Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Somehow, I dont think we would be discussing if it was a video of a girl saying how much her daddy screws over the social for.

Not because it wouldnt be removed, but because I dont think people would have such a burning desire to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

The woman in the leave it out videos didnt mind the attention she took it in good fun and has since participated in interviews
    and also the panto. I do however think there is a double standard in that the kpmg girl is better equipped to get the video taken down. But overall she was being abused by thousands of people. If someone put an embarassing video of me up without my permission up id make sure it was taken down

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I don't remember people getting into the personal details of those involved (stalking them on facebook etc), do you? Also, nobody was recognizable in said video, and the video itself was of a PUBLIC altercation on a busy street. People were able to discuss the public safety elements and their own personal experiences of being attacked in town.

This isn't what's happening here. In the slightest.

As I said, was just playing Devils Advocate, how about the Cork schoolgirl fights?

Now of course, since those events it may well have been decided here that no more discussion of such events is to be entertained on this site, which IMO would be a good idea. Sure it might piss a few people off who would want to talk about it but there are other places out there where you can talk about it. However think of all the mods, who are volunteers, doing this for free, in their spare time, who would have to sift through that trainwreck of a thread if it were to go ahead.

The only trouble with that is that situations like this need to be anticipated with the rules laid out in black and white as to what and who can and can't be talked about. Otherwise we're going to end up with another schitstorm a few weeks/months down the line, where something gets closed and a lot of folk are up in arms about that something being closed.

Apologies if I rambled on there, hopefully this makes sense to someone

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

newmug wrote: »
    Why are you defending this girl so much? Why are you giving so much wieght to "people discussing things on the internet"? Seriously, who gives a sh1t what anyone else says or does or thinks in life, whether it be a drunk idiot, a creepy fella recording doing some dubious recording, or random internet warriors talking about mundane subjects. Take care of your own life first, then worry about real issues, such as people dying from hunger and war etc. WGAF about some drunk D4 wannabee, or internet hereos talking about her.

Why do you want her bullied?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

There is something very fishy going on, how has her dad managed to censor the internet? Who is he paying to do all this,His finances need to be scrutinized thoroughly.

• Advertisement

Inbox wrote: »
    There is something very fishy going on, how has her dad managed to censor the internet? Who is he paying to do all this,His finances need to be scrutinized thoroughly.

He hasn't. Her dad, nor anybody else hasn't been in contact with Boards about it, as pointed out by Nicola already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

MarkMc wrote: »
    Somehow, I dont think we would be discussing if it was a video of a girl saying how much her daddy screws over the social for.

Disagree with you there. I think something like that would be discussed to a great length. And Im sure her daddy would end up caught by the social welfare too. Justice done.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

inmyday wrote: »
    No no, just debating the double standards on show here.

There is no double standard here.

The first thread appeared yesterday, it was reported 5 or 6 times in quick succession. Nearly all the reports included the word bullying. It was locked and snipped. It was deleted soon after. No doubt we would have gotten more reports otherwise.

The community spoke and we agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Not because it wouldnt be removed, but because I dont think people would have such a burning desire to discuss it.

I think we would.
    And I think it'd be allowed be discussed in AH.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What's really starting to grate for me about this case and some of the people wanting to "discuss it" is the "freedom of speech" type ballsology that's usually rolled out to reason/excuse/condone things like this. Freedom of speech my hole, call it as it is, puerile e-rubbernecking and faux outrage for the most part.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

g'em wrote: »
    There are a million different sites on the internet where users are free to post whatever they want. The web is awash with vitriol, spite, abuse, bullying and general nastiness. Boards is different, and we've worked hard to make it that way. By we I mean everyone from users to HQ - we don't want to be the new 4chan or askfm, if the video is hosted elsewhere then discuss it on those sites.

Again I'm amazed at the minority who so vehemently defend their perceived right to be offensive or have a go at someone else on the internet. Be my guest and do it somewhere else, but we do not, and will not, be party to making this individual's life more difficult than it has just become in the last 24 hours.

As above tbh.

If you want to mock someone who made an absolute tit of themselves, do it somewhere else. Consider Boards a discussion sites 'within limits'. Its not a free for all. Its a respectable site where people can chat away but if it goes to far, your out. Its never been, but people are up in arms mostly because of the KPMG and the money reference people are wanting to discuss it - begrudging someone who has a wealthy family. If it was your daughter or sister, you wouldn't be as quick to pass the video around and laugh at the poor girls expense.

I watched the video. It seems she was pushed into getting defensive and the drink didn't tell her to stop, neither did her friends. The fellas knew what they were at and kept it up, knowing full well the impact this would have. The video was cringe worthy but its global - even all these threads on Boards are topping the Search Engine, followed by the video.

I wouldn't want to see a site like Boards get involved in such a low-level discussion, its not what this site should stand for. Whatever impact this may or may not have, I wouldn't want to see Boards reference in the same grouping as these other low-level sites are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I dont. But some people need to grow themselves some backbone. First world issues and all that.

Sir Oxman wrote: »

I think we would.
    And I think it'd be allowed be discussed in AH.

Not if there was the witch hunt that there has been with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Well done on this, appropriate action from the mods and admins. The freak who posted this video (on youtube) should however be named and shamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I dont. But some people need to grow themselves some backbone. First world issues and all that.

What does that even mean?

"Tell me, when did you stop beating your wife/husband?"
    Talk about a loaded question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

My favourite part of the video is when she says "your not getting anything for Christmas"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Inbox wrote: »
    I think it is just that some people with no chips on their shoulders can see the incident for what it is; a drunk girl talking ****e, possibly even building upon what she was being told "Oy beh yore da makes loads a money dunn he?", but she is only 16, a sensitive age, not that that matters for cyber bulling to push people over the edge.

Not if there was the witch hunt that there has been with this.

Was the initial thread a witch-hunt? I didn't manage to catch it.
    Moderation is what's needed then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Well done on this, appropriate action from the mods and admins. The freak who posted this video (on youtube) should however be named and shamed.

Hello and welcome to the thread KPMG's highest earning partner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't see why people want a thread about it, it doesn't achieve very much. But I can understand why some see a double standard in these things. There have been plenty of videos of drunk/idiotic people posted on AH in the past and some pretty vitriolic comments posted in response to them. I presume the next time a video of a drunken scobe on the street is posted it will be treated with the same kid gloves as this one is?

No, because it was stopped before the inevitable. The Mods did the right thing, based on how its gone elsewhere. If you dont like it, use a google search and go somewhere else to discuss it

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

"Tell me, when did you stop beating your wife/husband?"
    Talk about a loaded question!

That is the only conclusion I can draw from some posts that want it discussed. I think some people actually want her to be cyber bullied.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

That's not fair to the mods though. There would be a serious amount of moderation required for this thread alone.
    We all know that even if a mod warning is put in place, some users will ignore it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Wibbs wrote: »
    call it as it is, puerile e-rubbernecking and faux outrage for the most part.

But isnt that what most of boards.ie is???

No, because it was stopped before the inevitable. The Mods did the right thing, based on how its gone elsewhere. If you dont like it, use a google search and go somewhere else to discuss it

This is the attitude I really have a problem with - I am reasonably discussing the topic in Feedback.
    What is the problem here?

LizT wrote: »
    That's not fair to the mods though. There would be a serious amount of moderation required for this thread alone.
    We all know that even if a mod warning is put in place, some users will ignore it.

That's a view alright, I was countering another poster who said that the inability to mod such a thread wasn't a consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

LizT wrote: »

Is that not what bans are for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Why are you defending this girl so much? Why are you giving so much wieght to "people discussing things on the internet"? Seriously, who gives a sh1t what anyone else says or does or thinks in life, whether it be a drunk idiot, a creepy fella recording doing some dubious recording, or random internet warriors talking about mundane subjects. Take care of your own life first, then worry about real issues, such as people dying from hunger and war etc. WGAF about some drunk D4 wannabee, or internet hereos talking about her.

So you leave this video up, the girl gets slated left, right and centre. She is basically cyberbullied and it could all end in tragic circumstances. I think that's a real issue tbh and I don't blame Boards for not wanting to get involved in it. It may die down quickly, it may rumble on with other sites but if this was my website I'd not want to risk adding flames to this particular fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

This is the attitude I really have a problem with - I am reasonably discussing the topic in Feedback.
    What is the problem here?

We're discussing Boards' reaction to the thread/video here, not the video. If we were discussing Boards reaction to a video in a thread about the video it'd get a bit paradoxical.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement