Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

This whole thing has become so f*cking stupid at this stage. Just to remind everyone where we're at:
    -a teenager says some stupid arrogant nonsense when they're drunk
    -it gets posted on the internet
    -half the members of boards seem like they would be willing to die for the right to berate her in afterhours
    -boards higher powers understandably go 'f*ck that' and don't want anything to do with it. People should also be aware that this brewing on other social media before it appeared on boards and wasn't heading a nice direction.If anything it was clear it was gonna be a disaster and I would've kept it as far away from my site as possible as well.

There isn't even that much to discuss here without insulting the chick. The discussion is pretty much as follows:

-"some Irish people are 'privileged' and could be more aware and modest in their dealings with other people and learn to understand that money isn't everything."

-"Yes, I agree. Hopefully this girl has learned her lesson and will view the world differently from now on."

Apart from the above, what else is there really to be said anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

griffdaddy wrote: »
    This whole thing has become so f*cking stupid at this stage. Just to remind everyone where we're at:
    -half the members of boards seem like they would be willing to die for the right to berate her in afterhours
    -boards higher powers understandably go 'f*ck that' and don't want anything to do with it. People should also be aware that this brewing on other social media before it appeared on boards and wasn't heading a nice direction.If anything it was clear it was gonna be a disaster and I would've kept it as far away from my site as possible as well.

There isn't even that much to discuss here without insulting the chick. The discussion is pretty much as follows:

-"some Irish people are 'privileged' and could be more aware and modest in their dealings with other people and learn to understand that money isn't everything."

-"Yes, I agree. Hopefully this girl has learned her lesson and will view the world differently from now on."

In a nut shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Wrong, no one really is bothered by the girl and her rant.

Its the reaction of this and other Irish websites to the video that is the point. I feel bad for the girl herself, we've all shot our mouths off young and drunk.

I (we) don't like they way the vid was wiped under the carpet , which has failed spectacularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You've got it spectacularly wrong. This thread/discussion has actually got very little to do with the actual content of the video. What we have been discussing was the reaction of the moderators/site staff to the video, and the subsequent swift, absolute and total closure of discussion.

In order to place this in the context posters here were seeing it, there had been previous recent threads with more objectionable content that didn't receive the same moderators attention. People were questioning the motive around the closure of the discussion and whether that the potential of people to sue boards was in fact driving moderation rather than some high minded notion of protecting vulnerable people and quality control.

Thats why there is 50 pages of posts on this.

Jelly 292 wrote: »

Its the reaction of this and other Irish websites to the video that is the point. I feel bad for the girl herself, we've all shot our mouths off young and drunk.

I (we) don't like they way the vid was wiped under the carpet , which has failed spectacularly.

No, no it wasn't wiped under the carpet and there was no attempt to wipe it under the carpet. It was more a case of 'not in my backyard' than 'protect the princess'. If you were legally culpable for the sh1t that appears on your site and this cropped up you'd want nothing to do with it either. The reason it was dealt with more swiftly and more decisively than usual is because you'd want to be blind not to see the sh1t storm it would bring. It was already causing a sh1t storm on many, many other sites. None of the videos that are being compared to here were creating the same kind of furor on other sites or came with the same 'media baggage'. Boards aren't responsible for how society creates and deals with certain classes and they sure as f*ck don't facilitate wealthy cover ups. They do occasionally go, 'I wouldn't touch that issue with a 10ft clown pole.' and this is one of those times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Precisely. It's good that this thread was not allowed but it's what Dav said (that the differentiating factor in why it was pulled because of the fact that her KPMG dad is likely to defend his reputation) that is debate worthy.

No, no it wasn't wiped under the carpet and there was no attempt to wipe it under the carpet. It was more a case of 'not in my backyard' than 'protect the princess'. If you were legally culpable for the sh1t that appears on your site and this cropped up you'd want nothing to do with it either. The reason it was dealt with more swiftly and more decisively than usual is because you'd want to be blind not to see the sh1t storm it would bring. It was already causing a sh1t storm on many, many other sites. None of the videos that are being compared to here were creating the same kind of furor on other sites or came with the same 'media baggage'. Boards aren't responsible for how society creates and deals with certain classes and they sure as f*ck don't facilitate wealthy cover ups. They do occasionally go, 'I wouldn't touch that issue with a 10ft clown pole.' and this is one of those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

What a simplistic, black and white world we live in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Without wanting to get into it again, The Cork Schoolgirls video received national attention in the Independent and was featured on the Six One News.

The other stories that we are comparing this to did have as much baggage. The only reason this story is causing such a stir here now is the terrible and inconsistent way it has been handled by the site staff and moderators.

You've got it spectacularly wrong. This thread/discussion has actually got very little to do with the actual content of the video. What we have been discussing was the reaction of the moderators/site staff to the video, and the subsequent swift, absolute and total closure of discussion.

In order to place this in the context posters here were seeing it, there had been previous recent threads with more objectionable content that didn't receive the same moderators attention. People were questioning the motive around the closure of the discussion and whether that the potential of people to sue boards was in fact driving moderation rather than some high minded notion of protecting vulnerable people and quality control.

Thats why there is 50 pages of posts on this.
    I don't see how the danger of boards being sued and 'taking a moral high ground' are mutually exclusive reasons for why the action was taken. As far as I can I see it was a decision based on all of these factors, and like I said, it was already causing sh1t on other sites. I don't understand how people are looking for some cover up here. Boards.ie, for various and understandable reasons, wanted nothing to do with this sh1t. Most other sites don't either and are taking similar action at the moment. It's clearly not entirely based on legal consequence either, otherwise the place would be moderated in a completely different way. I just think people are looking for something where there is nothing.

• Advertisement

I empathize with the position that boards.ie, politics.ie etc are in and I don't think any position can be adopted by them that will not polarize people.

I do feel though that the various web site owners/managers are terrified of being hung out to dry legally buy some powerful corporate legal teams for what ever contrived reason and therefore immediately hit the mute button on any discussion.

I mean come on, no discussion allowed here or on politics.ie and the video was removed from You Tube (its back now)

I'm betting this thread will be gon in the morning and Im suprised its been allowed to run this far.

To be honest, I feel sorry for the girl and boards.ie but sometyhing is fishy about the whole thing

Without wanting to get into it again, The Cork Schoolgirls video received national attention in the Independent and was featured on the Six One News.

The other stories that we are comparing this to did have as much baggage. The only reason this story is causing such a stir here now is the terrible and inconsistent way it has been handled by the site staff and moderators.

It's early days on this one yet and it's almost certain that the national media will pick up on it at some stage. Besides, the other stories actually had an issue worth discussing, I.e. Are our schools out of control? Did you ever have a fight in school? How are cameras affecting how kids behave?

What would be the constructive discussion from this video?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I empathize with the position that boards.ie, politics.ie etc are in and I don't think any position can be adopted by them that will not polarize people.

I do feel though that the various web site owners/managers are terrified of being hung out to dry legally buy some powerful corporate legal teams for what ever contrived reason and therefore immediately hit the mute button on any discussion.

I mean come on, no discussion allowed here or on politics.ie and the video was removed from You Tube (its back now)

I'm betting this thread will be gon in the morning and Im suprised its been allowed to run this far.

To be honest, I feel sorry for the girl and boards.ie but sometyhing is fishy about the whole thing

The fact that lawyers rule..

It's early days on this one yet and it's almost certain that the national media will pick up on it at some stage. Besides, the other stories actually had an issue worth discussing, I.e. Are our schools out of control? Did you ever have a fight in school? How are cameras affecting how kids behave?

I think its maybe two things -

The content of the video will be picked up by MSM from the angle of rich bankers daughter saying some daft stuff to some poor pleb, the divide between the have and have not's etc etc

While we are getting worked up about the reaction by mods to the video, not the contents of the video itself.

I think. Been an interesting thread anyway. Bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Maybe . but I feel that that because that silly girl brought so may factors and insults into one vid, that it had to be cut.

For instance. If this was a clip of some Girl/guy falling over and banging their head and saying fu*k then it would not be censored.

But the fact that she insulted everyone around her, assaulted the lad with the phone, insulted her father who is an important man in a big company. Insulted the same big company, give the strong impression that she maybe the victim of cyber bulling in this age. Insulted everyone who is not a partner in KPMG. Including people who work in Penny's. Anyone who makes 10 euro an hour.
    In fact everything , everybody,everywhere.

Boards are trying to keep out of it.

Its a real mess and its not even Monday morning yet.

Front page of the Sindo tomorrow I believe.

Holy Jaysus, I do feel sorry for her now, looks like a year in Aus for someone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Holy Jaysus, I do feel sorry for her now, looks like a year in Aus for someone...

Or rather I bet they'll be very sympathetic to her plight...

Jesus, that's ridiculous. I might actually try and come up with one of these videos and sell it to a viral marketing company. I'd be minted.

mhge wrote: »
    Or rather I bet they'll be very sympathetic to her plight...

lol, yeah, I forgot what country I was in for a moment:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can't believe I'm defending the Sindo but they are making a valid point.

We would not allow the abuse allowed on other sites about Mr. McEntee on politics, (indeed there were comments criticising our long standing policy on other sites) , we allow criticism and plenty of it, which anybody who reads politics would know, but not downright hurtful personal attacks.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

K-9 wrote: »
    Can't believe I'm defending the Sindo but they are making a valid point.

We would not allow the abuse allowed on other sites about Mr. McEntee on politics, (indeed there were comments criticising our long standing policy on other sites) , we allow criticism and plenty of it, which anybody who reads politics would know, but not downright hurtful personal attacks.

boards.ie is moderated. I haven't seen the article but isn't there an argument than blanket deletion of anything discussing the video means that those supporting the person don't get their say heard?

Those people are going to be drowned out and lost in the comments section of youtube etc.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Having read this entire thread, and not having seen the video (I have no particular desire to see it), I'm struggling to think of a rationale for keeping it open.

I'm not seeing anything in the way of constructive feedback here. I'm seeing some rather strange argument to the effect that preventing discussion of the video is driving people to seek it out, which (a) misses the point, and (b) rather spectacularly misses the point that allowing discussion of it will even more directly cause people to seek it out. I'm seeing some posts that are, to all intents and purposes, calling Dav and Nicola liars, by directly contradicting their explanations of why boards.ie has taken the position it has, and espousing what are little more than conspiracy theories in support of this contradiction. I'm seeing posts that are demanding that boards.ie be completely consistent in its response to every single issue that crops up, despite the impossibility of such perfect consistency when human judgement is concerned (not to mention bizarro-world Irish defamation law), and with scant regard for the fact that boards.ie has to try to keep pace with the changing mores of a changing society.

In short, I'm seeing a lot more heat than light in this thread; I'm seeing precious little feedback; I'm not seeing much that will contribute to boards.ie being a better place for us all to hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

At the end of the day, this happened in Ireland. It's the only reason this has blown up so big on Boards. If it was anywhere else in the world nothing would have been done about it.
    The only company or people that should fear getting sued if it comes to that is the bar she was served in.

Over reaction on the side of Boards. Has any other Irish media group decided to restrict discussion or printing on this incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

It took this to open your eyes to the double standards that exist in our society?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Interesting that the story has now made the national medja. Having read the article I wonder now if that could change the stance on talking about it.

A few things stand out from the article though.

1 - No names are mentioned without consent - that can only be a good thing and if discussion on the topic were allowed here a similar rule should apply.

2 - no company names are mentioned - again another good idea.

Do we have a possible set of rules that we could apply here on the strength of this, i.e. its fine to discuss the incident provided that nobody and no companies are named?

The article itself is on the front page of the Sindo if anyone else wants to have a read of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

pithater1 wrote: »
    Interesting that the story has now made the national medja. Having read the article I wonder now if that could change the stance on talking about it.

A few things stand out from the article though.

1 - No names are mentioned without consent - that can only be a good thing and if discussion on the topic were allowed here a similar rule should apply.

2 - no company names are mentioned - again another good idea.

Do we have a possible set of rules that we could apply here on the strength of this, i.e. its fine to discuss the incident provided that nobody and no companies are named?

The article itself is on the front page of the Sindo if anyone else wants to have a read of it.

The title of the video is KPMG daddys girl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Yurt wrote: »
    The title of the video is KPMG daddys girl :pac:

I know what you mean but by not mentioning the company name you should potentially remove the legal threat from it. Not a legal expert but by not mentioning the company name you don't have it coming up in Google searches with the result obviously painting the company in a negative light.

Avoiding the risk of getting sued is one way of ensuring the conversation would be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Rabies wrote: »
    At the end of the day, this happened in Ireland. It's the only reason this has blown up so big on Boards. If it was anywhere else in the world nothing would have been done about it.
    The only company or people that should fear getting sued if it comes to that is the bar she was served in.

Over reaction on the side of Boards. Has any other Irish media group decided to restrict discussion or printing on this incident?

Broadsheet.ie also took it down and killed discussion off thier own bat it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Okay, well this thread has been quiet for a couple of hours. There appears to be nothing else groundbreaking to say about the matter, so I'm going to lock this pending the 'story' in today's papers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement