Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I recently repaired the fuel tank on my GV650 efi. Put it all back together but the fuel pump doesnt seem to be priming. Normally when I key the ignition on you can hear the fuel pump for a second or so. Any ideas? I put 5 litres of petrol into the tank. Is there a manual pump to get it going? The tank was removed for about 2 weeks if thats important. I had the battery on a trickle charger. Ive checked fuses. Fuel hose is pushed home and all electrical connections seem ok. The bike started and ran before I removed the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭H_Lime

I recently repaired the fuel tank on my GV650 efi. Put it all back together but the fuel pump doesnt seem to be priming. Normally when I key the ignition on you can hear the fuel pump for a second or so. Any ideas? I put 5 litres of petrol into the tank. Is there a manual pump to get it going? The tank was removed for about 2 weeks if thats important. I had the battery on a trickle charger. Ive checked fuses. Fuel hose is pushed home and all electrical connections seem ok. The bike started and ran before I removed the tank.

Is she giving a code when any diagnostic mode is entered into. If the pump, its earth/fuses, connectors check out and no alarm gubbins are involved check the pump relay. On some you can swop it with its neighbour to see if its gammy. Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

Check your kill switch.

scudster wrote: »
    Check your kill switch.
    Yes! the most likely candidate!!! :pac:

I tried flicking the kill switch on and off. Would a bad kill switch not allow the fuel pump to prime? Head wrecker because it worked fine before I fixed the tank. I connected the battery directly to the fuel pump and it's not turning over. Seen a few generic ones on eBay I might try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭goblin59

I tried flicking the kill switch on and off. Would a bad kill switch not allow the fuel pump to prime? Head wrecker because it worked fine before I fixed the tank. I connected the battery directly to the fuel pump and it's not turning over. Seen a few generic ones on eBay I might try.

I've done some work on negative pressure pumps before as a handyman, check to see if there is a magnetic reed switch on your pump, they were a common one to fail on some water pumps. Quick hit with the back of a screw driver usually fixed it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is there any tip over switch on the GV that may have been knocked or tilted?
    You probably need to follow the wiring back from the fuel pump through all the different connectors to make sure they are or are not passing current to the Fuel pump.
    It could be a connector that was bumped or knocked as well.
    Power at ignition, -> connector-> relay?-> Fuel pump?
    I don't know much about the Hyosung so I can't be specific.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Is there any tip over switch on the GV that may have been knocked or tilted?
    You probably need to follow the wiring back from the fuel pump through all the different connectors to make sure they are or are not passing current to the Fuel pump.
    It could be a connector that was bumped or knocked as well.
    Power at ignition, -> connector-> relay?-> Fuel pump?
    I don't know much about the Hyosung so I can't be specific.

There is a tip over switch but its bolted to the frame and not the tank so it should not have been triggered. Its a sealed unit so not much I can do with that. Ill check the wiring just in case I knocked something. But really when I hooked it up to the battery it should have done something?

Maybe the fact it sat up drying out for over 2 weeks it has sized the motor?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Maybe the fact it sat up drying out for over 2 weeks it has sized the motor?

Perhaps, try applying 12v directly to the pump and see if it energises.
    If it doesn't give it a tap with something and see if it will start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Nearly four months after ordering it, the genuine Yamaha comfort seat for the MT10 arrived yesterday. Aside from being FAR more comfortable than the stock seat it fits the bike properly. The stock seat has a bit too much free play and moves around a bit, which has rubbed some of the paint off under it on the subframe.

lQ0b88b.jpg?4

wucy8zR.jpg?1

I hope theres a tail tidy coming soon?? Yamaha have gone off the wall completely with the plate holders. The tenere back end looks ready to snap off with thr shiote hanging off it

• Advertisement

hedzball wrote: »
    I hope theres a tail tidy coming soon?? Yamaha have gone off the wall completely with the plate holders. The tenere back end looks ready to snap off with thr shiote hanging off it

It's on the shopping list alright, yamaha actually do a decent looking one themselves. Of course like the crappy stock seat it's just another way to get more money out of you to get what should have come with the bike in the first place.
    Gonna replace the handlebar and risers next, with a pair of rizoma bar end mirrors. Won't have the cash for that until after Christmas though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

It's on the shopping list alright, yamaha actually do a decent looking one themselves. Of course like the crappy stock seat it's just another way to get more money out of you to get what should have come with the bike in the first place.
    Gonna replace the handlebar and risers next, with a pair of rizoma bar end mirrors. Won't have the cash for that until after Christmas though.

You weren’t in Lee around lunchtime were you?

You weren’t in Lee around lunchtime were you?

Not today, I was in there Saturday to collect the seat and have a look at the rocket 3 they have for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RandomUsername

Possibly airlocked and they run quieter when they are so you might not notice.
    try remove the outlet pipe and cycle the ignition a few times

Part 1 of the repairs complete. At least I can ride it again now

B8580-FCD-7-FA4-44-FC-A334-3-F95-F1-B42-C1-F.jpg

5604-D7-D8-59-BD-4-F67-B1-FA-9-EA4-D33861-FD.jpg

Still waiting on the inner filler panel to put the indicator back on, bought a secondhand one for €30, the one that broke has cost €100 to fix.

0-CD5-EE80-9-A00-4-B5-E-81-F7-698-B3-BFA5299.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well I tried to fit some Rox Risers to my Africa Twin but didn't work out, so I'm going to sell them again.

If anyone's interested they'll fit any 28mm handlebars (BeeEmm, Triumph, Honda etc), and give a 50mm lift and rotate back & forth as well.

Part number is 1R-P2PPG (see attachment)

Cost me €100 inc postage, so will post to someone for... €75 ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    well I tried to fit some Rox Risers to my Africa Twin but didn't work out, so I'm going to sell them again.

If anyone's interested they'll fit any 28mm handlebars (BeeEmm, Triumph, Honda etc), and give a 50mm lift and rotate back & forth as well.

Part number is 1R-P2PPG (see attachment)

Cost me €100 inc postage, so will post to someone for... €75 ?

Was it cables or lock issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

H_Lime wrote: »
    Was it cables or lock issues?

Well being DCT and drive-by-wire, there are no cables !!

Actually though, wasn't happy with brake pipe to master cylinder routing.

That and when I sat on the bike it didn't really cure what I was hoping it would fix: I think I need to change the angle of the bars for my hands, rather than where they are - I kinda hoped bringing them closer would have helped the angle thing, but it didn't, so back to Square One I am.

Lock seemed fine.

Ah well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Getting ready for winter. New MRA windscreen & Oxford heated grips.

The grips were a bit more work than expected. Had to shave off and sand down plastic contours off the throttle tube to fit the grip.

20201014-215355.jpg
    20201014-215405.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dmigsy wrote: »
    Getting ready for winter. New MRA windscreen & Oxford heated grips.

The grips were a bit more work than expected. Had to shave off and sand down plastic contours off the throttle tube to fit the grip.

20201014-215355.jpg
    20201014-215405.jpg

stanley blade has them off in minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dmigsy

listermint wrote: »
    stanley blade has them off in minutes

Yeah, that's what I used. Still needed a fair amount of sanding after that to get it to the point where the Oxford grips would go on. Not much flex in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dmigsy wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I used. Still needed a fair amount of sanding after that to get it to the point where the Oxford grips would go on. Not much flex in them.

yeah but youve got flex now after all the efforts :cool:

Like a male Irish kali god of destruction and rebirth I went a butcherin a perfectly good gpr:eek:.
    https://ibb.co/zZ73fb7
    It flows badly as shown on the dyno, and it's also louder than necessary. The link pipe was stuck, very stuck so...

https://ibb.co/brxfLZS
    https://ibb.co/FVG35Xr
    https://ibb.co/4FbBbZg
    Bagged this on ebay, nicely made adapter for an sv650 to fit a gsxr thou four bolt.

https://ibb.co/qY6vCXR
    Chop chop.

https://ibb.co/fksXCbZ
    Mount how you want it clearing rear caliper through full suspension stroke...

https://ibb.co/FwcQYCX
    ...and scribe orientation for Mr tig to weld. Im annoyed I don't tig and intend resolving that for christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

H_Lime wrote: »
    Like a male Irish kali god of destruction and rebirth I went a butcherin a perfectly good gpr:eek:.
    https://ibb.co/zZ73fb7
    It flows badly as shown on the dyno, and it's also louder than necessary. The link pipe was stuck, very stuck so...

https://ibb.co/brxfLZS
    https://ibb.co/FVG35Xr
    https://ibb.co/4FbBbZg
    Bagged this on ebay, nicely made adapter for an sv650 to fit a gsxr thou four bolt.

https://ibb.co/qY6vCXR
    Chop chop.

https://ibb.co/fksXCbZ
    Mount how you want it clearing rear caliper through full suspension stroke...

https://ibb.co/FwcQYCX
    ...and scribe orientation for Mr tig to weld. Im annoyed I don't tig and intend resolving that for christmas.

Great bit of metalwork goin on there :-)

Finally got Aux lights and a sargent seat for the F650GS.
    Been doing alot of travelling with work this summer and needed the lights now that its getting darker.

Might sell the Sargent seat though as it raises the height a little too much and the actual arse padding is a bit far back for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭blade1

goblin59 wrote: »

the actual arse padding is a bit far back for me.

Ya need to work on your glutes Brah! :pac:

Check out topsellerie for a cheaper option.
    Can get heated and gel padding in different lengths and heights to suit you better.
    I have one on my zzr with 7 years.

Screenshot-20180905-055818-01.jpg

Screenshot-20200630-220302.jpg

blade1 wrote: »

Can get heated and gel padding in different lengths and heights to suit you better.

haha I've the strength in them from kicking things, but I've a bony arse.

Yeah i was looking at Topsellerie, i might sell this on and pick one up.
    Its hard to test out the seats sometimes as I don't think any of the shops in ireland have some in stock

thats the seat there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭blade1

goblin59 wrote: »
    thats the seat there

Any seat upgrade may affect your feet touching the ground.
    I think the topsellerie is a little wider than stock .
    I suppose the Sargent would be higher quality but a bit more bland in the looks department.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »

I'm jealous now :pac:

https://www.topsellerie.com/en-ie/deluxe-seat-SGC4860-suzuki-v-strom-dl-650-2002-2011_360.html

Advertisement