Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV going into administration

Options
  • 14-01-2013 9:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

If you have a gift voucher from the troubled music store chain - REDEEM IT ASAP.

According to Sky News.

Directors of HMV are this evening locked in talks about the retailer’s future amid growing concern that it could become the latest big-name high street chain to succumb to the flat-lining British economy.

http://news.sky.com/story/1038002/hmv-board-in-crisis-talks-over-chains-future

Sad news.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Ah well. Can't remember the last time I bought something at HMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Quick someone blame illegal downloads and not the rip-off merchants for selling over priced tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I blame illegal downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I blame guys with long hair and piercings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Aw, HMV are actually good value for games.
    Lets face it, digital downloads are taking over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I blame guys with long hair and piercings

nipple piercings or langer piercings?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just FYI~ Going into administration doesn't mean that the stores are shutting up shop.

True, but it does suggest all is not well there.
    Its been on the cards for a while now.

If I had a voucher I wouldn't be keeping it under the pillow for a rainy day all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Weren't HMV in the news a while back over them trying to impose new appearance standards on their existing employees (rewriting contracts and all that).

Now somebody more cynical than I could well imply that they knew that some sort on forced downsizing was on the cards and were trying to cut the redundancy bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Where will I get needles for my Gramophone?

What happens the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

You don't blame iTunes or any other digital music distributor? Just Illegal downloads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I like having hard copies of the films I watch and the music I listen to, but when it's cheaper to buy it online, including the shipping and all that, I'm gonna go there. It's a luxury item, I'm not gonna splash out and hand over the money they expect me to for a single CD or DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

it's not just illegal downloads, itunes has taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

True, digital media is really overtaking physical media, especially for music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'd blame iTunes and Amazon before I'd blame illegal downloads.

Actually they should blame themselves for trying to rip off customers with over-priced CDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Online retailers like Amazon also did huge damage to HMV's core business - the same product cheaper, delivered to your door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

I had a physical media once.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just FYI~ Going into administration doesn't mean that the stores are shutting up shop. Half of my twitter/facebook book is people going nuts about all the stores closing!

Yes but realistically who wants to buy a media retail store? Its just a matter of time before the large retailers go bust. Sadly they have no long term future.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

From Sky News:

"HMV is run by Trevor Moore, who recently took over having held the chief executive's post at Jessops"

Jesus, it'll be a brave company that takes him on next. :)

Hate seeing stores like this close. Even the jobs aside, I much prefer actual shopping, being able to hold a product and take it home there and then.

Everyone loves going on about how shops are too expensive and its better to buy online but I bet no one will be happy when it's their job being farm out to Asia or eastern Europe where theres a cheaper workforce. I could happed to anyone in pretty much any industry (with the obvious exceptions).......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I bet no one will be happy when it's their job being farm out to Asia or eastern Europe where theres a cheaper workforce. I could happed to anyone in pretty much any industry (with the obvious exceptions).......
    Pint please bartender :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Hooray \0/ Starbucks is coming to Grafton Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I think its kind of sad when this happens another big name store potentially closing but can't remember last time i bought something from it apart from an itunes card!

In this case it was probably inevitable - they knew about downloading and the big digital boom but never found a way to cash in on it and i have no idea what they could have done to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Pint please bartender :D

How many threads are there on boards about pubs closing, pubs being too expensive etc?

The more shops and businesses that close, the less people there are to spend money with the companies everyone else works for..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Dunno why people constantly go on about the price of DVDS there, there is always a huge amount under €6, and the 5 for €35 deal on Blu Rays is brilliant value

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think if they just turned HMV into a poster-selling and chocolate and sweet place, it would be much better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I still buy blu-rays fairly regularly in HMV. Often have some good deals in them. Haven't bought any CD's in donkey's years though. Still one of the few High St stores I would go for a browse in.

Ordering from Amazon is grand but half the time there is nobody at home when the post arrives so you have to traipse all the way to the mail centre to collect it. Kinda defeats the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭zega

Dunno why people constantly go on about the price of DVDS there, there is always a huge amount under €6, and the 5 for €35 deal on Blu Rays is brilliant value

My main beef with high street stores like that was their old prices.I remember about ten years ago an album was always like £18-£20.Robbing ****s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Great value for money :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

How many threads are there on boards about pubs closing, pubs being too expensive etc?

The more shops and businesses that close, the less people there are to spend money with the companies everyone else works for..........

But there not closing because the pub owner is moving his company abroad to Asia because he's getting cheaper workforce is it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I must have bought more CDs in the past 2 years than in the 10 years before that. Mainly due to second-hand CDs being sold off for next to nothing. Why pay €8 or €9 for an album on iTunes when you can stumble across second-hand CDs for only a few euro, if you know where to look of course.

Another one of HMV's mistakes was not jumping on the vinyl bandwagon. Granted some of their stores have tiny selection but they've really failed to capitalise on the medium's upsurge in popularity in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Be a big loss if they were to go. They're by far the best place to buy videogames in this country and with Game already gone, their administration would leave the awful Gamestop with a virtual monopoly here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement