Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

zubair wrote: »
    I miss freezing my fingers off on my miserable Jan/ Feb commute.

I kind of actually do tbh, I can't justify mine at all without commuting every day on it. May aswell be burning money every day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

I've been commuting to work on mine since I bought it in October, Only days I leave it at home is when there is Ice \ bad storm.

I could count on one hand the number of days I've had a normal dry spin in daylight.

I'm out the door in the morning at 6am and working until 5.30, so its nearly always pitch dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I got my Z7 back on the road after some work last Saturday it was nice to just hear the bike humming again. A short trip to fill the tank and visit the pharmacy was actually nice. I don't normally like visits to the chemists! but heck the reasons for travel now have never been more strange. I think I will even write a book about the last 12 months!!!

PS the XVS is still bagged up and I am thinking of declaring it off the road for the year. That is to save on the insurance more than the road tax.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Goose81 wrote: »
    I kind of actually do tbh, I can't justify mine at all without commuting every day on it. May aswell be burning money every day :(

I miss mine terribly. It's not an exciting commute but it's therapy for me.

That being said, I don't think I ever want to go back to 5 days a week in the office again...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Fabio wrote: »

That being said, I don't think I ever want to go back to 5 days a week in the office again...
    I have not been back to the office since the first lockdown
    Been working from home :-)
    Bought the bike so I wouldn't have to go on the bus
    Did the IBT about June or July and put up about 4.5K
    If the weather is permitting I try to get out on the bike at lunchtime to clear my head :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Goose81 wrote: »

This is it, I was riding 5 or 6 days a week. Now, like you, the bike is just sitting there, I'm officially a fair weather biker now. 1 positive, this is the longest a tyre has ever lasted me.
    Fabio wrote: »

I'm with you there, during lockdown 2, I was going into the office twice a week to do the paper work, which suited me perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

PS the XVS is still bagged up and I am thinking of declaring it off the road for the year. That is to save on the insurance more than the road tax.

just take it off the policy then at renewal time, you don't have to have declared it off the road unless you don't renew the tax (I'm presuming that you still have some tax left to go when your insurance is up.)

If you still have other bike(s) insured then you don't have to worry about losing your NCB.

Depending on the bike, taking it off the policy mid-policy could well cost you more in admin fees than you'd get in a refund.

Life ain't always empty.

Waa7 wrote: »
    I think the original issue may have occurred a few months back when I was coming back from Wexford and the tank was on empty and it cut out so I had to switch it to reserve. Hope this might help another biker.

If reserve is never used, it fills up with crap and dumps that into the fuel filter/carbs when you do need to use it. I always used to use reserve for a few miles on each tankful before filling up to keep the tap and lines clean. Just don't forget to switch back to normal when you fill up.

Did you remove the tank and flush out any crap from the bottom of the tank? Any rust?

Been years since I've ridden a carbed bike...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

zubair wrote: »
    This is it, I was riding 5 or 6 days a week. Now, like you, the bike is just sitting there, I'm officially a fair weather biker now. 1 positive, this is the longest a tyre has ever lasted me.

I'm with you there, during lockdown 2, I was going into the office twice a week to do the paper work, which suited me perfectly.

To be fair I suppose with covid it is unique, like even if you got a nice day on a weekend not as if you can go anywhere. well unless your Japcati who doesn't give 5uck by the looks of posts

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Waa7

Has anyone any rust issues? A few weeks back I tried scrunched up Tin foil and warm water. Well it worked an absolute treat. Small tip but it looks unreal since I done it. The picture below was full of rust like the top part but look how brilliant it’s come out. PS: forgot to take before n after pics Ooops. Doesn’t leave scratch marks or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Has anyone any rust issues? A few weeks back I tried scrunched up Tin foil and warm water. Well it worked an absolute treat. Small tip but it looks unreal since I done it. The picture below was full of rust like the top part but look how brilliant it’s come out. PS: forgot to take before n after pics Ooops. Doesn’t leave scratch marks or anything.

havnt heard the tin foil and hot water trick before.
    How does that work?

goblin59 wrote: »
    How does that work?
    Me too I have not heard of that
    interested if it works :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GBX wrote: »

Skimming through the website, I seen this
    HOW TO REMOVE RUST WITH DISH SOAP AND A POTATO:

seems very appropriate for us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you want to remove rust spots from chrome, use 0000 grade steel wool and WD40 or a similar lubricant, any light oil really.
    This will restore chrome without scratching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Only got around to fitting an Oberon clutch slave that I got around Xmas to my Tuono
    today.
    That's 3 Oberon slaves fitted to my 3 Apes.
    Got a spin in as well.
    Screenshot-20210216-162135.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

20210217-181538.jpg

20210217-181555.jpg

Put barkbusters on and a new exhuast.

The quality on that exhaust is amazing the welds are perfect and I think it's the best sounding aftermarket option for the bike. Didn't have a tool to take the baffle out but even with it in it's nearly too loud :pac:

How does that work?
    Me too I have not heard of that
    interested if it works :-)
    Absolutely does work, wish I’d have taken there before n after pics. Try it on something that’s chrome n Rusty if you don’t believe me, I put Autosol polish on after and it comes up great.

Been a miserable couple of days so I decided to tackle the grubby looking petrol cap
    Bit of silver paint and painted the heads of the screws black they were silver

544332.jpg

544333.jpg

I will give the black piece a clean when the weather clears up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Washed the bike at the weekend and applied acf 50, cleaned and adjusted the chain, fitted a custom brake cap, removed the tax holder, will carry disc with me, (anyone ever pulled on it?) spray painted the bash plate. Contemplating removing the handrail and rear pegs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Zebbedee

omerin wrote: »
    removed the tax holder, will carry disc with me, (anyone ever pulled on it?)

I've had my tax disc on my key ring for a long long time.
    This was because tax discs used to get robbed years ago.
    I've never had an issue but bear in mind some jobs worth may give you a ticket for non display of the tax disc while parked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had 2 stolen so just carried it in my pocket. Never an issue. Even going through tax checkpoints they didn't even look. Might be an issue if you parked on a footpath somewhere like king street regularly.

I keep a photocopy of my tax disc in the holder and keep the original on file at home.
    I also have a PDF on google documents of the tax and insurance so I can show them as needed without having to search

What would everyone’s tips be on learning and becoming a bike mechanic? Is there any particular courses needed? etc, thanks for help in advance. I’m really interested in learning as I see a gap in the market in the next few years in Waterford especially having talked to Marcus Doherty n I know Hilton only takes appointments now. Seems there’s plenty of bikes to repair but not enough mechanics in the city they seem to be overwhelmed.

What would everyone’s tips be on learning and becoming a bike mechanic? Is there any particular courses needed? etc, thanks for help in advance. I’m really interested in learning as I see a gap in the market in the next few years in Waterford especially having talked to Marcus Doherty n I know Hilton only takes appointments now. Seems there’s plenty of bikes to repair but not enough mechanics in the city they seem to be overwhelmed.

A friend of mine did a mechanics course and then apprenticed for a bit before getting work in a Garage.

I found building that DR from parts off the internet was a good way to learn some mechanic skills.

Do a welders course too, being able to weld decently makes a huge difference on your portfolio.

A friend of mine did a mechanics course and then apprenticed for a bit before getting work in a Garage.

I found building that DR from parts off the internet was a good way to learn some mechanic skills.

Do a welders course too, being able to weld decently makes a huge difference on your portfolio.

What’s the DR? The welders course sounds like a great idea, thanks.

What’s the DR? The welders course sounds like a great idea, thanks.

Its an old Suzuki bike, probably the longest running production bike at the moment, 1990 - 2021
    I was building one from parts off eBay

they're a very simple single cylinder bike, so was a good project to learn about engine maintenance, tappets, truing wheels, oil changing, wiring (did the entire loom from scratch)

previously I'd only done oil, sprockets, Dot4 and chain maintenance

Its an old Suzuki bike, probably the longest running production bike at the moment, 1990 - 2021
    I was building one from parts off eBay

they're a very simple single cylinder bike, so was a good project to learn about engine maintenance, tappets, truing wheels, oil changing, wiring (did the entire loom from scratch)

previously I'd only done oil, sprockets, Dot4 and chain maintenance

Brilliant, I’ll try what I can on my own bike to whatever comes up. Once things open I’ll go do a welding course.

In Ireland, you have to learn how to gunter in bolts as tight as possible just short of snapping them without any grease :rolleyes:

Adding random scratches in places the owner won't notice til later is also a skill

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I had two customers about ten years ago that were "state employees" and rode motorcycles for a living ;) and both did a course in Kevin Street or similar college to become a mechanic. They got transferred back to the country and set up as bike mechanics and make a nice income. If you can do it you will definitely be busy. My mechanic has stopped servicing bikes and opened a bicycle shop. His business is now booming. There's a shortage of good mechanics in Dublin.

Advertisement