Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the healthiest meat and bread to make a sandwich with?

Options
  • 10-01-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of a bread dilemma, perhaps more accurately a sandwich dilemma.

A few years ago I tried McCambridge's stoneground bread which I understand to be the healthiest bread on the Irish market - correct me if I am wrong - but I soon got bored of it and have been trying many other types of bread since.

My favourite tasting bread would be white bread, mainly a large white bread loaf baked the same day in the likes of SuperValu, that and sesame seed bagels, and I am about to have a sesame seed ciabatta, but I know all white bread is bad for you.

I also tried wraps, which were great because when you make a wrap it's mainly filling so you're not filling up too much bread and I got to try sandwiches with things unusual for me like peppers and sweetcorn. I have since read online about all the bad preservatives in wraps, which makes sense considering how long you can keep them in your kitchen press. So although they are low fat etc, the preservatives are very bad.

I am back to college next week and looking for something tasty and healthy I can make sandwiches with, please recommend.

Also, what is the healthiest meat to put in my sandwiches? For a time I was boiling a ham each week and using that because I thought it would be healthier than store bought ham but I am currently using parma ham because it seems very light.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

The healthiest sandwich is the one made out of no bread.

Would you considering making a 'wrap' using lettuce leaves to replace the bread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Turkey?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

The 'healthiest' meat would be meat from animals that had a good and happy life. Plus the less it has been processed the better it would be.
    I would say no to parma ham and yes to poached turkey/chicken.

And if you have to eat bread the same applies - the less processed the 'healthier' it will be. White bread, no. Wholegrain - homemade preferably, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

The 'healthiest' meat would be meat from animals that had a good and happy life. Plus the less it has been processed the better it would be.

And if you have to eat bread the same applies - the less processed the 'healthier' it will be. White bread, no. Wholegrain - homemade preferably, yes.
    the fact that something is wholegrain makes no difference what so ever - bread is bread.

what SB said

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The 'healthiest' meat would be meat from animals that had a good and happy life

Is this an actual fact or it just something that people say to make others feel guilty?

A mate of my from work raises turkeys and I got one from him for Christmas, it was without a doubt the nicest bird I've ever eaten. My whole family couldnt believe the difference in taste (and Im guessing quality too) when compared to previous turkey's so the idea that the meat is better does ring through for me.

• Advertisement

dusf wrote: »
    A few years ago I tried McCambridge's stoneground bread which I understand to be the healthiest bread on the Irish market - correct me if I am wrong - but I soon got bored of it and have been trying many other types of bread since.

Have you tried maybe varying what you put on the bread as opposed to just changing breads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I wouldn't be a fan of McCambridge's - bit tasteless imo. Try Rankins Brown Soda bread or Wheaten Bread. The best store bought wheaten/brown bread/soda bread types out there imo.

ahem wheatbelly

Transform wrote: »
    the fact that something is wholegrain makes no difference what so ever - bread is bread.

what SB said

It makes no difference ? Depends on the question the op asked.
    If you desperately need to eat bread, I'd assume there would be more nutrients and fibers in wholegrain than in white bread.
    Is this an actual fact or it just something that people say to make others feel guilty?

A mate of my from work raises turkeys and I got one from him for Christmas, it was without a doubt the nicest bird I've ever eaten. My whole family couldnt believe the difference in taste (and Im guessing quality too) when compared to previous turkey's so the idea that the meat is better does ring through for me.

You are talking about 'taste', I was talking about the 'healthy' option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭runswithascript

The healthiest sandwich is the one made out of no bread.
    ahem wheatbelly
    If you desperately need to eat bread, I'd assume there would be more nutrients and fibers in wholegrain than in white bread.

Desperately need to eat bread? Really?

Can all bread truly be bad for us, even McCambridge wholegrain stoneground which as far as I know uses the good kind of wheat and flour etc? Perhaps it is just that you guys are on a carb free diet?
    Would you considering making a 'wrap' using lettuce leaves to replace the bread?

I would consider it, but I can see that becoming very messy and tedious not containing the contents and only being able to use the largest of leaves and as such having to buy lettuce every day.
    smcgiff wrote: »
    Turkey?

I am hearing a lot of good about turkey lately, not least because Christmas has just passed us. Where can I buy free range Turkey breasts? Do you know if I can get them in Dunnes or Aldi? I cannot see myself boiling a huge Turkey each week...

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has me eating entirely free range chicken and eggs the last few months for the health benefits. Something like 10 times the omega 3 in free range eggs etc.

If you are talking about free range it is definitely much much better for you and much much tastier. I hate when I end up eating non free range because I know I am missing out so much.
    Have you tried maybe varying what you put on the bread as opposed to just changing breads?

Yes, but since bread is something I have every day I am mainly focussing on that. That said I have asked what people would recommend as healthy in sandwiches too. Today I had smoked salmon, like I have said right now it's mainly parma but I used to eat a lot of home boiled (sometimes also roasted) ham. What would you recommend?
    Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of McCambridge's - bit tasteless imo. Try Rankins Brown Soda bread or Wheaten Bread. The best store bought wheaten/brown bread/soda bread types out there imo.

Yes, McBridges can become a bit tasteless after you have had it for awhile but I think the secret might be to make sure your sandwich is lush with tomatoes and some mustard and maybe mayo, and to also make sure there is a lot of filling ovreall compared to the bread.

When you say best do you mean taste or healthwise? If the latter have you compared the ingredients and researched this etc?

Just reading somewhere else the ingredients of McCambirdge: 'Fresh Buttermilk, Wholemeal Flour, Wheatflour, Bicarbonate of Soda, Salt, Wheatgerm' - I think it's the wholemeal flour that makes it wholegrain? Are those complex carbohydrates not good for us?

Would something without any Wheatflour be better for us?

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming the big shop's coming up :D

• Advertisement

You are talking about 'taste', I was talking about the 'healthy' option.

That's what I thought I asked in the first part of my post. Is it proven that its healthier option??

I'd hazard a guess and say it is healthier but I'm wondering is there any science to back it up?

That's what I thought I asked in the first part of my post. Is it proven that its healthier option??

I'd hazard a guess and say it is healthier but I'm wondering is there any science to back it up?

Well do not animals free and happy equal free range animals? It should not be hard to find science backing up the health benefits from free range produce.

Well do not animals free and happy equal free range animals? It should not be hard to find science backing up the health benefits from free range produce.

That is indeed what I meant.
    One would hope that they also have been fed on natural feed and not been medicated with antibiotics and growing hormones.
    It would also translate to what the flavour of the meat is like, but taste is very subjective.

I am currently on a low carb diet for health reasons, but I don't see why you, OP, as a young healthy person should not be eating bread. Eat a wide selection of foods (plenty of variety) of all the food groups and you should be fine.
    If you like eating parma ham, then do so, but I suggest you don't eat the same thing every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

[

Yes, McBridges can become a bit tasteless after you have had it for awhile but I think the secret might be to make sure your sandwich is lush with tomatoes and some mustard and maybe mayo, and to also make sure there is a lot of filling ovreall compared to the bread.

When you say best do you mean taste or healthwise? If the latter have you compared the ingredients and researched this etc?

Just reading somewhere else the ingredients of McCambirdge: 'Fresh Buttermilk, Wholemeal Flour, Wheatflour, Bicarbonate of Soda, Salt, Wheatgerm' - I think it's the wholemeal flour that makes it wholegrain? Are those complex carbohydrates not good for us?

Taste (closest to my mother's, still a distance away, but, closer!!)

Ingredients are: Buttermilk 46%, Wholemeal Flour, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Oat Flakes, Potassium Carbonate (raising agent), Salt, Emulsifiers, Preservatives, Flavouring and Colouring (beta carotene).
    100g contains: 204 Calories, Protein: 9.4g, Carbs 40.3g (sugars 5.8g), Fat 3.2g, Fibre 5.8g, Sodium .48g

Guess looking at that, we can see why it's so much tastier than McCambridges's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

ahem wheatbelly

if your any way interested in your health, wheatbelly is a must read.

Desperately need to eat bread? Really?

Can all bread truly be bad for us, even McCambridge wholegrain stoneground which as far as I know uses the good kind of wheat and flour etc? Perhaps it is just that you guys are on a carb free diet?

I'm not on a carb free diet. But yes all bread is pretty much the same.

As other have said, read wheatbelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Make your own soda bread. Its pretty much the easiest bread to make and should take 30 mins max between you starting to bake and sitting down at the table with some scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

That is indeed what I meant.
    One would hope that they also have been fed on natural feed and not been medicated with antibiotics and growing hormones.
    It would also translate to what the flavour of the meat is like, but taste is very subjective.

There is no difference in the nutritional value of conventional and organic food is what science reports. Ireland has a very highly regulated agri sector, so food quality is amongst the best in the world so buy irish is my advice. Growth hormone is illegal, but if you want the animals you eat to have had a happy life then they need there medicine when their sick.

There is no difference in the nutritional value of conventional and organic food is what science reports. Ireland has a very highly regulated agri sector, so food quality is amongst the best in the world so buy irish is my advice. Growth hormone is illegal, but if you want the animals you eat to have had a happy life then they need there medicine when their sick.

It is important here that people do not get confused between organic food and free range food, not that I am saying you are feelgoodinc27.

Much free range food is organic, but not all.

I am surprised so few people are not defending bread. I do not have a weight problem so perhaps I need not be as strict as other people who feel the need to go on a carb free diet, not that anyone recommending thus has one but I think it a fair speculation.

Also, honestly, on my initial inspection of wheatbelly it seems like another one of these fad diets that come and go year in year out - has enough research been done over enough time to prove cutting out carbs is not unhealthy in the long run?

I am surprised so few people are not defending bread. I do not have a weight problem so perhaps I need not be as strict as other people who feel the need to go on a carb free diet, not that anyone recommending thus has one but I think it a fair speculation.

I don't think anyone here is on a carb free diet. :confused:

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone here is on a carb free diet. :confused:

Carb free or low carb?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It is important here that people do not get confused between organic food and free range food, not that I am saying you are feelgoodinc27.

Much free range food is organic, but not all.

Also, honestly, on my initial inspection of wheatbelly it seems like another one of these fad diets that come and go year in year out - has enough research been done over enough time to prove cutting out carbs is not unhealthy in the long run?

You were already told she's not on a carb free diet.
    Nobody is talking about cutting carbs. Bread is not all carbs. You might as well give out about "carb free diets" when being told chocolate isn't good for you.

bluewolf wrote: »
    You were already told she's not on a carb free diet.

Who is she? Do you mean the previous poster? Please be more specific.

If you do mean the previous poster, yes she did reply advising she was not on a carb free diet to which I replied asking she or others denouncing bread were perhaps on low carb diets.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Nobody is talking about cutting carbs. Bread is not all carbs. You might as well give out about "carb free diets" when being told chocolate isn't good for you.

No, it's not all carbs, but it's a lot of carbs, and it would make perfect sense for someone on a carb free or low carb diet to cut bread out.

I found this interesting article on Wheatbelly, on the Healthy Low Carb Living website no less. http://healthylowcarbliving.com/low-carb/wheat-belly/

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve talking about diets, that was not my intention, but have you anything constructive to add relative to the topic of this thread?

I don't think I said there was a difference in nutritional value between conventional, free range or organic meat. :confused:
    I am not familiar with animal feed in Ireland, but it is a well known fact in the rest of Europe animal feed is medicated with antibiotics (even when the animals are not sick)

In that case I stand by my pov that meat from animals that have been fed this by default would not be as healthy (nutritional value aside)

As an example. You have two apples. One that has been treated with pesticides, the other is an organic one.
    Their nutritional value is the same, but the one with pesticide might not be so good for your health.
    I thought that would be obvious.

I don't think I said there was a difference in nutritional value between conventional, free range or organic meat. :confused:

And I am not saying you did. I did say free range is better than conventional.
    As an example. You have two apples. One that has been treated with pesticides, the other is an organic one.
    Their nutritional value is the same, but the one with pesticide might not be so good for your health.
    I thought that would be obvious.

That does make a lot of sense, that said I heard a nutritionist on Matt Cooper last week saying there has been no proven benefit to health from organic food.

And I am not saying you did. I did say free range is better than conventional.

That does make a lot of sense, that said I heard a nutritionist on Matt Cooper last week saying there has been no proven benefit to health from organic food.

:D I was replying to another poster.;)

:D I was replying to another poster.;)
    more anti nutrients in your 'healthy' wholegrain bread than there are in white bread

If you want to eat bread then pick one you like and feckin eat it but its a mistake to think in any way that any of them are 'healthy'

Stressing about certain foods can be more of an issue than the foods themselves.

Finally, i have yet to work with a single client that got into the shape and have the energy they want (lots of clients can be slim but tired all the time) while still consuming bread in any significant quantity.

more anti nutrients in your 'healthy' wholegrain bread than there are in white bread

:confused:

And what do your clients substitute bread with?

:confused:

And what do your clients substitute bread with?

Healthy food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Have you read it?

Might be marketed as diet book but it’s not, it just educates people as to how wheat has changed over the last 150 or so years and the consequence these changes now have on our health.

I know of several people of have reversed health issues by eliminating wheat and they are gluten tolerant when tested.

If anyone has any doubts why not eliminate wheat for a week or two and see how you get on. What have you got loose only a belly :)

Advertisement