Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

https://imgur.com/a/hD5Yomf

I literally can't post a bloody image to save my life.. Put a hand grip thingy and also windshield extender and it's made a huge difference.

Is the codes still [i.mg] pic link [/i.mg] with out the dot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

sf9v7k.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

https://imgur.com/a/hD5Yomf

I literally can't post a bloody image to save my life..

Is the codes still [i.mg] pic link [/i.mg] with out the dot?

Yes:
    [ img]https://i.imgur.com/SygQdpi.jpg[/img]

(without the space before the i)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Finally received the R&G covers, as per the photos, i was able to fit one with no problems at all, looks much much better and covers the flaking silver paint. The second one i couldn't get on due to the footbrake. I have a new oil cooler pipe as well which i haven't changed. I’m nearly done with this bike now in regards to adding bits.

2j1lz5y.jpg

2ms4ui0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Same as my own, i have the oxford grips wired to the battery and they are fused, as previously mentioned, the glue supplied can be an issue, my left grip is slightly loose already, this is due to the left side being metal whereas the throttle is plastic hence it sticks better.

Pull the handle off, spray the inside with hair spray put it back on again.

• Advertisement

Finally received the R&G covers, as per the photos, i was able to fit one with no problems at all, looks much much better and covers the flaking silver paint. The second one i couldn't get on due to the footbrake. I have new oil cooler pipe as well which i haven't changed. I nearly done with this bike now in regards to adding bits.

Covers look sweet, I think il have to get some for mine, my paints not in great nick. I dislike it immensely.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

The bike broke down on the way home from work so no heated grips for me yet.

I'll be putting in a new battery after work so hopefully that solves it

listermint wrote: »
    Pull the handle off, spray the inside with hair spray put it back on again.

Hairspray? That actually works :confused:

Hairspray? That actually works :confused:

Yep! Make sure leave it dry for about 20 mins before touching it afterwards.

Covers look sweet, I think il have to get some for mine, my paints not in great nick. I dislike it immensely.

It makes the world of difference. I don’t blame you for disliking it. You have a DL yourself don’t you?

• Advertisement

It makes the world of difference. I don’t blame you for disliking it. You have a DL yourself don’t you?

Your bike is a carbon copy of mine.

Parked side by side id probably jump on yours is the confusion :)

Your bike is a carbon copy of mine.

Parked side by side id probably jump on yours is the confusion :)

White as well? They are rare, i only ever seen one other white one and that was on donedeal a while back in Donegal.

White as well? They are rare, i only ever seen one other white one and that was on donedeal a while back in Donegal.

Yep, Same one. Ive only seen 2 others of them in Dublin.

Brought mine over from Wales.

Yep, Same one. Ive only seen 2 others of them in Dublin.

Brought mine over from Wales.

My bike was based in Dublin until June of this year, that may well have been one of them. It came from Sheffield in June 2016. Was there much of a saving importing it yourself? No idea how VRT works with bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

It's the same procedure as a car.

Just don't go on biker.ie and read about the guys who think the VRT crowd ask you to ride it around the car park as part of the process :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

It's the same procedure as a car.

Just don't go on biker.ie and read about the guys who think the VRT crowd ask you to ride it around the car park as part of the process :pac::pac:

Y'what now ?

Hopefully I'll finally get to fit the heated grips this weekend, I'll go with above advice and get a relay.

Would it be worth using hairspray on the grips or should the glue be ok?

My bike was based in Dublin until June of this year, that may well have been one of them. It came from Sheffield in June 2016. Was there much of a saving importing it yourself? No idea how VRT works with bikes.

At the time yes, it was huge saving. Have it near 4 years now

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll finally get to fit the heated grips this weekend, I'll go with above advice and get a relay.

Would it be worth using hairspray on the grips or should the glue be ok?

Use the glue provided.

however the hairspray trick is great for lubrication when getting them on and then sets in hard afterwards.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

No idea how VRT works with bikes.

Dead easy on motorcycles, as there is none of this random number generator OMSP value nonsense.

€2 per cc up to 350cc + €1 per cc over that less 10% for every year old it is up to 10. Zero for over 30.

New 1098cc bike = 700 + 748 = €1448.

Ten year old to 29 year old = €144.80

Thirty year old = €0

• Advertisement

Fog lights fitted, was suggested i may want to upgrade the bulbs to LED in my own time as the halogen bulbs are a big drain on the battery when turned on. Any suggestions/links to that regard would be appreciated as for the main headlights i was told check out retrofitlab but i'm like a lost soul looking at the site.

s2cqhc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fog lights fitted, was suggested i may want to upgrade the bulbs to LED in my own time as the halogen bulbs are a big drain on the battery when turned on. Any suggestions/links to that regard would be appreciated as for the main headlights i was told check out retrofitlab but i'm like a lost soul looking at the site.

s2cqhc.jpg

Not you again!!!!:D:pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    Not you again!!!!:D:pac:

I’m loved around here really :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I’m loved around here really :pac: :pac: :pac:
    Bike is looking great with you.
    When you have everything possible done to it,you'll get cold turkey and have to buy another bike!:pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    Bike is looking great with you.
    When you have everything possible done to it,you'll get cold turkey and have to buy another bike!:pac:

Thank you :D

It’s becoming an addiction at this stage :pac:

I’d love another bike, trying to fund it is another story :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

DRL-type LEDs would be better than spotlights IMHO but that's based on my usage pattern - urban riding - are those spots good on unlit roads?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

DRL-type LEDs would be better than spotlights IMHO but that's based on my usage pattern - urban riding - are those spots good on unlit roads?

I traveled one unlit road on the way back with them turned on, they (fog lights) could be brighter, the main headlight is poor enough, i got 50% brighter H3's & H4's today cheap (€40 all in) enough so i'll change it over to them and see if it makes any major difference. I was looking at retrofitlab for a proper conversion kit but i don't understand enough what i am looking at to buy the kit, a mate of mine bought them for his 2000 fazer and they are fantastic he said.

Is anyone here familiar with the retrofitlab site?

I was looking at these but my initial reaction was wtf :confused:

https://www.retrofitlab.com/bi-xenon-mini-d2s-30-twin-kit-2.html

Please accept my apologies if i seem like i am asking stupid questions but i actually don't know.

I traveled one unlit road on the way back with them turned on, they (fog lights) could be brighter, the main headlight is poor enough, i got 50% brighter H3's & H4's today cheap (€40 all in) enough so i'll change it over to them and see if it makes any major difference. I was looking at retrofitlab for a proper conversion kit but i don't understand enough what i am looking at to buy the kit, a mate of mine bought them for his 2000 fazer and they are fantastic he said.

Is anyone here familiar with the retrofitlab site?

I was looking at these but my initial reaction was wtf :confused:

https://www.retrofitlab.com/bi-xenon-mini-d2s-30-twin-kit-2.html

Please accept my apologies if i seem like i am asking stupid questions but i actually don't know.

Don't bother with the kit.

Decent H3s and H4s like night breakers are superb. I put them on mine 3 years ago and I drive dark lanes in the evenings.

Don't throw more money away on kits there isn't value in the difference between good bulbs and them.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

One of the bike mags ( Ride) did a comparison on H4 bulbs last month.

LEDs got 0 out if 100. I think the best were Osram, probably night breakers, with Philips a close second.

Mags at home so this is from memory.

• Advertisement

Having a weird issue with my heated grips.

I finally got them wired up yesterday using a relay, they worked fine for te first 10 minutes today and then turned themselves off.

When i try to turn them back on the light just flashes and doesn't come on. If i hold the button down a bit longer they come on for a couple of seconds and then turn off.

I checked the wiring and everything seems to be ok.

Any ideas?

Advertisement