Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the healthiest meat and bread to make a sandwich with?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I've already eliminated wheat from my diet, just over six months ago.

You are right though, I do have more energy. I had a couple of blips over the festive period, which resulted in fatigue and lethargy. Back on track now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭runswithascript

So can you guys never have an Italian meal with pasta, maybe there's some pasta alternative?

Maybe some of you replace wheat bread with spelt bread, that's not wheat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

I used to get Rye Bread in aldi (they havent had it stock now withba while) I assumed it was healthier than regular bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

I eat spelt bread find it delicious and is wheat free. I know still carbs but high in fibre and easier to digest than normal breads made from wheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

elsy wrote: »
    I eat spelt bread find it delicious and is wheat free. I know still carbs but high in fibre and easier to digest than normal breads made from wheat.

Incorrect as spelt is a form of wheat. It does, however, have less gluten than wheat. If I have an occasional foray into grains I buy buckwheat bread which is gluten-free and tastes quite nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭runswithascript

What about beer, do none of you enjoy a bottle of beer?

Being more healthy from not eating wheat, if that it would truly make me so, would be great, but it's hard to stomach never eating a sandwich again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Urgh, food fascism.

It's so awful when someone asks for advice and gets snarky responses. There is no need for it.

All things in moderation, OP. Choose the bread you like the best and have a little of it now and then. Maybe alternate between sambo one day and salad the next? I love toast in the mornings, so I make rubadub's oat pancakes and toast them with a little butter and I enjoy that just as much. :)

If you are concerned about calorie content, then choose a low calorie option, or make the bread fit into your calorie allowance.

If you are concerned about its effect on your blood sugar, use a bread that is high in nuts and seeds and eat it with good proteins and fats.

If you are concerned about preservatives, consider making it yourself. You can use a mix of wheat flour, oat flour and brown rice flour and lots of seeds and experiment with making nice little flatbreads etc.

I love bread and believe life is too short worshipping the god of health, sacrificing the god of good times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Urgh, food fascism.

I love bread and believe life is too short worshipping the god of health, sacrificing the god of good times. :)

Wow, never equated bread with good times before

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

I have 2 slices of 9 grain bread everyday. As long as you fit it into your macros, i see no problem.

It has certainly done me no harm.

"Would you considering making a 'wrap' using lettuce leaves to replace the bread?" lol This most stupid thing I have ever heard.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Perhaps not, but I am also completely flabbergasted at the nitpicking that has been done with a lot of posts.

If I were a vegetarian and came on this thread to say that the OP shouldn't eat meat, because it's unhealthy (which has also been 'proven' through science or pseudo science) how much grieve would I get I wonder.

The OP is young and if he/she wants to follow a more conventional 'diet', but wants to make choices between average and more healthy options, they should not be scared off for eating bread., IMO.

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Case in point re: snarkiness. Totally unnecessary.

It was clearly a joke. The smiley face was a hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Urgh, food fascism.

It's so awful when someone asks for advice and gets snarky responses. There is no need for it.

All things in moderation, OP.

Woo!, cigars, cocaine, opium, arsnic, sadism/masochism, cannibalism all in moderation! WOO! :pac:

It's not really food fascism, eat it if you want to but don't fool yourself into thinking that any bread is healthy have a look here about the wheat belly thing, there's more to it than carbs, it's things like gliadin and gluten causing problems with your health.

Wow. You really have to tread on eggshells in this forum.

All foods in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Homemade wholegrain bread with lamb. Lamb is the only common meat not factory farmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Wow. You really have to tread on eggshells in this forum.

All foods in moderation.

It was clearly a joke. The laughing face was a hint.
    mitosis wrote: »
    Homemade wholegrain bread with lamb. Lamb is the only common meat not factory farmed.

Beef isn't factory farmed too. Both are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Liam90 wrote: »
    I have 2 slices of 9 grain bread everyday. As long as you fit it into your macros, i see no problem.

It has certainly done me no harm.

"Would you considering making a 'wrap' using lettuce leaves to replace the bread?" lol This most stupid thing I have ever heard.

Did I say what you said was stupid? No? I'd appreciate if you didn't call my suggestions stupid.

I know a lot of people do this.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/five_spice_turkey_lettuce_wraps.html
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chicken-Lettuce-Wraps

Don't knock it till you try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Would anyone care to explain why exactly bread is considered to be so horrifically bad for you?

Personally I can't see why I should benefit from giving it up. I workout 5 days per week; I run at a fast pace for 30 mins 5 days per week and I am exceptionally lean and toned. I usually have a sandwich with a black coffee before going working out. Chicken, lettuce, mixed veg and two slices of nutty grainy bread. I find it to be a very useful and easy carb source. It fuels my runs/weights routine and I only feel that I benefit. Beyond that my diet often consists of a good bit of salad/veg + lean chicken, the odd egg and I'm quite partial to quest protein bars. I feel healthy; I look healthy. I don't believe 2 slices of bread fit into your calorie allowance/macros will be the travesty people seem to claim.

I think it's much more important to ensure you have a balanced diet with good sources of protein etc and, most importantly, know how many calories are going in/out.

Would anyone care to explain why exactly bread is considered to be so horrifically bad for you?

Personally I can't see why I should benefit from giving it up. I workout 5 days per week; I run at a fast pace for 30 mins 5 days per week and I am exceptionally lean and toned. I usually have a sandwich with a black coffee before going working out. Chicken, lettuce, mixed veg and two slices of nutty grainy bread. I find it to be a very useful and easy carb source. It fuels my runs/weights routine and I only feel that I benefit. Beyond that my diet often consists of a good bit of salad/veg + lean chicken, the odd egg and I'm quite partial to quest protein bars. I feel healthy; I look healthy. I don't believe 2 slices of bread fit into your calorie allowance/macros will be the travesty people seem to claim.

I think it's much more important to ensure you have a balanced diet with good sources of protein etc and, most importantly, know how many calories are going in/out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I think one of the biggest problems with bread is that people rely on it to heavily.

You'll often see threads here "what can I replace my sandwich with", and "what else can I have for lunch".

I know loads of people who have bread in some way, shape or form in every meal, every day.

I'd recommend that everyone try going wheat free for 2 weeks and if you don't feel healthier/less bloated/fantastic then reintroduce it and if it fits in with your macros then happy days.

I've yet to come across a person who has given it up and not noticed any positive changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

vard wrote: »

It's not bad for you, all this talk about bread being unhealthy is rubbish. 9 grain bread is a staple in my diet and i'm in the best shape of my life.

Obviously you have to choose the right kind of bread, my favorite is 9 grain which also has no sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Liam90 wrote: »
    It's not bad for you, all this talk about bread being unhealthy is rubbish. 9 grain bread is a staple in my diet and i'm in the best shape of my life.

Obviously you have to choose the right kind of bread, my favorite is 9 grain which also has no sugar.

When people say they eat sandwiches to me I think of that shítty white bread with a sliver of ham in it or the obese girl who sat down with a pan of white bread and tub of chocolate spread, then ate slice after slice of the bread.

I think one of the biggest problems with bread is that people rely on it to heavily.

You'll often see threads here "what can I replace my sandwich with", and "what else can I have for lunch".

I know loads of people who have bread in some way, shape or form in every meal, every day.

I'd recommend that everyone try going wheat free for 2 weeks and if you don't feel healthier/less bloated/fantastic then reintroduce it and if it fits in with your macros then happy days.

I've yet to come across a person who has given it up and not noticed any positive changes.

But that doesn't explain what's bad about bread.

Of course eating the same thing and relying on it to excess is bad. That goes for any food.

I have often gone wheat free and have found my cardio training becomes more difficult as a result since I can't find a comparably convenient carb source.

If someone could provide factual evidence which details why it's bad I'd happily give it up. I don't mean to be rude, but "you'll feel better" doesn't sway my opinion. As it is I have an extremely active lifestyle coupled with what I consider to be a balanced and varied diet. I have a very lean and muscular physique and I feel fitter and healthier than ever before. What benefit would I gain by ditching the two slices of bread I have before training?

When people say they eat sandwiches to me I think of that shítty white bread with a sliver of ham in it or the obese girl who sat down with a pan of white bread and tub of chocolate spread, then ate slice after slice of the bread.

Even some thin people are known to eat copious amounts of white pan bread. :rolleyes:

And next time you'll hear me saying that I had a sandwich, don't think it's ****ty white bread as it'll be a sandwich made from homemade wholegrain bread, which I have been eating my whole life.

Even some thin people are known to eat copious amounts of white pan bread. :rolleyes:

And next time you'll hear me saying that I had a sandwich, don't think it's ****ty white bread as it'll be a sandwich made from homemade wholegrain bread, which I have been eating my whole life.

bluepeter.jpg

A blue peter badge?

This is an aggressive forum with a lot of bad attitude. Disappointing.

A blue peter badge?

It really isn't.

A blue peter badge?

I agree with this.

So I'm out !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Jesus. The man just asked for advice on what options he had for bread for his sandwich.

The hand-wringing holy than thou attitude from some people here is incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jesus. The man just asked for advice on what options he had for bread for his sandwich.

The hand-wringing holy than thou attitude from some people here is incredible.

In fairness, I don't think he would have got those replies if he'd left it at "what's the healthiest filling".
    He went on at length about finding a healthy bread and how he stopped using wraps because of preservatives. It's natural enough then to point out if he wants healthy, bread may not be the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

if it works for you then great. Keep it up and best of luck to you.

I am coming from the perspective of dealing with hundreds of people who use food logs which i must look through NOT just a single individual example and have seen the elimination of wheat in ones diet as positive in helping people not just drop weight but also in improving energy levels, elimination of eczema, less colds and congestion (dairy a big factor here also) throughout the year, no neural pain in hands and legs, no bloating or instestinal issues.

Some people can still have wheat daily and still look and perfom great however its not what i typically see.

best of luck and i find clients 'function' quite well on rice cakes and possibly oat cakes when looking for a direct wheat substitute. This does not mean that they start consuming body weight amounts of these daily and are still monitoring their g/day of carbs (usually this last about 2 weeks, they then know their numbers inside out and dont have to log or resord their food as often).

Advertisement