Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Daily Achievement Thread...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

-Weekend with Christian Thibaudeau at the best seminar I've ever been too (he's a cool motherf*cker as well)

-Press 80kg x4 (that's one of my best presses ever)

-Sarah squatted 130kg (seriously!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Hanley wrote: »
    -Weekend with Christian Thibaudeau at the best seminar I've ever been too (he's a cool motherf*cker as well)

-Press 80kg x4 (that's one of my best presses ever)

-Sarah squatted 130kg (seriously!!)

Unreal. She squats more than most lads I know.

Unreal. She squats more than most lads I know.

Lol. Man me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Front squat PR: 120kg at 70kg bodyweight. Previous max was 110kg at 81.5kg about a year and a half ago. Not the prettiest squat in the world but still. Happy with that!

Not training in Raw anymore?

Some nice PRs today.

175kg front squat (+5kg PR)

202.5kg x10 deadlift (+2.5kg 10RM PR)

175k Front Squat

202.5k x10 DL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Not training in Raw anymore?

I think I still have a membership in RAW until sometime next month but Flyefit is a 3 minute walk from my house and my missus trains there too so it's just much handier. Plus, COH is at RAW much less often these days and half the appeal of the place was seeing that pissed off look on his face when I asked him for another spot. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Ran 10km for the first time ever. Took 1:09:58 so won't be breaking any records any time soon.

I'm hoping running has some sort of Wilks-equivalent except you get more points the heavier you are. I weighed in at 127.5kg this morning so that has to count for something! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ran 10km for the first time ever. Took 1:09:58 so won't be breaking any records any time soon.

I'm hoping running has some sort of Wilks-equivalent except you get more points the heavier you are. I weighed in at 127.5kg this morning so that has to count for something! ;-)

Good work, man.

Now you've a record to go break :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Don't take this the wrong way...but I know lads a fraction of your weight who run a lot and in the Limerick 10km run last week they ran just under an hour...they are 10 minutes faster, 30kg lighter(easier with regards to running, i've been told) and they've run 10kms a good few times...So from where i'm sitting, that time is really fcuking good

Now, just out of curiousity (and you can tell me to feck off and mind my own business, of course), 127kg is approx 20stone.. would that happen to be an out of shape obese body, or an overworked herculean bodybuilder body?

I ask because, I currently weigh in at 18stone (all fat and no muscle, unfortunately), and running 2km in a row (without stopping) is beyond my grasp at the moment. So I find it amazing that, not only are you running 10k in one go, you're also doing it at a fairly amazing time.

What I'd love to know is how long it took you to reach that level (have you been running for days, weeks, months or years?) and how did you start out?

Sorry for wrecking your head, and apologies if im dragging this off topic, but having recently had some calf pain myself, I'm very curious with regards to any hurdles you may have faced or any advice I could possibly steal from you?

That's an amazing achievement (and regardless of whether you're built like Yokozuna, Brock Lesnar, or anywhere in between, to be able to carry 20 stone 10km in 70 minutes is shockingly good work! :eek: ). My hat is in the air for you!

• Advertisement

Don't take this the wrong way...but I know lads a fraction of your weight who run a lot and in the Limerick 10km run last week they ran just under an hour...they are 10 minutes faster, 30kg lighter(easier with regards to running, i've been told) and they've run 10kms a good few times...So from where i'm sitting, that time is really fcuking good

Not taken the wrong way at all. Always going to be a bit slower and running isn't my main focus anyway so not too worried about it.
    Now, just out of curiousity (and you can tell me to feck off and mind my own business, of course), 127kg is approx 20stone.. would that happen to be an out of shape obese body, or an overworked herculean bodybuilder body?

Hah, much closer to "out of shape obese" than "overworked herculean bodybuilder"!

I haven't had my body-fat percentage measured in a while but I was 33% @ 133kg in early 2013 (DEXA). That's a lean mass of around 89kg. I've probably added ~4kg of lean mass since then so let's say my lean mass is now ~93kg @ 127.5kg for a body-fat percentage of ~27%.
    I ask because, I currently weigh in at 18stone (all fat and no muscle, unfortunately), and running 2km in a row (without stopping) is beyond my grasp at the moment. So I find it amazing that, not only are you running 10k in one go, you're also doing it at a fairly amazing time.

I started out at 160kg and honestly probably close to 50% body-fat at the beginning of 2012 and I was ruined by my first session of training which was something like 4 sets of 8 trap-bar deadlifts and 4 sets of 10 push-ups / inverted rows (with bands).
    What I'd love to know is how long it took you to reach that level (have you been running for days, weeks, months or years?) and how did you start out?

I've been training consistently since January 2012 but almost all of my focus has been on strength work (powerlifting) and some conditioning work (to aid fat loss). Running is very, very new to me. I played rugby for ten years until I was 22 so I had some background in jogging around a pitch from scrum to ruck and sprinting into contact but that was it.

Inspired by KevPants I decided to combine some running with strength training and I'm working with a new coach. My first run was literally on April 23rd when I did some treadmill pace work and then the next day I did a 7km walk/jog thing in an hour.

Monday's are my "long" runs (the term is very relative!) so on April 28th I did 8km in 1:00:16 and last Monday I did 9km in 1:01:52.

In general, my coach has me doing a distance run on Mondays, some interval work on Wednesdays, a short fast run on Thursdays, and a paced run on Sundays.
    Sorry for wrecking your head, and apologies if im dragging this off topic, but having recently had some calf pain myself, I'm very curious with regards to any hurdles you may have faced or any advice I could possibly steal from you?

That's an amazing achievement (and regardless of whether you're built like Yokozuna, Brock Lesnar, or anywhere in between, to be able to carry 20 stone 10km in 70 minutes is shockingly good work! :eek: ). My hat is in the air for you!

Not wrecking my head at all man, if you wanna ask more just post in my log or PM me.

I haven't suffered much pain apart from the normal training soreness but my joints/tendons are fairly used to a bunch of squatting and deadlifting so not sure if that's helping insure me against the pain of running or not. Muscle-wise I've felt grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Madcow is going very well for me. Squat 5 rep max up from 125kg to 135kg @ 70kg on just week 7 of the program. I will surely stall on making weekly gains soon though. My new RDL 5 rep max now at 155kg too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Well done! I managed my first 10k a month or so ago.
    That's great time too, I think I took 90 mins :o

Off you go to 15! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

No pb for me this week unfortunately but the gf had a good run of them

She's already a little powerhouse so she decided she wanted to test her bench (doesnt train at it), squat (doesn't train at it ) and deadlift (trained a few times at it) she got the following 3 weeks ago

Bench 60kg paused rep
    Squat ATG 95kg
    Deadlift 107.5kg

This week so far she has achieved the following

Deadlift 1x2 @ 120kg fairly easy
    plate loaded leg press 1x6 @ 420kg full range knees to chest.

The amount of lads looking at her in disbelief was crazy, even between her sets lads would walk over and count how many plates were on either side as she just kept upping the weight. Who said girls can't be as strong as lads

Give her time and she will be catching up with me ahhhhhhhh my little beast.

chriity139 wrote: »
    No pb for me this week unfortunately but the gf had a good run of them

She's already a little powerhouse so she decided she wanted to test her bench (doesnt train at it), squat (doesn't train at it ) and deadlift (trained a few times at it) she got the following 3 weeks ago

Bench 60kg paused rep
    Squat ATG 95kg
    Deadlift 107.5kg

This week so far she has achieved the following

Deadlift 1x2 @ 120kg fairly easy
    plate loaded leg press 1x6 @ 420kg full range knees to chest.

The amount of lads looking at her in disbelief was crazy, even between her sets lads would walk over and count how many plates were on either side as she just kept upping the weight. Who said girls can't be as strong as lads

Give her time and she will be catching up with me ahhhhhhhh my little beast.

Without getting too personal, what's her bodyweight like? They're some impressive numbers and she'd probably do fairly well in the IDFPA if she has any sort of competitive streak!

Tested today...

112.5kg x1 paused bench
    145kg x1 ATG beltless back squat

at 90.5kg.

Disappointed with the squat. I did 132.5 10x3 6 days ago so I thought I'd have 150kg in me, but not today... First time ever to test so it's nice to know my true maxes. Onwards and upwards.

Without getting too personal, what's her bodyweight like? They're some impressive numbers and she'd probably do fairly well in the IDFPA if she has any sort of competitive streak!

She's about 82kg at the moment. She was looking training with me when I'm going for a powerlifting meet to see how she got on, but after a few weeks of squats her knee starts to hurt as she injured it badly 3 years ago running on the beach.
    She's very very competitive which usually leads to her injuring herself

Can't remember last time I did an 8-rep set for deadlift but did 4 sets of 8 today at 140kg (75% of 1RM).

Wouldn't count it as a PR cos haven't tried it before but it felt like an achievement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭zuhuraswa

I ran 10k in 54 minutes today :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

First time trying rack pulls today, was working out with a co worker so we said we would see how we did. I got to 200kg and ran out of room on the bar, prob had 210 in me but was pretty happy.

Hands are bits now

• Advertisement

Tested my paused bench tonight, 2 weeks ago was 130kg tonight I paused bench 137.5kg handily enough. Tried 140kg 5 times (my goal for the end of summer) got it off my chest no problem, couldn't lock it out. Will test again in a few weeks and get it id say. Done at 84-85kg bw.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

Hit a 170kg Squat and a 110kg bench. 92kg bw.

Had to belt up for the squat as my core was giving way before my legs so that's the next thing to work on.

Going in, I had a squat PR of 125kg with a target for 2014 of 130kg at BW of no more than 80kg.

Left the gym with a PR of 137.5kg @ 76kg.

Back of the net!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

135kg x 6 squat at 77kg. Gotta get that 8 reps next time. I think I had one more in me but didn't want to push to failure.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Yourself and alf approaching double bw squats.

Soon™

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

conzy wrote: »

Soon™

Pretty sure I could hit double bodyweight if I tried. I don't think I've lost any strength on my squat since I've started this cut and that was 160 kg. Must test sometime to find out.

conzy wrote: »

Soon™

That's the new goal for the end of the year, i.e. early October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

You said you wanted to hit a 180kg DL for June/July and you smashed it waaaay sooner. Expect the same for your squat buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

70kg clean and jerk today. Cleans not too impressive but the jerk was awesome:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

160kg double overhand deadlift.

Matches my previous 1rm with mixed grip but about 9kgs lighter bw and it was an easier lift. Wasn't going for 1rm was just following the numbers.

Advertisement