Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 F7Z

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    You're talking through your arse. Loads of us have bought multiple phones from China and have had no spyware on any of them.

Because you'd know right? Seeing as theres plenty of proof of imported Chinese phones having spyware and the fact that such software is designed to be undetectable the burden of proof is on you to show that said phones have as you say "no spyware on any of them". Seeing as you can't prove this I suppose I win this argument and your statement becomes nothing more than an opinion and mine a fact. Logic, baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

seannash wrote: »
    Do you have the number. Ill bet you unknowingly signed up to a subscription based texting service. Happens all the time. Its the network who are to blame if thats the case.

Perhaps. Yeah I can dig it up and post it a little later.
    I'd say unknowingly is key here. But it didn't seem like a subscription based thing. They were almost like a conversation via text was occurring as they were 20c a pop, always the same amount.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    You're talking through your arse. Loads of us have bought multiple phones from China and have had no spyware on any of them.

I'm not sure why you're so bullish in your defence tbh. A bit like the ecig thing. People claiming the wonders of it even though they're unregulated and in reality people don't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

F7Z wrote: »
    ALL of them have spyware.

voanews.com/content/chinese-android-phone-shipped-with-malware/1940771.html

I didn't buy a higher end one but as you can see from the link above they're no better off. The one I got was I believe a "Doogee Voyager 2" which came with the hilariously named "Android.Play.Spy" malware embedded in the "Maps" application. Promptly binned and bought from a reputable company

Each to their own at who they listen to, however did you actually read the article.... The first Paragraph states

"That cheap smartphone you may have purchased MAY come preloaded with an unwelcome app – one that can turn your phone into a sophisticated spying device."

The researcher :rolleyes: only lists on model which has been communicated...

I'm typing this from my Xioami RedMi Note, so if anyone is listening/spying, I'd like a Number three and prawn crackers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Perhaps. Yeah I can dig it up and post it a little later.
    I'd say unknowingly is key here. But it didn't seem like a subscription based thing. They were almost like a conversation via text was occurring as they were 20c a pop, always the same amount.

Its a subscription service. Happens all the time. I worked in vodafone customer care before and we got calls about it everyday. The networks allow the 3rd party companies to do this because they get some of the revenue of it.

Not spyware unfortunately and it can be fixed by simply texting stop or stop all(Depending on the number) to the number.
    If they fail to stop you can contact comreg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

LFC Murphy wrote: »

I'm typing this from my Xioami RedMi Note, so if anyone is listening/spying, I'd like a Number three and prawn crackers :D

LOL :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Because you'd know right? Seeing as theres plenty of proof of imported Chinese phones having spyware and the fact that such software is designed to be undetectable the burden of proof is on you to show that said phones have as you say "no spyware on any of them". Seeing as you can't prove this I suppose I win this argument and your statement becomes nothing more than an opinion and mine a fact. Logic, baby!

Plenty of proof, but you linked to one phone from one manufacturer ?

Software is designed to be undetectable ? but is it actually undetectable ?

He can't prove it without testing every phone so no he can't prove it, but you came on here posting that 'all of the phones they ship to foreigners have spyware.' but you can't actually prove that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Thinking of getting the Mi3 from aliexpress after being put off of the Nubia z7 mini because of the battery.

No guarantee I'll avoid customs i assume?

First off you linked an article that shows one make and model had this. We all agree this has happened but it never mentions any other brands except Huawei and Samsung and as no other report has been published.
    They have either not found it on any other device or are not finished testing the other brands.

Whichever it is your statement of all of them being infected has not been proven or will be proved correct when they finish there testing so you cannot state all of them have spyware at this moment in time. For now your statement is untrue

Secondly he clearly says many of us have bought phones here and none of "them"(The ones we have bought on here) have been found to have spyware. He does not state none of them(Every single chinese phone manafactured) has had/has spyware

Its a subscription service. Happens all the time. I worked in vodafone customer care before and we got calls about it everyday. The networks allow the 3rd party companies to do this because they get some of the revenue of it.

Not spyware unfortunately and it can be fixed by simply texting stop or stop all(Depending on the number) to the number.
    If they fail to stop you can contact comreg

No but you see, this number didn't pop up on the phone. So you can't text stop.
    It was stealth texting, if you will. Only noticed because I checked my usage. Luckily so, as I tend not to do this that often.
    Emobile had no idea about it. They said nothing can be done about it and suggested getting in touch with the Gardai. Hilarious.
    And...but you must pay the full bill!:)

• Advertisement

It was stealth texting, if you will. Only noticed because I checked my usage. Luckily so, as I tend not to do this that often.
    Emobile had no idea about it. They said nothing can be done about it and suggested getting in touch with the Gardai. Hilarious.
    They can see the number (As you have said that its an American company)
    They can give you the number and then you send the text.

Typically people are signed up by texting an advert or competition on the TV or radio (Such as the late late, although RTE state they dont forward any details to 3rd party companies)

First off you linked an article that shows one make and model had this. We all agree this has happened but it never mentions any other brands except Huawei and Samsung and as no other report has been published.
    They have either not found it on any other device or are not finished testing the other brands.

Whichever it is your statement of all of them being infected has not been proven or will be proved correct when they finish there testing so you cannot state all of them have spyware at this moment in time. For now your statement is untrue

Secondly he clearly says many of us have bought phones here and none of "them"(The ones we have bought on here) have been found to have spyware. He does not state none of them(Every single chinese phone manafactured) has had/has spyware

Did you not read my original post? When I first found out about this I did some basic digging in the preloaded apps that came with the "Doogee Voyager 2" I had bought only weeks before this news came to light. As I said, I myself found spyware called "Android.Play.Spy" in the Maps application. That's proof enough for me that all these medium to low end Chinese phones are loaded with malware straight from the factory. I'm not saying multinational brands like Oppo have malware, but if you're looking to buy a moderately expensive Oppo that defeats the entire purpose of searching for a cheap Chinese smartphone which is why those larger brands don't factor into the discussion. At the very least you should be advising people to avoid buying from China until after the results of the phone testing has been made public, rather than purchasing on blind faith in an effort to save a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

May be an app you installed see here for a sample of many of the permissions apps can request. https://mobilesecurity.norton.com/privacy

Did you not read my original post? When I first found out about this I did some basic digging in the preloaded apps that came with the "Doogee Voyager 2" I had bought only weeks before this news came to light. As I said, I myself found spyware called "Android.Play.Spy" in the Maps application. That's proof enough for me that all these medium to low end Chinese phones are loaded with malware straight from the factory. I'm not saying multinational brands like Oppo have malware, but if you're looking to buy a moderately expensive Oppo that defeats the entire purpose of searching for a cheap Chinese smartphone which is why those larger brands don't factor into the discussion. At the very least you should be advising people to avoid buying from China until after the results of the phone testing has been made public, rather than purchasing on blind faith in an effort to save a few euro.

So the software that is designed to be undetectable, was found by yourself after you did some 'basic digging' ?

They must not be very good at designing undetectable software.

All the proof you need ? Right so, thanks for that.

I most recently purchased a STAR S4, scanned it and did not find any malware so that is all the proof I need.

pauleoin wrote: »
    May be an app you installed see here for a sample of many of the permissions apps can request. https://mobilesecurity.norton.com/privacy

This could well be the case. I'm just curious as to how it can happen so easily and inconspicuously.
    It's probably rash to straight out suspect a Chinese handset (HDC) but the coincidence tends to sway you to presume that.
    I'm wondering where I stand about the bill now. Probably my own fault. Also, sorry to derail the thread somewhat.

eamonnq wrote: »
    So the software that is designed to be undetectable, was found by yourself after you did some 'basic digging' ?

They must not be very good at designing undetectable software.

All the proof you need ? Right so, thanks for that.

I most recently purchased a STAR S4, scanned it and did not find any malware so that is all the proof I need.

I sense an analogy is needed here.

So what you're saying is, even though the predator has stealth camouflage and is invisible to 99.9% of people, because I broke out the infrared goggles and saw him hanging in the trees he is suddenly not very good at stealth? Or are you just being pedantic?

Okay so by your logic you find a piece of spyware on your phone and decide that if you have spyware all lowend phones must have it

So lets flip that logic and say that i have a chinese phone that I have found with no spyware, so its safe for me to assume that all chinese phones dont carry spyware.

As for the testing not being done, I was playing devils advocate. G-data have had plenty of time to come out with the results of there further testing but as they are a security software firm it would be counter intuitive for them to come out and say all other phones are safe.

We did already advise people about the Star issue so we dont need to call for a blanket boycott on loweend phones when so many people on here have had realworld positive experiences

This could well be the case. I'm just curious as to how it can happen so easily and inconspicuously.
    It's probably rash to straight out suspect a Chinese handset (HDC) but the coincidence tends to sway you to presume that.
    I'm wondering where I stand about the bill now. Probably my own fault. Also, sorry to derail the thread somewhat.
    If you accept the terms and conditions when you install it you dont have a leg to stand on unfortunately.
    Coincidently when the iphone 5 came out alot of people were getting texts to a UK number and didnt know what it was. It was facetime calling out to some server in the UK which was necessary for it to function

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

brimal wrote: »
    I only trust the following 'Chinese brands': Xiaomi, Meizu, OnePlus, Jiayu, Vivo, Oppo

You can add ZTE to that list( who make the Nubia z7). They are one of the biggest phone brands to come from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

Thargor wrote: »
    Hmmm, Z7 has a better res and pixel density but no Kit-Kat, honestly cant decide...

As someone else has said , both have kitkat.

The camera on the Nubia z7 is the real selling point with optical image stabilization.

• Advertisement

I sense an analogy is needed here.

So what you're saying is, even though the predator has stealth camouflage and is invisible to 99.9% of people, because I broke out the infrared goggles and saw him hanging in the trees he is suddenly not very good at stealth? Or are you just being pedantic?

Does breaking out the infra-red goggles equal 'basic digging' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Haha lol, I think actual spyware writers would know better than to call their file "Android.Play.Spy" :P

So if they'd called it Android.Play.xxx instead you'd have never found it inspector? A search for that term returns your post in this thread as the only result

As you yourself proved in your link, one company was found to have spyware on their phone and it was international news across all the tech blogs and mainstream media. Got any other examples?
    I'm not sure why you're so bullish in your defence tbh. A bit like the ecig thing. People claiming the wonders of it even though they're unregulated and in reality people don't have a clue.
    Yes much safer to smoke that natural healthy tobacco than those evil e-cigs.

Thargor wrote: »
    Haha lol, I think actual spyware writers would know better than to call their file "Android.Play.Spy" :P

So if they'd called it Android.Play.xxx instead you'd have never found it inspector? A search for that term returns your post in this thread as the only result

As you yourself proved in your link, one company was found to have spyware on their phone and it was international news across all the tech blogs and mainstream media. Got any other examples?

Yes much safer to smoke that natural healthy tobacco than those evil e-cigs.

Jesus. You patently know that isn't the point I was making. It's the lauding of something that isn't the finished article yet. It wasn't an exercise in comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It is the finished article, a way of getting a nicotine fix without losing the tactile actions and breathing that cause other nicotine replacement therapies to fail, its a way of inhaling the same amount of nicotine along with 2-3 other proven harmless chemicals instead of 5000 different carcinogens, formaldehyde, tar and God knows what else into your lungs with it. Let me guess, a factory in China produced a dodgy liquid at some point? The stuff I use is made in Ireland and contains fruit juice, ethylene glycol (harmless carrier gas used and studied for decades in inhalers without a single negative paper being published) and pharmaceutical grade nicotine, nothing else.

Anyway..
    Here are two of those numbers:
    SMS0013552742954
    SMS0013764243520

As I'm writing this and sourced the numbers it appears it has started again!
    I changed my number though and its racked up 47 euro. What shall I do with this one?

Actually hasn't started again. Just misread the dates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Anyway..
    SMS0013552742954
    SMS0013764243520

I changed my number though and its racked up 47 euro. What shall I do with this one?

whats the make and model of the handset, also where did you buy it from in china?

MidlandsM wrote: »
    whats the make and model of the handset, also where did you buy it from in china?

HDC 9006. A Note 3 clone. DH Gate. The seller was Skinnygirl. Best avoided. Had lots of difficulty with them. Probably put a hex on the phone:)

Anyway..
    SMS0013552742954
    SMS0013764243520

Actually hasn't started again. Just misread the dates.

Did you flash the phone ?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Did you flash the phone ?

No. It was rooted upon purchase, but decided best to discontinue with it so didn't mod it in any way. So twas back to the reliable Blackberry Z10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

People buying unknown, unresearched ****e from unknown sellers.

That's yours problem right there, not this spyware bull. Apps are very easily deleted and ROMs flashed. Get over yourselves and stop ruining the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement