Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow risk Tuesday night in to Wednesday in the midlands and possibly the east

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

People talking here as if it will be a huge shock if it snows. Its not like it hasn't snowed in Ireland in recent times. Snowed this morning for example (though very briefly and very little but still did despite not being forecast). It was freezing and snowed several times in January 2010. It snowed almost non stop from end November to end December 2010. Temperatures fell around the country to -17 if i remember correctly around Carlow. I know this was very unusual but it still happened for weeks in a row.

It really wouldn't be that huge a surprise if it snowed this week, Irish winters seem to have become much colder in recent years. I don't know why people seem to think that a snow event would be so extraordinary in Ireland since it has happened in two of the last three winters. Also why must people continue to exaggerate about the snow that falls in the UK compared to Ireland. Constant mentions of us missing out and UK getting buried again. It does not snow in the UK often, just like it doesn't snow that often here. Yes Scotland sees a lot more than us but London for example sees very similar amounts to Dublin. Winter temperatures in London are also nearly always identical to those of Dublin.

Hopefully we will all see a bit of the white stuff but i for one would hardly be shocked if it did happen.

No one here doubts the possibility of snow actually occurring in our climate, the doubts are as to whether it can occur in the next few days based on current model output.

The UK does tend to get more snow in the current type of setup though obviously not in all setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

omicron wrote: »
    No one here doubts the possibility of snow actually occurring in our climate, the doubts are as to whether it can occur in the next few days based on current model output.

The UK does tend to get more snow in the current type of setup though obviously not in all setups.

I agree but think its frontal boundary snow that is the rare occurence especially the further south and west you go, i think i remember it happening twice that i can remember, once at night and once during the day.
    Snow in 2009 & 2010 came from the North and East and was not overly heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

omicron wrote: »
    Left twice before but winter charts keep bringing me back! :P

Snow is pretty likely over the next few days in eastern England, if you want regular updates, M.T. does a British forecasts section in his thread at the top of the forum, updated every morning.

Which one though? The girls name that's actually a town somewhere foreign or the irish revolutionary? :pac: Or somebody totally different...

Ill try to head up the mountains on Wednesday, ill bring back pictures for ya all. :D T'is not the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

People talking here as if it will be a huge shock if it snows. Its not like it hasn't snowed in Ireland in recent times. Snowed this morning for example (though very briefly and very little but still did despite not being forecast). It was freezing and snowed several times in January 2010. It snowed almost non stop from end November to end December 2010. Temperatures fell around the country to -17 if i remember correctly around Carlow. I know this was very unusual but it still happened for weeks in a row.

It really wouldn't be that huge a surprise if it snowed this week, Irish winters seem to have become much colder in recent years. I don't know why people seem to think that a snow event would be so extraordinary in Ireland since it has happened in two of the last three winters. Also why must people continue to exaggerate about the snow that falls in the UK compared to Ireland. Constant mentions of us missing out and UK getting buried again. It does not snow in the UK often, just like it doesn't snow that often here. Yes Scotland sees a lot more than us but London for example sees very similar amounts to Dublin. Winter temperatures in London are also nearly always identical to those of Dublin.

Hopefully we will all see a bit of the white stuff but i for one would hardly be shocked if it did happen.

Decent point. Particularly in relation to London, which over the past few years has actually seen quite little snow.

During the 'big freeze' of December 2010 there was a phenomenal amount of snow in Ireland on several days leading up to Christmas (as we can all well remember). I think during that cold snap it snowed just once in London. I remember because a good friend came back over from London for Xmas and couldn't get over how much snow there was in Dublin.

Anyway, we wait in hope for the snow here. Though it's amazing how quickly and easily Arctic and Siberian air can push Westwards into Europe sometimes and yet struggles so much to push the final 75 miles or so into Ireland.

God damn the Atlantic...

Villain wrote: »
    You know well there were many reasons why these so called best contributors left, one being they have other places to post.

Why you and others get so worked up about someone's forecast is beyond me especially in this scenario where there is huge uncertainty.

I'm not getting worked up over the forecast. I'm getting 'worked up' about the dogged resistance to a differing opinion to the forecast.

• Advertisement

For snowlovers everywhere!

http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/simon-beck-snow-art
    Artist Simon Beck must really love the cold weather! Along the frozen lakes of Savoie, France, he spends days plodding through the snow in raquettes (snowshoes), creating these sensational patterns of snow art. Working for 5-9 hours a day, each final piece is typically the size of three soccer fields! The geometric forms range in mathematical patterns and shapes that create stunning, sometimes 3D, designs when viewed from higher levels.

How long these magnificent geometric forms survive is completely dependent on the we

compsys wrote: »
    Anyway, we wait in hope for the snow here. Though it's amazing how quickly and easily Arctic and Siberian air can push Westwards into Europe sometimes and yet struggles so much to push the final 75 miles or so into Ireland.

God damn the Atlantic...
    Yea, very frustrating. I think we have been incredibly unlucky this winter. Many time the building blocks have been there, only to be brought crumbling down by a pesky shortwave. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Any comments on my forecast ? I'm waiting on the next model release coming from Ames, Iowa @ 9pm CST

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

drquirky wrote: »
    Any comments on my forecast ? I'm waiting on the next model release coming from Ames, Iowa @ 9pm CST

Comments are apparently discouraged these days, but without charts it's hard to judge it! Wednesday does seem to be the well on the wrong side of marginal at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

What a crazy and stupid comment based on nothing.

What a terrible post for a mod to make.

Way to encourage people to post on your forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

What a terrible post for a mod to make.

Way to encourage people to post on your forum.

In fairness to Weathercheck, it really was a silly post - it was a gross generalisation and it's not the first time Gonzo has used the terms "game over" in one of his posts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

I think the constant chopping and changing of the models for the past few weeks has made people a little jumpy.
    We're all here because we enjoy watching the weather. It is supposed to be fun, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

What the hell is going on in this thead? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

This forum seems to have the highest d bag to normal person ratio on boards, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I thought netweather was bad:rolleyes:

Its slowly turning into a protest thread to bring back owenc. Release the Coleraine one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

rc28 wrote: »
    In fairness to Weathercheck, it really was a silly post - it was a gross generalisation and it's not the first time Gonzo has used the terms "game over" in one of his posts. :)

Maybe so, but there are ways of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

This forum seems to have the highest d bag to normal person ratio on boards, no?

Spend an hour or two in AH, you'll come back here and think its a hippy commune in comparison!

Yes, and we're proud of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rc28 wrote: »

I said increasingly looking like Game Over, not that it's definitely game over. Of course I hope im wrong, but confidence of decent snow is not great right now, hopefully that will change in next 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Take it to the personal issues forum guys

It's on a knife edge. But i don't think we will win out. Based only on my own opinion

The GFS sees the battle ground over UK, not Eire

13011506_1318.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Don't have much confidence in snow accumulation charts but should try and post charts for the proper time.

13011606_1318.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Nabber wrote: »
    Take it to the personal issues forum guys

It's on a knife edge. But i don't think we will win out. Based only on my own opinion

The GFS sees the battle ground over UK, not Eire

13011506_1318.gif

wouldnt it just make ya sick if it plays out like that again.. jus like last year parts of england got plastered and as usual we got nothing !! :mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I'm getting dizzy flicking between the threads. Probably dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Let's get back into an nice 90's vibe:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

OP could well be right, about tuesday night some where should get a nice covering I wouldn't be slating him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

chance getting better all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z NAE only goes out to 8pm Tuesday, but it doesn't look great for snow potential on this model.

13011518_1318.gif

Dew points rising above zero as the precipitation moves into the west.

13011518_1318.gif

850 temps rising as precipitation moves in.

13011518_1318.gif

Just one run of one model and things are changing on every run, but looking more like rain/sleet as it stands there.

Met Eireann have highlighted the risk though, and they have better hi-res models than what we can see. :shrug:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Just in from out back. Not raining. Not sleeting. More like heavy rain if that makes sense. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

After an entire week of 'will it snow, won't it snow?' I think that everyone's patience is just worn a bit thin.

After the SSW and the cold spreading as far West as England, it would just be sickening if we got to see no snow.

But although things are looking marginal at the moment, the cold just refuses to go away and let the Atlantic dominate as one might have expected by now.

It could still happen!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement