Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvantCard - MBNA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

lpw wrote: »
    So has anyone heard an ETA on when statements & recent transactions will be available? I can't recall the exact date of the switch over (Mar 16?) - but we are now at approximately +5 weeks late.

They still don't know themselves, they told me they have the Spanish engineers over................. it's quite pathetic

I've written to them to complain and tell them that I will not be held liable for any unauthorised transactions where I cannot tell them.

I suggest everyone does the same.

Have they a twitter ac anyone know?

Avant/MBNA have their recent transactions up and running as of this morning, All my transactions are correct, payment I made on line to my old mbna details were received and balance is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 lpw

Mother of god you're right!

Past statements hopefully on the way very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SteM

Avant/MBNA have their recent transactions up and running as of this morning, All my transactions are correct, payment I made on line to my old mbna details were received and balance is correct.

Just noticed that the 'Pending transactions' bit is better than it was. Before it used to just give the total amount. Now it gives the amount broken down by transaction with a transaction description beside. it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Tow

It only shows the last 8 transactions, which is not much good.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SteM

Tow wrote: »
    It only shows the last 8 transactions, which is not much good.

Showing 9 for me. Maybe it's just set to display the transactions since the last statement?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well that is something :) I like the description aspect in the pending transactions for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Does anyone know if there is an App for Avantcard? Had a check on Google Play but nothing there.

Since they took over I have been trying to check my balance on my phone (which is were i usually did all my MBNA banking) on the web browser and it just wont connect to their home page, let alone let me check my balance.

Anyone any ideas on this?

They've barely got their website working. I think you might need to manage your expectations regarding an app coming out any time soon ;)

That said, I do miss the old MBNA mobile site, which was convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Ah yeah, no rush, it was super handy with MBNA, god I miss them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 born 2 shop

Having just phoned their 071 number, I managed to speak to someone regarding extra charges on my account when I made any sterling transactions. Turns out there is a 2.65% handling charge on each transaction that is now shown separately when you use a different currency. When I queried this, I was told it was always included in the conversion before but is now been shown broken down with avantcard. She had to put me on hold twice to check this out and didn't seem totally sure herself. Does anyone else know if this was always the case?

Also told that previous statements will be able to view by end of the week. Won't hold my breath if past history has been anything to go by.

Yup, has always been the case AFAIK and is with most credit cards I've encountered.

I know when I rang MBNA before to inform them of travels I got the spiel about it each time. I travel a lot: I knew it by heart pretty quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Yay! so glad the transactions are online now. I also got my latest statement today too so can confirm that the online transactions are those that have ocurred since your last statement was sent.

I'm reluctant to sign up to e-statements at the moment as I don't trust their systems yet but it took them 2 weeks from the statement date to get it to me. If the online transactions only show transactions from your last statement date that two week wait is going to be annoying as I won't know what the previous transactions are until the statement arrives. Not sure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

Avant/MBNA have their recent transactions up and running as of this morning
    No recent transactions for my account yet. "Coming soon..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Having just phoned their 071 number, I managed to speak to someone regarding extra charges on my account when I made any sterling transactions. Turns out there is a 2.65% handling charge on each transaction that is now shown separately when you use a different currency. When I queried this, I was told it was always included in the conversion before but is now been shown broken down with avantcard. She had to put me on hold twice to check this out and didn't seem totally sure herself. Does anyone else know if this was always the case?

Always applied but was 1.75% iirc. Dont remember seeing anything about an increase

It's been 2.whatever for quite a while from what I recall. I know AIB's is pretty similar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It's been 2.whatever for quite a while from what I recall. I know AIB's is pretty similar.

Aib are 1.75 EU and 2.75 outside. MBNA was definitely 1.75 just wondering when it changed....
    Schedule of Fees and Charges [Avantcard]

Late fee - €15.24 - each time your minimum payment has not reached your account in cleared funds by the date that payment is due. At least your minimum payment must be cleared onto your account before this date to remain in compliance with your AvantCard agreement.
    Accounts with payments received after the due date shown on your statement are subject to late fees.

Over limit fee - €12.70 - if you are over your credit limit at the end of any statement period which is the period starting on the day after your last statement date and ending on your next statement date. The statement period for your first statement starts on the date your account is opened.

Returned Payment fee - €19.05 - each time we return a cheque unpaid, and each time a direct debit, a cheque or other item for payment into your account is unpaid.

Cash Handling Fee - 1.5% minimum €2.50, no maximum - the charge that is applied to your account when you make a cash transaction. A cash transaction is any transaction through which you receive cash or cash substitute by using your card or card number. Examples would be when you withdraw cash from an ATM or bank, when you purchase foreign currency, or when you make gambling transactions.

Foreign Exchange Commission - 2.65%
    of the value of each foreign exchange transaction - If you make a transaction in a currency other than euro, the amount will be changed into euro using an exchange rate based on the reference exchange rate which is the exchange rate set by Mastercard or Visa, each of which are available from the websites:

www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx

www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/currencyconversion/index.html

Yeah, I'm taking about non-Euro transactions :)

Euro transactions have no charge (as opposed to EU, as obviously, not all countries use the Euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

These crowd have the worst customer service I have ever encountered ! They rang me about 5 weeks ago and told me my card had been compromised and that they were cancelling it and would reissue a new one within 5 days. 5 Weeks later and several contacts and still no card. Last time I contacted them they said there was a delay in issuing new cards . Wait for it , today I got a bill for late payment. My payment is on direct debit . Apparently through a fault on there system they failed to collect. GRRRRRRR !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

God help the Spanish economy if this is the kind of outfit they offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Reported card lost Monday 8th April, I have yet to receive a replacement card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Avant. Ajoke more like ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

sassyj wrote: »
    Reported card lost Monday 8th April, I have yet to receive a replacement card

I reported mine lost on the 28th of march and I've yet to get mine. They still cant give me a date either. What a shambles!! Is "Finance Charge" on the statement basically the interest charge??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The site is processing transactions well.

I can see the last five transactions added to my account and details of another 3 pending.

So far no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

I see that the number of complaints have dropped dramatically.
    Is this due to things being sorted or have the disaffected pulled sticks?
    A continuing bugbear for me is getting "You have exceeded the maximum number of attempts. For security reasons your username has been disabled. Please call our customer service number 0818 409 511 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturday 8am to 2pm and we will be able to help you further" when i try to login.
    The odd thing is that I completed the initial registration smoothly and wondered what people were complaining.I also think I'm at this game long enough to note if I am coming up to Max attempts
    I've enriched eircom in trying to sort it out, Apparently nothing is flagged in Carrick, but it appears on login for me every time.
    I have even been rung by a guru, who at the end was as mystified as the girl manning the phone.
    I can get into it by the "forgotten" details route, but a total pain and I wonder about security as well.
    If anybody has had this problem and dealt with it, I'd be delighted to hear.
    I've decided never to ring that 0818 no. again unless I have the solution to hand
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Snap1

Anyone else experiencing problems with the Avant website?
    Registered OK with them a few weeks ago and have been using it fine up till now. When I press "continue" (green box) to log in the page just keeps refreshing and loading and will not bring me to the Log in details part!

Was like this yesterday too - so frustrating!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Snap1 wrote: »
    Anyone else experiencing problems with the Avant website?
    Registered OK with them a few weeks ago and have been using it fine up till now. When I press "continue" (green box) to log in the page just keeps refreshing and loading and will not bring me to the Log in details part!

Was like this yesterday too - so frustrating!!! :confused:

Have you cleared your browser cache?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Snap1

Hi,
    Yep tried that and still the same? Is it working OK for you? Possibly something with my laptop then? Hmmm no other problems with other websites etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I just checked there and logged in ok. Maybe try a different browser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Snap1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yep tried that and still the same? Is it working OK for you? Possibly something with my laptop then? Hmmm no other problems with other websites etc..

The IT people were pretty well saying that all their stuff is based on using IE and presumably a MS operating system.
    I run Safari on a Mac, but trying to access the website using IE on a Windows laptop resulted with the same thing. Using other browsers, same thing.
    I would suggest that you don't do anything drastic with your laptop on the basis of this difficulty!
    I reckon there are a few glitches to be sorted back at base,
    I have decided to avoid using the card until it's sorted.
    It's probably the only thing that they might notice, though I suspect that many might not have that option.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement