Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Having a weird issue with my heated grips.

I finally got them wired up yesterday using a relay, they worked fine for te first 10 minutes today and then turned themselves off.

When i try to turn them back on the light just flashes and doesn't come on. If i hold the button down a bit longer they come on for a couple of seconds and then turn off.

I checked the wiring and everything seems to be ok.

Any ideas?

If they are the Oxford ones, then they might be detecting a low voltage, which prevents them from turning on.
    If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage at the relay.
    If the voltage is ok, they may be faulty. I had a faulty set that were swapped out by Oxford.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

If they are the Oxford ones, then they might be detecting a low voltage, which prevents them from turning on.
    If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage at the relay.
    If the voltage is ok, they may be faulty. I had a faulty set that were swapped out by Oxford.

I'll have to check them with a multimeter its just strange that it worked for a bit.
    The low battery warning light didn't come on the grips so I think they're getting enough power

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

The new Oxford heated grips are designed to connect straight to the battery
    They detect when the battery is not being charged (when bike is not running) then slowly power down
    If connected to a relay they think bike is not running

mamax wrote: »
    The new Oxford heated grips are designed to connect straight to the battery
    They detect when the battery is not being charged (when bike is not running) then slowly power down
    If connected to a relay they think bike is not running

They don't turn on when the bike is off due to the relay. When the bike is on they did work initially work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

listermint wrote: »
    Don't bother with the kit.

Decent H3s and H4s like night breakers are superb. I put them on mine 3 years ago and I drive dark lanes in the evenings.

Don't throw more money away on kits there isn't value in the difference between good bulbs and them.

The brighter bulbs I have are €40 all in. I’m not going to throw too much more into it unless absolutely necessary. Sprockets and chain being fitted tomorrow and I’m done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

They don't turn on when the bike is off due to the relay. When the bike is on they did work initially work

If they are the ones with the intelligent heat controller you must connect directly to the battery as per the fitting instructions
    No relay needed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,646 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mamax wrote: »
    If they are the ones with the intelligent heat controller you must connect directly to the battery as per the fitting instructions
    No relay needed

I have mine on a relay.

They work flawlessly.

The relay is added protection so that battery doesn't ever get run down. I realize the unit has internal low power protection but that functionality actually trickles power too for its purpose

Final post of 2018 for me in this thread.

New bulbs fitted, major difference.

30cq7p4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Upgraded by 30L top box to a 52L top box. Delighted, it'll be so much easier to cart around a few bits now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How many slabs is that? :)

Life ain't always empty.

How many slabs is that? :)

Never enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I detailed and ACF'd my two beemers. Have them looking better than they did leaving the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

D3V!L wrote: »
    I detailed and ACF'd my two beemers. Have them looking better than they did leaving the shop.

Pictures or I won't believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

emo72 wrote: »
    Pictures or I won't believe you.

Tomorrow when they get destroyed by the rain. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Final post of 2018 for me in this thread.

New bulbs fitted, major difference.

30cq7p4.jpg

What did you go for?

zubair wrote: »
    What did you go for?

50% Brighter H3's + H4's and LED parking bulbs, cost me €40 all in and looks the business.

When i parked it next to my mates fazer and the lights were on on both it didn't really look like much of a difference from the retrofitlab kit he fitted.

Saved myself a fortune in the process, i'm pretty broke from it all, but it was worth it :D

Upgraded by 30L top box to a 52L top box. Delighted, it'll be so much easier to cart around a few bits now.

Prick thief scratched this up a bit. Nothing I mind much, but I'd have preferred to be the one to scuff it up!

Prick thief scratched this up a bit. Nothing I mind much, but I'd have preferred to be the one to scuff it up!

You could always get it painted to match the colour of the bike if it's bad?

Just ordered exhaust gaskets, inlet rubbers and idle adjustment for my Sprint hopefully that gets it running better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just ordered exhaust gaskets, inlet rubbers and idle adjustment for my Sprint hopefully that gets it running better

Standard or aftermarket exhaust?

blade1 wrote: »
    Standard or aftermarket exhaust?

Its a standard exhaust I think one of the seals might be gone no harm in replacing the three of them.

The inlet rubbers are cracked so that's definitely not helping

Its a standard exhaust I think one of the seals might be gone no harm in replacing the three of them.

The inlet rubbers are cracked so that's definitely not helping

Should sort it so.
    No harm to update the fuel map either.

blade1 wrote: »
    Should sort it so.
    No harm to update the fuel map either.

its the 93 Sprint 900 so it has carbs

its the 93 Sprint 900 so it has carbs

Ah, I see!;)

This is the end of me posting in this thread with this bike :pac:

9hor2b.jpg

207uya1.jpg

24o0nzm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

This is the end of me posting in this thread with this bike :pac:

finally wised up and bought a Harley eh :D

finally wised up and bought a Harley eh :D

I wise i had pockets that deep :o

I am planning my next purchase once my renewal comes up in July pending my insurance, my existing insurer won't cover me on what i want until i have held my licence for 1+ years so i'll shop around.

The DL is going nowhere though :D

Scotland here i come :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Green thing...?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Green thing...?

That's a battery volt meter to gauge the battery health, it's a traffic light coloured system, green,amber,red, it flashes when the bike is parked up so people might mistake it for an alarm.

At least this way i can now look at the bike and tell if the battery is in trouble rather than being caught off guard.

Had a new battery fitted as well because the one that was in it was the original battery from new and it was fcuked.

Advertisement