settings to default and then setup static with google DNS. You might need to reboot a few times.

I changed my settings to use wifi and lost the add-ons again . Settings were ok as could stream from local server so DNS seems to be the issue here.
    Turned it on today and all the add ons are there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

m8 wrote: »
    Tried it on a PC with XP but 4gb Ram and wireless G. All was fine no problems streaming at all with my setup.

Also tried an an realy old pc with wifi b and got the odd buffer on it.

I think it should be fine tbh.
    Yeah, I mean my own streams 1080 fine over N. So her network should be fine. Was just wondering about the proc really. Cheers

Might get one of these for me bedroom though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭hangar18_

Got mine today :) Big thanks to op for the heads up on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

aarrrggghhh ordered mine just before you hanger18_ last Friday and no sign!!!!!! sitting in work in Dublin city center jumping on every phone call thinking this is it........hopefully the postman is delivering 1 by 1 around town....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Install problem I was getting was related to my HDD going to fail soon it seems. Anyone got a link to a well priced HDD for this (Doesn't have to be SSD)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Install problem I was getting was related to my HDD going to fail soon it seems. Anyone got a link to a well priced HDD for this (Doesn't have to be SSD)
    Allyall posted this one earlier in the thread.

Not sure about delivery but there should be other options on Amazon around the £25.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

For anyone not wanting to mess with DNS settings and Static IP's etc to get their add-ons working again (Which it didn't for me anyway), found this which worked for me. Posted by XMBC Forum Mod Artrafael:
    Quite a few threads on this subject in the past week since Frodo went "gold".

System/Settings > Add-ons > Get Add-ons. Highlight a repository and open its context menu ("c" on keyboard or right mouse click) and select "Force refresh". Rinse and repeat for any other repositories you have installed. May have to wait a bit for everything to show up.

The first 3 MC001's I set up were fine wrt add-ons from the getgo and the add-ons were still working fine on those machines today. However, when I got around to doing the last one this afternoon, I couldn't get the transparency skin as its downloaded from the add-on section and there were no addons displaying at all.

Quick question, anyone know if the thermal pads used inside our MC001's have any adhesive properties. I ask because I was holding one and looked in through the vents on the back panel and can see that the Aluminium side panel was not touching the CPU/GPU heatsink or mosfet heatsink.

I pressed down on the panel and it stuck to the pads for a few seconds but pulled away again.

What I mean to say is, is it worth my while running the unit on its side to generate some heat in the unit with a heavy book on the side panel to keep the alu panel in contact with the thermal pad till it bonds?? ie. Will it ever bond??

I've no experience with thermal pads except when scraping them of the odd old CPU in the past and replacing with a good thermal paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Maybe take off the side panel and bend it slightly with your hands so that it bows in and is always in contact with the pads?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

hi,
    I am new here so please bear with me on this.

I recieved the mc001 last night installed the beta version of openelec and that seemed to load o.k. (hdd installation)
    I am trying now to setup the network storage and dvb tuners but unfortunately I cant see the network. I am again new to xbmc and linux but When I look a little closer into openelec I cant see the mac address. I am now wondering if any of the network (lan or Wlan) or the tuner ias installed.
    Is there any way to get a step by step guide to getting this or openelec up and running.
    One last question. How do you know what type of xbmc is installed with openelec 2.0. Or should I go as others have and install xbmc frodo ontop of openelec.

Apologies if I sound not the brightest here.

Best Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

hi,
    I am new here so please bear with me on this.

I recieved the mc001 last night installed the beta version of openelec and that seemed to load o.k. (hdd installation)
    I am trying now to setup the network storage and dvb tuners but unfortunately I cant see the network. I am again new to xbmc and linux but When I look a little closer into openelec I cant see the mac address. I am now wondering if any of the network (lan or Wlan) or the tuner ias installed.
    Is there any way to get a step by step guide to getting this or openelec up and running.
    One last question. How do you know what type of xbmc is installed with openelec 2.0. Or should I go as others have and install xbmc frodo ontop of openelec.

Apologies if I sound not the brightest here.

Best Regards

Maybe use XBMCbuntu Frodo until OpenELEC 3 final is out?

Advertisement