Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow risk Tuesday night in to Wednesday in the midlands and possibly the east

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Saganist wrote: »
    Just in from out back. Not raining. Not sleeting. More like heavy rain if that makes sense. :confused:

Not raining, not sleeting, but heavy rain?

That's rain dude. It's raining. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Not raining, not sleeting, but heavy rain?

That's rain dude. It's raining. :D
    That would explain how I got wet lol. What I meant was that it felt like sleet as it reached ground level..

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Raining here no sleet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭snowgal

What's wrong with everyone? Does nobody have any faith
    left., it'll happen people, something is coming. Bit of snow on Tuesday then wait and see after that, believe people believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Rain in D7 :(
    I need some heavy snow this week so my exams get cancelled...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

Just some more information on tomorrow. It will almost certainly start as rain tomorrow evening for most in to night time hours and then become an increasing mix with sleet and snow particularly on higher ground. By the early hours of Wednesday the east coast could see snow to low levels as temperatures fall back to freezing or a little above. GFS high resolution progging this consistently now probably including some evaporative cooling as well. Currently day time temperatures Wednesday look like reaching no higher than 1 or 2c in the east (milder in the west - maybe up to 4 or 5c) with outbreaks of sleet and snow this backing in to the midlands as the day wares on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just some more information on tomorrow. It will almost certainly start as rain tomorrow evening for most in to night time hours and then become an increasing mix with sleet and snow particularly on higher ground. By the early hours of Wednesday the east coast could see snow to low levels as temperatures fall back to freezing or a little above. GFS high resolution progging this consistently now probably including some evaporative cooling as well. Currently day time temperatures Wednesday look like reaching no higher than 1 or 2c in the east (milder in the west - maybe up to 4 or 5c) with outbreaks of sleet and snow this backing in to the midlands as the day wares on.

....essentially, any 'event' this week will be basically a 'nowcast' situation....the nail biting begins! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

GFS has 850hpa temps above zero for more than half the country for wednesday morning. We need -6 or lower for widespread lower level snow in this set up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

06z GFS rolling out now and looks good....for nothing (Tuesday/Wednesday)!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

whitebriar wrote: »
    I never gave an opinion on tuesday or wenesday,I actually thought I'd added a question mark to my last post.
    I do think somethings up though and there is potential for some areas to see potentially a lot of snow this week whilst others have rain.

The likes of this thread is meant to be a bit of fun as much as anything.
    The antagonisers posting should really get a life or just relax,there's no need to be aiming fire at the op,making an effort at his hobby :mad:

cue roll eye smiley's and more antagonism now I s'pose,quit it folks,no ones listening to that only yourselves,the rest of us are here to enjoy the ride :)
    Life and death isn't happening because there's a few threads in the weather forum.

Well said!! I totally agree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

MT's forecast seem's to agree with Oarrack Bama ,every body can't be worng...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z NAE out to 6am Wednesday shows it as all rain. Dew points above freezing as the precipitation crosses the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

So I presume it is snow for tuesday night/ Wednesday and more unpredictable after that? Come on the sneachta

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 142 ✭✭Oarrack Bama

06Z NAE out to 6am Wednesday shows it as all rain. Dew points above freezing as the precipitation crosses the country.

This is not correct

Dew point

13011606_1406.gif

Temperature @ 850hpa

13011606_1406.gif

Is there a bit of IMBYISM going on here I wonder? The forecast hasn't changed at all. And i'd be wary of changing it on a 6z op run where the cold air is kept 50 miles further east than other model or previous GFS run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This is not correct

Dew point

13011606_1406.gif

Temperature @ 850hpa

13011606_1406.gif

Is there a bit of IMBYISM going on here I wonder? The forecast hasn't changed at all. And i'd be wary of changing it on a 6z op run where the cold air is kept 50 miles further east than other model or previous GFS run.

Looks an East Coast/North East event from those charts. Talking IMBY can't see anything for down here unless a major shift west. Is the GFS showing anything in the longer term pattern of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

This is not correct

Dew point

13011606_1406.gif

Hang on a minute. I said the dew point rises as the precipitation crosses the country.

13011606_1406.gif

The only places that still have dew points below zero on the chart you posted are the places where the precipitation hasn't rearched yet.

The only places that still have dew points below zero on the chart you posted are the places where the precipitation hasn't rearched yet.

'Wrong side of marginal'. :pac: I can foresee that phrase popping up a few times this week! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea the GFS isn't the best with the cold incursion but as highlighted UKM has more cold embedded.

In reality, i feel the precip will struggle to make it to the east coast from Tuesday evenings incursion.

The real threat is more likely on Thursday into Friday.

However still chance for tomorrow evenings event to give the east a coating of snow but i would not expect precip amounts in the east to amount to much.

Hopefully a hard frost tonight to get things cooled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Ah yes I love these threads. Rounds of tea and toast late at night while checking the street lamps every so often. Bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I don't see any snow falling below 200metres on current guidance. Sleet at best on lower levels. The weekend could be alot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DOCARCH wrote: »
    'Wrong side of marginal'. :pac: I can foresee that phrase popping up a few times this week! :p

Same goes for my favourite , 'And as the rain meets the colder air'......., spoken by Evelyn of course!

Larbre34 wrote: »
    'And as the rain meets the colder air'.......

....the colder air gets pushed away into the Irish Sea and it carries on raining....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Here's the HIRLAM. It says, wherever the precipitation is, the 850hpa temp will be above 0c.
    http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,420

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ....the colder air gets pushed away into the Irish Sea and it carries on raining....:pac:

Lol. Yes, unfortunately I can see things developing like that many times over the course of the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Why people are so excited about snowing? It's a fecking pain :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Barna77 wrote: »
    Why people are so excited about snowing?

This might be the reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The last significant frontal snow I can recall here was in Feb 07. It was strange. It was sleety wet snow in Galway City but a few miles inland it became a full white out. Remember driving home up the N17 and it was amazing how it literally turned from sleety rain to snow near Claregalway. I had to turn around again just to mark the point!! :D. By the time I got back home it had become near blizzard like. Very disorientating to drive through I have to say. When I got back into Galway the next morning, not even a hint of lying snow there. Amazing difference over a relatively small area. :)

236280.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Night of 3rd March 2009 is last time I can remember any frontal snow here. Got a good wee dumping, but it didn't last too long, just the day as there wasn't enough cold around to maintain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    Night of 3rd March 2009 is last time I can remember any frontal snow here. Got a good wee dumping, but it didn't last too long, just the day as there wasn't enough cold around to maintain it.

Interesting set up that night, a frontal boundary locked within a polar air mass right over south Donegal.

236291.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Looking at the latest models Ireland aren't going to see anything of significance . The UK on the other hand are in the perfect and enviable position. They are going to get hit with loads of snow . WE were just on the wrong side of marginal by maybe 300 miles :( It would have made all the difference

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement