Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Milkybarkid7

My G5S Octa-core turned off suddenly and it will now not turn on or hold a charge.
    I'm devastated really feels like a waste of €240+

Currently using this dinosaur and it feels like I'm in the Stone age. :(

samsung-Primo.jpg

I emailed Etotalk and they sent me this guide so I'm pretty sure I have to flash it.
    I'd love a repair but there is a little cosmetic damage so I'm sure they would say I dropped it or something!

Could anybody help me out?
    I downloaded all the stuff they told me but I'm really out of my depth here this is my first smart phone!
    Should I just open a dispute in Paypal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Have you tried flashing it yourself yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Leave it plugged in for 20 minutes and then try it, it might have completely drained?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

What would you open a PayPal dispute for?

Just follow the guide for flashing a new ROM, very simple to do.

Does the phone respond when you have it plugged into a laptop or computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Has anyone rooted a Star S4? Got it from pandawill but it was supposed to be rooted. I've emailed them but haven't got a response. I've done a search but can't find a guide for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

My G5S Octa-core turned off suddenly and it will now not turn on or hold a charge.
    I'm devastated really feels like a waste of €240+

Currently using this dinosaur and it feels like I'm in the Stone age. :(

samsung-Primo.jpg

I emailed Etotalk and they sent me this guide so I'm pretty sure I have to flash it.
    I'd love a repair but there is a little cosmetic damage so I'm sure they would say I dropped it or something!

Could anybody help me out?
    I downloaded all the stuff they told me but I'm really out of my depth here this is my first smart phone!
    Should I just open a dispute in Paypal?

Try take battery out and leave it for awhile,then if it starts up when you put the battery back in,do a factory reset on it..I had the same problem with my g4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

jgbyr wrote: »
    Has anyone rooted a Star S4? Got it from pandawill but it was supposed to be rooted. I've emailed them but haven't got a response. I've done a search but can't find a guide for it.

Have you tried a rooting program such as this: http://androidxda.com/download-root-genius, other programs are available, XDA forums usually has links to them

pauleoin wrote: »
    Have you tried a rooting program such as this: http://androidxda.com/download-root-genius, other programs are available, XDA forums usually has links to them

I've tried a few but not that one. I'll give it a go when I get a chance later. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

When did you order it and how was it sent? Am waiting on one from PW myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

eamonnq wrote: »

Was this the phone that was around €66 to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Jim Rockford

I wouldn't trust any of that cheap spyware filled crap

eamonnq wrote: »

Ordered it about 2 weeks ago. It took a week to get here with DHL. Had to pay them €15 though.
    Have been reading since that some of the Stars have malware installed so I haven't added my account to it. To be honest I'm not overly impressed with it. I deleted some Chinese apps on it but I've seen some Chinese text appearing with the download symbol so I'm iffy about it.

Ordered it about 2 weeks ago. It took a week to get here with DHL. Had to pay them €15 though.
    Have been reading since that some of the Stars have malware installed so I haven't added my account to it. To be honest I'm not overly impressed with it. I deleted some Chinese apps on it but I've seen some Chinese text appearing with the download symbol so I'm iffy about it.

Can you give me a link to where you bought it?

I wouldn't trust any of that cheap spyware filled crap

What would you recommend?

Bought the same one, hoping it will be with me this week. what is the camera like? is the build quality good? screen res good?

In fairness for 66 euro are you expecting a decent camera? There's no way it'll be "good". I'd be hoping for usable specs with a phone like that :P

RossieMan wrote: »
    In fairness for 66 euro are you expecting a decent camera? There's no way it'll be "good". I'd be hoping for usable specs with a phone like that :P

It was discounted though I think? .. It was costing $100+ anyway.

Those discounts are a load of ****e. They've been on "sale" for the past couple of months. There's a zopo sale on currently, all the same prices as last week though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Xiaomi Mi4 is released in a week, really looking forward to it. If the rumours are true then this could be my next phone.

http://www.gizchina.com/2014/07/14/xiaomi-invites-hint-design-mi4/

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Those discounts are a load of ****e. They've been on "sale" for the past couple of months. There's a zopo sale on currently, all the same prices as last week though :)

Can't disagree with you on that, they are always discounted in fairness. But the specs look pretty good, and the 720p screen sounds good too.

brimal wrote: »
    Xiaomi Mi4 is released in a week, really looking forward to it. If the rumours are true then this could be my next phone.

where is it actually available to buy though? (websites)

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Bought the same one, hoping it will be with me this week. what is the camera like? is the build quality good? screen res good?

Camera is ok, the few pics. I took looked fine. Recorded some video but couldn't hear any sound on it. The screen resolution is good. I had the world cup final on it for a while last night & it was very sharp. The home button is a little rattly but the phone feels solid. I haven't out a sim into it so I don't know what call quality is like.
    Tbh after hearing about the malware issues with the Star phones I'm a bit wary of using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

brimal wrote: »

Im holding out for this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hopefully that Xiaomi has 4g.

720p screen is standard nowadays, I definitely wouldn't buy anything lower and my next phone will be 1080p or higher, not as important as tv/monitor resolution but still very noticeable.

Also feel free to post any updates you see about that Xiaomi Mi4 please.

pauleoin wrote: »

Tried this but it failed to root. Thanks for the help though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Hi lads. Just dipping my toes into this really. Where would one buy a Xiaomi phone? So the Mi 3 now, or the Mi 4 when it launches? Is it the Mixeshop site mentioned earlier?

My wife's got a Galaxy S Advance but it's pretty poor so she's looking for a change. Can't really afford to splash out four or five hundred quid for a new Samsung or HTC or whatever so looking into Chinese phones as an option as I've heard good things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Hi lads. Just dipping my toes into this really. Where would one buy a Xiaomi phone? So the Mi 3 now, or the Mi 4 when it launches? Is it the Mixeshop site mentioned earlier?

My wife's got a Galaxy S Advance but it's pretty poor so she's looking for a change. Can't really afford to splash out four or five hundred quid for a new Samsung or HTC or whatever so looking into Chinese phones as an option as I've heard good things.

This: http://www.pandawill.com/jiayu-s1-smartphone-snapdragon-600-quad-core-17ghz-2gb-32gb-50-inch-sharp-fhd-screen-nfc-otg-wireless-charging-p82382.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement