Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TODAY FM.....

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

TodayFM dating I presume is aimed at slightly older people who maybe are a bit beyond their tinder years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Synode wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder why TodayFM have branched out into weekends away and a dating service. Do they not make enough money from the station itself?

I would imagine its a case of having a huge captive audience and trying to monetise them. A "hotel breaks" company will approach them and let Today FM use their database/booking engine and todayfm get a cut of the bookings. The hotel company get access to the audience and Today FM get a percentage of the bookings without any real effort. Irish Rail, Heatons, Lidl (prob many more) have some sort of "breaks" website too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Today Fm lose another PD, Colm OSullivan to return to Cork a year after taking over from Martin Maguire, who took over from Liam Thompson, who took over from Tom Hardy, four PDs in 7 years can't be good for consistency and must surely underpin the stations decline in figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

heybaby wrote: »
    Today Fm lose another PD, Colm OSullivan to return to Cork a year after taking over from Martin Maguire, who took over from Liam Thompson, who took over from Tom Hardy, four PDs in 7 years can't be good for consistency and must surely underpin the stations decline in figures?

Colm going back to Red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

heybaby wrote: »

To be fair he was always only going to Today FM for a short time. All parties knew that from the get go. The commuting cannot have been easy.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    To be fair he was always only going to Today FM for a short time. All parties knew that from the get go. The commuting cannot have been easy.

Wasn't aware he was commuting to and from Cork, wasn't that also the case with KC? With figures falling surely it would make sense to get an experienced successful PD with a proven track record and get him / her to move to Dublin and commit to Today Fm for several years. The revolving management door doesn't seem to be working.

Oh god Baula Mcsweeney in for Dermot and Dave this week. First thing she does is make a balls of the news handover and leaves us with dead air for 30 seconds before U2 Beautiful Day kicks in! Great start Baula

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Oh god Baula Mcsweeney in for Dermot and Dave this week. First thing she does is make a balls of the news handover and leaves us with dead air for 30 seconds before U2 Beautiful Day kicks in! Great start Baula

She's got bags of personality no doubt but zero on air discipline. While Today Fm is not a tightly formatted station in the mold of FM104 links especially when broadcasting solo must have a beginning, a middle and end. Having listened to Paula I'd guess she's not been airchecked very often, mind you I'd apply that to Alison Curtis, D'Arcy and a few others, I say that because literally every single time presenters do a link they give the text number multiple times and what's the obsession with asking listeners what they're doing for the afternoon or evening, who cares? It simply leads to a succession of texts from people driving from A to B being read out, it's lazy radio and does not equate to content, it's a crutch folks. If you've nothing worth saying, say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭JoeA3

#twitter #AlisonEJCurtis :mad:

Instant channel changer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was driving sat morning tuned into Today FM turned on Curtis and no word of a lie first words from her mouth was little people. I changed immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

She is just dreadful-how on earth is that girl on a national radio station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 justchillingme

They should really hire someone who lasted 2 days on a regional breakfast show instead. ;)

johnire wrote: »
    She is just dreadful-how on earth is that girl on a national radio station?

Ah it's ok she explained that she was in a different studio so the faders were all opposite to what she was used to. FFS what she should say is she didn't bother her hole to pfl each fader to ensure she knew what was for what

They should really hire someone who lasted 2 days on a regional breakfast show instead. ;)

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

What would Today fm do if dermot and dave left for 2FM ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

reg114 wrote: »
    What would Today fm do if dermot and dave left for 2FM ?

Probably rejoice that they don't have to release a press release in another year or so saying D&D have "left to pursue other opportunities" I'd imagine... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Only really ever listen to The Last Word on Today FM but Matt Cooper was already driving me crazy with his pronunciation of "theater" (Thee-ay-turr), now he's added his own version of "quango" (quONgo).

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Only really ever listen to The Last Word on Today FM but Matt Cooper was already driving me crazy with his pronunciation of "theater" (Thee-ay-turr), now he's added his own version of "quango" (quONgo).

And the Garjun newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

And the Garjun newspaper.

On Sahrday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deekster

TuneIn stream of TodayFM is constantly being interrupted by an ad for some toilet roll product (voiced by deirdre o'kane)
    I really wish they wouldn't do this. We already hear their regular ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is that on purpose? I noticed it yesterday but thought it was just the stream skipping as it happened mid conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

I think Paula McSweeney is excellent on her morning programme. Dermot and dave make me switch station immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

In fairness to Paula-words I never thought I'd say she did play the Rolling Stones today..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Paula is still painful, hear her voice, today fm is gone till Coopers on....Does she still ramble on about her fella like on snapchat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Ah Paulas not the worst. I'd much rather listen to her than Fergal "d'ye remember Glenroe" D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

I also find Paula awful...Lately I've begun to wonder are they getting them from the Today FM school of radio (or whatever it is called)
    There seems to be a batch of useless presenters all doing the same thing and thinking they are great. So perhaps they are being taught that...
    Recently I heard the beloved Paula playing a cover, without realising it was a cover and praising the band doing the cover for being so brilliant and original..it seems that the new batch don't have a love and broad knowledge of music which was evident in some of the older presenters, which leads me to believe even more that they are being taught radio by numbers..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Kelly Anne Byrne''s - The Beat Goes On show on Saturday and Sunday nights are second to none. She's by far my favourite DJ on the radio. Her tunes are varied and her presenting style shows off her knowledge and love of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

deekster wrote: »
    TuneIn stream of TodayFM is constantly being interrupted by an ad for some toilet roll product (voiced by deirdre o'kane)
    I really wish they wouldn't do this. We already hear their regular ads.

this is driving me nuts.

anyway, sweetpea just played Billy Joel. what a cracker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Testament1 wrote: »
    Ah Paulas not the worst.

Actually I take this back. Talking over the end of Motorhead was sacrilege!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement