Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jurassic World (may contain spoilers!)

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did you say that JP is out in cinemas again this year Galvasean? They must be 3Difying it or something since they're releasing it so soon again?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yep, converted to 3D. Will be shown in IMAX too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

dorkacle wrote: »
    I enjoyed all the movies, the first will always hold special memories for me though!

Was brought to see it for my birthday an was blown away! :)
    Used to collect dinosaur magazines an all at the time! Every issue you got the part of a T -Rex skeleton!
    I remember I collected every single part, no idea where it is now though :(:(

If they just started from scratch for JP4 or even ignored 2 and 3 I'd say there is potential for something quality.
    There is too much (rubbishy) back story that it could get hung up on if they continue on from JP 2 and 3 i reckon!

Glow in the dark one wasn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Glow in the dark one wasn't?

Yup!

I remember too, where my dad used to work (steel fabrication) one of his colleagues had scanned every piece and put it into a CC machine, had the full model in stainless steel sitting on his desk!

Coolest looking 'paperweight' EVER!

My dad used to by the magazine for me at a newsagents near his job so he'd scan them then, unbeknownst to me at the time. I'd love one now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I actually still have all 78 of those magazines in my wardrobe. In awful condition, since i was about 7 or 8 when they came out, but still readable. The skeletons are long gone. There was a T-Rex and Stegasaurus and they were flimsy as hell!

On the subject of the new movie, honestly cannot wait for it. Hoping for as much Dinosaur-action as possible. I felt 3's big let down was it spent too much time focusing on human relationships. Felt like more of a lame soap opera among the kirby's

I also feel this movie needs to go back to Site A. Site B I feel has been a bit overused and I believe there could be some potential going back to Site A seeing how the environment and all the landmarks from the first movie have developed over the 20 years since nature took over. Nedry's shaving can also could be tied up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

On the subject of the new movie, honestly cannot wait for it. Hoping for as much Dinosaur-action as possible. I felt 3's big let down was it spent too much time focusing on human relationships. Felt like more of a lame soap opera among the kirby's

Funnily enough, some people complained that the first movie had shallow character development and some said that dinosaurs were better actors than the humans... (of course, I doubt anyone cared much about them anyways... what everyone wanted back then was to see the dinosaurs!)

I also feel this movie needs to go back to Site A. Site B I feel has been a bit overused and I believe there could be some potential going back to Site A seeing how the environment and all the landmarks from the first movie have developed over the 20 years since nature took over. Nedry's shaving can also could be tied up!

I agree that going back to Nublar would be cool... but why is everyone so obsessed with Nedry's shaving cream can?
    I mean, Dodgson specifically said at the beginning of the movie that the coolant gas in the can would only last for about 36 hours. That means by now the embryos are very dead, and completely useless. And considering the movie never stated that dinosaurs were exterminated as they were at the end of the first book, who would care about the can anyway? If anyone wanted to steal the dinosaurs they would simply go and round them up like in TLW, or steal the eggs as in the second book.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I actually still have all 78 of those magazines in my wardrobe. In awful condition, since i was about 7 or 8 when they came out, but still readable. The skeletons are long gone. There was a T-Rex and Stegasaurus and they were flimsy as hell!

Was there only 78 issues? could have sworn i ended up collecting over 100.

Pretty sure they got chucked by my parents at some point, must have a rummage in the attic to see if they're still around just in case.

Re Site A/B: Weren't all the dinos at site A engineered to die out without human attention? Thought thats why they had to go to site B in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Mickeroo wrote: »

Re Site A/B: Weren't all the dinos at site A engineered to die out without human attention? Thought thats why they had to go to site B in the first place.

Lyscene dependency was supposed to kill them. They also said that they were all female and couldn't reproduce. Remember life finds a way ;)

As regards shaving foam it just seems like it's the easiest way to return to site A, provides motivation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Mickeroo wrote: »

That's right but in TLW it is said that they fed on plants with a high content of lysine (Sarah Harding explains this to Malcolm soon after he finds her in site B), so if it happened in site B there's no reason to assume the same didn´t happen in site A.

Also, the whole idea of "they can´t produce lysine by natural means" is kinda flawed because no vertebrates can produce lysine by themselves if I remember clearly...
    As regards shaving foam it just seems like it's the easiest way to return to site A, provides motivation

What kind of motivation? Like I said, the can is completely useless now, the embryos would only last 36 hours.
    No one except for Dodgson knew about the can, and even so, if it was Dodgson who returned to the island intent on stealing the dinosaurs again, he would probably capture some live ones instead of bothering with embryos and frozen DNA...

But I doubt Dodgson or anyone would attempt to steal the dinosaurs from either site A or B anymore, because after the incident in San Diego, it is implied that everyone in the world now knows about the existence of dinosaurs in the islands, and they are even given some sort of protected status, so if someone stole the dinos and exhibited them for profit, everyone would know where they came from and they would end up in jail (the thieves, not the dinos).

The fact that the dinosaurs are known as a reality now in the JP universe instead of a rumor like in the books changes everything...

Jurassic Park IV has attached director already... and chances are high you've never heard of him. I'm rather nervous about this D:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/195812/jurassic-park-4-to-be-directed-by-indie-newcomer-with-one-film-under-his-belt/

• Advertisement

I wrote on Krank how I was looking forward to seeing what the new guy could bring to the table, but am now worried that the studios may bully him into making bad decisions due to his lack of experience on blockbusters...

Trevorrow has said in Twitter that there won´t be feathered dinosaurs in Jurassic Park IV.
    Fans are already divided about this. What do you guys think? I personally am happy because that means that the continuity will be kept with the past films (which is more important in this case than scientific accuracy IMO).

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/BatFreak/news/?a=76091#DFHkLlI1VclZkOP7.01

So this is as birdlike as it gets, apparently:

raptor.jpg

I'm happy enough to be honest. Continuity is more important than accuracy at this point in time. Then again, if dinos starting spouting feathers left right and center for no apparent reason it wouldn't be very scientifically accurate either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well to paraphrase the video at the start of JP1, because the DNA is so old, its full of holes, so they used frog DNA to patch the holes. So you could argue that the frog DNA over wrote the feather growing instructions. If they are very smart they could even incorporate this explanation in the movie somehow.

Do we know is there going to be any original cast? I'm skeptical about this release, I have to say. It kind of feels like an excuse to sell toys, without an original story.

Still no sign of a Dino Riders movie.

Adam Khor wrote: »
    Jurassic Park IV has attached director already... and chances are high you've never heard of him. I'm rather nervous about this D:

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/195812/jurassic-park-4-to-be-directed-by-indie-newcomer-with-one-film-under-his-belt/

Highly recommend giving Safety Not Guaranteed a watch, great little film (its on netflix onstant in america now). Though I would have the same concerns as Galvasean.

Regards feathers, I guess most of the film going public are still familiar with the more traditional look associated with dinosaurs, probably the thinking behind that decision.

syklops wrote: »
    Well to paraphrase the video at the start of JP1, because the DNA is so old, its full of holes, so they used frog DNA to patch the holes. So you could argue that the frog DNA over wrote the feather growing instructions. If they are very smart they could even incorporate this explanation in the movie somehow.

Do we know is there going to be any original cast? I'm skeptical about this release, I have to say. It kind of feels like an excuse to sell toys, without an original story.

I don´t think that's the case. The movie has been postponed for a long time precisely because there wasn´t a good story to tell. If selling toys was the goal, they would have made a terrible, cheap sequel years ago.

I honestly think that, other than maybe a cameo by Hammond or something like that, we need a fresh cast; having Grant, Malcolm or Ellie return would be repetitive.

(Just found this: http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2013/03/jurassic_park_4_to_shoot_in_ba.html

If Jurassic Park IV is going to be filmed in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, then there is a possibility we won´t be returning to Nublar or Sorna... or maybe we will, who knows...

Wasn't most of the JP3 'jungle' filmed in a sound stage? Filming in a city doesn't necessarily mean dinos in a city/

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wasn't most of the JP3 'jungle' filmed in a sound stage? Filming in a city doesn't necessarily mean dinos in a city/

Very true, it doesn´t... I don´t know what sort of landscape there is around Baton Rouge but Louisiana does have some places that look a lot like prime dinosaur habitat (south eastern USA has swamp forests very reminiscent of late Cretaceous western North America), so maybe the dinosaurs have escaped and are now roaming these regions? Just a crazy thought... :D Of course we now know dinos would probably survive well in colder habitats but still, most people still expect to see them in torrid, green habitats...

And there are so many alternatives... maybe they're gonna build a fake Costa Rica there? Yeah, maybe we should wait until they confirm or refute this rumor...

(... yeah, I'm excited XD)

There's always gonna be people who can´t sit back and enjoy a movie for what it is, so, let them bark...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If the dinos look good and are in it a lot, then that will be enough to distract me from any plot.

Hell if the dinos look bad, the creature feature addict in me will still want to check it out. :D

Plot, director and cast aside, I think if we can trust something is that the dinos will look great.
    Say what you will about Jurassic Park III, its dinos were the best-looking in the series (and the best of any movie to that point) and they must know the audiences won´t take anything of inferior quality now.
    :cool:

I still think JP1 Dilo was the best looking of all and he was completely animatronic. Hopefully they remember what makes the JP dinos so special; the blend of CG and robotics.

I still think JP1 Dilo was the best looking of all and he was completely animatronic. Hopefully they remember what makes the JP dinos so special; the blend of CG and robotics.

Exactly :>

Yeah, the dilo was awesome... but I'm just fascinated by the female raptor in JP3. Those eyes look so alive...

Normally I'm a fan of Chasmo, but I think he needs to stop complaining about JP4 and focus on what he's good at (critiquing artwork). He's starting to sound like butthurt...
    http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.ie/

Looks like Hammond won't be making an appearance. He's been moved to a care home due to 'deteriorating mental health'. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Looks like Hammond won't be making an appearance. He's been moved to a care home due to 'deteriorating mental health'. :(

That sucks. Won't be the same without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Every Single Dinosaur in Jurassic Park, From Worst to Best

a_560x0.jpg

Makes me want to watch it again, haven't in yearssssss, is the blu ray version good or did they make a mess of it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

The legacy of Jurassic Park: Realistic dinosaurs and their poop

Mostly comments/info/experiences from peeps involved.

Advertisement