Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV going into administration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, have €20 voucher in my hand.

Will be visiting my local branch tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, have €20 voucher in my hand.

Will be visiting my local branch tomorrow.
    Spend it wisely :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Now where will i go to browse what to download. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

WindSock wrote: »
    Hooray \0/ Starbucks is coming to Grafton Street.

There's already one there

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Now where will i go to browse what to download. :(
    http://rateyourmusic.com/

I've basically stopped using any other site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

P_1 wrote: »
    True, digital media is really overtaking physical media, especially for music.

69% of new album sales were on CD
    29% download
    2% vinyl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I never buy music anymore but their DVDs, blurays and games are often excellent value. Its going to be a major blow to galway if they go under. Pretty much the only decent entertainment shop here.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    69% of new album sales were on CD
    29% download
    2% vinyl
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Asmodean wrote: »
    I never buy music anymore but their DVDs, blurays and games are often excellent value. Its going to be a major blow to galway if they go under. Pretty much the only decent entertainment shop here.

True. And the shop that used to be Zhivagos don't sell Blu-rays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Surprised no-one's mentioned the Channel Island VAT swindlers like play.com. I think HMV have reasonable grounds to take the government/revenue to court over the exemption.

• Advertisement

This really is a pity - they sometimes had secondhand games that would be a few euro cheaper than the likes of Game and Gamestop, plus they often had better trade in prices. Sad to see them go.

I remember Zhivagos used to be the place in Galway for buying CDs. What's there at the moment is a very pale shadow in comparison. If HMV goes where else in Galway sells CDs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Source?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/02/download-sales-1bn-2012

Actually the vinyl figure of 2% is more like 0.1% there. I heard that figure elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

21.29 on RTE NEWS - "and some News coming in....Hmv...blah blah" they must have turned on Sky News to find out.:rolleyes:

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jan/02/download-sales-1bn-2012

Actually the vinyl figure of 2% is more like 0.1% there. I heard that figure elsewhere.
    I'm actually surprised that digital sales aren't higher. Then again with the advent of Spotify and Deezer streaming would also have a huge impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pity, worked for them for years, they were always great value on new games, usually 5-10 quid cheaper than gamestop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Use your vouchers to buy Dredd on DVD or Bluray. :D

DO IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I have a few euros left on my voucher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

latenia wrote: »
    Surprised no-one's mentioned the Channel Island VAT swindlers like play.com. I think HMV have reasonable grounds to take the government/revenue to court over the exemption.

Does play.com packages still get stopped by customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Swindlers is a strong term to use which even a law novice might find purchase on.

Maybe you know more than they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

The UK closed that VAT loophole. Play are stopping to trade in their own right and just allowing others to sell over the site.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jan/09/play-closes-retail-business-vat-loophole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

They also sometimes had some cheap graphic novels about too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

wasn't HMV in news several months back again about being in financial trouble, and that they would be closing several of there stores in ireland as they're were too many. That never happened, it may happen now, can't see HMV shutting down altogether, there's still a market for them.

HMV had their own channel islands operation from 2005-2012

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

HMV's digital strategy was failed from the word go - I knew when i saw iMacs and Macbooks there that they were finished. Let's face it - apart from having the machine immediately, what's the point buying from HMV rather than Apple directly? None. But HMV had to obviously have an inventory of these.

It's just a matter of time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

P_1 wrote: »
    There's already one there

ah sure, another 6 in the area wouldn't hurt.

http://r77bpro.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/simpsons_starbucks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

"Daddy, what's a tree?"

"Why don't you download one on your internet?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Will be sad if it goes to the wall, still regularly buy CDs and DVDs although not from HMV as much as I used to. Never took to digital downloads and never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

just got word from parcel motel my order is in topaz:D

ordered 3 dvds and thinking i was saving money used PM. ...they sent 3 different packages.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

It's kind of sad to see a huge enterprise become a victim of technology. They never could have imagined what was coming. It'll be book shops soon enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement