Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow risk Tuesday night in to Wednesday in the midlands and possibly the east

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AloKildare

This ship has sailed!! Time to close the thread?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

AloKildare wrote: »

Eh no it hasn't, met eireann are predicting snow accumulation potential in the east tuesday night and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Snowmaker

It's only Monday... there's still hope, no 'game over' until we get to Tuesday night and only if nothing comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

To be fair it hasn't sailed just yet.

Met Eireann for tomorrow in their update have a risk of snow:

14 January 2013 16:18

Today Scattered rain and hail showers will become confined to Northern and Western coastal areas tonight and will largely die out later. It will become clear in many places with frost setting in quickly as the wind eases down and becoming sharp to severe overnight with icy stretches on untreated roads. Some mist and fog patches also.
    Cold, with lowest temperatures 0 to -3 degrees Celsius.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

A cold and frosty start tomorrow. The morning will be mostly dry and bright, with sunny spells after early mist and fog clears. However cloud and rain will push into much of Munster and west Connacht in the late-morning or afternoon, extending a little further east in the evening but most of Leinster and Ulster will stay dry. Cold, with highest temperatures 4 to 7 degrees Celsius generally, but 8 or 9 degrees in the southwest.

Outlook

TUESDAY NIGHT: Cold, with frosty icy conditions for a time in the north and northeast. Further wintry outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow moving in across the country; snow mainly falling over higher ground, but some falls possible on lower levels too. Lowest temperatures -2 to +2 degrees Celsius, with light to moderate easterly winds.

WEDNESDAY: Still cold. Rather cloudy too, with scattered outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow; some accumulations possible on lower levels. Highest temperatures just 3 to 5 degrees Celsius generally, but more like 6 to 8 degrees over south Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Don't have much confidence in snow accumulation charts but should try and post charts for the proper time.

Don't know how I missed that one. I should sleep instead of reading this thread.

• Advertisement

Outlook

TUESDAY NIGHT: Cold, with frosty icy conditions for a time in the north and northeast. Further wintry outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow moving in across the country; snow mainly falling over higher ground, but some falls possible on lower levels too. Lowest temperatures -2 to +2 degrees Celsius, with light to moderate easterly winds.

WEDNESDAY: Still cold. Rather cloudy too, with scattered outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow; some accumulations possible on lower levels. Highest temperatures just 3 to 5 degrees Celsius generally, but more like 6 to 8 degrees over south Munster.

That outlook was updated during the night, going by the models today I would bet that their tv weather forecast this evening won't even mention snow!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Also can people refrain from comments such as, "this ship has sailed" "no chance of snow" etc

As the Dude says............"that is just like your opinion man"

With the models changing as much as they are, there are clearly no certainties at this point

Also can people refrain from comments such as, "this ship has sailed" "no chance of snow" etc

As the Dude says............"that is just like your opinion man"

With the models changing as much as they are, there are clearly no certainties at this point

Okay my apologies, I just thought this is a place for sharing my opinions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That outlook was updated during the night, going by the models today I would bet that their tv weather forecast this evening won't even mention snow!! :)

Don't bother with TV forecast after the 6pm news, wait for forecast after the 9pm news.

ME forecast is based on ECM (pretty much only) and lastest run of that will be complete by around 6.30pm (to late for the early forecast after the 6pm news).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

DOCARCH wrote: »

Don't bother with TV forecast after the 6pm news, wait for forecast after the 9pm news.

ME forecast is based on ECM (pretty much only) and lastest run of that will be complete by around 6.30pm (to late for the early forecast after the 6pm news).

That's true as Evyln said after the 6 news yesterday evening "join me after the 9 oc news for a more detailed forecast"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

BBC have an interesting setup by next weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/21015105

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ok this was updated at 16 00:

Leinster
    14 January 2013- updated at 16:00 Today

Scattered showers of rain or hail this evening and some sleet. Winds will be light northwest but occasionally moderate at first.

Tonight

Mostly dry tonightt. Frost will occur with min temperatures from -2 to +2 degrees. Some fog and light northwest winds.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will have a frosty start. Dry for the day, but rain will spread slowly from the west in the night turning to sleet and possibly snow later. Max temperatures 5 to 7 degrees, with mainly light winds.

Leinster

Scattered showers of rain or hail this evening and some sleet. Winds will be light northwest but occasionally moderate at first.

Tonight

Mostly dry tonightt. Frost will occur with min temperatures from -2 to +2 degrees. Some fog and light northwest winds.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will have a frosty start. Dry for the day, but rain will spread slowly from the west in the night turning to sleet and possibly snow later. Max temperatures 5 to 7 degrees, with mainly light winds.

Sorry I didn't see the regional forecast, that sounds good! :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Leinster

Tonight

Tomorrow

Out of date I'd suggest, even if it was updated at 1600.

.....having said that, ECM seems to want to hold on to colder air on the east coast and to the north east.....so.....maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ah Evelyn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's likely to be a nowcasting situation, the set-up is quite marginal but we're dealing with precip overnight as the atmosphere cools slightly at upper levels and with the frontal boundary retreating slowly back to the west as a wave moves south (SSE if you want precision) ... this could be as close as having a snow report from Min and a rain report from Danno. Think it will play out as some melting wet snow near the end of a sleety rain event for some in central counties. Not much chance of low-elevation snow from the current guidance but you would only need a slight change in that to get snow, hence the uncertainty. Friday is now looking somewhat better for snow potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

pauldry wrote: »
    Ah Evelyn

Isn't she just SO nice ...:). She'd make even a major disaster seem bearable with that end-smile - lovely lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

pauldry wrote: »
    Ah Evelyn

Jesus.

Should've gone to Specsavers.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

dermiek wrote: »
    Jesus.

Should've gone to Specsavers.

:D

How dare you ........... HOW DARE YOU :D:D

you ,you, philistine you

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Eden3 wrote: »
    Isn't she just SO nice ...:). She'd make even a major disaster seem bearable with that end-smile
    (:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:) - lovely lady!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Much deafening silence here this morning.

Can we call this thread as the bust it was always going to be and give it a decent burial? I think we're well covered with Ramping, +120 and FI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

We have -5 uppers over us tonight....

13011600_1506.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

True but DP doesn't favour us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

True but DP doesn't favour us.

True, just a liiiittle bit lower please !

13011600_1506.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

t|nt|n wrote: »
    We have -5 uppers over us tonight....

If those, combined with the other influences today, gives any more than an unremarkable dusting above 250m I'll eat my woolly hat

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well the Precipitation may not make it to the colder areas and if does sleet is probably the best result you can hope for at lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

I think the -5 uppers are over us (East) on that chart because it now looks like the precip might not even make it as far as the East!

Could be a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

pad199207 wrote: »
    Could be a good thing!

Well it would stop disputes over which county had the most or best snow. And it'd stop those peskie storm chasers from invading the effected counties causing snow drifts from their M&S BF=Goodrich and 3.7lt SUVs travelling at breakneck speeds up and down every dale and lane in the snow blessed regions.

I guess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I note there still is a small chance of some sleet or snow in the east and north overnight and tomorrow for a time,

Still worth a temp watch IMO, so I have opened the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Currently 1.9c with a Dp of 1.0c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement