Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

hi,
    I am new here so please bear with me on this.

I recieved the mc001 last night installed the beta version of openelec and that seemed to load o.k. (hdd installation)
    I am trying now to setup the network storage and dvb tuners but unfortunately I cant see the network. I am again new to xbmc and linux but When I look a little closer into openelec I cant see the mac address. I am now wondering if any of the network (lan or Wlan) or the tuner ias installed.
    Is there any way to get a step by step guide to getting this or openelec up and running.
    One last question. How do you know what type of xbmc is installed with openelec 2.0. Or should I go as others have and install xbmc frodo ontop of openelec.

Apologies if I sound not the brightest here.

Best Regards

There are step-by-step guides on the OpenElec website. And much of the initial hurdles you might run into are already mentioned and solved in this thread here.

OpenElec 2.0 is XBMC Eden (11).
    OpenElec 3.0 will be Frodo (12) and you can test it now, it is in the release candidate (RC) phase which means very close to final.

There is a dedicated build of OpenElec for the MC001 coming soon so for now you should install Generic i386 Version:2.99.2 and spend the next few days getting used to it. You will be doing a clean install when the MC001 build comes out so don't waste too much time getting things set up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

There are step-by-step guides on the OpenElec website. And much of the initial hurdles you might run into are already mentioned and solved in this thread here.

OpenElec 2.0 is XBMC Eden (11).
    OpenElec 3.0 will be Frodo (12) and you can test it now, it is in the release candidate (RC) phase which means very close to final.

There is a dedicated build of OpenElec for the MC001 coming soon so for now you should install Generic i386 Version:2.99.2 and spend the next few days getting used to it. You will be doing a clean install when the MC001 build comes out so don't waste too much time getting things set up perfectly.
    Thanks " I kill you acum"

I looked at the openelec site but only found a reference guide to wiki. It didn't help with generic installation of openelec. Maybe I missed their own one. At the moment I am stuck without tvuner or network access.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I had network access from first boot without doing anything. Have you static IP's setup for your network or DHCP??

You may or may not be stuck without tuner for longer. Thats not working in openelec yet and I don't know whether the MC001 specific build will have it working either although the prospects improved substantially when the partnership deal with Arctic was announced. ie. The openelec developers might get more help from arctic whether it be in the form of advice on how to get it working in openelec or prompt firmware updates to help get it working. Before the deal, had a developer emailed a request to arctic to make a change to something in the firmware to help them get something working in Openelec, they would probably have been answered with a polite, "Who are you, no we won't, go away". Now the answer might be, "IS tomorrow alright for you?" :D

Thanks " I kill you acum"

I looked at the openelec site but only found a reference guide to wiki. It didn't help with generic installation of openelec. Maybe I missed their own one. At the moment I am stuck without tvuner or network access.

Forget about the tv tuner until the dedicated build for the MC001 comes out.

Wired network works out of the box with the build I posted above. No changes necessary, network access should be there on first boot. If you see the scrolling RSS feed on the bottom you have network access.

Forget about the tv tuner until the dedicated build for the MC001 comes out.

Wired network works out of the box with the build I posted above. No changes necessary, network access should be there on first boot. If you see the scrolling RSS feed on the bottom you have network access.
    Hi again.
    I just need to confirm if yoy used the generic openelec build.
    Also I am on dhcp and not fixed ip. I saw in the openelec network and network 2 there is no option for dhcp.
    I am trying it on a wired network rather than wireless..

• Advertisement

Hi again.
    I just need to confirm if yoy used the generic openelec build.
    Also I am on dhcp and not fixed ip. I saw in the openelec network and network 2 there is no option for dhcp.
    I am trying it on a wired network rather than wireless..

The build you should be on (for now) is posted above in bold.

The network config is setup by default to use DHCP. For most people the wired LAN should work with no changes on first boot. If you've made any changes in the OpenElec network settings then reset everything to default and reboot so you can troubleshoot methodically.

After reseting everything to default and rebooting, go into system info and post what you have under the Network tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I am free from 2 o'clock onwards. I can't wait to get stuck into it. I haven't had the chance all week, except one night where i forgot the RAM.
    Looking at all the posts should be interesting as i go along.

I can't wait.. It's been staring at me every night i got home..

Tried out wireless on one of my boxes today. Wasn't working......until I copped that I had typed in my Networks SSID all in caps. :o:D

Installed the VOD.ie plugin learning how to use Filezilla to sFTP into the box in the process which should come in handy for changing system files (Keymap.xml etc)

So....didn't miss the game while working in the shop today. Hooked up the box via HDMI to the National Lottery supplied 42 inch 1080p LCD screen (Which has speakers-didn't realise until I looked up the manual online to figure out which button to press to change inputs from DVI of the Lotto content server to HDMI) and watched the match on RTE2HD via Aer.tv with the VOD.ie addon.

(I've a Cat 5e run from the house to the shop with a Wireless AP on the end so our Laptops/iPads/Nexus 7's/iPhones etc can access the home network and the internet.)

From the getgo I noticed and was surprised that the Openelec splash on boot was much smoother than it looks on the house TV's at 720p and then when in XBMC proper, the Homescreen and TVshow Library screens (Transparency Skin) looked amazingly pin sharp in 1080p. Next time the TV's need replacing I'll be getting 1080p versions :D

As for the streamed match. Pixelated a bit with movement but was pin sharp when camera pans stopped etc. To be expected seeing as the stream is probably being encoded to H264 from DVB-T2 realtime on the aer.tv end. ie nothing to do with the MC001 as it wasn't breaking a sweat itself as its the GPU decoding H264. However still magnitudes better PQ than the mushy pixelated SD mess from the BBC stream in FilmOn that I also checked out.

Just loving the versatility of XBMC and these things.... :D

Allyall wrote: »
    I am free from 2 o'clock onwards. I can't wait to get stuck into it. I haven't had the chance all week, except one night where i forgot the RAM.
    Looking at all the posts should be interesting as i go along.

I can't wait.. It's been staring at me every night i got home..

thanks all for the help reinstalled opt.elev and all was fine. I am starting the process of setting up the amiko alien 2 as a client for streaming tv. Has anyone tried this.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

thanks all for the help reinstalled opt.elev and all was fine. I am starting the process of setting up the amiko alien 2 as a client for streaming tv. Has anyone tried this.

No but I would very interested in the setup when you yo manage it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Damn you OP!

Ordered the basic one there with the remote.

Gonna get RAM off memoryc.

XBMC here I come! :D

ps. Just one question - will this take any normal sized blu ray drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

quad_red wrote: »

ps. Just one question - will this take any normal sized blu ray drive?
    Nope it needs a slim blu ray drive as you would find in a laptop, scroll back a few pages and you will find some links.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

it takes a 12.5mm mini-sata drive.

also check reviews before you buy, i've been stung once already with an old drive that doesnt seem to play blu ray moves (wtf?)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hey trying to install win 7 onto one of these for a friend, it keeps asking for DVD drivers and when we put the cd in that came with the mc001 it says drivers not found. Anyone who has installed win 7 able to help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion of this pre-built model in the thread. I don't mind buying all the bits myself, but equally I'm quite happy enough to buy a pre-built one like this. I know it's €199 vs €115 for the bare bones version, but you get the remote, RAM, DVD & HD included. I know they don't necessarily add up to the difference of €85 but they're not far off and it saves me having to spend time on getting all the bits separately.

Apart from the fact that the ad sounds like Tesco (claims this was sold at €399 previously, yet tells us this is a new product) is there any reason someone looking at a slightly lazy way of getting the device should be wary of getting this?

They seem a bit vague on details of DLNA (which I'm still a bit vague on myself) but from what I can see this device should be usable for streaming content to either a DLNA enabled TV or other device elsewhere in the house and so the Artic can sit somewhere away from the TV - is this correct? The house will be pretty well networked, so presumably I should be able to stream to network based clients also - correct?

Cheers for any info,

z
    Calibos wrote: »
    Yeah Baby!!! :D

http://openelec.tv/news/21-partners/82-arctic-announces-passive-cooled-systems-with-openelec-installed

Now we know there is a little more behind the specific build than some sole over worked coder. Or if it is he'll now get access to firmware code or get the manufacturers to update the firmware quickly to move the project along quicker. Great News.

Someone at Arctic must have been wondering why so many were being sold by Amazon even at that great price and dug a little deeper. I'd expect the price of even the barebones to go back up very soon again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

zagmund wrote: »
    I'm surprised there wasn't more discussion of this pre-built model in the thread. I don't mind buying all the bits myself, but equally I'm quite happy enough to buy a pre-built one like this. I know it's €199 vs €115 for the bare bones version, but you get the remote, RAM, DVD & HD included. I know they don't necessarily add up to the difference of €85 but they're not far off and it saves me having to spend time on getting all the bits separately.

Apart from the fact that the ad sounds like Tesco (claims this was sold at €399 previously, yet tells us this is a new product) is there any reason someone looking at a slightly lazy way of getting the device should be wary of getting this?

They seem a bit vague on details of DLNA (which I'm still a bit vague on myself) but from what I can see this device should be usable for streaming content to either a DLNA enabled TV or other device elsewhere in the house and so the Artic can sit somewhere away from the TV - is this correct? The house will be pretty well networked, so presumably I should be able to stream to network based clients also - correct?

Cheers for any info,

z

The OpenElec LE version with the TV tuner has been out of stock for a number of days now but it is available without the TV tuner for €194.

There is no reason not to go for it if that build suits you.

The reason it has probably not been discussed much is that most people on this thread had already ordered the barebones from Amazon before the OpenElec limited edition model was announced.

Having said that given the choice again I would still go with the barebones as I don't want a DVD drive and will add an SSD and Win8 in time as I already have a 4Tb NAS for storage in the meantime I have a 120Gb HDD idle so I will use that.

Still haven't got mine running yet as the various RAM I had at home didn't suit so I'm waiting on some in the post.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Just ordered mine today.

Spotted this RAM on Amazon.co.uk.

Works out about €20 with free delivery. need something to bump up the order over £25 though. In my case that'll be another 4Gbs of RAM! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53,865 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Was really hoping the postman would be delivering mine today, no luck

I hate the waiting

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jfk247

Cheers OP.....mine arrived in work this morning :)

just have to wait for the RAM which might arrive tomorrow fingers crossed!!!

Cheers for any info,

z

The Arctic is a simply a low-powered computer so what it can/cannot do depends on what OS and software you put on it.

Many people are putting OpenElec on it which is a custom Linux OS designed specifically to run XBMC (a media centre application).

If you want to know what XBMC can do then just install it on your PC and play around with it.

• Advertisement

The Arctic is a simply a low-powered computer so what it can/cannot do depends on what OS and software you put on it.

Can it play Crysis?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Cheers for any info,

z

If it's xbmc it means it's a dlna reciver.
    That's my experience anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I cant purchase til i get paid again (pretty broke!)

But for anyone looking for a SSD for it, Ebuyer have a 120GB for £52, I believe its a SATA 2 so not the fastest drive in the world, but still should be plenty quick for this.

They have some 60GB ones for a few pound less

Ebuyer will not ship to Ireland anymore so you will need to use parcel motel.

For most, certainly earlier in this thread we were buying them to run the openelec version of XBMC from a USB stick as clients under the tv to pull media content stored on a NAS device. As such we only needed to add some ram and a USB stick to the barebones MC001-N. Thus the €99 special price from Amazon was a steal despite some of the compromises of this unit. For us, the recently announced Arctic partnership deal for an introductory price of €199 would simply mean paying an extra €100 for parts we did not need. ie. HDD and DVD.

Our interest in the announcement was more about the fact that rather than waiting for a developer who happened to own one of these units get around to troubleshooting and compiling a specific build of openelec for the arctics on his own time with little help from anyone, the partnership deal meant more resources and help to fast-track a specific build with us being coincidental beneficiaries.

I'm not sure that even at the introductory price of €199 and even if you needed the HDD/DVD cause you were storing your content locally on the machine itself, that it's a great deal never mind if that price goes up. Once you get into the €200+ price range you start getting closer to the price of units with better hardware and less compromises. ie. say the price goes up to €275 after the introductory offer ends, well one might be better off spending and extra few quid for an xstreamer2 or Asrock ID80 or something like that that has a faster CPU and GPU that supports more features etc.

So don't necessarily take this thread as praising the MC001 no matter what, take it as praising it for a specific use @ €99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

For most, certainly earlier in this thread we were buying them to run the openelec version of XBMC from a USB stick as clients under the tv to pull media content stored on a NAS device. As such we only needed to add some ram and a USB stick to the barebones MC001-N. Thus the €99 special price from Amazon was a steal despite some of the compromises of this unit. For us, the recently announced Arctic partnership deal for an introductory price of €199 would simply mean paying an extra €100 for parts we did not need. ie. HDD and DVD.

Our interest in the announcement was more about the fact that rather than waiting for a developer who happened to own one of these units get around to troubleshooting and compiling a specific build of openelec for the arctics on his own time with little help from anyone, the partnership deal meant more resources and help to fast-track a specific build with us being coincidental beneficiaries.

I'm not sure that even at the introductory price of €199 and even if you needed the HDD/DVD cause you were storing your content locally on the machine itself, that it's a great deal never mind if that price goes up. Once you get into the €200+ price range you start getting closer to the price of units with better hardware and less compromises. ie. say the price goes up to €275 after the introductory offer ends, well one might be better off spending and extra few quid for an xstreamer2 or Asrock ID80 or something like that that has a faster CPU and GPU that supports more features etc.

So don't necessarily take this thread as praising the MC001 no matter what, take it as praising it for a specific use @ €99

Hi, has anyone got a link to the 199 model please? I can't see it on Amazon.de

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Hey what would be the best add ons to look for with openelec just trying to get the best use out of this. Have to say its great for movies both playing and presentation wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I agree - once you get over the €200 range you move away (or at least I do) from the "sure I can spend a bit on that bit of electrionics and if it doesn't work then not too much lost" range and into the realms of looking for a trade-off between price, performance, capacity, learning curve, etc . . . If it starts going over that price then I would think longer and harder about it. Anyway, Mrs Zag is getting to buy all sorts of new kitchen things during a rebuild so I feel like I should at least get some electronics to balance things out.

As it stands I have a motley selection of media on a motley selection of drives which need to be moved around the house and connected to different devices at different times and it's all a bit of a drag and not terribly organised. I reckon this might just be the device which allows me to get everything in one place for a while at least.

I had a look at the XBMC forums and it looks like it's a DLNA server as well as a receiver, although the support/compatibility seems a little sketchy. Thanks for all the info.

z

I ordered one today. I've no problems fitting spare ram and a HDD I have.

I've done a good bit of messing with XBMC with my laptop and want it on my tv.

So my intention is to have this under the telly connected to an external drive.

I was gonna download/rip using my laptop then transfer stuff to this box over the network.

Maybe that's not such a good idea though. Should I just get a big HDD for the box?

Mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

loopymum wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone got a link to the 199 model please? I can't see it on Amazon.de

Its from Arctic directly. Try following the link on this post:
    Yeah Baby!!! :D

http://openelec.tv/news/21-partners/82-arctic-announces-passive-cooled-systems-with-openelec-installed

Now we know there is a little more behind the specific build than some sole over worked coder. Or if it is he'll now get access to firmware code or get the manufacturers to update the firmware quickly to move the project along quicker. Great News.

Someone at Arctic must have been wondering why so many were being sold by Amazon even at that great price and dug a little deeper. I'd expect the price of even the barebones to go back up very soon again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I was thinking of getting the MC001-N & transfering a HDD (replacing it in a laptop with an SSD) into it that would hold all my media, as i don't have NAS, and putting XBMCbuntu on it or since reading the thread OpenELEC, i planed on using it for web streaming of football, youtube, TV players, etc. as well

Would it be the best option to go for, with what i want to do?

Advertisement