Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'm very interested in a T7 myself, the appeal is strong for a bike with minimal rider electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

D3V!L wrote: »
    The 1200 Tenere has been discontinued due to palaeontologists putting them all on display in natural history museums and the 700 is far too small for me. :D
    Yes absolutely, the ten doesn't have the luxury, prestige and engineering enhancements the unrivalled gs waterbuffalo has. What other manufacturer would have the genius idea to install a "break in" engine and box.
    Triggers broom.

Full disclosure, I own many unreliable bikes, but I'm not deluded enough to shill them as reliable because they cost a fookin fortune and have a """prestige""" badge on the side.
    "nothing from Asia to equal it at the moment"
    DEEP IRONY:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

H_Lime wrote: »
    Yes absolutely, the ten doesn't have the luxury, prestige and engineering enhancements the unrivalled gs waterbuffalo has. What other manufacturer would have the genius idea to install a "break in" engine and box.
    Triggers broom.

Full disclosure, I own many unreliable bikes, but I'm not deluded enough to shill them as reliable because they cost a fookin fortune and have a """prestige""" badge on the side.
    DEEP IRONY:pac:

I didn't shill anything as reliable. :rolleyes:

I didn't shill anything as reliable. :rolleyes:

If in your assessment of your brand new 20k bike that has nothing to equal it from asia, where does its reliability come in priorities, and how is it unequalled from the far east?
    Most of us plebs have that high, actually very high on the list or else we get to come on here with tales of Harleys in vans going to wexas needing special hoses and gs's needing heart and lung transplants so yea nothing to equal it from asia lol.

In terms of performance but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth

• Advertisement

In terms of performance but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth,

I suppose its incurring no engine or chassis wear when it's broke the fook down at the side of the road, so yea that good performance! Meanwhile the tenerasuras rex and his African twin waft by.
    You see not everyones whips out the wallet (or pen) for sh1t marketing and bad coffee. Some owners, dare I say real owners own beemer and Harleys and they make them run, they fix the problems and don't need warrenty or men in vans to fix sprag clutches, clutch release bearings and gearboxes and if and when they fix them they don't say
    "nothing from Asia to equal it at the moment" because they might feel they sound like an entitled prat.

Any feedback from City spares on the katoom, was it the release bearing?

I suppose its incurring no engine or chassis wear when it's broke the fook down at the side of the road, so yea that good performance! Meanwhile the tenerasuras rex and his African twin waft by.
    You see not everyones whips out the wallet (or pen) for sh1t marketing and bad coffee. Some owners, dare I say real owners own beemer and Harleys and they make them run, they fix the problems and don't need warrenty or men in vans to fix sprag clutches, clutch release bearings and gearboxes and if and when they fix them they don't say
    "nothing from Asia to equal it at the moment" because they might feel they sound like an entitled prat.

Any feedback from City spares on the katoom, was it the release bearing?

Ah I seeee after 20 years of being a nothing but a biker, fixing my own bikes, paying for my own bikes out of my own pocket and getting to choose whatever bike I want because I worked for it and I'm missing something !! . I'm not a "real" biker" :rolleyes:

You've managed to derail the thread to facilitate whatever chip you have on your shoulder.

I'll leave it there. I'm off to lube the splines on my driveshaft.

Ah I seeee after 20 years of being a nothing but a biker, fixing my own bikes, paying for my own bikes out of my own pocket and getting to choose whatever bike I want because I worked for it and I'm missing something !! . I'm not a "real" biker" :rolleyes:

You've managed to derail the thread to facilitate whatever chip you have on your shoulder.

I'll leave it there. I'm off to lube the splines on my driveshaft.

You wanna hit the rewind button and whip out the spanners as 20 years ago you got to your destination without boring the titates off some of us with your adventures in vans on unreliable expensive bikes. But hey! nothing outa Asia can compare!

Ps leave yer splines alone or you'll invalidate your safety blanket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Got a new number plate for the bike but its far too small :pac: Think I will order another one that is a bit bigger

I was tempted to get one of those small plates for the DR, but I also want to take the bike to France and Germany and their road cops don't have a sense of humour

You wanna hit the rewind button and whip out the spanners as 20 years ago you got to your destination without boring the titates off some of us with your adventures in vans on unreliable expensive bikes. But hey! nothing outa Asia can compare!

Ps leave yer splines alone or you'll invalidate your safety blanket.

Don't start on Splines, Deauvilles use them as well and they are commonly dry from Mr Honda.
    I pulled my wheel a year or so ago and lubed it with moly grease but I have since got a tin of proper Moly paste and am planning on doing it with the right stuff.
    Ask Fabio about that job on the 700:eek:

• Advertisement

Got a new number plate for the bike but its far too small :pac: Think I will order another one that is a bit bigger

Small bike small plate, I have a tail tidy on the MSX but I really need a small extension or a rear wheel mudflap thing. I paint my back with a racing stripe of mud whenever its wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Removed a few more parts from the CBR F3 including rear wheel. Made the decision and commitment to go down to bare frame and have it painted. I'm thinking to keep in the original silver but also considering black.

Removed a few more parts from the CBR F3 including rear wheel. Made the decision and commitment to go down to bare frame and have it painted. I'm thinking to keep in the original silver but also considering black.

Powder or standard paint? I know powdercoating is super durable but it just never looks right to me, too thick a build or something.
    I can understand why it is used though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Powder or standard paint? I know powdercoating is super durable but it just never looks right to me, too thick a build or something.
    I can understand why it is used though.

I reckon paint

Because fitting originals would be too easy :) Tbh its piss easy. I will keep all functionality and I'll gain a clock. However the big change is now I'll have a digital screen for speedo

This is the difference (stock image of old clocks)

Fair dues yer a man with a plan so. Will you need to get all custom with infill panels for a neat install?
    On my 78 gs1000 I'll prob spray it as this resto will oem but on everything else I coat. Way more durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

The rain let up for a little bit so I got the Caliper off to do the seals as the dust seal was pushing its way out
    The new seals are in and all cleaned up and ready to go back on the bike in the morning weather permitting

541831.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Started the bike for the first time in two months. Brought it for a 50km spin and all seems well. Roll on the fine weather again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Anybody got an recommendations on what to use to clean a brake caliper? Its a bit dull looking on my bike. Would like it to look a little nicer

I just used WD40 brake cleaner, never did me or the bike any harm, worked well also.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Took mine off and replaced the seals
    Cleaned it with a toothbrush and some brake cleaner
    Gave the outside a wipe with some paper towels and put it back on next day

did not last long the roads around here are covered in muck and sh1te 3 building sites within a couple of hundred yards
    Bike was manky again after 2 mins on the road :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This weather you need a garage to do anything, poxy trying to any work on a bike outside in a freezing damp wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In this weather you need a heated garage !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

In this weather you need a car, lets be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Waa7

Waa7 wrote: »
    Updates on my bike issue, I’ve run Redex through the tank and put new fuel into it. I haven’t got to get too far on the bike to give it a good run yet, hoping if it is dirt in the tank there Redex does the job plus Redex is 6 euro in Halfords most garages are like 8.99, big difference. Also the idle I adjusted too as the bike would cut out when I’d start it when I give it throttle so upped the idle screw n solved that issue.

Good news on my bike, changing the fuel lines on either side of the fuel filter and adding Redex to my tank seems to have solved my issue of it cutting out, dirt in the tank it seems. A friend of mine advised me of that and I’ve been on 2 50km spins and no issues of anything it’s even better then ever. :) I think the original issue may have occurred a few months back when I was coming back from Wexford and the tank was on empty and it cut out so I had to switch it to reserve. Hope this might help another biker.

Waa7 wrote: »
    Good news on my bike, changing the fuel lines on either side of the fuel filter and adding Redex to my tank seems to have solved my issue of it cutting out, dirt in the tank it seems. A friend of mine advised me of that and I’ve been on 2 50km spins and no issues of anything it’s even better then ever. :) I think the original issue may have occurred a few months back when I was coming back from Wexford and the tank was on empty and it cut out so I had to switch it to reserve. Hope this might help another biker.
    Might be no harm to change the fuel filter as well, it could have a lot of dirt in it.
    They are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Waa7

Might be no harm to change the fuel filter as well, it could have a lot of dirt in it.
    They are cheap.

That’s changed 2 weeks ago from the service it got. Whole new set up so done the trick, first time trying maintenance on the bike like that so great learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Anybody got an recommendations on what to use to clean a brake caliper? Its a bit dull looking on my bike. Would like it to look a little nicer

I use brake cleaner and then brush on ACF50 to protect and leave a nice finish, that's actually a lubricant though so you use it very sparingly and be careful not to get on the discs or pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Don't start on Splines, Deauvilles use them as well and they are commonly dry from Mr Honda.
    I pulled my wheel a year or so ago and lubed it with moly grease but I have since got a tin of proper Moly paste and am planning on doing it with the right stuff.
    Ask Fabio about that job on the 700:eek:

Could do it blindfolded now :D. It's actually a cheap job these days too, lots of spares for the 650 knocking around and the drive train is the same as the 700 so easy to find good bits and recondition it yourself.

On a serious note - if you own a bike with shaft drive, don't consider it to be maintenance free. Make sure the splines are oiled with the right grease (or if not the absolute 100% right grease, make sure it is done with something close and do it every time the wheel is off for tyres).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Goose81 wrote: »
    I use brake cleaner and then brush on ACF50 to protect and leave a nice finish, that's actually a lubricant though so you use it very sparingly and be careful not to get on the discs or pads.

No harm in dribbling a teeny bit on the pistons too. Doesn't harm the rubber seals but does keep the pistons moving nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

Fabio wrote: »
    No harm in dribbling a teeny bit on the pistons too. Doesn't harm the rubber seals but does keep the pistons moving nicely.

Between covid and the weather the bike has seen about a 3 days of dry daylight since it left the factory, it spends its time under a cover so you could eat your dinner off the caliper. whoever gets it next off me will have some nice clean calipers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Goose81 wrote: »
    Between covid and the weather the bike has seen about a 3 days of dry daylight since it left the factory, it spends its time under a cover so you could eat your dinner off the caliper. whoever gets it next off me will have some nice clean calipers :D

I miss freezing my fingers off on my miserable Jan/ Feb commute.

Advertisement