Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭crasy dash

eamonnq wrote: »

Had a huawei before found the response to touch slow just want to try out something different have a htm m1 at the moment its ok but speaker is rubbish on calls :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

johnybean wrote: »
    Any opinions on this for my first foray into the wonderful world of chinese android phones. Was looking for something which would match galaxy note 2/3 without having to remortgage the house and came across the Kingzone. have seen a few reviews about it and seems to be getting good feedback. Should be about €200-€220 delivered which is the budget and for that I would be getting
    5.5" 1080P screen
    2 GB Ram
    16 GB Rom
    14Mp camera
    Expandable memory
    NFC
    OTG
    Wireless charging
    Snappy performance (From what I have seen in reviews)
    Looks good
    Thoughts?

That's almost Lenovo 910 money. I haven't heard of the make.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Discodog wrote: »
    That's almost Lenovo 910 money. I haven't heard of the make.

Lenovo doesn't have expandable storage and (shallow and all as it sounds) I think the Kingzone looks a lot better than the lenovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never heard of Kingzone before but either that's a nice looking phone, NFC onboard aswell. 2500 mAh Battery and no 4G though.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Thargor wrote: »
    Never heard of Kingzone before but either that's a nice looking phone, NFC onboard aswell. 2500 mAh Battery and no 4G though.

Not too worried about 4g to be honest, only thing of concern for me is I justy noticed that this phone only operates on
    2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G: WCDMA 850/1900/2100MHz
    Does that mean that I will onlyu be able to get Edge, G, 2G and 3G. At the moment I can get these but also get H and H+ which is why I wasnt too worried about 4G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not 100% but I always thought if the device can get 3G over here then H and H+ are guaranteed, forget how to check though its been years since I had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Thargor wrote: »
    http://www.etotalk.com/nubia-z7-max-4g-lte_p6211.html

There's the Max, still a decent enough phone, ticks all my boxes anyway, will have to wait and see though.

There is some tasty phones in the pre sale section of Etotalk ....hopefully they will come into stock sooner rather than later.

At the lower end of the market I really like this for €71 ,good looking , kikat, dual sim , good camera etc

http://www.etotalk.com/elephone-p10c_p5908.html

Anyone here any experience with elephone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Would be interested in ordering that Elephone P10. Whats the story with delivery from etotalk? Expensive?

It should give you the options on the same line as the price (on right hand side)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

that elephone looks nice alright. so i'm very new to these chinese phones so do you still have the playstore on these phones or do you have to root the phone and flash roms on to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Colemania wrote: »
    that elephone looks nice alright. so i'm very new to these chinese phones so do you still have the playstore on these phones or do you have to root the phone and flash roms on to it?

Resolution is not great on the elephone.

I am actually waiting for this to be delivered to me: http://www.ahappymango.com/star-s4-smartphone-msm8225q-android-4-1-1gb-4gb-5-0-inch-hd-ogs-screen-3g-gps.html

Cost me just over €66 in a recent Pandawill sale a few weeks ago.

Yip with Etotalk , pick their own ROM , the phone will be rooted with Google Play installed.

Barr wrote: »
    Yip with Etotalk , pick their own ROM , the phone will be rooted with Google Play installed.

ah ok cool. what phone would any of ye recommend to me so? nothing bigger than 4.5 inch screen, fairly fast phone with good storage and don't care about the camera really. have a budget of 280 but wouldn't risk that on a chinese phone so lets say 120

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

RossieMan wrote: »
    Some rhoaster from the sthicks.

LOOK AT ME! ME ME ME!

Ok after loading my MIUI ROM, to get root access go to permissions and its at the bottom.

To fix the not downloading over wifi problem, find the app that says downloads. Then click the cog on the top right hand corner. Up will pop a new menu thing. change data usage to unlimited.

Download all the apps you like.

Ah sorry bout that, only seeing your post now! Yes, that worked, and I would never have found it myself!

Delighted with the phone, performance is very good....... I think its a great deal so far. How it stands up over time is the next thing to see....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

How does someone (a friend ;)) go about dodging customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Get it sent as a gift.

Put a low value on it being sent. Usually an MP3 player or something.

You can't do much really, its the luck of the draw so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

How does someone (a friend ;)) go about dodging customs?

We're getting carded for this now? News to me considering all we do is talk about mixeshops delivery service :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We're getting carded for this now? News to me considering all we do is talk about mixeshops delivery service :confused:

Ah tax evasion is illegal. We can't discuss stuff like that on here. The card seems harsh, but it's for the poster to bring a dispute if they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Does Mixeshop's service just allow you to pay vat in Belgium (instead of in Ireland) ?

• Advertisement

ah ok cool. what phone would any of ye recommend to me so? nothing bigger than 4.5 inch screen, fairly fast phone with good storage and don't care about the camera really. have a budget of 280 but wouldn't risk that on a chinese phone so lets say 120

The Jiayu G5 is 4.5 I think , look for the octocore. Has expandable memory for extra storage.

Seems asking is card worthy, but answering is not. I'll probably just end up causing trouble for other users if I start a dispute, and "swindling the revenue commissioners" is a quote from the FAQ :pac:

Barr wrote: »
    The Jiayu G5 is 4.5 I think , look for the octocore. Has expandable memory for extra storage.

Based on the iphone design i see. Does is it have google play store or is it one of these rooted phones where you put it on it yourself?

Does anyone have experience with this phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Seems asking is card worthy, but answering is not.

If you don't ask, nobody will answer. :D

Based on the iphone design i see. Does is it have google play store or is it one of these rooted phones where you put it on it yourself?

Does anyone have experience with this phone?

A couple of people here have the G5 if memory serves me correctly.

Get it from Etotalk would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Get it from mixeshop and chose euexp to avoid customs would be my advice, don't know why more don't use it.

Well i just sold my nexus 4 for 180 so in buying this for around the 200-220 mark, are you saying this would be a better phone? 220 is a lot for a chinese phone if its not much better than the nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Seems asking is card worthy, but answering is not. I'll probably just end up causing trouble for other users if I start a dispute, and "swindling the revenue commissioners" is a quote from the FAQ :pac:

My phone arrived using bog standard post,it was sent via Netherlands Post so I assume with that printed on the package it was ignored by customs.As far as I can see it's hit and miss if you get charged for stuff by customs.

Bit the bullet and emailed them off Mams email :O No worries sure, it better be worth it :) I can probably get my brother to cover it anyways....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

Well i just sold my nexus 4 for 180 so in buying this for around the 200-220 mark, are you saying this would be a better phone? 220 is a lot for a chinese phone if its not much better than the nexus.

If you are going to spend 220 for a phone I would get the Xiaomi Mi3.

Quite a step up from Nexus 4; better resolution, faster processor, larger battery, thinner, etc.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Xiaomi-Mi-3,Google-Nexus-4/phones/8193,7531

However it's worth noting that Xiaomi are launching the Mi4 on 22nd July.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement