Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Myself and my gf are looking at getting new phones. We'e looking at something bigger than 5" with Gorilla Glass. 2GB of RAM would be preferable. I think we've narrowed it down to these two phones:

Mlais Note Pro - http://www.etotalk.com/mlais-note-pro-16gb_p6228.html

Kingzone K1 Turbo http://www.etotalk.com/kingzone-k1-2gb_p5687.html

Anyone have any insight? Is a FHD screen worth the extra €40? The Mlais seems to be perfect spec wise apart from that. Also it comes with KitKat. The Kingzone seems like a fantastic phone. Any others we should be looking at? We both currently have 5" 720p phones and want something bigger. There are a couple in the 6" bracket but we're afraid 6" might be too big... Such as this:

ThL T200 - http://www.etotalk.com/thl-t200_p4781.html

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

RossieMan wrote: »
    Anything with a snapdragon800 or 801, purely just because you'll get updates.

No point upgrading to octa-core. no real performance gain that you'll notice.

Still with the Neo myself, really is a cracking phone. Pity its been forgot about and basically have no working ROMs.

Disagree with the octa core comment, there is a huge gain with download speeds, GPS, snd app usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

GPS would be something that needs improving if I get something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I have a octa core and its not a problem getting gps. zopo980+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tonyj_mc

daytob wrote: »
    I have a octa core and its not a problem getting gps. zopo980+

How do you find the ZOPO phone in genera , i was looking at the zopo 998 (think the difference s a bigger screen), The Xiaomi hongmi, the Xiaomi Mi3 (no SD card may kill this as the 64gb is a bit out of price range) or the THL T200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

I find it great, ill be selling it though when my oneplus arrives. :(
    turn the screen down indoors and when outside brighten it up. can be seen perfectly in direct sunlight. Battery life is good once you do this, doing normal phone usage. Camera is stunning, never had to use the flash in lowlight so cant give any indications how that would be. Only annoying thing for me is the google search bar up on top of every page, but im sure a rom could fix that, I just dont have the patience to do that though. call quality great, sound from movies and music great too. Havent had any issues with it. Except the facebook app from play store, but that turned out to be the actual update from facebook, a quick google search and an older version was installed and works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Mezcita wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on the THL 5000. I'll report back with a review once it turns up.

Can't wait to hear back on this. Where did you buy it from ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Disagree with the octa core comment, there is a huge gain with download speeds, GPS, snd app usage.

Download speed? Why would octa core have an advantage over quad core?

Maybe an upgraded wireless receiver, nothing to do with octa-core though.

GPS is good to here about.
    And app usage is perfect on the quad core.
    None of the big phones such as HTC/Sony have gone to octa core yet, becuase its not viable for performance/battery. Just a waste of battery if you ask me.

Quad core is all that is required at the moment, perhaps in a few years octa-core might become more important.

Just a case of opinions i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

that article is comparing against a snapdragon 400.

Put it up against an 800 an lets see the results.
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/mediatek-unveils-mt6595-octa-core-chip-to-take-on-qualcomms-snapdragon-800-482186
    this, however, might be more interesting to look at when it comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

$10 off any orders at aliexpress over $69 for the next few hours. Has to be placed using their mobile app

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Download speed? Why would octa core have an advantage over quad core?

Maybe an upgraded wireless receiver, nothing to do with octa-core though.

GPS is good to here about.
    And app usage is perfect on the quad core.
    None of the big phones such as HTC/Sony have gone to octa core yet, becuase its not viable for performance/battery. Just a waste of battery if you ask me.

Quad core is all that is required at the moment, perhaps in a few years octa-core might become more important.

Just a case of opinions i guess.

What octa core have you used? Also what I meant from downloading apps was doing multiples, my phone barely slows down while downloading/updating apps.

that article is comparing against a snapdragon 400.

Put it up against an 800 an lets see the results.
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/mediatek-unveils-mt6595-octa-core-chip-to-take-on-qualcomms-snapdragon-800-482186
    this, however, might be more interesting to look at when it comes out.

Saw that, I assume they were basing their comparison on cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Looking for a good phone recommendation please:

5'' HD screen
    At least 1gb of RAM
    a MicroSD slot that takes 32gb cards
    Decent spec camera
    Good battery life

from a reputable site.

€100-€150 budget.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

^^ thanks for that corwill.

I'm looking at Lenovo as a brand - are they good quality phones generally speaking? Any recommendations?

Sam Mac wrote: »
    ^^ thanks for that corwill.

I'm looking at Lenovo as a brand - are they good quality phones generally speaking? Any recommendations?

Have a Lenovo A830 for a year now, rock solid from day one, can't fault it, but I would be a Medium-light user, also can't see a Lenovo I would replace it with apart from the Lenovo A8 which won't work here.

Looks great. do you own it?

• Advertisement

I do not own it, i bought the neo that's linked it a post above, apart from it has 2gb of RAM and cost almost twice the price at christmas ;)

Have been looking at phones for the girlfriend and this is top of the list at the moment.
    I'd go for the 2gb version though, really is a massive difference.

I'm sure i've seen plenty of people here buy this phone, they dont seem to be regular contributors though so im not sure if you'll get opinions on it from them.

If I was to go to 5.5 inches, what can people recommend around the 150-180 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Hello all,

I've been looking around for a decent Android to replace my Blackberry 9800 as I fancy a change.

My ideal phone is the Xperia Z1 Compact but it's out of my price range.

I'd like to try something a bit different which has lead me to look at the Chinese brands.

My only problem is they all seem too big. I know that's the current trend in phones but could anyone recommend a phone that fits the following criteria:

Powerful processor
    Small screen

My budget is about E250 maximum.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hello all,

I've been looking around for a decent Android to replace my Blackberry 9800 as I fancy a change.

My ideal phone is the Xperia Z1 Compact but it's out of my price range.

I'd like to try something a bit different which has lead me to look at the Chinese brands.

My only problem is they all seem too big. I know that's the current trend in phones but could anyone recommend a phone that fits the following criteria:

Powerful processor
    Small screen

My budget is about E250 maximum.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Darren.

Most Chinese phones under 4.5" only run dual core,vwhich isn't overly powerful. The best from 4.5" or under I've been able to find is m.banggood.com/JIAYU-G5S-4_5-inch-2GB-RAM-MT6592-1_7Ghz-Octa-core-Smartphone-p-922933.html ,although its currently sold out on banggood. Should come very close to €250

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Most Chinese phones under 4.5" only run dual core,vwhich isn't overly powerful. The best from 4.5" or under I've been able to find is m.banggood.com/JIAYU-G5S-4_5-inch-2GB-RAM-MT6592-1_7Ghz-Octa-core-Smartphone-p-922933.html ,although its currently sold out on banggood. Should come very close to €250

Thanks Digital Solitude, I shall have a look at it now.

It seems the fashion for larger phones is pushing the sizes up too much for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

If I was to go to 5.5 inches, what can people recommend around the 150-180 mark?

Would you consider the Lenovo K910 Sam ?It’s a little bit more at around the €200 mark. I know it does not have an expandable memory but otherwise great value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

"RossieMan wrote: »

Have this phone about a month,apart from a little hiccup at the start,i think its a brillant phone,runs anything i throw at it and works flawlessy now.. There also is a kitkat update for this phone.
    Edit: mines the 2gb model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Looking for a good phone recommendation please:

5'' HD screen
    At least 1gb of RAM
    a MicroSD slot that takes 32gb cards
    Decent spec camera
    Good battery life

from a reputable site.

€100-€150 budget.

Thanks!

There is a Cubot in Bargain Alerts http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057240472

A few have it now and reviews seem ok.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

honda boi wrote: »
    Have this phone about a month,apart from a little hiccup at the start,i think its a brillant phone,runs anything i throw at it and works flawlessy now.. There also is a kitkat update for this phone.
    Edit: mines the 2gb model

Is the camera good?
    Also, how do you get the kitkat update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Thanks Digital Solitude, I shall have a look at it now.

It seems the fashion for larger phones is pushing the sizes up too much for my tastes.

If the Jiayu G5S or G4S don't tickle your fancy, maybe have a look at the Xiaomi Mi2S, it has a 4.3" screen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement