Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

If there was a snap 800 in the THL 5000 , it would probably be the best phone in the world (in my best Jeremy Clarkson voice)

Edit... even better than the Moto G

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Anyone used fastcardtech.com??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Barr wrote: »
    If there was a snap 800 in the THL 5000 , it would probably be the best phone in the world (in my best Jeremy Clarkson voice)

Edit... even better than the Moto G

Is it that important to have Snapdragon over MTK ?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Is it that important to have Snapdragon over MTK ?

It certainly wouldn’t put me off buying the THL 5000. It’s between this and the K910 as my next phone.

As your octocore has decent GPS , I’m guessing this will be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

My octa core mtk GPS locks on straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Limited 4g support for ireland (band 3) but if that's not a deal breaker then it looks like a decent option.

Could someone expand on this for me? I'm on Three so would I get any 4G coverage on this or what's the craic with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Shoutcast Ireland

Colemania wrote: »
    Could someone expand on this for me? I'm on Three so would I get any 4G coverage on this or what's the craic with it?

You should fine 3 use that band. it is also one of meteors band.
    Hutchison 3 Ireland 1800 3

Eircom (Meteor & Emobile) Ireland 800 20
    Eircom (Meteor & Emobile) Ireland 1800 3

This image best explains the bands and what years they come into efffect.
    d1gqOXw.png

You should fine 3 use that band. it is also one of meteors band.
    Hutchison 3 Ireland 1800 3

Eircom (Meteor & Emobile) Ireland 800 20
    Eircom (Meteor & Emobile) Ireland 1800 3

This image best explains the bands and what years they come into efffect.
    d1gqOXw.png

Cool thanks

So would the Nubia n7 mini be a decent phone to get?

EDIT: I see it only has a 2300maH battery.........could be a problem

Three are doing free 4G on all their plans at the moment, even on prepay sims.

Could be useful for anyone looking at dual sim 4G phones at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

pauleoin wrote: »

This looks great. Do people just take it as a given that you will get hit for customs when ordering from these companies?

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »
    Cool thanks

So would the Nubia n7 mini be a decent phone to get?

EDIT: I see it only has a 2300maH battery.........could be a problem

For the money I think its the best value 4G. If your concerned about the battery see if you stretch to the max version. Think this is 3000mah.

For the money I think its the best value 4G. If your concerned about the battery see if you stretch to the max version. Think this is 3000mah.

Trying to keep under the 5 inch screen mark.

What would you say is the best phone within a budget of €250 with a decent battery around 3000mah, snapdragon 800 or the equivalent and basically a fast phone?

Not overly fussed with 4G but would like to have it to try it out.

Think I read somewhere the mini is taller than the max , although the max has a bigger screen.

I could be corrected here , but think it was on some review I read.

Mezcita wrote: »
    This looks great. Do people just take it as a given that you will get hit for customs when ordering from these companies?

Its a bit hit and miss really , ordered from DX before and did not pay any taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im thinking of just grabbing a OnePlusOne, can anyone think of a better 5.5" available now or in the immediate future?

Thargor wrote: »
    Im thinking of just grabbing a OnePlusOne, can anyone think of a better 5.5" available now or in the immediate future?

Don't know if I mentioned it before ... the Nubia Z7 :pac:

Personally I have zero interest in the oneplusone as its not dual sim

Comparison here

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/ZTE-nubia-Z7,OnePlus-One/phones/8754%2C8603

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't think so.
    Get your name on yabas list invites are coming a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Don't know if I mentioned it before ... the Nubia Z7 :pac:

Personally I have zero interest in the oneplusone as its not dual sim

Comparison here

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/ZTE-nubia-Z7,OnePlus-One/phones/8754%2C8603
    Hmmm, Z7 has a better res and pixel density but no Kit-Kat, honestly cant decide...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Hmmm, Z7 has a better res and pixel density but no Kit-Kat, honestly cant decide...
    Nubia does have Kitkat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 F7Z

Do yourself a favour and don't go near them. I was once like you, the "it's a Chinese phone but every phone is made in China anyway and look at those specs and the price is amazing and wow have my money", but I have one word for you: Spyware

Actually have another: Botnet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

F7Z wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and don't go near them. I was once like you, the "it's a Chinese phone but every phone is made in China anyway and look at those specs and the price is amazing and wow have my money", but I have one word for you: Spyware

What phone did you buy and what was on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Very very true. Can't agree with you more. I was actually going to post up an 'anomaly' experienced with a handset which eventually required me to change my number.

My mobile account had racked up between 50-70 euro worth in a 3-week period a couple of weeks ago. All texts sent to a US number. The handset obviously wasn't used to send these texts by anyone as it was always on my person and nobody would have used it. No real explanation for it either. Even while talking to a CS representative on the phone, these texts were still being sent (as logged on my usage) to which they couldn't explain either.

I can't say for definite, but it's coincides with using a Chinese handset and this irregularity.

Plus now I have 70 euro to pay on top of my bill. Not good.

Yes and we have discussed this on this thread and informed people of what phones had it.
    All the other brands dont have any.
    But nice of you to pop along with a nice big general statement about a billion dollar industry with multiple players involved in it.

eamonnq wrote: »
    What phone did you buy and what was on it ?

ALL of them have spyware.

voanews.com/content/chinese-android-phone-shipped-with-malware/1940771.html

I didn't buy a higher end one but as you can see from the link above they're no better off. The one I got was I believe a "Doogee Voyager 2" which came with the hilariously named "Android.Play.Spy" malware embedded in the "Maps" application. Promptly binned and bought from a reputable company

All of them have spyware lol.

Very very true. Can't agree with you more. I was actually going to post up an 'anomaly' experienced with a handset which eventually required me to change my number.

My mobile account had racked up between 50-70 euro worth in a 3-week period a couple of weeks ago. All texts sent to a US number. The handset obviously wasn't used to send these texts by anyone as it was always on my person and nobody would have used it. No real explanation for it either. Even while talking to a CS representative on the phone, these texts were still being sent (as logged on my usage) to which they couldn't explain either.

I can't say for definite, but it's coincides with using a Chinese handset and this irregularity.

Plus now I have 70 euro to pay on top of my bill. Not good.

Do you have the number. Ill bet you unknowingly signed up to a subscription based texting service. Happens all the time. Its the network who are to blame if thats the case.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    All of them have spyware lol.

Let me rephrase; all of the phones they ship to foreigners have spyware.

You're talking through your arse. Loads of us have bought multiple phones from China and have had no spyware on any of them.

Your article links one manufacturer to the spyware. which has been well documented.
    Sure the company tested more than One type of phone.
    Huawei started in this market and is now a reputable brand in Europe as is Alcatel.
    (Both are used to make Vodafones own branded phones and alot of other networks)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

I only trust the following 'Chinese brands': Xiaomi, Meizu, OnePlus, Jiayu, Vivo, Oppo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement