Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

D3V!L wrote: »
    Decided to check the air filter on my 990 SM before it goes in for remapping with mototuning next week. Had to strip off the side panels and tank to get to it. All looked good and even found that the SAS had previously been deleted, so win win :)

Was chatting with gary today and he said he just mapped another MT09 today, the SMs and MTs must keep him in business.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    No I am not suggesting that you don't use it on downpipes, I am just making others aware that it may react badly with alloy if it comes in contact with it, just in case people think it is bleach and not acid based.
    I'm all for making life easier but like a lot of powerful cleaners you have to be careful with them, including the alkaline cleaners that are also commonplace.
    Alloy is much more prone to damage and a small bit spilt on a footrest hangar can do a lot of harm to the finish.

I hear ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

20210313-121604.jpg

20210313-121614.jpg

20210313-121623.jpg

New Leather seat, with extra padding, please excuse the dirt I commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Nice. Is that a factory replacement or a custom seat?

20210313-121604.jpg

20210313-121614.jpg

20210313-121623.jpg

New Leather seat, with extra padding, please excuse the dirt I commute.

Gotta look after them buns.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Nice. Is that a factory replacement or a custom seat?

It's recovered in the factory pattern but with a few layers of extra foam. Looks and feels really plush.

well overdue.[IMG][/img]20210308-135751.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Lovely job. Where did you get it done?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Lovely job. Where did you get it done?
    A bloke on adverts advertises for recovering car seats (burghezu)

No Affiliation, he's close enough to me for the covid travel restrictions so I asked if he would do it and he said yes. I am very pleased with the results.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Fazer below not fully done but it's looking done. She's running like a top and shake down mileage is the next milestone

My first 'proper' paint job went pretty well, I think. Happy with the finish, just to de-nib, polish and ceramic coat it now.

548327.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

cantdecide wrote: »
    Fazer below not fully done but it's looking done. She's running like a top and shake down mileage is the next milestone

My first 'proper' paint job went pretty well, I think. Happy with the finish, just to de-nib, polish and ceramic coat it now.

548327.jpg

Never seen a hatchet used like that before xD

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

goblin59 wrote: »

He wanted a chopper! :D

• Advertisement

It might be a hatchet job but it's all about improvisation in my shed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

548327.jpg

Lookin Well!!
    Did you post a vid on your painting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

did very little in quite a while, went to start the fazer a couple of weeks ago after a good while sitting up, and it was dead. Charged battery, but it wasnt holding, so new battery. test ride around the block, and it was riding rough as a box of frogs, and eventually died. New battery was dead, recharged, left it for a few days and came back to 6 volts. Charged, put a meter across it, and <12 volts at5k rpm. new regulator ordered and fit, so its now back in spec at 5k rpm. Battery fully charged now, so will get out for a spin around the block later, see how it's riding, and monitor battery level over next few days to make sure that there is no drain. The joys of parking things up. Stupid covid.

lennymc wrote: »
    did very little in quite a while, went to start the fazer a couple of weeks ago after a good while sitting up, and it was dead. Charged battery, but it wasnt holding, so new battery. test ride around the block, and it was riding rough as a box of frogs, and eventually died. New battery was dead, recharged, left it for a few days and came back to 6 volts. Charged, put a meter across it, and <12 volts at5k rpm. new regulator ordered and fit, so its now back in spec at 5k rpm. Battery fully charged now, so will get out for a spin around the block later, see how it's riding, and monitor battery level over next few days to make sure that there is no drain. The joys of parking things up. Stupid covid.

Glad to hear you're whippin her back into shape Lenny.
    A dash mounted v meters a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

H_Lime wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're whippin her back into shape Lenny.
    A dash mounted v meters a great idea.

not going that far - ill hook upa battery tender charge point, and use that for measuring the V.

still need to fit my lights, scottoiler and heated grips.....

no need to use the bike now with wfh etc, but will hopefully get out for some sort of a spin this week/end

tried to upgrade the rotor on the DR over the weekend from a 290mm to a 320mm, should have spent the extra cash and gone EBC, damn KKE rotor was too thick and wheel wouldn't spin, even with the pads sanded down.

Starter motor might have blown too, so going to spend the day looking at the engine to see why.

worse case, I'm going to borrow the starter off the CCM R30 and then refurbish my starter

tried to upgrade the rotor on the DR over the weekend from a 290mm to a 320mm, should have spent the extra cash and gone EBC, damn KKE rotor was too thick and wheel wouldn't spin, even with the pads sanded down.

Starter motor might have blown too, so going to spend the day looking at the engine to see why.

worse case, I'm going to borrow the starter off the CCM R30 and then refurbish my starter

Bummer, hate when stuff like that happens but safety first with the anchors.
    "but its 5.15mm thick and the factory max spec is 4.2mm"
    That's a thick disc!
    Is the ebc 4.2mm?

Other than the usual problems associated with starter motors failing I did once use a spurious genny gasket which bound the starter gears to the sprag clutch as it was marginally thinner. Basically it meant the starter motor was mega sluggish and sounded like it was dieing, took ages to figure that one out.
    Good that you have a spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Sun shining so the long way to work. 60km of bliss via the Sally Gap, Cruagh etc. Glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

KildareMan wrote: »
    Sun shining so the long way to work. 60km of bliss via the Sally Gap, Cruagh etc. Glorious.

Sounds like an awful commute :pac:

D3V!L wrote: »
    Sounds like an awful commute :pac:

Someone has to do it. Double my "normal" commute. The Tiger seemed to enjoy it. :)

• Advertisement

Bummer, hate when stuff like that happens but safety first with the anchors.
    "but its 5.15mm thick and the factory max spec is 4.2mm"
    That's a thick disc!
    Is the ebc 4.2mm?

Other than the usual problems associated with starter motors failing I did once use a spurious genny gasket which bound the starter gears to the sprag clutch as it was marginally thinner. Basically it meant the starter motor was mega sluggish and sounded like it was dieing, took ages to figure that one out.
    Good that you have a spare.

looking online, the EBC is 4mm thick.
    Insane that 1mm makes a difference!

Yeah, Im glad Dad doesn't mind me robbing the CCM's engine! who reason he bought the bike was for spares xD it's a supermoto with a XF650 engine in it and KTM 640 suspension.

My plan now is drain the carb, remove one of the spark plugs and see can i manually turn the crank.
    If that fixes it happy days. If not, organ robbing time

Lookin Well!!
    Did you post a vid on your painting?

Thank you muchly! I'll stick one more up once the bike is running and riding. I've decided to repaint the tank because there was room for improvement. I'll save the tank repaint for after the shakedown though. I'll be glad to be finished with it!!

looking online, the EBC is 4mm thick.
    Insane that 1mm makes a difference!

Yeah, Im glad Dad doesn't mind me robbing the CCM's engine! who reason he bought the bike was for spares xD it's a supermoto with a XF650 engine in it and KTM 640 suspension.

My plan now is drain the carb, remove one of the spark plugs and see can i manually turn the crank.
    If that fixes it happy days. If not, organ robbing time
    I suppose its over 18% bigger being .95mm oversize. Modifying pads to suit is a bit of a bodge, your doing the right thing replacing imo. You could bring it to an engineering firm and have it resurfaced to 4.2 if they won't take it back.

Is the starter cranking at all or is it dead? Give it a tapitty tap tap of a hammer and try again. If she's dead dead try bypassing the loom and feed it 12v direct and see if she spins? Failing that open it up, clean it out, grease the bearing and try again.
    Thank you muchly! I'll stick one more up once the bike is running and riding. I've decided to repaint the tank because there was room for improvement. I'll save the tank repaint for after the shakedown though. I'll be glad to be finished with it!!
    Looking forward to it. You have your next project lined up? Any work on yer own bikes?

I suppose its over 18% bigger being .95mm oversize. Modifying pads to suit is a bit of a bodge, your doing the right thing replacing imo. You could bring it to an engineering firm and have it resurfaced to 4.2 if they won't take it back.

Is the starter cranking at all or is it dead? Give it a tapitty tap tap of a hammer and try again. If she's dead dead try bypassing the loom and feed it 12v direct and see if she spins? Failing that open it up, clean it out, grease the bearing and try again.

It was an ebay purchase, so will just tell ebay this item isn't fit for purpose and get the refund that way.
    I can definitly see them trying a you're on your own buddy thing'
    I think it would be too expensive to try and get turned, plus its a floating disc, can't see that being an easy thing to resurface or cheap.

I can easily turn the crank by hand, took the bung out of the LHS casing to give it a spin.

A direct feed from the battery didn't turn the motor either.
    I've a mate swinging round later to bring it up to his garage and I can pop the motor out there to take apart.
    Unfortunatly not in Fermanagh at the moment, so don't have the same space in the apartment garage to be taking off the exhaust, cam chain tensionor and clutch cable and then leave them out for a week while a new part arrives.

The CCM starter uses a slightly different mounting system too. Bastards must have known I'd be cannibalizing it xD

Today I did something completely different with my bike, I rode it.

Last day with the current job tomorrow so had booked access to the office to clear out my locker. Well the biker gods were on my side, took the scenic route of course, 200km+ covered. Knackered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

zubair wrote: »
    Today I did something completely different with my bike, I rode it.

Last day with the current job tomorrow so had booked access to the office to clear out my locker. Well the biker gods were on my side, took the scenic route of course, 200km+ covered. Knackered!

Fair play bud. Finished with my current job Monday. Thursday pencilled in for a day's spin and the weather is looking good. All the best in the new job if you've one lined up!

Cheers, New job lined up alright, starting next week. Have a few days off in between too. unfortunately I'll be back working when the 5km is lifted. Best of luck to you too :-)

hdr.jpg
    Ehhh....no.
    More than I can handle offroad.

hdr.jpg
    She's a tar puppy for sure.

Fixed not 1 but 2 punctures, at the same time coming into work. Fence post staple. Embeded to the "hilt" with the two punctures over a cm apart. No way I can bend the ends apart so shows the energy and mechanics at work when a tyre picks up. Sticky string and compressor under the Tiger's seat so back up and running in 15 minutes.

lsj5esl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

KildareMan wrote: »
    Fixed not 1 but 2 punctures, at the same time coming into work. Fence post staple. Embeded to the "hilt" with the two punctures over a cm apart. No way I can bend the ends apart so shows the energy and mechanics at work when a tyre picks up. Sticky string and compressor under the Tiger's seat so back up and running in 15 minutes.

lsj5esl.jpg

Fair play I would be still sitting at the side of the road!

What brand Sticky String Kit \ Compressor do you have?

Advertisement