Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

For peace of mind and an easy Saturday (read not having to lock threads every 5 minutes) it might be worth stickying why we shouldn't really be talking about this incident up in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

MugMugs wrote: »
    And once again Boards won't permit discussion on a video others are hosting and discussing.

So what if she was drunk and underage? She was in the public eye and as such is fair game. I'm not condoning people bullying her but I don't see why Boards members once again can't discuss this matter on Boards.ie

Because there's a very good chance it would descend into bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

This thread is about the closure of threads on this topic, this obviously has come as a directive from someone in authority. Can we have the name of this person and the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

MarkMc wrote: »

Thats bullsh*t and you know it. There's a very good chance that any thread on here that involves a real life person could descend into bullying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

And once again Boards won't permit discussion on a video others are hosting and discussing.

So what if she was drunk and underage? She was in the public eye and as such is fair game. I'm not condoning people bullying her but I don't see why Boards members once again can't discuss this matter on Boards.ie

There's one reason why boards.ie is no place for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MarkMc wrote: »

Well then moderate it. Pre moderate it if need be. This incessant wrapping ourselves up into cotton wool is tiresome.

Quazzie wrote: »

Thats bullsh*t and you know it. There's a very good chance that any thread on here that involves a real life person could descend into bullying.

Yes, and imo they should be closed once it does. This is just being pre-emptive. Anyway, Nicola has given the position of Boards HQ, I think everyones clear what the position is, so there really is no point in arguing

Well then moderate it. Pre moderate it if need be. This incessant wrapping ourselves up into cotton wool is tiresome.

Easier said than done. Also, you cant pre-moderate a specific thread, it has to be forum wide. Anyway, I've said my piece, ciao.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i dont think that its illegal to post a video of a underage girl taken in a public place for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why does it need to be discussed?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

i dont think that its illegal to post a video of a underage girl taken in a public place for starters.

There's nothing illegal about posting a video of anyone in a public place, be they drunk or underage. And there's nothing defamatory about the video either seeing as it's truth. The issue comes with what people say in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This reeks of double standards.

Scumbag howls racist abuse on a train, fire away lads; chances are she's not lawyered up. Princess howls abuse at people in a different social class to her, stop; her doddy has a few bob and will sue us.

People should be allowed post the video and discuss it on boards, but I would suggest it is done on one of the stricter fora where you're less likely to get trolls; maybe Humanities.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Feel free to start a blog and discuss what you wish. Or head to any othet site where discussions are on going.

AH will not be used as a place to flame a viral/ cyber bully attack.

No its not, and with that its not illegal to discuss it on an open public forum. Which is why people think its outside influences which may be taken into consideration when applying a blanket ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

She didn't put herself in the public eye though. It's not like she filmed this on purpose to gain some noterity. She said some really stupid things, a lot of us do when we're drunk (admittedly not to the extent she did).

Difference is that usually we don't wake up the next morning to see it on YouTube, Facebook, twitter, boards etc.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm just stunned at how quickly Daddy or kpmg or whoever has acted to mop up this video and attempt to remove it from the web. No wonder she has such a sense of entitlement. She's untouchable. Now, it's not the worst video, pretty standard drunken fare. The unusual part is the rapid shutdown of it. I can see why it happened, that company have a lot of clout. But plenty of other 16 year old girls make an online eejit of themselves. To claim high moral ground in removing this one is a clear double standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

There are a million different sites on the internet where users are free to post whatever they want. The web is awash with vitriol, spite, abuse, bullying and general nastiness. Boards is different, and we've worked hard to make it that way. By we I mean everyone from users to HQ - we don't want to be the new 4chan or askfm, if the video is hosted elsewhere then discuss it on those sites.

Again I'm amazed at the minority who so vehemently defend their perceived right to be offensive or have a go at someone else on the internet. Be my guest and do it somewhere else, but we do not, and will not, be party to making this individual's life more difficult than it has just become in the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm just stunned at how quickly Daddy or kpmg or whoever has acted to mop up this video and attempt to remove it from the web. No wonder she has such a sense of entitlement. She's untouchable. Now, it's not the worst video, pretty standard drunken fare. The unusual part is the rapid shutdown of it. I can see why it happened, that company have a lot of clout. But plenty of other 16 year old girls make an online eejit of themselves. To claim high moral ground in removing this one is a clear double standard.

It seems like there is one rule for one class and another for the "other" classes.

Makes a joke of this forum to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    This reeks of double standards.

Scumbag howls racist abuse on a train, fire away lads; chances are she's not lawyered up. Princess howls abuse at people in a different social class to her, stop; her doddy has a few bob and will sue us.

People should be allowed post the video and discuss it on boards, but I would suggest it is done on one of the stricter fora where you're less likely to get trolls; maybe Humanities.

That would strike me as an interesting debate to have in Humanities alright. It would have to be kept abstract though because:

a)It's not exactly fair on the individual to be named and shamed in a public arena like boards.
    b)It would invite all sorts of potential legal nightmares.

Maybe 'Double Standards if somebody is filmed making a fool of themselves in public based on their socio-economic background' would make an appropriate title?

Humanities mods, if ye want it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Oryx wrote: »

In my time in AH I cant remember an ordinary child being witch hunted like this. Boards cant have a hand in that.

• Advertisement

g'em wrote: »
    There are a million different sites on the internet where users are free to post whatever they want. The web is awash with vitriol, spite, abuse, bullying and general nastiness. Boards is different, and we've worked hard to make it that way. By we I mean everyone from users to HQ - we don't want to be the new 4chan or askfm, if the video is hosted elsewhere then discuss it on those sites.

Again I'm amazed at the minority who so vehemently defend their perceived right to be offensive or have a go at someone else on the internet. Be my guest and do it somewhere else, but we do not, and will not, be party to making this individual's life more difficult than it has just become in the last 24 hours.

The problem is that there are equally as offensive threads that are happily left continue.

Amen. If you're seriously complaining that you're not getting the chance to publicly slate some teenage girl on the internet, then it could just be time to reevaluate your 'life'.

In my time in AH I cant remember an ordinary child being witch hunted like this. Boards cant have a hand in that.

Hardly a witch hunt.

I think the response ye are seeing is due to the blanket ban on anything "KPMG girl" related.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Lyaiera wrote: »

The problem is that there are equally as offensive threads that are happily left continue.

Such as? Certainly not any ones involving someone underage that I can recall recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Whatever about the girls attitude I would imagine I'd get pretty wound up if someone decided to film me at the end of a night out without my say so.

We've all done embarrassing things on nights out (especially when we are young), no need for it to be posted on the internet.

I hate people with cameras/recording phones on nights out, a real pet hate of mine.

Nonsense, most people on here are defending the right to "discuss", not have a go. We have been prevented from discussing the topic on boards. And for most it is the reason behind this which reeks of censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What it boils down to is that AH mods cannot properly and effectively moderate AH.

LizT wrote: »
    Such as? Certainly not any ones involving someone underage that I can recall recently.

No. Ones involving even more at-risk people: the mentally disabled. Which I've pointed out already in this thread.

"The Characters of Cork" thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=292579

kfallon wrote: »
    Whatever about the girls attitude I would imagine I'd get pretty wound up if someone decided to film me at the end of a night out without my say so.

We've all done embarrassing things on nights out (especially when we are young), no need for it to be posted on the internet.

I hate people with cameras/recording phones on nights out, a real pet hate of mine.

If you seen the video you'd see that the lad clearly says he is going to upload it to youtube yet she continues her vitriol. Ok, its not fair to bully anyone in any circumstances but it seems Boards stance on this is way OTT. I wonder would the same reaction be made from Boards if it was someone from a disadvantaged area throwing abuse in a public area while drunk. I have my doubts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I think you are muddying the issue here, g'em. People are not defending their perceived right to be offensive and you suggesting that this is their intent is quite ignorant of the issue here.

Some people are wondering why the video is being pulled and why there can be no reasonable debate on the video. There is a serious double standard when we consider similar videos have been discussed in the past and the only difference is the subjects of these videos have not had a reasonable amount of cash behind them. For the record AH, in my opinion, is not the place for such debate to take place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement