Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadpool

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

It would le be hilarious if Deadpool managed to outgross Batman V Superman.

Batman v superman won't as the film looks like an absolute turd so I think after a strong opening it will dwindle and pretty much be a huge flop.

You've seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

You've seen it?

I think we've all seen with those ads they've released.

You've seen it?

In fairness, he said it LOOKS like a turd, not that it IS a turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Finally saw this yesterday and loved it. Great nod to Ferris Buellers Day off as well!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Awful, derivative tripe. I've no idea how people can rate this thing highly as it couldn't possibly have been more generic and less inspired.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

gandalf wrote: »
    Finally saw this yesterday and loved it. Great nod to Ferris Buellers Day off as well!!

Cant believe I missed this. Now I know why everyone in the theatre stayed in their seats at the end.
    Awful, derivative tripe. I've no idea how people can rate this thing highly as it couldn't possibly have been more generic and less inspired.

Horses for courses I suppose, not everyone is gonna be into the same thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

tunguska wrote: »
    Horses for courses I suppose, not everyone is gonna be into the same thing.

I've a fairly dark, puerile sense of humour but this did nothing at all for me. A few funny bits sure but it was just as formulaic and dull as any other Marvel film.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Deadpool has now crossed the $300 million mark in America, it's also out grossed all the other Xmen movies, even accounting for inflation.

• What a great movie

Some genuinely hilarious moments too, Ryan Reynolds was born to play this character

• Advertisement

• ps3lover wrote: »
    Deadpool has now crossed the $300 million mark in America, it's also out grossed all the other Xmen movies, even accounting for inflation.

Awaiting sly / funny dig at the other Xmen movies in the inevitable Deadpool sequel :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Finally got around to seeing this.

Maybe my expectations had been raised a little too high; this fell well below them.
    It's just a lot of juvenile humour behind a very formulaic revenge/rescue story. It's got some funny lines/scenes (the better ones being the references to other franchises), and it's a decent origin story.
    I don't think it's nearly as funny as some people have made it out to be - not that it should be synonymous with Super Hero movies, but I found Guardians Of The Galaxy to be a lot funnier.

Deadpool has now officially out grossed all the other Xmen movies, both domestically and internationally. Not bad considering everyone says R rated movies don't make money.
    It may even outgross Batman Vs Superman domestically, that would be very embarrassing for WB.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Just saw this last night and I reckon it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Ok I get it, the makers said let's make a superhero movie with loads of ultra violence and swearing. An R rated superhero movie for adults. That doesn't make it a good movie, it just makes it a nasty curiosity that made it a once off novelty to audiences. Expect to see the sequel bomb as the novelty wears thin.

When they start churning out bottom of the barrel stuff like this, you know the current superhero genre fad is nearly over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Wedwood wrote: »
    Just saw this last night and I reckon it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Ok I get it, the makers said let's make a superhero movie with loads of ultra violence and swearing. An R rated superhero movie for adults. That doesn't make it a good movie, it just makes it a nasty curiosity that made it a once off novelty to audiences. Expect to see the sequel bomb as the novelty wears thin.

When they start churning out bottom of the barrel stuff like this, you know the current superhero genre fad is nearly over.

Dear god that is atrocious thinking all together...simply a terrible opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Sirsok wrote: »
    Dear god that is atrocious thinking all together...simply a terrible opinion

It's just Francis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

So because of Deadpool, Marvel are gonna cancel all their films, and DC is gonna stop with their DCCU plans, and Fox aren't gonna make anything else with their properties? Yeah, alright.

I mean I didn't like Deadpool myself, but the superhero train doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Look, if you liked Deadpool then fine, I thought it was awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Tetchy...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wedwood wrote: »
    Look, if you liked Deadpool then fine, I thought it was awful.

I think it's more that while not liking the film is fair enough, your description of it is...unfair.

I've read very little in the way of Deadpool comics, but I had a lot of fun with Deadpool (as did my OH, and she has a significantly lower interest in/tolerance for superheroes than I do). I found the humour a lot funnier than a lot of recent superhero or action films, and I thought the action was more inventive than many (though films like The Raid set an unforgiving standard).

And yes, like any other approach, if the sequel or other Fox films try to mindlessly ape the same structure or narrative (as I feel the MCU films seem to be doing) it'll get boring and audiences will tire of it. But, to be honest, I'd prefer to have at least a few different approaches to superhero stories rather than a uniform tone and narrative structure across the board. So in that sense I'm glad Deadpool has been successful.

I still wish that films like Special or Super were more widely appreciated, but that's perhaps down to the difference between a superhero story and a story about someone who decides to be a costumed vigilante (certain plot elements may be the same, but they're fundamentally different types of story).

• Advertisement

Deadpool is the fastest selling superhero movie of all time on the digital format. It's also Foxes fastest selling title of all time on that format.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

"And if you experience an erection lasting longer than four hours, you're welcome." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

We watched it last night. I can't believe some of the laughs I got from it. The scene with
    Ryan Reynolds stroking his deformed child's hand along the blind woman's chin had me in stitches. Your man's limp corpse being needlessly dragged with the car during the chase on the freeway scene too.
    :D

Great change of scene for the comic book genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Finally got around to watching this and found it pretty enjoyable.

I'm not a big comic book guy (I've barely seen any of the Marvel series that's running) but it was pretty funny alright. Some of the jokes didn't land and I can see why some people would hate it but I think I caught it at the right mood and I quite like Ryan Reynolds anyways so thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Is it out on DVD today?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paul68

I watched deadpool recently, i must say as person not too familiar with all the comic book films i hugely enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,919 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm not into Superheroe movies at all and have never read the comics.

I absolutely loved Deadpool though. Couldn't stop laughing when he breaks his arms and leg and they go all floppy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thought Deadpool was fantastic

And I can't stand stuff like the Avengers et al

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Jester252 wrote: »
    Is it out on DVD today?

It is in the US I think it's next month for here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Deadpool does his own Honest Trailer:D

Advertisement