Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beards yes or no?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I probably got more compliments in the couple of months that I had a beard than in the entire time I haven't. Saying that it needs to be kept in check. I looked good after getting it trimmed for ~1-2 weeks then I started attracting comparisons to the guy from the hangover/a homeless person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I wish I could grow one. I call my mole hair my beard though. It'll do for now until my beardy old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Coincidence? Don't think so...

/puts on tinfoil hat

235732.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

seenitall wrote: »
    Full beard = no, doesn't do it for me. It can complicate hygene and is aesthetically just not very pleasing, hides a man's face, makes him look older.

I don't get where the hygiene issue comes from. It's not the beard alone that'll be a cause for concern there, but how regularly the guy washes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Depends on the man, same as everything really!

A beard doesn't suit my bf at all at all. He has very bristle-y facial hair and with a beard, he looks like he has a hedgehog stuck to his face.

Beards are gorgeous on some lads. I went out with a fella years ago who had the loveliest, softest, full beard. Twas very nice indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

stubble Yes
    beard No

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mood wrote: »
    Hate them.

235742.jpg
    :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

I don't get where the hygiene issue comes from. It's not the beard alone that'll be a cause for concern there, but how regularly the guy washes.

Oh dunno, I can think of a few scenarios where a wash isn't usually on the agenda; such as quick lunch, crumbs or whatever stuck in, I'm sure not many men wash their beards after lunch...:D but I'm really nitpicking, I know. Perhaps beards are just not my thing and I should leave it at that.

Soooo...more power to the Bearded Men and the Women Who Like Them! :) (*hopes for clemency and lenience from Wibbs and sam34*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Oh dunno, I can think of a few scenarios where a wash isn't usually on the agenda; such as quick lunch, crumbs or whatever stuck in, I'm sure not many men wash their beards after lunch...:D but I'm really nitpicking, I know. Perhaps beards are just not my thing and I should leave it at that.

But isn't that the point of beards, to store food for later enjoyment?

That's what The Twits taught me about beards, anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

but I'm really nitpicking

hee hee hee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm not allowed to go clean shaven, Mrs Sof. won't allow it. We're together for 12 years almost, and I've had a goatee/circle beard/some version for 10 of them.

At Halloween just past, I shaved it off as part of my costume for a fancy dress party, 2 weeks later, it was back.

Apart from my goatee (it's not goatee at the moment, its a 'tashe, chin beard, soul patch combo) I'm clean shaven every day.

Mrs. Sof. loves it, as I mentioned.

And cleanliness? The only time I have issues is in the morning, when I wake up, when I might find one of her long hairs tangled up in it. But food? Maybe when I'm eating chicken wings, but in that case, I get sauce everywhere, eyebrows, hair, ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Depends on the man really, some guys wear them well, some not so much. On whole though I'd prefer clean shaven, beards are no fun to kiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Some of the replies bring this chap to mind :pac:

draft_lens4390592module30890952photo_1241277353mrtwit.jpg

I agree it is a fine line. I think I am more of a heavy stubble fan than a beard fan. But IMO once it is kept tidy, a beard can be pretty hot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Wibbs beard is awesome. But he has had about a century to master it :D

/banned :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Love a bit of stubble, even veering towards a beard I quite like. I'm not a massive fan of totally clean shaven but it depends on the man- fair haired men look a bit odd with stubble I think, stubble is nicer when they are dark haired.

But I don't really like full on beards, even that one on Hugh is a tiny bit heavy for my liking (although, it being Hugh, I'll forgive it!!)

I actually love a bit of grey in a beard/stubble too, looks very distinguished I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 13whatsername

Yes. Yes. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

The only time I have issues is in the morning, when I wake up, when I might find one of her long hairs tangled up in it.

One hair? Count yourself lucky! Mr Esterhase's scruff likes to grab as much of my hair as it can hold. Beards don't just look hot, at the right length they can also act as a very gentle comb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

What it's like as a bearded man reading this thread:

1927327_o.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ella wrote: »
    Wibbs beard is awesome.
    Ahhh and he did visit upon her many graces and favours...
    But he has had about a century to master it :D

/banned :p
    Oh hang on....and verily he did smite her with righteous anger. And boils. Many boils. Oh yes. I like boils, I do.

Luckily my beard grows sooooo slow. Always has. I started growing it early around 16.* If I shaved tomorrow, I'd get to a George Michael in a couple of months. So it only requires the hedge trimmer a couple of times a year. No way could I get to a full Ronnie Drew/ZZ Top job. Actually the finest beard I've ever seen belongs to a Boardsie who shall remain nameless. He looks like one of the Kingly dudes on a Mesopotamian frieze. Well cool.
    Earthhorse wrote:
    What it's like as a bearded man reading this thread:
    That kids face is fantastic. :pac::pac:

*odd thing is as a small kid I used to draw in a beard with marker on all my school photos. Worse when I was about ten I drew a beard on myself with boot polish and thought Hell yea, hurry up puberty. OK more than odd... *seeks professional help* :o:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

As a woman who hates beards I am very surprised at the amount of positive feedback. Here's hoping all the beardless guys don't decide to grow one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Wibbs wrote: »
    That kids face is fantastic. :pac::pac:

Aw, thanks, but I think I'll keep the beard for now.

>_>

>_>

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

As a woman who hates beards I am very surprised at the amount of positive feedback. Here's hoping all the beardless guys don't decide to grow one!

Why is it surprising that everyone doesn't hold the same opinion as you? :confused:

I doubt that'll happen, and for some guys, it definitely shouldn't! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

They're beardless because they can't. It's all that estrogen running through them that's the problem.;)

Why is it surprising that everyone doesn't hold the same opinion as you? :confused:

I doubt that'll happen, and for some guys, it definitely shouldn't! :p

You are taking what I said the wrong way. I am surprised at the positive feedback because whenever the subject has come up among my female friends nobody has said they like beards. In fact they all said they don't like them. I never expect people to hold the same opinion as me.

They're beardless because they can't. It's all that estrogen running through them that's the problem.;)

I think that is an assumption rather than a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I think that is an assumption rather than a fact.

No, just a joke.

Having had one for a while now(feck off Ella:mad:), it seems to go in cycles of fashion. Generally though I've found it broke down broadly into thirds. One third love em, one third hate em and one third are meh, could go either way. It can vary a lot culturally too. What's odd about facial hair on men is that it's a secondary sexual characteristic that shows a male has reached/passed puberty. At a distance telling the diff between a clothed man and woman, or young male would be the older blokes facial hair. It's an odd one that the majority of men in western culture have chosen to shave such a characteristic off. All sorts of theories are out there. TBH I'd say it's simply a cultural/fashion thing. Women's breasts also a (partly) secondary sexual characteristic can go in and out of favour too. In the 1920's women would bind their breasts tightly as flat chested was "in" at the time.

No, just a joke.
    Ah yea reckoned that. To be fair I have known a few men who couldn't really grow beards and nothing "un manly" about them at all. Some populations out there can grow them and some can't. Asian men would generally be less hairy and full beards would be hard for many, ditto for some African populations. Europeans are about the hairiest in that sense. Similar might be said for women's breasts. There's a huge variability out there and an equally huge range of preferences. Variability is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

It's interesting. Knowing that a decent proportion of the population hate them, does it go through the minds of men that they could possibly repel the woman of their dreams or do they (you!) care?

It's a bit like long hair. I had short or shortish hair for years...right through most of my twenties and am only growing it long now because hairdressers in Spain are crap and they can't cut it how I like it...and there's probably a subconscious desire to blend in with the almost exclusively long-haired Spanish women. Only now that it's longer have I heard a lot of men complain about how they don't like short hair on a woman (they probably didn't want to offend me before). There was probably a large proportion of men who were completely repelled by me simply because I'd short hair....and I never even knew it!

Most things we do are fairly acceptable but for some reason, hair on both men and women is a real bone of contention in these modern times....hmmm.....*rubs mole hair and ponders that idea...*

Advertisement