Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadpool

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

'Deadpool' Sequel Already in the Works
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-sequel-works-863418
    Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, who wrote Deadpool, are writing the script for a follow-up, which has already been greenlit, insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not a great write up on the irish times. I was going to go to see it but will probably won't now. Why pay for it if it is such crap. I have to say the trailer didn't fill me with that much expectation anyway

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/deadpool-review-cheap-exploitative-unreconstructed-rubbish-1.2528469

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not a great write up on the irish times. I was going to go to see it but will probably won't now. Why pay for it if it is such crap. I have to say the trailer didn't fill me with that much expectation anyway

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/deadpool-review-cheap-exploitative-unreconstructed-rubbish-1.2528469

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

DellyBelly wrote: »

Sounds like he's never heard of deadpool before going to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Critic who is tired of comic book movies, doesnt like comic book movie.

Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

You do, however, encounter such things in the dire Kick Ass and the worse Kingsman

Got this far, knew enough to disregard the rest :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tbh, I can see why the type of humour wouldn't go down well with some people & it's no great surprise some are just going to hate the film; certainly if the red-band trailers have been anything to go by, the mixture of anarchic / infantile humour isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, so shaming the (admittedly overly) critical reviews doesn't really speak to much except this will very much be a 'Marmite' film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

maximoose wrote: »
    Got this far, knew enough to disregard the rest :)
    Kick ass was amazing. Kingsman was atrocious. And the trailer for Deadpool reminded me more of the latter which is why I won't be going to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yer man who does newstalks film review hated it too.

im just out of it now and i LOVED it.

what actually shocked me is just how much heart it has. ya could nearly get away with the joke "its a valentines day romance film" they were running with !

:D:D:D:D

the charisma between reynolds and yer wan from firefly works extremely well.

still your really here for the jokes and the action and IMO it does its job admirably. it doesnt throw the references in your face but if youve seen the marvel films that've gone before it theres pretty much something in there somewhere from the vast majority of em for people to notice.

kinda cool considering theyre refrencing stuff they dont have the rights to.

while its wildly different the best comparison i can come up with for this film is the first blade so it earns its rating.

TBH about the only real fear i have for it now is the sequel will be toned down to get a 12a or something.

8/10 from me. cant belive they pulled it off. couldve been a major fuk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Canadel wrote: »
    Kick ass was amazing. Kingsman was atrocious. And the trailer for Deadpool reminded me more of the latter which is why I won't be going to see it.

Funnily enough I avoided kingsman because I didnt like the sort of smug tone the trailer had, but ended up seeing it and enjoying it wholeheartedly, the fight scene in the church is worth the price of admission alone.

Deadpool is a completely different animal, theres no 4th wall breaking, mile a minute pop culture referential humor in kingsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Slydice wrote: »

Tracking for Deadpool is really surprising me. Curious as to what the second week drop will be; I'm wondering can it stretch its audience to give it some legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Canadel wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek:

how dare you :pac:

Have my tickets booked for this evening, cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Adamocovic wrote: »
    how dare you :pac:

I know!

That church scene, set to 'Freebird'....

A work of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I can't decide if I liked it overall or not. I enjoyed it while I was sitting there, I should say. But I only left the cinema like 2 hours ago, and a lot of the details of it have already slipped my mind.

I mean maybe thats the point, given how silly and self referential it is, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Is it out in Ireland already?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was released today yeah

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is it out in Ireland already?

Out since today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

meant to say found the distribution a bit mad.

its got TONS of showings in Vue (11 shows).

but the IMC near me only has two shows. the first not kicking off till 18.45 or so.

it goes up to 5 a day from there friday

i think they underestimated how popular its gonna be. will be seeing it again with the brother there on the monday.

:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Really? My local Odeon has over 10 showings a day.

Oh sweet chimichanga. I'm in love

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Went to the midnight screening in the Odeon in Limerick last night and was blown away by the crowds both showings were nearly full and the atmosphere was something else people were clapping moments in the film and there was an ovation at the end ,, It was really awesome being in such an alive cinema full of fans of the character there was on girl even dressed as lady deadpool

The movie was perfect probably one of the most accurate portrayal of a comic book character ever not neutered not changed around , Just bang on, Anyone who's read a deadpool comic will know whats going on and get it straight away

I think for regular cinema goers some people might find parts confusing
    4th wall breaking and mentioning of other movies
    but should still get most of the humour
    That Liam Neeson line alone had me in bits

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Absolutely loved it. Will definitely be catching it a few more times before it leaves the cinema.

Wed afternoon 4:30 showing cinema 3/4 full. Leaving cinema and people were lining up for the 6:45 show.

Great atmosphere throughout, Reynolds nailed the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

I never trust any reviews from papers or websites cause the reviewers are normally wrong and i generally trust comments by people here on boards for more accurate thoughts on a film. With that in mind my comment for anyone undecided about seeing this is go see it! Very enjoyable, funny and violent. It's what other superhero movies could or should be if they were left off their PG leashes.

Also:
    Were they fighting on the Avengers helicarrier at the end? First glance thought it was an ordinary aircraft carrier but there was one or two shots where you could see helicarrier type engines near the back. Be class if it was!

I never trust any reviews from papers or websites cause the reviewers are normally wrong and i generally trust comments by people here on boards for more accurate thoughts on a film. With that in mind my comment for anyone undecided about seeing this is go see it! Very enjoyable, funny and violent. It's what other superhero movies could or should be if they were left off their PG leashes.

Also:
    Were they fighting on the Avengers helicarrier at the end? First glance thought it was an ordinary aircraft carrier but there was one or two shots where you could see helicarrier type engines near the back. Be class if it was!
    It was definitely some sort of helicarrier

I loved seeing the X-men allowed to fight; Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    completely squashed three lads at one stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You should give The Voices a watch.

Watched this last night; fantastic film and excellent performance! Thanks for that!

Really enjoyed this, you could tell Reynolds really had a lot of fun making it, perhaps a little too much at times as he gets a little too confident in his character towards the end I felt. It's a really minor complaint as some of the lines had me in absolute stitches, I feel like they nailed the character and that's a huge fecking relief! Solid movie, deserving of a sequel that will surely get more than the $50 million budget this one had.
    8/10

As a side note, I feel like this movie will do really well. If that's the case then I hope we get more "R" rated movies rather than the censored watered down PG 13 shíte that's been pumped out for certain other movies in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

One word. Deadly.

Few more words, hilarious, enjoyable, captivating, cinematic masterpiece.

Good time had by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Gotta echo most of whats being said here I though it was bang on the nose for a deadpool movie.

Breath of fresh air for the superhero movies too 4th wall
    16th wall
    the jokes, references and the violence (not too over the top) and even nudity :pac:.

I will be getting the directors cut blu ray the second its out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What do you get when you combine a low-rent, generic superhero movie with a few smarmy, self-aware jokes? You mostly get a low-rent, generic superhero movie with smarmy, self-aware jokes. In other words, you get Deadpool. It's actually not even a very good generic superhero movie. In fact it's a really, really bad one. Poorly directed, cheaply put together and lacking even a basic semblance of tension, intrigue or cohesion. The action is bland, the CGI is terrible, and the supporting characters completely uninteresting. It runs through the motions, and occasionally making a joke about how you're going through the motions doesn't make it any better. It pretends to shirk conventions by making light of them, but really most of the time merely falls in line. Something like Jessica Jones is far less 'meta', but through its actions feels like a far more engaged and knowing response to prevalent trends and tropes in superhero fiction. That's not even going into something like Super which actively subverts expectations.
    ^^^Get a load of this tool! Trying to pick apart a silly superhero movie on an Irish internet forum. Biting! What the hell did you expect from a Deadpool movie? An Icelandic comic-drama about two feuding brothers and their sheep? That's over in the other cinema, douchebag!

You can add a ****ty love story there as well. Those Valentines posters were clearly intended as a joke, but they're not all that far off the mark either - this isn't too far from the sweet but crude rom-coms like Bridesmaids. There's an earnest and largely straight-played romance here, albeit with a few jokes about balls and face-sitting thrown in. Problem is, nowhere near enough space is given to allow it any sort of genuine credibility or emotional impact despite a genuine attempt to add some emotional weight to it. And sadly despite some early indications to the contrary (hell, in a trailer she says "I've played a lot of roles, damsel in distress ain't one of them"!), Morena Baccarin's character eventually ends up just being another 'superhero's love interest', waiting to be kidnapped. Give us actual characters if you want something to have any sort of impact.
    Question: If Morena Baccarin came knocking on your door, would you actually care if she was an 'actual character' or not? Didn't think so. Deadpool: 1. Douchebag: zero.

The film feels like a lazy attempt at hitting an 'R rating' as if an 'R rating' is something inherently edgy. So you have gratuitous nudity, blink-and-you'll-miss-'em shots of cartoon gore, swearing and gratuitous nudity. A notable proportion of the audience who will really appreciate that are probably too young to get in in the first place, and honestly there's much better places to go if you're looking for it. Mostly, it's an attempt to fit an incredible amount of penis, blowjob and anal sex jokes in there. I've seen Seth Rogen starring Judd Apatow films that are less boorish than this.
    Counter-point: Violence, sex and swearing are awesome. Also: Somebody needs a blowjob. Or at least some ball fondling. Also also: ****, ****, ****, ****, ****, **** (swear filter? really?)

This is purely subjective, but crucially for a film that sets itself up as a satire, Deadpool's biggest problem - beyond its rote storytelling, insipid direction and general lack of quality - is that it isn't funny. You can feel the writers' brains ticking over: 'quick, it's been 30 seconds since the last smartass quip. Better throw something in there'. The result is a comedy completely lacking in the unexpected, that has no sense of comedic flow. OK, the regenerating hand shot was pretty neat, but beyond that it's a film that seems content to simply throw out as many one-liners and already stale pop culture references as it can and see if they stick. For me anyway, none of them did.
    Jesus Christ, somebody get this guy a Holocaust movie, ASAP!

Deadpool, basically, is crap.
    And you're a prick *poo emoji*

Advertisement