Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV going into administration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Zavvi is gone? Bought a game or two from them early last year I think. One game got lost in the post but they sent it again and it came. Their postage was very cheap, only a euro or so.
    Their retail stores, not their online operation (now managed by The Hut Group).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zavvi is gone? Bought a game or two from them early last year I think. One game got lost in the post but they sent it again and it came. Their postage was very cheap, only a euro or so.

Seeing your username makes me fond of buying Lightbulb Sun in a hmv shop. And I was gonna put it on tonight. Just an aside to me being saddened by all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ordering from Amazon is grand but half the time there is nobody at home when the post arrives so you have to traipse all the way to the mail centre to collect it. Kinda defeats the purpose.

We have this great device called a letterbox that allows us to circumvent this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Source?

here you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

very surprised by this after what the wife spent there before xmas

• Advertisement

How on earth can you be allowed refuse a valid voucher?
    it is a claim on the assets of the company - like debt owed to the bank, like money owed to suppliers. The administrators will freeze the liabilities including vouchers if they don't think this will be a quick administration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Mushy wrote: »

Seeing your username makes me fond of buying Lightbulb Sun in a hmv shop. And I was gonna put it on tonight. Just an aside to me being saddened by all this.
    Yep, this news makes me Feel So Low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I feel so sorry for the staff if the not accepting vouchers talk is true. Not only are they possibly looking at losing their job, they're also going to get it in the neck from customers for something that isn't their fault.

Really sad news, I always thought they were great value.

no surprise along with gamestop hmv are so expensive tho i shop with amazon alot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Dunno why people constantly go on about the price of DVDS there, there is always a huge amount under €6, and the 5 for €35 deal on Blu Rays is brilliant value

Exactly. I bought a few things on Amazon over Christmas that I found were cheaper in HMV when I checked. Had been planning on taking up that Blu Ray offer but I wonder will there be any left when I go in tomorrow.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Absolutezero

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Skid wrote: »
    It is bad news for High Street Retailers in general.

Could it be a stay of execution for Tower in Dublin though. As someone mentioned, shops with a bigger 'nerd' factor might have a better chance of survival going forward...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I've been waiting with sad expectation at this for some time. The world is changing and moving from solid to digital state media. The bread and butter of HMV is CD's and DVD's which take up the most shop floor space. Most people cannot justify the cost anymore as most can be accessed on line to purchase or download or at a local market. The product is light and cheap to post and if your an ipod generation you dont need any solid media. It even keeps a full back up in case you lose your collection down the toilet.

It's not like HMV didn't see the change coming, itunes has been carving up the market for years along with other big players and they have watched Virgin and zavvi both suffer quick deaths. The writing was on the wall for a business that has essentially the same business model as the two companies that have gone before it.

I will miss holding the box and browsing but dont forget that people missed steam engines or horses and carts or sharing a room with ten other people in the good old days. This is change as much as our parents had to get used to the idea that music wasn't just something you huddled around a radio to listen to but could actually go out and buy on vinyl or tape or CD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

They might have done well if they went a little more towards the Forbidden Planet route.

Comics, heros, "nerdiness" is trending big right now and they could have brought in more graphic novels/manga to their stores, as well as merchandise from the various comics.

Sad state if affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Shíte,have a €50 gift card that I got for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

efb wrote: »
    because you're a creditor. And the administrators see how they can pay their creditors.

I get the concept of this but if somebody with a better legal mind than us was bothered they could probably argue that the voucher itself is a purchase in itself and does not represent real money. It'd be like buying a game that doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    They might have done well if they went a little more towards the Forbidden Planet route.

Comics, heros, "nerdiness" is trending big right now and they could have brought in more graphic novels/manga to their stores, as well as merchandise from the various comics.

Sad state if affairs.

That approach doesn't tend to work in chain stores.

Forbidden Planet and Tower Records work because the staff are incredibly clued in to the products they sell and that's why people continue to shop there and happily pay a premium for the service.

It's hard to attract that product knowledge when you're paying minimum wage and giving out short term contracts.

Not saying all HMV staff haven't a clue, but most don't have an in depth knowledge or passion for the stock they sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Could it be a stay of execution for Tower in Dublin though. As someone mentioned, shops with a bigger 'nerd' factor might have a better chance of survival going forward...
    Hopefully so. Tower have so much more to offer than HMV with a nice selection of books, t-shirts, gifts, audio equipment, vinyl and a huge range of CDs. I could spend ages browsing around the store on Wicklow St. and also the atmosphere of the place is more unique compared the rather sterile vibe of HMV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

YES!!! Me and my cousin have been waiting for this for years once whispers of HMV's decline started.

Can't wait to raid the clear out sales! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

How on earth can you be allowed refuse a valid voucher?

Because everyone with a debt gets into line. Suppliers etc. are first. People with vouchers are last. They have the right not to accept them, especially at a time when they need all the capital they can get. Vouchers are the property of the store at all times. They need to stick up huge signs saying no vouchers/refunds, and also say that anyone abusing staff will be brought outside immediately. I feel bad for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I rarely buy media digitally.
    I like having physical copies.

That approach doesn't tend to work in chain stores.

Forbidden Planet and Tower Records work because the staff are incredibly clued in to the products they sell and that's why people continue to shop there and happily pay a premium for the service.

It's hard to attract that product knowledge when you're paying minimum wage and giving out short term contracts.

Not saying all HMV staff haven't a clue, but most don't have an in depth knowledge or passion for the stock they sell.

Fair point there.

Though still think the store could have re-structured itself a bit and bring in more graphic novels, etc. I mean they had to have seen it coming what with previous stores being sunk.

Am bitterly disappointed, though wouldn't mind a Forbidden Planet taking its place here :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Where will I browse for what I want to get online?

Fair point there.

Though still think the store could have re-structured itself a bit and bring in more graphic novels, etc. I mean they had to have seen it coming what with previous stores being sunk.

Am bitterly disappointed, though wouldn't mind a Forbidden Planet taking its place here :D
    Is the Forbidden Planet on Crampton Quay not enough? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Shíte,have a €50 gift card that I got for Christmas.

they arent closing, just under an administrator

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Is the Forbidden Planet on Crampton Quay not enough? :D

I'm in the North West dearie, us culchies don't get the special stores like over there in the big schmoke ;)

I'm in the North West dearie, us culchies don't get the special stores like over there in the big schmoke ;)
    I'm sorry to hear that :) The problem with niche stores in smaller urban centres is that they don't have a big enough market to have a good chance of survival. A comic book store set up in Athlone only lasted a few months before closing because the market for it compared to Dublin was significantly smaller. Selling CDs and such is going to become a niche market very soon so I wouldn't be surprised to only find record stores in cities like Dublin or Cork in 10 years time or so.

Oh I know in reality it would struggle to survive, but I do like to dream :)

Never knew about that in Athlone. I suppose there is too much competition from Amazon/ebay etc to justify having the more specialty focused shops in smaller towns/cities.

Sad to see, I do miss Dublin for that aspect of diversity when shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If you don't evolve, you die. It's natural. Instead of bitching, laying blame and making excuses these chains should change their business model.

Besides, it's hard to feel sorry for any store who sold music during the 90's. The entire industry, including retail stores, fleeced everyone and made a killing. I feel sorry for some of the staff but if we've learned anything over the last few years is that business need to be allowed to sink or swim on their own and not be propped up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAm6EHECAAEYzV4.jpg

The company was valued at almost a billion when it floated... what a downfall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement