Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

This could well be the case. I'm just curious as to how it can happen so easily and inconspicuously.
    It's probably rash to straight out suspect a Chinese handset (HDC) but the coincidence tends to sway you to presume that.
    I'm wondering where I stand about the bill now. Probably my own fault. Also, sorry to derail the thread somewhat.

Maybe running a anti-malware program will show up which app if any is the problem, there are lots on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=malware%20removal%20for%20android&c=apps

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

RossieMan wrote: »
    People buying unknown, unresearched ****e from unknown sellers.

That's yours problem right there, not this spyware bull. Apps are very easily deleted and ROMs flashed. Get over yourselves and stop ruining the thread.

Okay, my apologies. I just was looking for a bit of info on potential causes. You sounded like a baby there ie ruining the thread! "I'm takin my ball and going home!".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

pauleoin wrote: »
    Maybe running a anti-malware program will show up which app if any is the problem, there are lots on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=malware%20removal%20for%20android&c=apps

All the best

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I'm gonna guess all these "spyware" guys on the thread have our old nemises......MOTO G!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Does the mi3 come as rooted out of the box and can you update it to kitkat without flashing it? Would it be easy to root and flash if possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Where are you buying it from?

It may come rooted, you cn always ask them to do it for you anyway.
    it won't come with Kitkat out of box i'd imagine. easy enough to flash once you follow the many guides available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Could the lads that bought the Redmi Note post brief reviews. Would you recommend it?

Where are you buying it from?

It may come rooted, you cn always ask them to do it for you anyway.
    it won't come with Kitkat out of box i'd imagine. easy enough to flash once you follow the many guides available.

Don't know where to buy it just yet. So many options! Was thinking aliexpress. This one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/subject/1754121219.html

If it were me, i'd buy from a store. I'm sure aliexexpress might be good too, just haven't seen too many on here using it.
    I'd be a bit wary of it.

Let us know how you get on if you order from them though. Expect to pay customs on it, no matter where you buy. It probably won't happen, but just have funds available in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

Colemania wrote: »
    Don't know where to buy it just yet. So many options! Was thinking aliexpress. This one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/subject/1754121219.html

First off have not used this shop and I am not certain if they are a Xiaomi reseller or if they are Xiaomi's European store so some research would be wise, someone on here may be able to give better info.

If all is good there should be no V.A.T. payable as they deliver from the EU.

http://www.xiaomishop.com/28-eu-direct

• Advertisement

If it were me, i'd buy from a store. I'm sure aliexexpress might be good too, just haven't seen too many on here using it.
    I'd be a bit wary of it.

Let us know how you get on if you order from them though. Expect to pay customs on it, no matter where you buy. It probably won't happen, but just have funds available in case.

A store like pandawill, mixeshop or etotalk?

pauleoin wrote: »
    First off have not used this shop and I am not certain if they are a Xiaomi reseller or if they are Xiaomi's European store so some research would be wise, someone on here may be able to give better info.

If all is good there should be no V.A.T. payable as they deliver from the EU.

http://www.xiaomishop.com/28-eu-direct

I thought I saw something about that seller on aliexpress that I linked shipping from Switzerland? Maybe I'm wrong

Dont see anything about that seller shipping from Switzerland. The store is in Hong Kong.

i'd stick with the store, but thats just me. Dont like Aliexexpress as it doesn't generally accept paypal.
    i know they have some safety measures.

its not actually any cheaper than most of the stores really.

If you're new to this, i'd stick to the known stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Xiaomi phones do not need to be rooted to install play store or update to kitkat. Most sellers will send it rooted though as they usually install a multilanguage rom. The stock one comes with English already though. Best place to buy xiaomi phones is ibuygou.com and they also send the phone with stock rom.

About aliexpress... I'd much rather buy there than from stores like pandawill. There's many reputable sellers on aliexpress who care about their feedback as reviews of them are put out in the open, not to mention their prices are usually cheaper. With stores who have their own site its hard to tell if they are trustworthy or not. Most seem to have terrible reviews if you google them.

Is the mi4 worth getting over the mi3? The european 4G model hasn't been announced yet but is it worth holding out for? Not too fussed about 4G to be honest as i only work in the city and I can't get 4G coverage where I live anyway.

I can get the mi3 for €230 delivered by DHL on ibuygou anyway. Good deal?

http://www.ibuygou.com/p-original_xiaomi_mi3_smart_phone_snapdragon_800_quad_core_android_4_2_5_inch_2_3ghz_2gb_ram_16gb_rom_13_0mp-5517.html

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Anyone have an opinion on this for a budget of 150 euro?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unlocked-5-ANDROID-4-2-Octa-Core-MTK6592-3G-Dual-Sim-Mobile-HD-SMART-PHONE-GPS-/231216878906?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item35d599953a

Its for my sister so she has no real requirements apart from decent cameras. Any better suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What do folks on here think of the ZTE Nubia Z7 Max?

http://www.merimobiles.com/zte-nubia-z7-max-5-5-inch-1080p-full-hd-1920x1080px-qualcomm-snapdragon-801-32gb-rom-smartphone_p/meri10422.htm

http://m.gsmarena.com/zte_nubia_z7_max-6491.php

Thinking of getting it as a stop gap until euro-4g editions of the Xiaomi Mi4 and the Meizu MX4 are available. No real user feedback on the net yet. Only con bothering me is lack of ois.

looks the business. Great specs. Bit on the big side at 5.5 but im sure its manageable.

Very good looking phone too.
    The Mi4 looks it a different league though. 3GB of RAM is just insane for a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I don't think any Xiaomi devices ship with the Play Store installed. Albeit it takes about a minute to install it, you don't need root

I don't think any Xiaomi devices ship with the Play Store installed. Albeit it takes about a minute to install it, you don't need root

Oh ok cool. What about installing kitkat on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Colemania wrote: »
    Oh ok cool. What about installing kitkat on it?

If you get one with stock rom this can be updated easily via the phone update software but if you get one with the custom multilanguage rom you might have to flash it yourself.

spix wrote: »
    If you get one with stock rom this can be updated easily via the phone update software but if you get one with the custom multilanguage rom you might have to flash it yourself.

Alright perfect. Gonna buy it tonight :)

This one has stock rom ya?

http://www.ibuygou.com/p-original_xiaomi_mi3_smart_phone_snapdragon_800_quad_core_android_4_2_5_inch_2_3ghz_2gb_ram_16gb_rom_13_0mp-5517.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The 1s comes with play store installed, couldn't comment on any other model though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

looks the business. Great specs. Bit on the big side at 5.5 but im sure its manageable.

Very good looking phone too.
    The Mi4 looks it a different league though. 3GB of RAM is just insane for a phone.

I agree re. size, that's why I think I might downsize to the Mi4 in time. I have big auld paws, though, so I might be happy enough with it.

You'd have to think 3gb would represent serious future-proofing. I think I'll get on fine with 2gb for a while yet, I "only" have 1gb at the moment, and I get on alright.

Just a heads up, the Mi3 doesn't have an SD card slot. Just be wary of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Where does one go from the Neo Noo3?

Is it the one plus one or nothing? Can't really knock the Neo really.

dahat wrote: »
    Where does one go from the Neo Noo3?

Is it the one plus one or nothing? Can't really knock the Neo really.

Anything with a snapdragon800 or 801, purely just because you'll get updates.

No point upgrading to octa-core. no real performance gain that you'll notice.

Still with the Neo myself, really is a cracking phone. Pity its been forgot about and basically have no working ROMs.

Just a heads up, the Mi3 doesn't have an SD card slot. Just be wary of storage.

Bought it on ibuygou there a while ago anyway. Had a 16gb nexus 4 before and it was grand. Didn't go near the 16gb limit at all. Only used about 7gb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Just pulled the trigger on the THL 5000. I'll report back with a review once it turns up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anything with a snapdragon800 or 801, purely just because you'll get updates.

No point upgrading to octa-core. no real performance gain that you'll notice.

Still with the Neo myself, really is a cracking phone. Pity its been forgot about and basically have no working ROMs.

Yeah that is the only downfall reallly,got three in my household and no bother with them, great phone for the money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement