Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

If you're just starting out then I'd recommend starting with good quality tools, starting with any of the Halfords 'Advanced' range (used to be called 'Professional').

The carry a life time warranty, no quibbles. I've been using Halfords range on cars and bikes for years and only broke one ratchet ~ it was entirely my fault, I stripe it changing suspension units on my sons car, it was changed without receipt & no questions asked.

For the 150 piece you'll pay €160 and €210 for the 200 piece socket set. Sounds expensive but it'll pay for itself in savings many, many times over.

The set I have is powerfix, cost €90 in Lidl, was doing the job fine until the other day. The Halfords set looks cheap to me, unless I am looking at the wrong ones altogether, which might well be the case.

Think i'll go back in and have a look at those sets and to buy a power bar as well, that's what they are called is it?

I borrowed one earlier on from one of the neighbours around here that i'm friendly with, it worked.

Crash bars and engine guard are fitted now, will upload pictures later this evening.

Next on that agenda is heated grips and handguards, both the Oxford brand.

I'll be broke by the end of it all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The set I have is powerfix, cost €90 in Lidl, was doing the job fine until the other day. The Halfords set looks cheap to me, unless I am looking at the wrong ones altogether, which might well be the case.

Think i'll go back in and have a look at those sets and to buy a power bar as well, that's what they are called is it?

I borrowed one earlier on from one of the neighbours around here that i'm friendly with, it worked.

Crash bars and engine guard are fitted now, will upload pictures later this evening.

Next on that agenda is heated grips and handguards, both the Oxford brand.

I'll be broke by the end of it all :pac:

Halfords Advanced Sets are the business, They come in different sizes i.e more tools or less but they are all the advanced range. Buy what you can afford.

nice one on the bars, feels good to get a job complete.

Laptop caught a virus when I tried to upload on tinypic so I have to resort to the mobile to upload the photos of the crash bars, they look well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Laptop caught a virus when I tried to upload on tinypic so I have to resort to the mobile to upload the photos of the crash bars, they look well.

You can use tinypic on your mobile as well ;)

New parts look the job.
    How old is the bike?
    Paint flaking a lot for what seems a fairly new bike.

blade1 wrote: »
    You can use tinypic on your mobile as well ;)

New parts look the job.
    How old is the bike?

Really :eek:

She’s a 2011

Can that part be removed or what is it covering?

• Advertisement

Really :eek:

She’s a 2011

I suppose it's 7 years old all the same.
    And they don't paint them like they used to.

Can that part be removed or what is it covering?

It can yeah.
    It's the flywheel cover.
    If you do take it off,watch your fingers or any loose wires when you are putting it back on.
    The magnetic force off the flywheel may be fairly strong.

Same colour as mine . LO model too.

Yeah the paint on the Japanese stuff is shiiiiiite.

Tbh I'd just buy plastic covers for the engine the paint will go bad again. There is lovely covers available to cover the stator cover there. And the water pump other side too

It can yeah.
    It's the flywheel cover.
    If you do take it off,watch your fingers or any loose wires when you are putting it back on.
    The magnetic force off the flywheel may be fairly strong.

Here’s a photo I took of it close up just now.

The bike is a UK import, it was bought by a Meath based Dublin business man in June 2016, the dealer I bought it from bought it from that guy 2 weeks before I got it. That probably explains the paint work.

I intend on keeping the bike indefinitely, I like it that much.

listermint wrote: »
    Same colour as mine . LO model too.

Yeah the paint on the Japanese stuff is shiiiiiite.

Tbh I'd just buy plastic covers for the engine the paint will go bad again. There is lovely covers available to cover the stator cover there. And the water pump other side too

Covers to go over those parts? It looks poor (the paint) I admit.

• Advertisement

In relation to my scooter, that did end up in the repair shop, the reason for it cutting out was the engine was getting too much air.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,485 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those oil cooler pipe unions don't look great. I had one let go on me last year (Triumph) due to corrosion but luckily it was only a pinhole and happened very close to home. Still covered the back tyre in oil though.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Those oil cooler pipe unions don't look great. I had one let go on me last year (Triumph) due to corrosion but luckily it was only a pinhole and happened very close to home. Still covered the back tyre in oil though.

I genuinely haven’t a clue on what looks average or ok, should I change the pipes as well as the flywheel cover?

As always advice is sincerely appreciated.

I’m having no trouble from the bike, just some cosmetic stuff needs improving of course.

A bit of surface rust on the flat areas is only cosmetic but have a good look at creases / folds / welds on those pipes like the arrowed part, this is where you might eventually have trouble.

461255.png

You have to hold the hex head area with a spanner when loosening/tightening the banjo bolt, otherwise you could distort or crack the oil cooler as they're not that strong. That and use new copper washers. Apart from that it's an easy job when doing an oil change.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Covers to go over those parts? It looks poor (the paint) I admit.

Yeah paint isn't ideal

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Suzuki/DL650_V-Strom/2004_to_2012/KEC0043BK/

These

Dunno why the picture disappeared in my previous post, fixed it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Very common on the Vstroms for some reason.

Although mine was spotless just about every other were similar or worse than the pix here.

BMW boxer engines are the same.

I found the paint on the frame welds on the Vstrom pretty thin too.

listermint wrote: »

Might well invest in that, looks good. Would someone like myself be able to fit it or does the old cover have to come off?

A bit of surface rust on the flat areas is only cosmetic but have a good look at creases / folds / welds on those pipes like the arrowed part, this is where you might eventually have trouble.

461255.png

You have to hold the hex head area with a spanner when loosening/tightening the banjo bolt, otherwise you could distort or crack the oil cooler as they're not that strong. That and use new copper washers. Apart from that it's an easy job when doing an oil change.
    New bolt and pipe basically to improve the look?

Very common on the Vstroms for some reason.

Although mine was spotless just about every other were similar or worse than the pix here.

BMW boxer engines are the same.

I found the paint on the frame welds on the Vstrom pretty thin too.

Did you have to clean yours up to make it spotless of did it just come that way? There's 33,000 miles on mine. Only done 300 miles since I bought it but still plan on adding a few more bits to it. I only get out for around 6-8 hours a week on it, it was parked up for about 4 weeks when I first got it due to work etc, so you could really say 300 miles in one month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Did you have to clean yours up to make it spotless of did it just come that way? There's 33,000 miles on mine. Only done 300 miles since I bought it but still plan on adding a few more bits to it. I only get out for around 6-8 hours a week on it, it was parked up for about 4 weeks when I first got it due to work etc, so you could really say 300 miles in one month.

Luckily enough mine was spotless when I bought it, but I've serviced a few for friends and they all had that corrosion on the engine.

Mine had a few small rust spots on the frame at the rider foot pegs and the pillion foot peg hangers, and most other's I've seen had the same.

That aside they're a fantastic bike. Like I said I loved mine and there's not a day I that goes by when I'm reminded how good it was, and how I regret getting rid of it.

I love my BMW R1200GS and have said I'll be replacing it with another, but I'd never rule out another Vstrom ~ in fact I looked at one in Bikeworld only recently, they've a DL1000 over there but I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my BMW.

Enjoy your bike.

Might well invest in that, looks good. Would someone like myself be able to fit it or does the old cover have to come off?

I'm not entirely sure on fitment if original bolts come out and hold them on. But anyone with a socket set could do it. These are covers so they cover the old one not replace

I finally bit the bullet and handed the scooter in to get the decals fitted, will have it back after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Bought this from ALiExpress for €31.25. Plugs into the diagnostics port. Works really well (couple of seconds delay) . Good value!

315e7hf.jpg

Cheap way of getting two extra speeds in the gearbox :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Cheap way of getting two extra speeds in the gearbox :p

Yeah that 8th gear's really suited to motorway riding.;)

In Fairness the phone camera doesn't do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

If I had an extra gear for every time I looked for 7th gear, I'd probably have enough gears to stop looking to change up in top...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If I had an extra gear for every time I looked for 7th gear, I'd probably have enough gears to stop looking to change up in top...

How many false neutrals would that give you though?

Bought a set of V35 cases today for the bike,saved myself a few hundred quid. Thanks to Blade1 for pointing me in their direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

No idea why my pics are uploading sidewards...

Anyhoo, The fins are getting crusty after 17 years which ain't too shabby. I didn't want to go to town on this so a little high-temp black on the top fin to stave off the years a bit. I'm fairly pleased with the result.

463407.JPG

463408.JPG

463409.JPG

Advertisement