Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I need a good spec 5.5 inch phone that takes 32gb memory cards.. I have around €180 budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Sam Mac wrote: »
    I need a good spec 5.5 inch phone that takes 32gb memory cards.. I have around €180 budget.

Didn't you say that yesterday?

Mezcita wrote: »
    Didn't you say that yesterday?

Yes, and I am still waiting on some suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91465621&postcount=5397

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

You said you 'need' you should have said 'want'. Different entirely :D

We don't like 'needy' people around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I prefer going through all the sites myself to pick a phone as I usually see one and say thats the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I prefer going through all the sites myself to pick a phone as I usually see one and say thats the one.

I prefer when people do this and then we can say 'but it doesn't have this' or 'it is cheaper here'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Three have extended their free 4G offer to November (well not free but all their current data packages now connect to 4G at no extra charge if your in an area with coverage). This leads people to suspect that the offer will be here to stay the way the €20 credit -> unlimited data offer keeps getting extended, definitely time to start thinking about 4G when choosing a new phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Mlais Note Pro or Xiaomi Hongmi Note? In your price range, but the screen res may be a bit low.

For a few quid over budget, perhaps the Kingzone K1 Turbo or the ZOPO ZP998?

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Three have extended their free 4G offer to November (well not free but all their current data packages now connect to 4G at no extra charge if your in an area with coverage). This leads people to suspect that the offer will be here to stay the way the €20 credit -> unlimited data offer keeps getting extended, definitely time to start thinking about 4G when choosing a new phone now.

I'm stuck with Vodafone until January, who have LTE band 20; I have yet to see a C.A.P. which supports it, bar the OPPO Find 7.

Eaten alive with frustration, I'd have a Nubia Z7 Max ordered already otherwise. Trying to talk myself into doing it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I'm looking at the Mlais Note Pro and the Kingzone K1 Turbo. One problem I've had with my current phone is that whenever it goes out of coverage or to a low signal area it changes to 'Roaming' (small R beside the signal). It happens in Dublin city centre too so it's weird but also really annoying as it happens all the time. I'm with 3. Is this a common occurrence with China Brand phones?

With regards to the Mlais vs the Kingzone, I'm liking the 3200ma battery on the Mlais, but I'd prefer a 1080p screen, especially if it's 5.5". With the Kingzone, is a 2500ma battery not very small for a 5.5" 1080p screen?

Any others I should be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

eamonnq wrote: »
    You said you 'need' you should have said 'want'. Different entirely :D

We don't like 'needy' people around these parts.

How about this
    HD Screen
    Slightly over 5.5" (5.7", about samsung note 3 size)
    Expandable memory
    2GB RAM
    Octocore
    13MP camera
    Etotalk are the only company who have it listed as KitKat
    Detailed and positive review below

corwill wrote: »
    I'm stuck with Vodafone until January, who have LTE band 20; I have yet to see a C.A.P. which supports it, bar the OPPO Find 7.

Eaten alive with frustration, I'd have a Nubia Z7 Max ordered already otherwise. Trying to talk myself into doing it anyway.
    I need to do some research but as things stand now I think Three is the only Irish network the likes of the OnePlusOne and the various Xaoimis and other 4G phones posted here will work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

corwill wrote: »
    If the Jiayu G5S or G4S don't tickle your fancy, maybe have a look at the Xiaomi Mi2S, it has a 4.3" screen.

That looks right up my street, thanks a lot for the suggestions all.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

I'm looking to order the Mlais Note Pro from merimobiles, it seems a good deal.

http://www.merimobiles.com/mlais-note-pro-dual-sim-smartphone_p/meri10097.htm

What are the chances of customs charges when ordering? I was told you can request the item be declared at a lower value.

Also does anyone here own this phone?

Thanks

That is a seriously good looking phone if it lives up to those specs. So good Id have to wonder if theres a catch or some reason I never heard of it before...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It looks fairly cheap and tacky, to me.

Good specs, i'd be suspect of build quality though.
    Interested to hear back if you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

It's a toss up between that and the Hongmi Note. I think I give the Hongmi Note the edge as the build quality seems to be better from videos I've seen.

I need to do some research but as things stand now I think Three is the only Irish network the likes of the OnePlusOne and the various Xaoimis and other 4G phones posted here will work on.

For 4g, I think Meteor and emobile use both 800mhz and 1800mhz, the latter being what 3 use.

Of course, need to be mindful of 3g as well.

• Advertisement

That looks right up my street, thanks a lot for the suggestions all.

Note of caution - it's been around since April 2013, so who knows how long it will get official support. I think it has a fairly active on-line community of enthusiasts, though, and I'm pretty sure there's an official CyanogenMod ROM for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Is the camera good?
    Also, how do you get the kitkat update?

Cameras good to me,much better then my last phones ,Nokia c3 and huawei g300.
    You will have to flash it yourself. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was settled on the Oneplus until I realised that 4g is restricted to Three. They can't provide me with 3g let alone 4g.

I keep coming back to the Lenovo 910. It's €150 cheaper than the Oneplus.

I think I'm going to order the Xiaomi Hongmi Note. I have had one before but it was faulty on arrival. Really liked it despite the fault. Hopefully this one will be fine. 720p on a 5.5 inch screen is grand for me too.

Thinking of getting it from mixeshop, do I select ORIGINAL, Rooted without chinese APP, or REFLASHED with multi language play store? I ordered my last one from Pandawill and never asked them to do anything with it, yet it came with play store pre installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone have any experience of Etotalk roms.? I am considering a Lenovo with the Etotalk rom but I can't find any info on whether the rom is ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I think I'm going to order the Xiaomi Hongmi Note. I have had one before but it was faulty on arrival. Really liked it despite the fault. Hopefully this one will be fine. 720p on a 5.5 inch screen is grand for me too.

Thinking of getting it from mixeshop, do I select ORIGINAL, Rooted without chinese APP, or REFLASHED with multi language play store? I ordered my last one from Pandawill and never asked them to do anything with it, yet it came with play store pre installed?

Play store pre installed and multilanguage rom is what most sellers do by default as their main customers are from non native english speaking countries and xiaomi phones only come with chinese and english. If you only need english then get the original rom (unless you want it rooted then the 3rd option). Play store is easily to install by yourself on xiaomi phones and the rom is the official one so likely to be more stable.

Another place to consider is ibuygou.com, they are easily the most popular place to buy xiaomi phones.

Ps, look what I found in my postbox

nz3h4k.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

Personally I reckon the battery is too weak for a full 5.5 inch HD screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Zopo are a good brand but I wouldn't pay that much for an mtk phone. Also something to check when buying a chinese phone is how the internal storage is split. Alot of phones dedicate only a small portion of the internal memory to apps and the rest can only store photos. I've seen some 16gb phones only allow 1gb for apps which is ridiculous. You can check this by looking at the antutu information. A phone that only uses 1 partition for everything will show the same space available under 'System storage/Memory' and 'Phone storage/internal sd card'

That zopo allows 4gb for apps according to the antutu screenshot on mixeshop.

If you want a really cheap 5.5" phone take a look at the coolpad 7320. It also comes preinstalled with an miui launcher (not full rom) and you can switch between it and the coollife ui easily.

Only $140
    5.5" 1280x720
    mtk6592
    1gb/8gb (full space available for apps) and microsd support of course.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Coolpad-7320-MTK6592-Octa-Core-1-7G-Dual-SIM-WCDMA-GSM-5-5-HD-IPS/1857300822.html

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    I was settled on the Oneplus until I realised that 4g is restricted to Three. They can't provide me with 3g let alone 4g.

I keep coming back to the Lenovo 910. It's €150 cheaper than the Oneplus.
    No 4G though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement