Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Anyone got a link to the vid? PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm just stunned at how quickly Daddy or kpmg or whoever has acted to mop up this video and attempt to remove it from the web. No wonder she has such a sense of entitlement. She's untouchable. Now, it's not the worst video, pretty standard drunken fare. The unusual part is the rapid shutdown of it. I can see why it happened, that company have a lot of clout. But plenty of other 16 year old girls make an online eejit of themselves. To claim high moral ground in removing this one is a clear double standard.

Just to be clear-no action has been taken, our action in removing it was pre-emptive.

Edit to add: there is no cover up or conspiracy, we saw the video, saw how quickly it went viral and knew that no good could come from it.

john47832 wrote: »
    Nonsense, most people on here are defending the right to "discuss", not have a go. We have been prevented from discussing the topic on boards. And for most it is the reason behind this which reeks of censorship.

Would you say the same if it was you in an equally embarrassing situation? What is there to discuss? Honestly? What points about the video do you feel we are missing out on?

This reaction is pretty scary - people literally looking for some young girl to tear apart because she's perceived as being better off and so "deserving" of a good taking down of a notch or two.

edit: NOT TO MENTION that we have had *sisters* in this country commit suicide in the last few months over online abuse. How can people be so thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Saganist wrote: »
    If you seen the video you'd see that the lad clearly says he is going to upload it to youtube yet she continues her vitriol. Ok, its not fair to bully anyone in any circumstances but it seems Boards stance on this is way OTT. I wonder would the same reaction be made from Boards if it was someone from a disadvantaged area throwing abuse in a public area while drunk. I have my doubts.

She was drunk and prob not thinking straight. The red mist had descended and when that happens people lose a lot of common sense.

Tbh I'm not a fan of any videos being uploaded on to the internet whether it be one like this or people filming the 'local loon'/character walking round town. It's done for one reason only in most cases, ridicule. Celebrities put themselves out there in the public eye and deserved to be shot down but ordinary people being filmed without their permission so somebody can upload it to the internet for others 'entertainment' is just not right imo.

@those who sent me the link, cheers!!! Meh TBH. Usual Saturday night stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

newmug wrote: »

Yep. And yet we cant discuss it. I wonder why that is ?

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Would you say the same if it was you in an equally embarrassing situation? What is there to discuss? Honestly? What points about the video do you feel we are missing out on?

This reaction is pretty scary - people literally looking for some young girl to tear apart because she's perceived as being better off and so "deserving" of a good taking down of a notch or two.

edit: NOT TO MENTION that we have had *sisters* in this country commit suicide in the last few months over online abuse. How can people be so thick.

Brilliant post! Wish I could thank it more than once

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Time to play Devils Advocate...

I'm sure we all remember the 'Ah Heor' video that emerged from Talbot Street last spring.

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, should we have been able to talk about that incident here?

Broadly similar incidents with the main exception being that the individuals involved would be of a lower socio-economic class than the individual featured in the current video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

newmug wrote: »
    Welcome to the Internet. You could spend your Saturday using google instead. Knock your socks off it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Joe Duffy and RTÉ won't touch this

FM104 and that drunk driver who does the phone in show has material for the next few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Some people are wondering why the video is being pulled and why there can be no reasonable debate on the video. There is a serious double standard when we consider similar videos have been discussed in the past and the only difference is the subjects of these videos have not had a reasonable amount of cash behind them. For the record AH, in my opinion, is not the place for such debate to take place.

With the greatest respects, 'reasonable' debate will not come about from this video, and the moderation involved isn't something I'd wish on any of our volunteer Mod team.

pithater1 wrote: »

I'm sure we all remember the 'Ah Heor' video that emerged from Talbot Street last spring.

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, should we have been able to talk about that incident here?

Broadly similar incidents with the main exception being that the individuals involved would be of a lower socio-economic class than the individual featured in the current video.

Exactly. Following the KPMG logic. Those vids should have been pulled. The poor woman didnt deserve to have numerous videos made of her along with numerous offending posts and posted to Boards.ie..... Mmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Quazzie wrote: »
    What it boils down to is that AH mods cannot properly and effectively moderate AH.

Eh, no. The guys and gals that Mod AH do a great job in a seriously high traffic forum. What this boils down to is,

A) Boards is a private website, which sets policies on what can or cant be posted. Legal action can be taken (it hasn't, but its being pre-emptive)

B) Some people have a serious desire to lambast and abuse this girl. There is no need for a thread on it

Either way, try politics.ie or some other site like that, I'm sure they'll love that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

But what about the cork school girls that were fighting? It was a free for all. "knackers", "scum" etc.
    Boards.ie allowed it all. There was nothing to discuss, but everyone had an opinion on the fight.

It was everywhere, all over papers and tv too. I felt bad for them girls. They even got in trouble off the school didnt they?

Yep. And yet we cant discuss it. I wonder why that is ?

Would you like your drunken Saturday nights recorded and discussed on the internet? You know those drunken moments that still make you cringe when you think back on them, yeah those seen by everyone who has internet access. I doubt you would tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Exactly. Following the KPMG logic. Those vids should have been pulled. The poor woman didnt deserve to have numerous videos made of her along with numerous offending posts and posted to Boards.ie..... Mmmmm.

I really don't see how you can compare the videos like for like. You cant easily identify the people in the 'ah heor' video, nor are any of the people in that video underage.

kfallon wrote: »
    Would you like your drunken Saturday nights recorded and discussed on the internet? You know those drunken moments that still make you cringe when you think back on them, yeah those seen by everyone who has internet access. I doubt you would tbh

Have you seen the video ?

pithater1 wrote: »

I don't remember people getting into the personal details of those involved (stalking them on facebook etc), do you? Also, nobody was recognizable in said video, and the video itself was of a PUBLIC altercation on a busy street. People were able to discuss the public safety elements and their own personal experiences of being attacked in town.

This isn't what's happening here. In the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    People are not defending their perceived right to be offensive

I think some people are doing exactly that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

MarkMc wrote: »
    A) Boards is a private website, which sets policies on what can or cant be posted. Legal action can be taken (it hasn't, but its being pre-emptive)

Again, there's lots of threads over which legal action could be taken. This thread isn't special in that regards. What is special is the likelihood of legal action because of the girl's situation.
    B) Some people have a serious desire to lambast and abuse this girl. There is no need for a thread on it

I've pointed out another thread with similar circumstances, but nothing has ever been done about it.

I don't think there should be a thread about the video. I think Boards' reaction is correct. However it's the motives for the action that are questionable. If Boards is going to take a more ethical stance on all threads now that'd be the best outcome possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

MarkMc wrote: »
    Eh, no. The guys and gals that Mod AH do a great job in a seriously high traffic forum. What this boils down to is,

Either way, try politics.ie or some other site like that, I'm sure they'll love that.

Just above^, another mod has admitted the thought of actually modding a discussion thread on this incident (at this point, I believe it's about the speed and extent of the video takedown) is one of the reasons for the blanket ban on any discussion.

Examples of previously allowed videos and discussions involving lesser mortals is a bit hypocritical but as is rolled out time and again, this is a private site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In my time in AH I cant remember an ordinary child being witch hunted like this. Boards cant have a hand in that.
    +1. I seem to recall a thread in AH about some video or other of someone with a mental illness and it was hopped on and closed PDQ.

On that score maybe it's also time to look at the thread in the Cork forum about local "characters"?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

kfallon wrote: »

Why are you defending this girl so much? Why are you giving so much wieght to "people discussing things on the internet"? Seriously, who gives a sh1t what anyone else says or does or thinks in life, whether it be a drunk idiot, a creepy fella recording doing some dubious recording, or random internet warriors talking about mundane subjects. Take care of your own life first, then worry about real issues, such as people dying from hunger and war etc. WGAF about some drunk D4 wannabee, or internet hereos talking about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 heisenburger

The girl is 16, that's a fact. I don't know her at all but this is terrible cyber bullying IMO. Shame on the guy who put it up on the internet. You can hear one of his chronies shouting "Say World Star Hip Hop" which is a site that has posted controversial videos on the past. Youtube is also mentioned. The intent is there.

What we don't see is the winding up before the camera was turned on. I'm sure there were all kinds of words exchanged before the filming, perhaps this had even been a joke between the groups? I've seen it before, people slagging off "D4 Heads" (as much as I hate the term) and them then acting over the top as a way of brushing it off.

She's talking utter nonsense but please, I think we've all said things that we've been mightly glad there wasn't a camera there to capture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I think it was/is a wise decision not to encourage more vocalisation around this video. It's somewhat confounding the amount of abuse it is receiving from normally mature people. It has shown up a couple of times on my facebook feed, with what I perceive to be basically class warfare inspired vitriol, along the lines of she deserves the bullying she is getting because she thinks she is a cut above herself and she is wealthy. That to me is the shocking part, not the actual video, but its responses.

If mature adults, parents, good citizens are responding in such a way, I can only imagine what a free for all it would turn into.

If boards as a platform allows it on their site, they are somewhat encouraging and facilitating the further humiliation of this girl, who is just a young girl who said stupid things under the influence. Geez you'd think no one ever did that before huh?

All in all it is a good decision not to further assist this cyber witch hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Celtic_Horizon

Something to think about! If the roles had been reversed and was lads giving her insults they would have been arrested by now.
    The wealthy in Ireland can get away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Yeah fight the power! Boards have no right to stop us talking about it. Its our right to use this website for free anonymously and say what we like...

So I get this straight: 16 year old girl gets in a confrontation after a few drinks. We do not know the first half of it, only her "reply". Her reply is that her daddy is richer than the person she is talking to. Now, what users are saying, is that it is so important that we discuss this pivotal moment in Irish social history, that we ignore all the things we know about cyber bullying.

This will ruin the girls life for many months, possibly years. Some people think thats not far enough.
    Alls fun and games until someone tops themself, is that the rule?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

I think some people are doing exactly that.

No no, just debating the double standards on show here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Keitho

I watched this video on Ebaums or should I say I read the comments which were absolutely appalling. Some are unrepeatable. These are comments, some with complete malice directed toward a coming of age teenager who is simply young, immature and drunk. The girl does not deserve the hatred being directed toward her especially now that it has gone global. For all you judge and jurors saying it's fair game it's simply not. The guys who put it online are bullies and cowards. And before anyone asks, I come from a modest working class background. Yes her comments were not exactly nice or pleasant, but seriously does the world need to know? What if it was your younger sister that was in this vid, how would you react?

• Advertisement

Anyway. Whats wrong with a mod note in a thread ? Thats all it would take to spurn any bullying comments. It works in every other thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement