Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV going into administration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Was in HMV kilkenny earlier today..i was the only person in the shop. Ok, its a monday afternoon but its a sign of the times..the shop had recently undergone a digital media upgrade, ipads, beats, etc etc, to help pull in the trade. I'm in there almost everyweekend buying boxsets. I for one will be disapointed to see it go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

It's kind of sad to see a huge enterprise become a victim of technology. They never could have imagined what was coming. It'll be book shops soon enough.

Waterstones who are owned by HMV have closed their branches in Dublin. The remaining ones run at a loss 10 months of the year.

Don't see many new Easons opening up anywhere either, not when the likes of Amazon and bookdepository always have better prices and short enough delivery times. Kindle and iPad are killing them too.
    just got word from parcel motel my order is in topaz:D

ordered 3 dvds and thinking i was saving money used PM. ...they sent 3 different packages.:mad:

Where did you wander in from? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kinetic Eye

Well I hope they're around for another 5 weeks or so anyways. Have a €20 voucher and I won't be in Ireland again till the end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Kompany

Apart from Rollercoaster in Kilkenny are there any real CD shops in the South East

east it is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

HMV UK stores have told staff not to accept vouchers... from tomorrow":eek:

I warned people not to get them and other vouchers over xmas ..as more shops will close post xmas trading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Kompany wrote: »
    Apart from Rollercoaster in Kilkenny are there any real CD shops in the South West

Since when is Kilkenny the South West?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

DominoDub wrote: »
    Balls....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

When i bought the WiiU from them before xmas i was asked if i wanted to take out a three year hmv warranty.

I said "No point you will be bust next year "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

There are a lot of reasons why this is happening. When I was a teen my local store was virgin megastore, I would spend hours there every week, then that died and became zavvi, and then that died and became HMV, now what's it going to be?

I have gone from someone who used to be there every week to someone who pops in when I am around. Simply because of the way that I get my media now, which is through ipad, iPhone, laptop and PS3 and Xbox. Why would I buy a TV series boxset when I have it and much more on Netflix. Why would I buy a CD when I can just buy it from iTunes and have it immediately when most of the time HMV don't even have the music I like anyway. They need to change it up to survive. Much more niche music. More games, less DVD's, more books, graphic novels, posters. Etc. if they became a nerd store I would definitely hang out there trying to find new and interesting stuff. They are much too mainstream now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

"...downloadable music is just a fad..." Steve Knott MD HMV 2002

Those that fail to evolve always die off.

• Advertisement

Looks like Apple will now get their Dublin Store on Grafton Street...sad news for the Jobs in HMV

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I warned people not to get them and other vouchers over xmas ..as more shops will close post xmas trading.

I hate asking for a link, but is this definite? Two family members have vouchers theyd use quickly if they could.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Where did you read that? Really picked a bad day to trade in a bunch of games for in-store credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I drop up to the kilkenny store every few months, was planning to go end of this month. Hope its still in business.

The "Voucher" talk is all over twitter ..source staff maybe.

It happened a few months back with COMET vouchers in the UK when they went into administration.

***Update Letter from UK HMV HQ
    https://twitter.com/navbasiTLW/status/290946153149775873/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I drop up to the kilkenny store every few months, was planning to go end of this month. Hope its still in business.

If you have a receipt you could go in and get them back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

How on earth can you be allowed refuse a valid voucher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

:( It's the only store worth bothering with round here. CD world is the other one, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

How on earth can you be allowed refuse a valid voucher?

because you're a creditor. And the administrators see how they can pay their creditors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

This might sound like a stupid question, but do they not have some kind of legal obligation to honour them since they have already been paid for them?

Edit: Thanks efb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

:( It's the only store worth bothering with round here. CD world is the other one, ffs.
    All we have in Athlone at the moment is Golden Discs... Golden F*cking Discs.

When Zavvi closed down I shed a tear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Vouchers are like turning money you can spend anywhere into money you can only spend in one place. I hate them. Do HMV not go bust every year in one form or another?? I thought they'd been bailed out more times than a canoe with a hole.

Am I an unsecured creditor?

You will be affected by the appointment of an external administrator and may be an unsecured creditor if you have:

paid in full for goods or services to be collected or delivered later
    paid a deposit, such as in a lay-by agreement or interest-free offer
    bought a gift card or voucher and have not used it
    returned a product and been issued a credit note.

https://twitter.com/navbasiTLW/status/290946153149775873/photo/1

Good twitter News Feed on Vouchers
    https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis

Possible way of getting money back from Credit Card Co's
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Waterstones who are owned by HMV have closed their branches in Dublin. The remaining ones run at a loss 10 months of the year.

Don't see many new Easons opening up anywhere either, not when the likes of Amazon and bookdepository always have better prices and short enough delivery times. Kindle and iPad are killing them too.

I think Books will outlast CD's. Kinda like Vinyl will actually outlast CD's. For many people, the medium itself matters and people are more nostalgic about books and records.

Not saying they won't take a fecking huge dent, but i think we'll still be seeing book and vinyl shops for a while after the last CD shop closes.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    All we have in Athlone at the moment is Golden Discs... Golden F*cking Discs.

When Zavvi closed down I shed a tear.
    Zavvi is gone? Bought a game or two from them early last year I think. One game got lost in the post but they sent it again and it came. Their postage was very cheap, only a euro or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It is bad news for High Street Retailers in general.

One less reason to go into your Town or City Centre, which means less footfall and less turnover for all shops.

Grayson wrote: »

I think Books will outlast CD's. Kinda like Vinyl will actually outlast CD's. For many people, the medium itself matters and people are more nostalgic about books and records.

Not saying they won't take a fecking huge dent, but i think we'll still be seeing book and vinyl shops for a while after the last CD shop closes.
    Don't want to see CDs die out. You can't really say to your friend "Hey come round and check out my huge collection of digital files, don't they look great?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Zavvi is gone? Bought a game or two from them early last year I think. One game got lost in the post but they sent it again and it came. Their postage was very cheap, only a euro or so.
    I meant their actual retail stores (ex Virgin Megastore), they still have the online store.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement