Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

emg74 wrote: »
    Sorry to sound dumb but where do I install from... the google play store? And how do I root the phone.. don't want to do anything that would feck it up

The Google Play Store is your app store yes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=iWrFU_DvGIH17AaixoDIDw&url=http://hexamob.com/devices/devices-devices/android-rooting-methods-for-jiayu-g4-with-android-version-4-x-jelly-bean/&cd=3&ved=0CC0QFjAC&usg=AFQjCNFwNafcMx9BOrbdo7uaO-DuTkiGCw&sig2=5ylPa2Mxd9OMZzUNLiGyPQ

This should tell you how to root it too, follow it exactly and you'll have nothing to worry about.

App Master is the Root Uninstall app that I use, it's quick and fast with a Recycle Bin option incase you Uninstall something you shouldn't have https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidware.uninstallmaster

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

The Google Play Store is your app store yes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=iWrFU_DvGIH17AaixoDIDw&url=http://hexamob.com/devices/devices-devices/android-rooting-methods-for-jiayu-g4-with-android-version-4-x-jelly-bean/&cd=3&ved=0CC0QFjAC&usg=AFQjCNFwNafcMx9BOrbdo7uaO-DuTkiGCw&sig2=5ylPa2Mxd9OMZzUNLiGyPQ

This should tell you how to root it too, follow it exactly and you'll have nothing to worry about.

App Master is the Root Uninstall app that I use, it's quick and fast with a Recycle Bin option incase you Uninstall something you shouldn't have https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidware.uninstallmaster

Thank you, I will try this later and let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Tbh guys if you're looking for help with fixing or flashing XDA would be the best place to go, I can root a phone and flash the odd one but if im stuck its XDA all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

My G5S Octa-core turned off suddenly and it will now not turn on or hold a charge.
    I'm devastated really feels like a waste of €240+

Currently using this dinosaur and it feels like I'm in the Stone age. :(

samsung-Primo.jpg

I emailed Etotalk and they sent me this guide so I'm pretty sure I have to flash it.
    I'd love a repair but there is a little cosmetic damage so I'm sure they would say I dropped it or something!

Could anybody help me out?
    I downloaded all the stuff they told me but I'm really out of my depth here this is my first smart phone!
    Should I just open a dispute in Paypal?

Did you get this sorted?

PS. My partner thinks that phone pictured is cuting edge - its newer than the one she is using!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

In settings/security there might be an option to switch on (and off) superuser access. A jiayu G4 that I got recently from pandawill has this feature.

Another possibility is thatYou might want to download framaroot.apk

If it works on your device it will make life so much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That happens with miui ROMs. They have an option in permissions that you can change to get root access.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Bumski

RossieMan wrote: »
    That happens with miui ROMs. They have an option in permissions that you can change to get root access.

The ROM in the octa g4s out of pandawill is the actual jiayu ROM as far as I can tell. But where I had to flash previous phones like the b92m or the g4 quad to root them, this one allowed me to switch to superuser in security, then I could easily use mobileuncle tools to uninstall the Chinese crap.

Anyone new to this - just be careful not in uninstall the launcher until you have installed a replacement like adw or nova.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

I just ordered one of these from Etotalk ..

Elephone P7 Blade Quad Core 1.3GHz Dual Sim 5.5 inch ( 2.0MP on front and 8.0MP on the back camera)

I got the addon protective bigger leather case,, youtube ,, facebook,, and their Etotalk Mod Rom..
    OH,, and the DHL thing ,, whatever that is..
    Shipping Method:
    DHL CN (To IE)

Full Cost = €131.51

It looks really nice, and I hope it will be OK...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

satguy wrote: »

Elephone P7 Blade Quad Core 1.3GHz Dual Sim 5.5 inch ( 2.0MP on front and 8.0MP on the back camera)

I got the addon protective bigger leather case,, youtube ,, facebook,, and their Etotalk Mod Rom..
    Shipping Method:
    DHL CN (To IE)

Full Cost = €131.51

That's a pretty good price for that, specs look good. DHL is the delivery method, the courier service.

Your battery might underperform unless it's above 3000mAh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Shipping Method:
    DHL CN (To IE)

Full Cost = €131.51

You probably should have left out the addons (youtube,.facebook etc) and DHL will charge you VAT on top of your total price.

Screen resolution will be an issue with a screen that size also.

A lot better phones available for a little more money.

http://www.tmart.com/Doogee550-DG550-5.5-Android-4.4-Octa-core-1-16GB-Smartphone-EU-Standard-Black_p257293.html?promotion=doogee

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote: »
    You probably should have left out the addons (youtube,.facebook etc) and DHL will charge you VAT on top of your total price.

Should I have stayed away from DHL ?

Surely they can't be that bad !

The phone is for my wife, and at 56 the old eyes are not as good as the once were, so I thought a big screen might help.

OH.. and where is the round thing with the holes, the thing you use to dial the numbers, I did not see it in the picture...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

http://www.tmart.com/Doogee550-DG550-5.5-Android-4.4-Octa-core-1-16GB-Smartphone-EU-Standard-Black_p257293.html?promotion=doogee

Could I tether from that to my tablet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Should I have stayed away from DHL ?

Surely they can't be that bad !

The phone is for my wife, and at 56 the old eyes are not as good as the once were, so I thought a big screen might help.

OH.. and where is the round thing with the holes, the thing you use to dial the numbers, I did not see it in the picture...

A recent order of mine got held up in customs, I'd used DHL - had expected the VAT charges but not the added 2 day delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Yup, Screen resolution like that stretched across a 5.5 inch screen will not look great. Also, all those add-ons he could've easily installed himself.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Could I tether from that to my tablet?

Yes, you can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Yes, you can.

Looks like it might do the job for me so.

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Looks like it might do the job for me so.

Most, if not all, android phones can tether.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Yup, Screen resolution like that stretched across a 5.5 inch screen will not look great.

I've had a 720p projector look good at 2 metres screen size. I'd say it'll be very good. Not like "super mega crisp", but very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Pretty much all Android phones ssince tethering apps like PDAnet work even on heavily branded phones from Vodafone etc that get rid of the built-in Android tehthering feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Hi everyone, hope you can help me. I just tried to buy an mi3 from Aliexpress but they've cancelled my order because they don't have any copies of my information (cc card, passport etc.) for confirmation.

Can anybody point me to some reputable sellers? I'm not living in Ireland at the moment (korea) so whether they're in the EU or not doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

DamienH wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope you can help me. I just tried to buy an mi3 from Aliexpress but they've cancelled my order because they don't have any copies of my information (cc card, passport etc.) for confirmation.

Can anybody point me to some reputable sellers? I'm not living in Ireland at the moment (korea) so whether they're in the EU or not doesn't really matter.

Merimobiles, etotalk, Mixeshop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Have the opportunity to get a LG G2 32gb over the weekend but was recommended on here to get the Mi3 or even wait to see what the Mi4 is priced at next week.

Which phone is the better performer and which phone is more value for money? Lets just say a new Mi3 is around €200 and a used LG G2 is just under €300.

From post #5139..

I got an email to say my phone has been sent out, I also got a tracking number from DHL.
    My phone will be here in 3 days or so..

Elephone P7 Blade Quad Core 1.3GHz Dual Sim 5.5 inch

It's not for me,, but still, I can wait to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I'm looking to get the mi3s - any release date anywhere? Would the z7 mini be a competitor? I'm looking to get my gps going again lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

From post #5139..

I got an email to say my phone has been sent out, I also got a tracking number from DHL.
    My phone will be here in 3 days or so..

Elephone P7 Blade Quad Core 1.3GHz Dual Sim 5.5 inch

It's not for me,, but still, I can wait to see it.

Customs might delay it a few days also, a good few days sometimes!!!

Customs might delay it a few days also, a good few days sometimes!!!

did you get your Star S4 yet?

I hate those customs guys,, they held up any phone I ever bought from China / HK ...

." infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I have the g5s. I've been waiting on a kit kat rom for a while now and I just saw this....

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/07/06/download-jiayu-finally-release-android-4-4-update-jiayu-g4s/

DAMMIT!

Does anyone know what the leather case looks like ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I have the g5s. I've been waiting on a kit kat rom for a while now and I just saw this....

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/07/06/download-jiayu-finally-release-android-4-4-update-jiayu-g4s/

DAMMIT!

Surely a sign that the G5S one is on the way though.

How do you find the battery life with the G5S? I'm flip flopping between buying it and a G4S (I'm passing on my G4 advanced).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement