Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadpool

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

just have to jump on the bandwagon and highly recommend this as well..

as a longtime fan, i was optimistic going in, seeing as the marketing and trailers were spot on, and it certainly didn't disappoint. spot on portrayal, sweet fight scenes straight from the panels, and the humour is just fantastic!

will definitely be catching it again in the cinema, and as a few others ahave pointed out before, this will be a day one director's cut blu ray purchase for sure, even if only for the extras and the hope of getting the 'deadpool commentary'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

So I've sort of gone a bit further on my feelings about it, like 12 hours after watching it?

I came out of this movie today feeling kinda positive about it, then my feelings went down all day until now, when I realised no matter what this film has pretensions to be, its actually a bit rubbish, and tries to get by on the 18-rating and the swearing and violence and hilarious humour, when the film is in fact, a bit rubbish.

So the 'story' to use a generous term, is another superhero origin story. And there's literally nothing in it. There's barely a story. They could have told this crap in half the time it takes to tell it, guy gets powers with side effects, tries to find guy who can cure him, his girl gets kidnapped, he rescues girls, there's some stuff with the x-men, whatever, boring.
    It tries to be edgy, it tries to be cool. People love parody and self referential humour these days, right? Well here's a whole movie of it! and when we do this, it means we don't need character or a story or arcs, we can just pretend its all a bit of a crap shoot and not bother with it! And here's some lame action scenes with bad CGI, thats funny as well! Did you know Ryan Reynolds played green lantern before? Well you do now, cos we're gonna bring it up a lot, along with every other superhero reference we can dig out of the grave! Lets have really poor filming, script, and cinematography!

I've seen Reynolds get a lot of praise for his performance, but he's ok. He's fine. Everyone else is crap. Boring. They do nothing, they have no characters, no nothing, they're shells of characters, that are filled in by nothing.
    So Deadpool is.... there's an obvious pun here, but I won't make it. Deadpool sucks. What a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I-Would-date-you-but-026.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If I was to compare this movie to any other, it would be naked gun. The plot exists for the jokes, in which I admit, I was chuckling the whole way through.

The only problem was, that the jokes at times were very much out of context with what was happening, so they did not sit naturally.

I enjoyed it for what it was, but I don't think I will remember too much. The opening credits were awesome though.

zerks wrote: »
    I-Would-date-you-but-026.jpg

She has good technique, love her leg and arm positioning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

I have to say I enjoyed it. First time in a long while that I've witnessed an audience laughing that loud and hard during a film and it's the best craic I've had at the cinema in a while.

I don't see why people are complaining about the jokes. Yes they're crass and low brow but that's what this character is about imo.

Big recommendation from me. Might go see it again tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Saw last night and loved it. Everyone in the cinema was laughing and it was the first time I have laughed that much in a long time watching films. Good to see the theatre was full and when leaving there was a line of people waiting to get in for he next showing.

Extremely happy with the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Saw it last night as well. Tbh I was really pessimistic about it before going to see it and wasn't sure about Ryan Reynolds. I think he is ok in general but sometimes can come across a bit over the top and I just wasn't sure it was going to work.

Must say though I thoroughly enjoyed it. Went with my girlfriend as well who would have seen other marvel movies and liked them but we both thought she would hate Deadpool, but she really liked it too, even if she didn't get some of the references.

I have been telling everyone I see today to go see it, even if like me you're not a massive fan of Ryan Reynolds, just as long as you know it is a Deadpool movie and there will be a lot of immature/crude jokes.

End credits
    Cable
    ??????
    Be true, be awesome

And sadly despite some early indications to the contrary (hell, in a trailer she says "I've played a lot of roles, damsel in distress ain't one of them"!), Morena Baccarin's character eventually ends up just being another 'superhero's love interest', waiting to be kidnapped. Give us actual characters if you want something to have any sort of impact.

Hold on, her character uses
    his sword to cut her bonds, then grabs the blade with bare hands to pull it out of the restraint enough to open the door, then takes said sword and rams it through Ajax
    Hardly helpless

Edit

decadd7edb6b1014ca0cb7a1afcb8ea3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

She has good technique, love her leg and arm positioning

It's all about the finish though

It's all about the finish though

Indeed but her positioning means she won't need to readjust at the precise wrong moment.

Deadpool thread = Deadpool level comments ha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I would suggest that most people here who didn't like it are obviously not Deadpool fans at all.....

Not every movie has to be oscar winning writing,cgi, back of some dusty cinema no one goes to type stuff

Deadpool was a character who was mostly destroyed in a previous X-Men Movie this was an effort to make him into a redeemable franchise again ...and they took a chance by sticking 100% to source materiel it shouldn't be judged next to more serious stuff ...and i'm surprised it took so long to bring the old feminist (oh damsel in distress) bull crap that seems to be like some sort of buzz word or sentence when reviewing a movie now , Either you have a strong independant woman or you're movie is **** basically

I loved Deadpool does that make me silly stupid or unable to judge movies correctly ? no it makes me a Deadpool fan :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I think a film should stand on its own. If you need to already be a fan of a character and already know their backstory to enjoy a film then the film isn't doing its job. There are loads of people who love Deadpool but I'd say there are more people of the cinema going public who don't know anything about him. If the film only caters to the former then they're missing a trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Funniest movie I've seen in years. Great action, great characters and Ryan actually pulled it off

I loved the Ferris Bueller reference.

Hrududu wrote: »
    I think a film should stand on its own. If you need to already be a fan of a character and already know their backstory to enjoy a film then the film isn't doing its job. There are loads of people who love Deadpool but I'd say there are more people of the cinema going public who don't know anything about him. If the film only caters to the former then they're missing a trick.

My wife loved it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would suggest that most people here who didn't like it are obviously not Deadpool fans at all.....

Barely know a thing about the character. That does not prevent me or anybody else from watching it and forming a valid opinion on it :)
    i'm surprised it took so long to bring the old feminist (oh damsel in distress) bull crap that seems to be like some sort of buzz word or sentence when reviewing a movie now , Either you have a strong independant woman or you're movie is **** basically

Nope, when you have a character say in a trailer - and I quote - "I've played a lot of roles, damsel in distress ain't one of them", then you're fair game for criticism when she does end up a damsel in distress for a significant proportion of the running time (45 seconds or so on either side of the film excepted). And this is more a crime of bad screenwriting than some affront to feminism (for the record, 'the strong, independent woman' can just as readily be an insipid trope). It can be easily expanded to include the other characters, too - the generic Eastern European strong-man, a generic British villain, a generic wacky best friend, a generic moody teenager etc... Pretty much every character is a lazy trope, lacking anything of interest.

And the obvious counter to that is: but they know they're all lazy tropes and they make fun of them!. To me, self-aware crappy writing is still crappy writing. A genuinely clued-in, interesting film would instead try to address these things and attempt to do something new. Deadpool is content to merely point them out and then slavishly go along with them. Which stands out because, the quips aside, the film plays the core plot reasonably straight-faced all-in-all - from the love story to the OTT action finale.

Obviously, if it was funnier it would have helped, but I found it about as amusing as a direct-to-video American Pie sequel. I found a behind-the-scenes gif of Reynolds with a balloon sword funnier than anything in the film. But hey, humour, subjectivity, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Thought this was amazing, easily one of my favourite comic book movies now. Reynolds nailed deadpool, I don't think anyone else would have pulled it off. The references & in-jokes were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Really enjoyed it.

Doing the origin story meant that it couldn't be non stop whackyness so I am hoping that they get a sequel so that they can really let loose.

Thought a few of his buddy weasels lines fell flat but I thought all around the jokes were great.

I'm not sure what it says about me, but deadpool trying to beat up colossus was one of the funniest things I have seen in a long long while.

Needs a rewatch, I think I missed some gags due to lauging.

Not going to be everyones cup of tea, but I hope it gets a sequel, and possibly some cameos in related movies, funny fecker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I really had fun watching it last night.
    They kept it simple, plenty of tropes given a beating.
    Including his meat at one point!
    And the end credits scene was class.
    The film seemed to have major female characters, from hero, villain and love interest, and none appeared to be particularly insulting to women, any more than the male characters did the same to the other gender.
    Are we really dissecting an irreverent comic book movie and asking it to provide some sort of lesson on gender relations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Barely know a thing about the character. That does not prevent me or anybody else from watching it and forming a valid opinion on it :)

Nope, when you have a character say in a trailer - and I quote - "I've played a lot of roles, damsel in distress ain't one of them", then you're fair game for criticism when she does end up a damsel in distress for a significant proportion of the running time (45 seconds or so on either side of the film excepted). And this is more a crime of bad screenwriting than some affront to feminism (for the record, 'the strong, independent woman' can just as readily be an insipid trope). It can be easily expanded to include the other characters, too - the generic Eastern European strong-man, a generic British villain, a generic wacky best friend, a generic moody teenager etc... Pretty much every character is a lazy trope, lacking anything of interest.

And the obvious counter to that is: but they know they're all lazy tropes and they make fun of them!. To me, self-aware crappy writing is still crappy writing. A genuinely clued-in, interesting film would instead try to address these things and attempt to do something new. Deadpool is content to merely point them out and then slavishly go along with them. Which stands out because, the quips aside, the film plays the core plot reasonably straight-faced all-in-all - from the love story to the OTT action finale.

Obviously, if it was funnier it would have helped, but I found it about as amusing as a direct-to-video American Pie sequel. I found a behind-the-scenes gif of Reynolds with a balloon sword funnier than anything in the film. But hey, humour, subjectivity, etc...

I actually disagree with most of this but I will just concentrate on one aspect. You point to the generic Eastern European strong man, the generic wacky best friend as lazy tropes but all these characters are true to the original comics and after being so badly represented in Deadpool's previous appearance on screen the writers and directors were true to the original story.

Do critics complain about Martin Freeman for being a hapless sidekick in his role as Dr. Watson as being a lazy trope? Probably not for the most part as Sherlock was based on a book, which is taken to be something more creative and somehow more important than other forms of media, especially comics which are seen as worthless play things for children that can have no valid creative worth.

It seems that if a film is produced that is based on a book and remains true to the tropes of the book, it is worthy of praise. However, to do the same with a comic book, is almost seen as being sinful. An example would be Lord of the Rings, based on a book and received wide critical acclaim. However, even the most basic analysis would reveal so many tropes and clichés you would see there is no real novelty in anything in the story: Frodo goes on a quest, grows into the role of ring bearer over comes great difficulty. The Dark Lord has a vast army, vast magical powers chasing a magic ring etc etc.

I'm not saying that Deadpool is any great literary character but the instant dismal of the movie because it is based on a comic book, and therefore has no literary or creative worth simply annoys me.

If you look at the Deadpool character himself you would see that it is a refreshing interpretation of what has become the traditional comic book character. For once I am glad that this film was produced and not sanitised for a younger audience to make the most profits possible. They took a risk and actually delivered a character that many people will dislike for being crude and a "superhero" movie that contains violence and nudity.

You may not like the humour, I'm sure many people won't or the violence but do you criticise Die Hard for not being intellectually stimulating enough? In a way, Deadpool is comparable to Die Hard, a humorous action film. Both will appeal to a certain audience and many critics will point to it being a formulaic recipe, but to complain that it not comparable to a great work such as Lord of the Rings or whatever else, is just unfair and lazy journalism.

Ha, the criticism of LotR films was how they differed from the source, in particular Gimli

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You're making a lot of accusations I never made there farna_boy :)

Tropes exist for a reason. They're basic building blocks of fictional storytelling, that have developed over thousands of years. Done well, they can still pack power. Lord of the Rings is a good example - a sprawling, multi-tier epic that explores classical tropes in a rewarding, entertaining way. Die Hard, too, is a good example. It, for example, brings a delightful level of playfulness and humour to the 'English villain' trope, through Rickman's brilliant performance. Jessica Jones, which I've just finished watching, is another good example - there you have another 'British bad guy', but the character is beautifully developed: charming and genuinely nasty in equal measure, with actual motivations and a power that is meaningful explored over its admittedly longer running time. Of course, tropes can easily transition into something that's over-familiar and uninspired - just regurgitating ideas with no new slant or perspective of their own.

I hope that illustrates that I have no problems with comic books or comic book adaptions if they're done right - over the last few months, actually, I've read through the entirety of Saga and am now up to date with it, and thoroughly enjoying it.

So no, my problem is not that Deadpool is based on a comic book, or that it is not intellectually engaging - I didn't expect anything of that sort going in. My problem is how it handles itself. This is purely on its own terms, what it sets out to do. The tropes it employs are far too familiar and uninteresting, nowhere near as engaging as the best examples of said types. The action - this is purely IMO - lacked any sort of bite: too reliant on shoddy CG and janky, cautious (it actually felt very timid to me in terms of violence) direction and editing that robbed it of sufficient oomph. Most of all what lost me was that it thought that making fun of its own shortcomings was enough. Personally, I'd rather a film actively try to overcome the shortcomings of its basic building blocks - as I pointed out earlier, Super is great for that. Hell, even if you don't want to be subversive, buckling down and really trying to present familiar ideas in a really passionate and committed way can pay wonderful dividends. But that wasn't what I got from Deadpool - instead I got something lazy, crude and obnoxious that fell victim to the very same things it made fun of.

If it delivered everything you were hoping for, excellent, glad it did. But it's not belittling fans or those who enjoyed the film to say I thought it was total garbage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Saw it today. Loved it!

My one (minor) complaint was that with the test footage and trailer I felt I had seen a lot of good parts already !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

all this positivity only means that my copy of New Mutants with the first appearance of Deadpool is only going to go up in value :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Is my opinion on a comic book movie the same as johnny ultimate? Christ, I need to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

This thing is doing amazing at the box office which is funny since a 12a rated Robocop failed to do the same thing in the same weekend 2 years ago!
    This may outgross Robocops and Terminator Genisys's entire domestic gross in one weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

This thing is doing amazing at the box office which is funny since a 12a rated Robocop failed to do the same thing in the same weekend 2 years ago!
    This may outgross Robocops and Terminator Genisys's entire domestic gross in one weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Fantastic movie; fantastic representation of the character too.

Advertisement