Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadpool

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I sat behind a grown woman who was watching videos on Facebook during a film last year. It was an action film - very exciting, lots going on. How are you so bored that you start watching something else at the cinema?

F*cking people. :mad:

Funniest_Memes_people-what-a-bunch-of-bastards_13598.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Looks like Deadpools success is already having an effect. Wolverine 3 will target an R rating. Could we finally, FINALLY, be done with the forced PG13 bull****?

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/16/wolverine-3-targeting-r-rating/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

films are allowed to have balls again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zombienosh wrote: »
    films are allowed to have balls again?

No, films are allowed have jokes about balls again :pac:

No, films are allowed have jokes about balls again :pac:

Deadpool's burnt meat an veg were on dangling show too though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see it again yesterday with the brother (his first time)

enjoyed is more if anything.

was surprised how much i missed on the jokes/quips front the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Found it entertaining enough, this kind overly zany and "random" humour isn't on my wavelength but I knew that of the character for years and knew what to expect going in so I won't go as far as some here and call this a crap film because it's not.

The biggest thing I took away from the film was how hysterical people in my screen were getting watching this. I don't mean the audience laughing loudly at the jokes, I mean proper full on possessed screaming and whooping insanely loudly. I've never experienced anything like it, it was like I was at a evangelical church where Deadpool was the preacher and the audience were his congregation :pac:

References were the ones that really set people off, howling in laughter at gags like the quick sight of a toy of the botched 2009 Deadpool from Wolverine Origins. I got the reference but couldn't understand what was so insanely hilarious about it.

The story is a very simplistic setup for an origin but not a lot of people know the character so it's enough of a vehicle to showcase what he is and the kind of humour that's involved. Judging by the reactions and money it's pulled in, it's done it's job effectively.

This character and the movie's humour are subjective so I knew there would be jokes and moments that would fall flat for me before going in but I did find a some bits of the film pretty funny and the action had a good flow to it. For a nearly 2 hour film, it absolutely breezed by because of it's near relentless energy.

Though Reynolds has campaigned a long time for Deadpool, I think this was the exact perfect time for the film to have come out. I'm burnt out and bored shítless of superhero films especially Marvel's typical safe, bland, and sterile-looking approach they've taken for so many years which I suspect is the same for a lot of people.

Those films are like a glass of stale water and Deadpool is a shot of tequila. :pac:

Also, watching people claw into this film and attempting to apply their sexism / gender / race / sexuality politics has been quite a sight. Saw this on The Guardian:
    While it’s a pity that Deadpool, both character and film, don’t venture beyond heterosexual sex, it still has the makings of an intriguing piece of queer superhero cinema

Lol

Ferris Bueller Chicha chica

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lots of fun and some hilarious moments but..
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    The biggest thing I took away from the film was how hysterical people in my screen were getting watching this. I don't mean the audience laughing loudly at the jokes, I mean proper full on possessed screaming and whooping insanely loudly. I've never experienced anything like it, it was like I was at a evangelical church where Deadpool was the preacher and the audience were his congregation :pac:
    THIS!!

It's a terrible thing to criticize is people's enjoyment of a movie.. but my God, it's good to see it wasn't just the screening I was at that was full of people heartily belly-laughing at moments that were definitely worth a smirk or smile at the most!

Still, I'm not going to criticize the excellent movie for that!

Great fun and clearly a movie that was made with a lot of love (and the cast and crew looks like they'd great fun doing it).. bring on the sequel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

How cut was the version of deadpool we got in the cinema? I don't recall seeing any dick/boobs at all in the film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

How cut was the version of deadpool we got in the cinema? I don't recall seeing any dick/boobs at all in the film.

There were loooooads of boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Really..
    Fight scene with francis in lab.. Deadpool burnt tackle
    Wade and his missus bed scene, Stripclub, "boobs".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Watched it last night. 2 thumbs up from me. Right from the opening credits the movie is just plain fun. It's a very simple story wrapped up in a great unique character, with a joke a minute (though while it had me smiling and the occasional LOL, I wasn't ROFLOL) and some decent action to boot.

Reynolds is brilliant as Deadpool and they played the whole 4th wall thing perfectly. It wasn't in your face but it was always there. Best of all, it didn't become a tired trope and even as the movie goes into the final act he's still at it (as opposed to descending into generic superhero fare).

The highlight for me was probably the whole highway scene, particularly when Colossus and NTW turn up. Deadpool "fighting" Colossus was brilliant. Looking forward to seeing it again when it gets its small screen release. No doubt I missed a load of winks, nods and references.

There were loooooads of boobs.

And burnt floppy dick.
    And Moreena, oh my

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Two of my favourites line from the movie just popped in to my head today

When Colossus says lets go see
    Professor X, and Deadpool says 'Stewart or McAvoy?'

and

When Deadpool talks about fondling
    Wolverine's balls and he says 'Down Under' in an Australian accent.
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My favourite line was when he went to see Colossus and NTW in Prof X's School: "
    It's such a big house and it's funny I only see the two of you.. it's almost like the studio couldn't afford another X-Man!
    " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JasmineJasmine

Dead Pool the Movie was great movie. I could watch it over and over again. It was so funny my jaw hurt, And Ryan Reynolds Nails the Role of Dead Pool. He blew my mind when I saw him play the character. And I'm going to give Dead Pool the 2016 movie an A+. Tim Miller, You did really good directing a great comic book movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,361 ✭✭✭✭Penn

And Moreena, oh my

tumblr_mtn9u00xVT1sj3oxho1_250.gif

The bit that killed me and probably got the biggest laugh in the cinema was after
    he breaks both his hands and does the impression of the T-Rex
    , closely followed by
    his severed hand flipping off Colossus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

Basq wrote: »
    My favourite line was when he went to see Colossus and NTW in Prof X's School: "
    It's such a big house and it's funny I only see the two of you.. it's almost like the studio couldn't afford another X-Man!
    " :D

That was one of my favourite lines! Top class

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    The bit that killed me and probably got the biggest laugh in the cinema was after
    he breaks both his hands and does the impression of the T-Rex
    , closely followed by
    his severed hand flipping off Colossus

Followed up by
    the tiny hand growing back.... "I bet it feels huge!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

How cut was the version of deadpool we got in the cinema?

We rarely get cut versions of films in the cinema over here.

Is this film in the same universe as.... I'm not sure which film it is.... there is some lad floating on a rock in space with a purple face and a power gauntlet? Didn't Deadpool win part of that gauntlet in the amusement park place?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Is this film in the same universe as.... I'm not sure which film it is.... there is some lad floating on a rock in space with a purple face and a power gauntlet? Didn't Deadpool win part of that gauntlet in the amusement park place?

Thats Thanos. He's the big big bad in the main Marvel movie universe. Deadpool is the Fox one with the X-Men. I think its a voltron ring he won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Film looks great.

It is so good to be able to watch a film that is 18's and a superhero film.

Bring on the Boys or Preacher next!!!

Punisher was goof at 15's I thought, Warzone was ok. Some comics will work better with violence and cursing and so on.

Thats Thanos. He's the big big bad in the main Marvel movie universe. Deadpool is the Fox one with the X-Men. I think its a voltron ring he won

Is Deadpool officially part of the X-Men universe? And if so, which timeline (love his reference to that too btw)?

Seeing as the new X-men timeline is still back in the 80s, it's unlikely we'll see Deadpool feature in an X-Men movie any time soon... though the
    Cable
    rumour for the sequel could solve that :)

Bacchus wrote: »
    Is Deadpool officially part of the X-Men universe? And if so, which timeline (love his reference to that too btw)?

Seeing as the new X-men timeline is still back in the 80s, it's unlikely we'll see Deadpool feature in an X-Men movie any time soon... though the
    Cable
    rumour for the sequel could solve that :)

The new X-Men timeline (as in, the new timeline based on the ending of Days of Future Past where Cyclops, Jean Grey etc are now alive again). So Deadpool is happening in that timeline in the present day, and XMen Apocalypse will be happening in the same timeline but 30 years ago in the 80s.

(they really screwed up the timelines with the Xmen franchise. As loathe as I would be to normally suggest it, they should have just rebooted the series with First Class and ignored the previous films entirely)

Anyway, even though they're pushing ahead with Deadpool 2 (probably featuring Cable), Ryan Reynolds is also pushing for an X-Force movie (as Deadpool is more associated with being on that team than with the actual X-Men themselves)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Basq wrote: »
    Lots of fun and some hilarious moments but..

THIS!!

It's a terrible thing to criticize is people's enjoyment of a movie.. but my God, it's good to see it wasn't just the screening I was at that was full of people heartily belly-laughing at moments that were definitely worth a smirk or smile at the most!

Still, I'm not going to criticize the excellent movie for that!

Great fun and clearly a movie that was made with a lot of love (and the cast and crew looks like they'd great fun doing it).. bring on the sequel!

Have to admit, I was one of the people belly-laughing. Could not stop cackling and sniggering my way through the whole thing.

Easily the most fun I've had in the cinema in AGES... maybe ever :)

The new X-Men timeline (as in, the new timeline based on the ending of Days of Future Past where Cyclops, Jean Grey etc are now alive again). So Deadpool is happening in that timeline in the present day, and XMen Apocalypse will be happening in the same timeline but 30 years ago in the 80s.

Cheers
    (they really screwed up the timelines with the Xmen franchise. As loathe as I would be to normally suggest it, they should have just rebooted the series with First Class and ignored the previous films entirely)

I think what Singer did with the timelines was genius, a pure "when life gives you lemonade, make lemons" situation that single handedly gave a send off to the old cast and reinvigorated the franchise after the X-3 mess, 2 poor Wolverine spin offs and a decent but not earth shattering First Class. There was no way to fix the timeline problems that existed prior to DoFP but at least now those errors can largely be ignored.

Back to Deadpool, the X-Force route would be great as you'd have a separate team to the X-Men (greatly expanding the FOX Marvel Universe... is there an acronym for that? FMCU?) but I still think it'd be cool to see him alongside the more "do-goody" X-Men.

• Advertisement

Bacchus wrote: »
    I think what Singer did with the timelines was genius, a pure "when life gives you lemonade, make lemons" situation that single handedly gave a send off to the old cast and reinvigorated the franchise after the X-3 mess, 2 poor Wolverine spin offs and a decent but not earth shattering First Class. There was no way to fix the timeline problems that existed prior to DoFP but at least now those errors can largely be ignored.

That bit I didn't really have an issue with. To be honest, the Wolverine Origins film screwed up things more than anything else. Emma Frost was shown in it in the 70's as a young teenager, then she appears in First Class as January Jones in the 60's. Quicksilver is shown in WO in the mid 70's as an even younger teenager (maybe about 12 or so) then in DOFP (also mid 70's) in maybe his late teens/early 20's but completely different. They CGI Patrick Stewart into WO even though we're still going to see him as McAvoy in the 80's. They had Ryan Reynolds, as Deadpool in the 70's even though he's now in the present day, also played by Ryan Reynolds. And Gambit was in the 70's as Taylor Kitsch even though the new Gambit film with Channing Tatum will probably be present day. We've also had Toad in the 70's (DOFP) and the early 2000's (X1).

The problem with the X-continuity isn't so much the story, it's the recycling of different characters in different time periods with different actors. Obviously they didn't have the foresight to know how long the franchise would go etc, but when they got to First Class and were going for a different time period and different actors, they should have just drawn a line in the sand and ignored everything that came before.

Advertisement