Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 154 ✭✭beaner88

Cyberbullying is the media fad of the day. No way should it be used as an excuse for censorship. If you're going to go out in public and spew the most vile language then tough. You can't sensor the internet so she will get what she deserves. Her parents as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Am i thé only one that thinks even wasting breath on some depessing teenage snob is pointless, let alone fighting the power for the right to do so?

As for earnestly passing it off as a vital touchstone on class friction in Ireland in the hope of justifying 100 pages of 'rich bitch' rants.....come on folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

beaner88 wrote: »
    You can't sensor the internet so she will get what she deserves. Her parents as well.
    Eh her parents did nothing... That kind of talk is the reason it's being censored.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

beaner88 wrote: »
    Cyberbullying is the media fad of the day. No way should it be used as an excuse for censorship. If you're going to go out in public and spew the most vile language then tough. You can't sensor the internet so she will get what she deserves. Her parents as well.

Ah in fairness her parents could be lovely people, we just dont know. They didnt do or say anything, they dont deserve to be drawn into this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

smash wrote: »
    She's a bully in real life, telling others that they'll get nowhere, or they can't afford 'real' shoes etc etc.

I think she is a bully.
    The lads are being called bullies and cowards for making the video. But really she is the bully. Even her friends knew she was out of line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

From what I can see, the video going viral started out from a double standard, because she is wealthy and her status is secure. The bullying she is getting is due to a double standard, stemming from chip on the shoulder class warfare.

Boards may have to rethink and double think what it allows in scenarios like this. But this girl is a minor and a private citizen. She is not an adult and not a public figure.

True, in fairness to the mods/admins it's a bit of a doozie to handle.

a) Given that the young lady in question was identified so readily.
    b) The time all this happened, Friday night/Saturday morning, probably nobody at HQ to make the call on it.

I'm sure there'll be the inevitable post-mortum and it'll be announced that
    a)The mods could have handled it better
    b)Some users really should be ashamed of themselves

Although some people in Latin Hall do need to sit down and figure out the groundrules as to who can and can't be spoken about here at some stage sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Mad that the chief point being raised online is about the abuse this girl may receive. Particularly when the video is of her bullying someone else over her superior wealth.

Horrible double standards but with the girl being underage and the clear provocation before the clip begins; it is understandable to just leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What's absolutely infuriating is that some people who are sympathetic to the girl* are avoiding responding to the issues here by discussing the video: the very thing that has been prohibited elsewhere. As well as attributing the issues people have with Boards' reaction to a class issue as though the only people who have a problem with the reaction are the "lower classes" out to get one over the "middle classes."

I don't think the discussion should be about this video, but about Boards' general stance on any thread with an undeserving subject.

Edit: In the time it took me to write this post people have started talking about her in a negative manner. Now both "sides" are having a go at each other. So that's good, this so far somewhat constructive thread will go off the rails too.

*I say some because I'm sympathetic to her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

On the positive side of things, now that half the country knows who she is and how old she is , she won't be getting admitted to pubs or served alcohol for about 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

I don't think she'll do it again, unless of course it gets 100% censored and she realises how powerful her position as one of the elite in Irish society actually is.

She's a bully in real life, telling others that they'll get nowhere, or they can't afford 'real' shoes etc etc. A witch hunt is not needed though and at this stage I'd say she knows what it's like to be on the receiving end.

Elite??? I was reporting every vid as it popped up on youtube and they took them down straight away.

I can only guess that the mod here found it distasteful and of no positive contribution to the forum. Which is correct .

Hey. I have an idea for ya. Go out tonight after 1am and spy on a table at eddie rockets. Ye might get to see the live drunk rant. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Mad that the chief point being raised online is about the abuse this girl may receive. Particularly when the video is of her bullying someone else over her superior wealth.

Was just thinking that myself. She was being the bully in the video, yet this seems to have been swept under the carpet and the "bullying" stance is flipped on its head. There should be at least a discussion on why some people see upper class bullying as acceptable and cyberbullying as a reason for blanket bans on the subject..

Daroxtar wrote: »
    On the positive side of things, now that half the country knows who she is and how old she is , she won't be getting admitted to pubs or served alcohol for about 18 months
    I wouldn't recognise her if I saw her, I doubt any bouncer would either. I'm guessing her dad won't let her leave the house anyway though!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What's absolutely infuriating is that some people who are sympathetic to the girl* are avoiding responding to the issues here by discussing the video: the very thing that has been prohibited elsewhere. As well as attributing the issues people have with Boards' reaction to a class issue as though the only people who have a problem with the reaction are the "lower classes" out to get one over the "middle classes."

I don't think the discussion should be about this video, but about Boards' general stance on any thread with an undeserving subject.

Edit: In the time it took me to write this post people have started talking about her in a negative manner. Now both "sides" are having a go at each other. So that's good, this so far somewhat constructive thread will go off the rails too.

*I say some because I'm sympathetic to her too.

Agreed

This thread should be about boards decisions only. It shouldn't be about the video.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Our stance and the actions taken have very little to do with cyber bullying, we knew no good would come from the video or threads so acted accordingly.

There is no double standard or enforcing of class divisions at play here, if, in any of the other cases mentioned we foresaw the potential for a huge amount of trouble then the same action would have been taken.

With stuff like this we have to take it on a case by case basis, applying a one size fits all rule simply isn't feasible.

brokenarms wrote: »
    Elite??? I was reporting every vid as it popped up on youtube and they took them down straight away.
    But you see, there's nothing in the video that required a report to youtube. In a public place, anyone can film anything they want. She was being abusive and the victim recorded it. You're missing that part!

And I say elite because its true, as evident from the blanket banning of the video. As mentioned earlier, if the guy had been abusing her, he'd have been arrested for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jacob T

I'm just after watching the video and think it actually highlights an even larger problem in Irish society, the rampant (acceptable) alcoholism which is screwing up young peoples lives. What sort of issues would you have in life that you need to get that twisted drunk every weekend to run away from. That might be a more interesting discussion, feel sorry for all parties involved in that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If there is a case for defamation to the girl and her family, then wouldn't it follow that the case should be brought against the person videoing the scene?

Wouldn't CCTV be used to identify that person?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Our stance and the actions taken have very little to do with cyber bullying, we knew no good would come from the video or threads so acted accordingly.

There is no double standard or enforcing of class divisions at play here, if, in any of the other cases mentioned we foresaw the potential for a huge amount of trouble then the same action would have been taken.

With stuff like this we have to take it on a case by case basis, applying a one size fits all rule simply isn't feasible.

I don't understand this at all. You seem to be saying that ridiculing and attacking someone is fine if it only happens a little bit, or if it happens in a calm and orderly fashion.

Edit:

Could you clarify what you mean by "trouble." If it's legal trouble then it absolutely is a class issue because the ability to pursue legal action is wholly determined by a person's resources. If it's trouble in the wider media then again class is an issue because someone's ability to influence the media is greatly influenced by wealth. Or it could be a aesthetic issue where the media is far more likely to report on "pretty white girls" as is very noted in child abduction cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why does it need to be discussed?
    Why does anything have to be discussed so?
    Feel free to start a blog and discuss what you wish. Or head to any othet site where discussions are on going.

AH will not be used as a place to flame a viral/ cyber bully attack.
    So an expression of interest is made to discuss a hot topic and you automatically rule that everybody who was / is going to get involved were going to do so with the intention flame/cyber bully. If thats how you really feel this was going to go then I suggest that you look long and hard at your position on this site.
    LizT wrote: »
    She didn't put herself in the public eye though. It's not like she filmed this on purpose to gain some noterity. She said some really stupid things, a lot of us do when we're drunk (admittedly not to the extent she did).

Difference is that usually we don't wake up the next morning to see it on YouTube, Facebook, twitter, boards etc.
    But she got caught and frankly, how she missed the camera is beyond me. It was in her face for a good seven minutes and she even managed to knock it out of his hands at one stage. It was filmed in public, it's fair game.
    g'em wrote: »
    There are a million different sites on the internet where users are free to post whatever they want. The web is awash with vitriol, spite, abuse, bullying and general nastiness. Boards is different, and we've worked hard to make it that way. By we I mean everyone from users to HQ - we don't want to be the new 4chan or askfm, if the video is hosted elsewhere then discuss it on those sites.

Again I'm amazed at the minority who so vehemently defend their perceived right to be offensive or have a go at someone else on the internet. Be my guest and do it somewhere else, but we do not, and will not, be party to making this individual's life more difficult than it has just become in the last 24 hours.
    This is an appalling attitude that you have. People want to use a popular discussion site where topics are discussed to discuss this matter and you automatically decide that it is because of "vitriol, spite, abuse, bullying and general nastiness."

Maybe people wanted to discuss the evident ill effects of alcohol in excess? Or the impact of modern technology in todays world or even that this girl made some very silly moves and discuss how she perhaps came of these opinions.

I don't want to make this girls life difficult. I don't believe many here do. What I do want is the ability to give feedback on the topic in an area reserved for feedback without being told "go elsewhere" by the admins of the site because if that's the way things work around here then this forum is redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The double standards argument; just because this girl talks in an accent, looks the way she does, and says the things she does, there is a mass amount of begrudging. This isn'ta typical random Irish person drunkenly ranting for that reason. People in Ireland take anyone down who is up on a pedestal. Fair play to the father for working hard in life, and fair play to the girl for not taking that crap the begrudgers like to throw.

• Advertisement

foxyboxer wrote: »
    If there is a case for defamation to the girl and her family, then wouldn't it follow that the case should be brought against the person videoing the scene?
    There is no case for defamation. It's like me going out to abuse someone, belittle them and tell them they're a cúnt, and then me suing them for defamation because they showed people a video of how I behave in real life. If there's a case for defamation it would be kpmg suing her for depicting their company in a snobby light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Discussion could have evolved on:
    Underage drinking.
    Parental supervision.
    Societal values.
    Ubiquity of every moment of everyday life being filmed and uploaded for public view.
    The rights and wrongs of those who videoed it.
    Privacy rights
    etc
    etc

As others have said on this thread, what prompted the sitewide ban on a discussion about this when moderation to that discussion could have been applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

But you see, there's nothing in the video that required a report to youtube. In a public place, anyone can film anything they want. She was being abusive and the victim recorded it. You're missing that part!

And I say elite because its true, as evident from the blanket banning of the video. As mentioned earlier, if the guy had been abusing her, he'd have been arrested for it.

Yes. I do understand that smash,

But please consider this,
    She was really badly drunk, she had no idea what she was doing. Im sure you have been really badly drunk at some stage in life and could not even remember what you said. Filter between head and mouth gone. Not even meaning what you where saying. I have. regrettably.
    Now if you woke up the next morning to find a video of you making a complete arse of yourself going world wide, how would you feel.

As an adult I would suck it up. But I also remember how sensitive I was as a teen and something like that would hit me like a ton of bricks.
    In fact I would want to leave the country..

I reported it as I put myself in her shoes seeing it the day after. Maybe Youtube, boards and the rest of the sites who took it down did also. Its very damaging .
    What she said was outrageous for sure. But she was saying it to a small crowd and not the entire world. She does not deserve to be witch hunted like this IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

foxyboxer wrote: »

Wouldn't CCTV be used to identify that person?

If there was a case for defamation (and I don't think there is) then any media which re-posted the video would also be liable, not just the person video-ing. Defamation doesn't just stop at the original defamer.
    example : people who just retweeted the paedophilia allegations against Lord McApline are being chased by his legal team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Guess who Boards.ie Ltd. and Distilled Media Ltd. use as auditors? KPMG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Should be kept in it's proper context, i.e drunken moron talking sh*te

The vulgar crassness of these Hiberno-Essex types gives them away as not worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

If someone slags someone for being posh/rich etc, surely that person can respond by slagging the other person for being broke/poor.
    That's slagging matches as I know them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Guess who Boards.ie Ltd. and Distilled Media Ltd. use as auditors? KPMG

OH MY GOD!

So?

It wouldn't change anything. Notice how Youtube, Dailymotion etc have been taking down the videos? Do they use KPMG too? The fact remains that there are legal implications to showing the video and Boards doesn't want that trouble. Hell, the audience guy in the Late Late was bringing out injunctions and Boards removed the videos and pics. The guy who was alleged to have done a runner from a taxi hit Boards with an injunction

Do their fathers work at KPMG too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

For me, the issue is that Boards.ie have taken fright because the girl probably has serious clout behind her. This is journalistic cowardice. However, this is a privately run board and they make the rules. If that includes a level of cowardice, so be it. Let's move on.

• Advertisement

brokenarms wrote: »

Yes. I do understand that smash,

But please consider this,
    She was really badly drunk, she had no idea what she was doing. Im sure you have been really badly drunk at some stage in life and could not even remember what you said. Filter between head and mouth gone. Not even meaning what you where saying. I have. regrettably.
    Now if you woke up the next morning to find a video of you making a complete arse of yourself going world wide, how would you feel.

As an adult I would suck it up. But I also remember how sensitive I was as a teen and something like that would hit me like a ton of bricks.
    In fact I would want to leave the country..

I reported it as I put myself in her shoes seeing it the day after. Maybe Youtube, boards and the rest of the sites who took it down did also. Its very damaging .
    What she said was outrageous for sure. But she was saying it to a small crowd and not the entire world. She does not deserve to be witch hunted like this IMO.
    I agreed that there shouldn't be a witch hunt. And like I said before, I'm sure she knows what it's like to be on the receiving end now.

Of course everyone does and says drunk things but this wasn't 1 silly sentence, it was strings of abuse towards people about how much better she was than them because of her dads job. At one point someone asks her to stop bumping into them and she abuses the girls because she's not wearing designer shoes...

In this day and age she should have known better. She even asked if the guy was recording, he said yes and she kept going on about how he was nothing and would never be anything.

Like I said, I'm sure she's learned her lesson unless of course it gets 100% censorship and then she'll feel untouchable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement