Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV going into administration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sad to see it go, spent a lot of money in there over the years. But like so many people, havent bought a cd in years, and any dvd or blu ray I get is from amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

They never have the music I want anyway, normally end up getting my CDs/Vinyl in Tower Records.

Their blu-ray deals were p good though from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Kirby wrote: »
    Besides, it's hard to feel sorry for any store who sold music during the 90's. The entire industry, including retail stores, fleeced everyone and made a killing. I feel sorry for some of the staff but if we've learned anything over the last few years is that business need to be allowed to sink or swim on their own and not be propped up.

Agreed. I rememeber a record shop in navan, closed a few years now, used to charge €22 for a CD. €27 if it was a compilation CD like the NOW series. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just FYI~ Going into administration doesn't mean that the stores are shutting up shop. Half of my twitter/facebook book is people going nuts about all the stores closing!

Exactly. Shares will be suspended in the morning but stores will be kept open in the hope a buyer is found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I knew this was coming but a pox on it anyway.

Tower Records in Eason's in Dublin and off Grafton Street in Dublin is all there is now.
    Kind of scary now with pubs going, what will the town's and cities look like in the next few years.
    Book shops too, kind of a shadow of what it once was even now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Agreed. I rememeber a record shop in navan, closed a few years now, used to charge €22 for a CD. €27 if it was a compilation CD like the NOW series. :eek:

They probably had to pay the council thousands in rates, and thousands more in rent to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

My dyslexic friend used to work in HMW...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

HMV were actually a decent shop in galway. Got a tablet for 75 euro less than currys and amazon and halo 4 was equal to amazon before dropping 10 euro in 4 days after i got it. Boxsets tended to be good value too. Now theres just xtravision and the steam voucher shop called gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Now where will i go to browse what to download. frown.png
    Where will I browse for what I want to get online?

Give me your credit card details and genre preferences lads, I'll sort you out.

It'll give you more time to dance over the demise of another few thousand jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

TheUsual wrote: »
    I knew this was coming but a pox on it anyway.

Tower Records in Eason's in Dublin and off Grafton Street in Dublin is all there is now.
    Kind of scary now with pubs going, what will the town's and cities look like in the next few years.
    Book shops too, kind of a shadow of what it once was even now.

Also Golden Discs in Jervis. It's pretty lost in time looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

liammur wrote: »
    They probably had to pay the council thousands in rates, and thousands more in rent to the landlord.

True, and with Tesco in the shopping centre as well it was probably always going to hard to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

they arent closing, just under an administrator

but they aren't honouring any gift cards or vouchers now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlueJohn

Jacob T wrote: »
    My dyslexic friend used to work in HMW...

was it me?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

anncoates wrote: »
    We have this great device called a letterbox that allows us to circumvent this issue.

Leaving aside the poor attempt at sarcasm An Post often will not put those through our letterbox. Even if it's just a single Amazon package with one DVD/bluray inside. It fits but sometimes they put them through and sometimes they don't and leave a collection note instead. And obviously larger packages won't fit at all.

Did I really have to explain that to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Goodbye €45 euro games :/
    Hello €60 games :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

That's just the way it's gonna be. No point renting prime retail sites, paying thousands on fittings and fixtures and more on staff to stock shelves and provide customer service when everything can be centralised and operated cheaply from a warehouse in the country.
    Just post out the stock,put all your sales pitches and info on a website and deal with customer service by email. Results in cheaper running cost, increased profit and you still undercut b&m shops.

I once thought the only shops that would remain would be those who sold food (gotta be fresh) clothes (gotta try before you buy) and large bulky items (expensive to post)

So far tesco operate a decent delivery services and my clothes shopping is mostly online so I've been wrong twice now.

I can't even imagine what town and city centres are gonna look like in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Also Golden Discs in Jervis. It's pretty lost in time looking.

I remember a Golden Discs in Nth Earl St, Ilac Centre, Henry st and Grafton St. Now there's one left in town :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

DominoDub wrote: »

If that is real i sure as hell wouldn't buy anything in HMV now - no refunds to be given on goods even if faulty !? Sod that! So I take it consumer rights go right out the window once administration comes into force, i don't see how a company should be allowed to continue to trade if a customer no longer has consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Grayditch wrote: »
    Goodbye €45 euro games :/
    Hello €60 games :/

This is most upsetting to me. I buy all my games in HMV, as they are almost always €45.

And they gave the best prices on trade-ins aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

chasm wrote: »

If that is real i sure as hell wouldn't buy anything in HMV now - no refunds to be given on goods even if faulty !? Sod that! So I take it consumer rights go right out the window once administration comes into force, i don't see how a company should be allowed to continue to trade if a customer no longer has consumer rights.

Why don't you go look up your consumer rights specifically in relation to administration. HMV is not breaking any law in doing this. This is how business works. If there is a problem with the product you just bought then contact the manufacturer

• Advertisement

Really hope that the stores remain open, especially in places such as Galway where HMV is the only place you will find a selection of CDs, games and films. There's a misconception that their pricing is ridiculously high but that really isn't the case. While there are some prices instore that are astronomical more often than not they offer great value, often beating the likes of amazon.

They have a huge selection of DVDs for under 4 euro, new release DVDs are 2 for 25 and their 5 Blu-Rays for 35 is great. Even buying the Blu's at the normal price of 9.99 is cheaper than on amazon. Even new release prices are good, Dredd is 18 euro on Blu. Xtra-Vision have it for 25. With HMV if you preorder an item at a price cheaper than the instore release price they give it to you at the cheaper price. Applies to all stock, order a game in gamestop at 35 and on release day if its 55 in store then that's the price you pay.

Going to be a sad day if the stores to close as it will pretty much mark the end of being able to go into a store and buy new music, films and games. Sure you have places like Tower in Dublin but their prices are ridicolous. Last time I was in there the average price of a DVD was 12 euro and Blu-Rays were 20-30. Even the cds were on average of 15 euro whereas HMV had many of the same new cds in a 2 for 16 euro (think it was 16 euro or close to it) offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Balls. €150 in hmv vouchers here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

squod wrote: »
    Quick someone blame illegal downloads and not the rip-off merchants for selling over priced tat.

HMV get hardly any mark up on new release albums. Blame the record companies not HMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

skywalker wrote: »
    Balls. €150 in hmv vouchers here :(

Same here. Raging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Why would anyone buy HMV Vouchers? They have been in trouble for well over a year now

It is unfortunate but understandable. You are not going to be able to continue on profitably paying the same rents, wages etc if one third of your market (essentially your profit margin) has disappeared.

Administration doesn't necessarily mean the will close up over night - it could be an opportunity to renegotiate / break leases and close stores before selling the group on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For high street shops selling music as their primary business, the writing has been on the wall for well over ten years now. A continual refusal to read the road ahead. I remember back when MP3 players started becoming popular, the buzz from HMV and the likes was that the "shop of the future" would involve you plugging your MP3 player into their sales terminal to put your digital purchases onto it.

A complete inability to see past their narrow and outdated delivery mechanism.

Unfortunate for the staff.

HMV still have quite a strong brand though. They still have time to change their business model and move to online sales of music and game hardware and accessories. There's a small gap in that market now that play.com have stopped diect sales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Sad to see jobs go, difficult to survive when your main product can be got so easily for free.
    I'm as much to blame as any consumer can be for opting for the free model.

There was a track years ago which played when Mark Greene died in ER, it was a ukelele version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow.
    My girlfriend at the time loved it & wanted a copy, HMV charged me €22 for the CD which was filler crap except to this one track.
    I swore that day I'd never be rodded like that again.

The staff have my sympathy, hope nobody is left high & dry with vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

A couple of years ago I had a 50 euro voucher for a children's clothing store chain which was going belly up, I went in and they told me I could only use half voucher half cash on items.
    I was so angry with myself for complying , I wish now I had just gone in and got my hands on 50 quids worth of items and handed it in and walked out the door. What were they gona do, call guards .

So if I was a Hmv customer with a voucher I'd grow the pair of balls I wish I had 2 years ago and go shopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

efb wrote: »
    Why would anyone buy HMV Vouchers? They have been in trouble for well over a year now

The question that needs to be asked is why HMV were still selling gift vouchers up until yesterday, they knew this was coming.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement