Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the healthiest meat and bread to make a sandwich with?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Irlandczyk wrote: »
    Generally, when making an argument about something, you don't say "You want proof? Go find it." Regardless of whether the search engine link contained hundreds of papers or not, if you want to make a point, provide a quote from the article (preferably a few articles) and provide the link - directly to the paper the quote is derived from - below.

In certain other forums yes I would do this as there there would a good knowledgeable discussion but that’s unlikely here. Also it not the norm here to post papers.
    I too have read quite a lot of books and papers on optimal nutrition and few generally point to bread as being the killer in the western diet.

What books and papers? Post them up :pac::pac::pac:
    Meat and Dairy are some of the main contributors of Heart Disease, Stroke, Diabetes, Cancer, Alzheimer's and Obesity.

The outlook on this is changing slowly. The facts have been there for years but it’s not in many peoples interest to promote these facts. The massive increase in Heart Disease, Stroke, Diabetes, Cancer, Alzheimer's and Obesity and be directly linked to the mass production and consumption of wheat & corn.
    Personally, I think the OP was asking a question about the healthiest bread and meat. So I can't really understand why there has been 6 pages of posts which completely avoid the question almost entirely.

That’s the great thing about discussion, goes off on tangents and comes back again, makes life interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

dusf wrote: »
    :-)

Hmmm, I thought whole Turkeys were expensive? I was kind of thinking of getting 7 chicken breasts for the week! If turkey's the healthiest, why alternate?

I've started having smoked salmon a few lunches a week, would I be better with tinned, or even tuna? I have haemochromatosis so need to be careful either don't contain too much iron. I only haves red meat dinner every three or four days etc.

Also, forgive me, but how can a whole turkey be cheaper than a few breasts? I realise you are also getting a dinner from it...

Are they cumbersome to boil? I'm assuming you'd boil them.

Not sure I fancy picking up several whole turkey's a week, but that said if I'm alternating I won't have to.

Those of you opposed to bread, if you were to have a single turkey breast lunch, apart from lettuce, tomato, cucumber and maybe some lettuce, what would you have with it? The thought of the meal thus far leaves me thinking I would still be hungry afterwards without the bread...

A whole bird will be cheaper per kilogram than breast meat. Following from that legs will be cheaper per kilogram than both breast and a whole bird.
    That goes for al poultry, not just turkey.

I suggest you alternate your meats, just like you should alternate vegetables. Have a varied diet. There will be less chance of nutrient defficientie. And ... and it will be less boring.

re hunger without bread. Just eat more veg. Round off your lunch with some fruit, nuts or a small pot of yoghurt.

PS I have also googled free range and organic meats Dublin. There are several addresses in and around the place. If you do same you can see which one is nearest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭runswithascript

A whole bird will be cheaper per kilogram than breast meat. Following from that legs will be cheaper per kilogram than both breast and a whole bird.
    That goes for al poultry, not just turkey.

I suggest you alternate your meats, just like you should alternate vegetables. Have a varied diet. There will be less chance of nutrient defficientie. And ... and it will be less boring.

re hunger without bread. Just eat more veg. Round off your lunch with some fruit, nuts or a small pot of yoghurt.

PS I have also googled free range and organic meats Dublin. There are several addresses in and around the place. If you do same you can see which one is nearest to you.

Good post, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

With meat the best is pasture raised but that's going to be pretty hard to find. Free range is probably the easiest to find. It'll probably be easier to find in butchers, you could always go in and ask them. If your getting chicken keep an eye out for hock burn or bits of cut off skin(where they've removed the hock burn) this is from a chicken who can't stand up properly.

Another thing you can do and you don't need to be buying pricey fillets the whole time is you can buy a whole bird, roast it and pull all the meat off, you get loads with just one chicken, enough for one person for about 5-7 days and that wouldn't be a big bird(not small either)

There's also pork, tuna, herring, trout, mackerel(you can get smoked in lidl that's really nice) salmon, flounder, sole, plaice.

I used to do a lettuce wrap with pulled chicken mixed with a pesto I'd get in the market(smoked tomato) and I'd put in a few other things like pepper. Two or three of these would fill me up. You could also use butter head lettuce it's easier to get leaves but doesn't have the crunch of iceburg, there's also romaine lettuce which has crunch but it's more tough so I prefer it with a hot filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

best. thread. ever

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Smoked mackerel is gorgeous, and very sustainable (far more than farmed salmon - tinned salmon is often wild so is OK).

Mackerel also contains a very special type of omega 3 that helps the brain deal with stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Whale meat,crabmeat,lobster,oysters and many other types of seafood,is the best you can put on a piece of bread.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    best. thread. ever

Surely you mean, best. bread. ever? :pac: :D

So this is an old thread, but perception and the variety of supply have moved on. I personally think anyone who eliminates wheat from their diet, unless they actually are gluten intolerant or ill from it - are nuts... though obviously hip.

I am personally unhip, and not someone who is going to eliminate wheat from my diet, or start wrapping my sandwiches in lettuce leaves, I find it laughable I actually considered this when I first read it in this thread. When I do have pasta it is wholegrain, and I have gone back to McCambridge Wholewheat recently, but I would also like something healthy that makes an easier sandwich, whether that is untoasted, or put in a panini maker.

Yes, you can make a sandwich by using 4 slices of McCambridge as to fit a decent amount of contents inside, but it seems very heavy with that much McCambridge, and I can see McCambridge paninis/toasted sandwiches being very messy.

Of all of the pansized breads available in Irish supermarkets, is there one that is healthier than the rest? The bread does not have to be the standard pan size exactly, as I know there are a variety of shapes out there, it just needs to be of a decent sandwich building size!

At the moment in addition to McCambridge I am making two paninis a day with Tesco/Lidl wholemeal pittas, though the Tesco variety at least do not give a percentage for wholemeal wheat flour, which in McCambridge is 34%.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Are not the Lidl pitas 100% wholemeal?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Are not the Lidl pitas 100% wholemeal?

I actually normally buy the Lidl ones, but happened to pick up some Tesco ones recently instead. For the Tesco ones at least I am attaching a picture of the ingredients and nutritional information:

e84NER3.jpg?1

Rst4ZC1.jpg?1

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I don't normally buy the Tesco ones, but Lidl have been out of them recently.

The M&S ones are good though. 100% wholemeal with olive oil and salt.

Have you ever tried making your own?

I usually use the wholemeal pita with canned sardines on top, pop them under the grill. Add some rocket. Makes for a pretty healthy sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarahsiddons

Theres nothing wring with parma ham , its low fat and depending in quality brand you buy pigs are reared in a very healthy environment and fed extremely well. Unless you are buying free range organic chicken/turkey parma ham is much healthier. Also there us nothing wrong with bread unless you are trying to lose weight or on a low carb diet in fact good carbs are part of a balanced diet. There is a goid choice of breads now in all shops and better still you could make your own. I make the ballymaloe brown wholemeal a few times a week i double the recipe and add a selection of seeds and porridge oats , very easy to make and very filling.

Is that the yeasted one Sarah?

Hummous on rye bread is also a nice option. Top with some salad veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

So a bowl of Weetabix followed by 2 slices of toast is a bit of a no-no for breakfast then right? ;)

Mr Velo wrote: »
    So a bowl of Weetabix followed by 2 slices of toast is a bit of a no-no for breakfast then right? ;)

Anyone for a toast sandwich?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarahsiddons

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is that the yeasted one Sarah?

No its called simply nutritious wholemeal bread im sure if u google that the recipe will come up. I double mixture no kneading amd add few seeds etc.. . Divide mixture into two loaf tins and cook for an hour at 200. Its lovely bread and very filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Always found the issue with homemade bread is portion control!

Aldi 5 Grain Multiseed and Hovis Granary are my favourites. Probably marginally better than a white pan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ella29

in the bread should be 100% of bran, then the body displays it and we do not recover, it is also better to add salad and chicken, you can also have a tomato, but you need to be careful with cheese.

• Advertisement

Ella29 wrote: »
    in the bread should be 100% of bran, then the body displays it and we do not recover, it is also better to add salad and chicken, you can also have a tomato, but you need to be careful with cheese.

?

Advertisement